Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does anyone have a modern 27" 1440p on a UPS or other mechanism to measure its power draw during gaming or other demanding work? I have a 3x1 set of CFL-backed 24" 1200p displays drawing 200/3 W whether in-game or at the desktop, and that's not something I feel like inflicting on the planet anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Does anyone have a modern 27" 1440p on a UPS or other mechanism to measure its power draw during gaming or other demanding work? I have a 3x1 set of CFL-backed 24" 1200p displays drawing 200/3 W whether in-game or at the desktop, and that's not something I feel like inflicting on the planet anymore.

I mean, you can just look at the listed power draw for an idea. The LG 27GL83A-B is listed at an average 51W draw when operating, as one example. So you’ll likely save a bit of power but you’re not going to be drawing 20W or anything - operating a large panel takes energy, and you’re not going from a technology as inefficient as incandescent.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Power usage in monitors is mostly down to the backlight. Going from CCFLs to LEDs is going to reduce power usage (and heat, which matters if the space is also cooled) by a significant margin, but the exact numbers are going to depend on brightness.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Well that's just it - my current monitors are max 400 nits rated at 90W but since I run at about 70% brightness I hit 67W. The Dell 27" I'm looking at is also rated at 90W and 400 nits, so max numbers are either unrepresentative or not much better...?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Power usage in monitors is mostly down to the backlight. Going from CCFLs to LEDs is going to reduce power usage (and heat, which matters if the space is also cooled) by a significant margin, but the exact numbers are going to depend on brightness.

CCFLs are only about 15-20% less efficient than LEDs, so it isn’t that significant a margin.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If anyone else is having that issue with the M32U or other monitors with a lot of bandwidth requirement, where the monitor goes black intermittently, I did a cursory google today and holy poo poo it's a super prolific problem, someone on another site said they were only able to resolve it by using 4:2:2 chroma subsampling which means nothing to me unfortunately.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

User reviews for the Gigabyte monitors have been quite poor so I’m surprised people here have been recommending it sight unseen

Very much a you get what you pay for situation

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

shrike82 posted:

User reviews for the Gigabyte monitors have been quite poor so I’m surprised people here have been recommending it sight unseen

They're fairly expensive? I'm very happy with mine it just has this weird black screen poo poo every now and then.

Also this issue exists across a wide range of the higher bandwidth monitors so it's not nearly an m32u specific issue. Maybe it's common to the panel they use - I don't really keep up in any way with the panels used by every manufacturer etc.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's most likely the cable or crap on the connection. Or maybe if you're really unlucky, it was caused by PCB damage when you murdered that poor innocent USB cable.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

K8.0 posted:

It's most likely the cable or crap on the connection. Or maybe if you're really unlucky, it was caused by PCB damage when you murdered that poor innocent USB cable.

As per my previous email it's prolific across a wide number of panels. What I googled showed that a ton of us have 3090s but I suspect that's just that people buying more expensive monitors are also buying more expensive hardware and not really a causal thing. Guess we'll find out!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

shrike82 posted:

The M32U is nightly rated, recommended on Rtings and I went and looked at it in person before buying. I now have two. They’re great!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Smythe posted:

update on my m32u huge monitor with kvm: its cool. the kvm is a little wonky but thats to be expected with kvm. the winders side works way better than the thunderbolt side tho.

monitor modes get wacky sometimes - shell closed it goes to hdr mode (toggled in settings) and brighness and such cant be changed. ? shell open and its normal.

sometimes in Reading Mode or anything w/ low brightness this monitor makes a high pitch whine. nobody else experiences this and im too cheap to return it or whatever also also instantly tossed the packaging when it booted, but if u change it to a higher brightness mode the whine goes away. it doesn't whine even in low brightness once it's "warmed up" it appears. pretty weird. whatever.

overall 10/10 for a huge monitor with a built in kvm

Seconded. It was so good that I bought another when it was on sale. Now I’ve got 98” of monitor and it’s kinda ridiculous but the 12 year old in me thinks it’s rad as gently caress.

