Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Trig Discipline posted:

i woke up this morning with a very hosed up knee

here is a list of activities that may have led to this hosed up knee: sleeping

i keep loving up my right-side mid-lower back in my sleep

also i like when i have a stress dream and clench a hand and wake up with a hurt hand all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
you know whats hosed up?

I have to give my kids the sex talk.

I have to give my kids the drugs talk.

But i never get to give my kids the rock-n-roll talk.

what the gently caress is goin on with that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mediaphage posted:

you can do both but for joint pain, etc., you rub it in

thanks!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Achmed Jones posted:

i bought some hemp oil. do i rub it where it hurts or eat it?

press the bottle against your eye and tip it back

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

graph posted:

also i like when i have a stress dream and clench a hand and wake up with a hurt hand all day

i once woke up pressing my fist into the mattress as hard as i could

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i've been doing a lot of yardwork over the last couple years that generally involves digging holes and carrying stuff over sloped terrain for a couple hours. an hour or two later i'll be sitting down and resting, and then when i stand up i get a HUGE debilitating cramp for a couple minutes on the inside of either thigh close to the knee. when it happens there's no advance warning, i'll just get up and some muscle in that area just gets incredibly pissed off that i interrupted its break. can happen with either leg and once or twice with both legs :rip:

i was thinking it could be dehydration or similar but i've had it happen despite being careful to chug a couple bottles of water