E: no black screen issue here with both at 144hz but I make sure to get proper spec cables from reliable companies. Running DP 1.4 cables currently since my 2080Ti doesn’t do HDMI 2.1

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 25, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I'm using a well reviewed 1.4 cable and having that issue. Guess I could try another GPU output port.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Have a 5 year old Dell monitor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0149QBOF0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Saw something odd this morning where it looks like a sliver of pixels from the middle of the monitor have moved over to the side:

Basically a ~10 pixel column, from top to bottom, is now rendered on the left side which should be in the middle. I tested this on both a DP and HDMI input and same behavior (inputs are from different computers too).

Is the panel dead/broken? I don't see any menu items to "shift" anything.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Doh004 posted:

Have a 5 year old Dell monitor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0149QBOF0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Saw something odd this morning where it looks like a sliver of pixels from the middle of the monitor have moved over to the side:

Basically a ~10 pixel column, from top to bottom, is now rendered on the left side which should be in the middle. I tested this on both a DP and HDMI input and same behavior (inputs are from different computers too).

this really seems like a gpu/driver issue imo. although it might worth testing with a linux usb to see if it’s still doing it there

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mediaphage posted:

this really seems like a gpu/driver issue imo. although it might worth testing with a linux usb to see if it’s still doing it there
The part about it doing the same thing on two different inputs sourcing from different computers seems to count that out.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mediaphage posted:

wolrah posted:

The part about it doing the same thing on two different inputs sourcing from different computers seems to count that out.

That's correct. One is a Windows PC with a 3080 (display port) and the other is a Macbook with a USB-C -> HDMI dongle. I have a dual monitor setup and the other monitor is not experiencing it.

Only other thing I could think of is maybe a monitor firmware? Is that a thing?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh, i completely missed that, my bad.

firmware is definitely a thing but i’m not sure if monitors could get updates 10 years ago without being shipped back. my ultrasharp certainly couldn’t.

circuitry inside displays for sure can fail. sometimes they’ve gotten too hot, or caps can leak. i’d email dell and just ask if they’ve seen this before, but i doubt you’d get any kind of useful response.

i know you said there isn’t anything with regards to shifting, but have you played around in it to see if changing things around can reset something that’s stuck? additionally, has it had an extended power down period lately?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Doh004 posted:

This is a very, very common issue with g-sync modules. Turn it off and let it sit for 2 minutes, turn it back on and maybe it goes away. If not, try fully unplugging it for maybe 20 minutes and maybe that fixes it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mediaphage posted:

oh, i completely missed that, my bad.

No worries!

K8.0 posted:

This is a very, very common issue with g-sync modules. Turn it off and let it sit for 2 minutes, turn it back on and maybe it goes away. If not, try fully unplugging it for maybe 20 minutes and maybe that fixes it.

This did it! We're back to normal. Thank you all for the help!

I was *kinda* excited I'd have an excuse to change up my monitor setup to a single ultrawide but I guess I'll have to keep going with this!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

K8.0 posted:

My XB271HU does this, too. It's definitely the g-sync module. I turn the monitor off and back on nearly immediately (no need to wait X amount of time) for the module to do its handshake business. Letting the display go to sleep/standby almost always results in a truncated slice appearing on either the left or right edge of the screen when it wakes back up, necessitating a power cycle. Sometimes Win+Ctrl+Shift+B will fix it by resetting the display driver, but there are times when it doesn't sync up properly after a few resets, so I get mad and power cycle anyway.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah my older Asus gsync monitor does the same thing, it's annoying as hell but a quick power cycle has always worked.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I just built my first PC a couple months ago and have saved up enough to start looking at purchasing new monitors. I am currently using an old 32" Samsung that my wife had been using to watch TV and Movies. The large screen was really nice for doing music production and playing games but I really miss having dual monitors. I think having 2x 32" monitors would be a bit overkill for my needs so I am thinking I want to pick up a couple 27" monitors. I don't play any games where I need crazy frames but also don't want something cheap.

In reviewing the thread and looking on Amazon, I found the following 27" FHD monitor:
https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Mon...174&sr=8-1&th=1

This is definitely in my price range as I really didn't want to spend more than $200-$300 per monitor. But I wasn't sure if I was going to regret not getting a QHD monitor. I saw this one from the same company but it is $130 more per monitor which is a bit outside of my budget. If it makes a huge difference, I could justify saving some more money up to get the QHD monitors.

Also, probably a dumb question but how can I tell if these monitors are compatible with a monitor arm? Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated!

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 26, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MrSargent posted:

I just built my first PC a couple months ago and have saved up enough to start looking at purchasing new monitors. I am currently using an old 32" Samsung that my wife had been using to watch TV and Movies. The large screen was really nice for doing music production and playing games but I really miss having dual monitors. I think having 2x 32" monitors would be a bit overkill for my needs so I am thinking I want to pick up a couple 27" monitors. I don't play any games where I need crazy frames but also don't want something cheap.

In reviewing the thread and looking on Amazon, I found the following 27" FHD monitor:

This is definitely in my price range as I really didn't want to spend more than $200-$300 per monitor. But I wasn't sure if I was going to regret not getting a QHD monitor. I saw this one from the same company but it is $130 more per monitor which is a bit outside of my budget. If it makes a huge difference, I could justify saving some more money up to get the QHD monitors.

Also, probably a dumb question but how can I tell if these monitors are compatible with a monitor arm? Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated!

in re mounting the key phrase is usually something like ‘vesa compatible’

while i have no doubt you can do your work on 1080p monitors i think it’s worth trying to get 1440p models, personally. i have nothing to say about the specific ones you’ve linked.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Don't buy either of those. Tell us what games you play and what your PC actually is and we'll be better able to help you decide what you should get.

Also instead of getting 2 of the same monitor, you should almost certainly be getting one nicer gaming monitor and one as a secondary/content consumption monitor.

Any monitor with a VESA mount is generally compatible with any VESA mount system (including arms) but there are sometimes issues with the depth of the mount on the monitor and the exact form factor of the mount in question. Typically not a huge deal unless you're trying to buy more quirky/atypical products.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I wouldn't consider a 27" FHD monitor. Go QHD minimum if you're going 27" unless you sit quite unusually far from your monitor. If you're gaming, I'd recommend having at least your primary monitor being 144 Hz. It is noticeable, and the premium for 144 Hz these days isn't much. The LG 27GN800-B is just under your $300 budget and is a 27" QHD 144 Hz IPS. I believe it uses the same panel as the LG 27GL83A-B that used to be frequently recommended in this thread (I'm using one).

As far as monitor arm, you want one that is VESA compatible (typically will have the 100mm x 100mm mounting pattern). I feel like most are these days, but maybe that's just the case with more premium options. Sometimes you have to do some digging into the specs to figure this out, as the feature list may just say something like "wall mount".

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

K8.0 posted:

Don't buy either of those. Tell us what games you play and what your PC actually is and we'll be better able to help you decide what you should get.

Also instead of getting 2 of the same monitor, you should almost certainly be getting one nicer gaming monitor and one as a secondary/content consumption monitor.

Any monitor with a VESA mount is generally compatible with any VESA mount system (including arms) but there are sometimes issues with the depth of the mount on the monitor and the exact form factor of the mount in question. Typically not a huge deal unless you're trying to buy more quirky/atypical products.

Games: World of Warcraft, Everquest (lol), Diablo 2 Resurrected
PC Specs (only included the stuff I thought was relevant but let me know if I missed anything)
  • Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4.6GHz
  • RAM - 2x16GB DDR4 3200 SDRAM
  • Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB

Great suggestion on getting a nicer gaming monitor and then a less expensive one as my secondary monitor. Appreciate the help and suggestions!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

MrSargent posted:

Games: World of Warcraft, Everquest (lol), Diablo 2 Resurrected
PC Specs (only included the stuff I thought was relevant but let me know if I missed anything)
  • Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4.6GHz
  • RAM - 2x16GB DDR4 3200 SDRAM
  • Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB

Great suggestion on getting a nicer gaming monitor and then a less expensive one as my secondary monitor. Appreciate the help and suggestions!

If I was you I'd get one of the monitors recommended by the quote below(I love my M27Q) for gaming, use your current old 32" on the side as secondary until you can afford another, then replace the 32" with a matching 27" duplicate. Might be a little awkward during the interim though, depending on what space you have available.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The OP is very out of date, and most of the information there is pretty irrelevant to today's monitor market. The first thing you want to decide on is resolution. 1440p is still considered the sweet spot for now, with high-refresh 4K monitors typically costing 2x the price of decent 1440p monitors. Once you narrow that down, what you generally want for gaming is an IPS display with fast response times and a good refresh rate. Unfortunately, figuring out the real response times and not the fake marketing response times requires reading reviews, and not all monitors have been reviewed by someone who tests this.

If you're getting a 1440p display, some of the cheaper monitors worth getting are the HP X27q, Gigabyte M27Q, or LG 27GP83B. Of these, the X27q is the cheapest at around $250 currently. The M27Q has a wider color gamut for more vibrant HDR visuals. The 27GP83B has the fastest response times for an image that is very clear in motion. Note that despite the M27Q's wider gamut, none of them actually do HDR well at all, and most of the differences between them are going to be pretty hard to see with the naked eye. If you're buying two of these, I might go with the X27q on account of it being the cheapest while still offering a good picture quality. Though as the cheapest, I'm not sure how well it'll hold up for over time, or how good unit-to-unit consistency will be.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Do you need high refresh rate for those games? Not really, but you'll still notice it (at least you will once you go back to 60 Hz after playing at 144 Hz). Your setup should be able to handle high refresh rate for those games too, but I'm not really sure how crazy WoW gets on raids these days. It's also noticeable for general desktop use. Personally I'd get 144hz, as again it doesn't cost that much more these days.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thank you everyone for the responses, they were very helpful. The X27Q looks to be right in my price range with all of the recommended specs and solid reviews so I think I am going to grab two of them once I save up a bit more. Will be really nice to mount them on monitor arms since my current 32" is super bulky.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

tehinternet posted:

Seconded. It was so good that I bought another when it was on sale. Now I’ve got 98” of monitor and it’s kinda ridiculous but the 12 year old in me thinks it’s rad as gently caress.

E: no black screen issue here with both at 144hz but I make sure to get proper spec cables from reliable companies. Running DP 1.4 cables currently since my 2080Ti doesn’t do HDMI 2.1

That is rad as gently caress. I want pics. Here I thought I was baller with a work machine and a home machine with some new glass but now I have display envy.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samsung's G70A, their 28" 4K 144Hz gaming monitor, is $476 after one of their special discounts and the coupon code "COURAGESAMSUNG" (:rolleyes:): https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/28-odyssey-g7-qhd-led-gaming-monitor-ls28ag700nnxza/

Note that as far as I can tell, no verification is needed for their "samsung offer programs" even though they say it is.

Hardware Unboxed review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTkIeBhVOck

Its biggest weakness is the same as all the other recent 28" 4K 144Hz monitors using the same panel: kinda meh 60hz performance with some minor amount of noticeable overshoot. It's not that bad though, and I think most people get used to it and stop seeing it (if they ever notice in the first place). Also, Combat Pretzel posted in this thread about some woes with the HDMI 2.1 port that may or may not have been fixed with a firmware update (I actually forget the details). Still, it's very cheap for a 4K 144Hz monitor.

I remember a conversation last year about how quickly 4K will become affordable, and I feel like prices are dropping faster than any of us expected with the M32U going on sale first for $600 and now this. This is also coming at a good time with the next generation of GPUs potentially making 4K more accessible on the hardware side of things.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 26, 2022

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What did the final consensus end up being on QD-OLED? Seems like a small downside for productivity, probably not an issue for games? I’d want to wait for GSync Compatible versions anyway, the fan and the lack of DSC are both major negatives even besides the panel.

The Ergotron HX (heavier than the LX that AmazonBasics rebrands) looks nice especially for heavier monitors, but it ends up being 4x the price of the AmazonBasics version. Are 34” OK on the AmazonBasics arm? It looks like they should be based on the weight, but Ergotron recommends the heavier arm for that class and it’s certainly towards the upper limit of the LX arm…

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AW3423DW's downsides:
- Color fringing on anti-aliased text due to the unique subpixel layout.
- A semi-gloss/semi-matte coating that turns blacks to grey when there's a large amount of light in your room (sunlit rooms may be a problem but interior lighting generally isn't).
- HDMI 2.0 with no DSC.
- The automatic brightness limiter is a little bit aggressive in the 1000-nit mode, with some users reporting that it's quite noticeable in some games with lots of bright scenes.
- VRR flickering. This is a problem with many OLED displays, and it remains so here despite the use of G-Sync Ultimate (which some thought would fix it), though it apparently it is less common.

The upsides:
It's an OLED but with actual half-decent brightness. That itself is enough to outweigh all the downsides for a lot of people.

Overall, it seems like a very good monitor for gaming and movie watching. How bad the text issue is seems to differ from person to person, with some people not noticing it at all while others say it's very distracting. If what you want is an impactful HDR experience though, it is new monitor to beat. Many of the downsides seem specific to the AW3423DW and not inherent to QD-OLED, though the fact that VRR flicker continues to be a problem across different OLED techs is annoying, and I imagine that the weird triangular subpixel layout is here to stay, unfortunately. Still, the future looks good for QD-OLED as a display technology. Aside from the standard brightness and power efficiency improvements, what I'd like to see is a monitor with a heatsink for the panel (like what Sony does for their OLED TVs), which would allow them to perhaps get away with a less aggressive ABL.

edit: I decided to check out if there have been any developments on QD-OLED as a tech, and it seems Samsung is attempting to refine the production process by eliminating one of the glass substrate layers, which should hopefully improve yields and lower costs quite a bit.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 26, 2022

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I canceled my order when multiple people talked about it looking like an IPS in well lit rooms. Even if it isn't as huge an issue as it was made out to be, I am fine with my current monitor and can wait for an Oled monitor with better sub pixel layout and without the weird coating.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's backordered to July 1st on Dell's webstore now, so it must be doing pretty well.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

What did the final consensus end up being on QD-OLED? Seems like a small downside for productivity, probably not an issue for games? I’d want to wait for GSync Compatible versions anyway, the fan and the lack of DSC are both major negatives even besides the panel.

The Ergotron HX (heavier than the LX that AmazonBasics rebrands) looks nice especially for heavier monitors, but it ends up being 4x the price of the AmazonBasics version. Are 34” OK on the AmazonBasics arm? It looks like they should be based on the weight, but Ergotron recommends the heavier arm for that class and it’s certainly towards the upper limit of the LX arm…

probably not an issue for games especially if you’re in a heavily light controlled room. in a bright room the contrast tanks.

imo the productivity issues are kind of glaring, i do not like the look of some the text and i’d have concerns about doing photo work say but those qualms may go away seeing it in person.

dig into the reviews and see what users are saying about the mount. while it would be a pain, at least you can return it if suboptimal.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

My desk and entertainment centaur are in the same room. Is there any reason I can't just run a 15-20ft HDMI cable along the baseboard and play my Steam copy of Outer Wilds on the big screen?

I vaguely recall something about TVs and monitors using slightly different color spaces and that making things look bad, but I can't find that info anywhere now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

My desk and entertainment centaur are in the same room. Is there any reason I can't just run a 15-20ft HDMI cable along the baseboard and play my Steam copy of Outer Wilds on the big screen?

I vaguely recall something about TVs and monitors using slightly different color spaces and that making things look bad, but I can't find that info anywhere now

nope, when we lived in a condo i ran a 50ft hdmi cable from the computer room into the area where the tv was for the same reason

it'll probably look fine and if it doesn't, you can make an adjustment either in the tv mode or your gpu driver for this display

if you're going 4k, especially at >60Hz you might have issues if you cheap out on the cable but ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Unsinkabear posted:

entertainment centaur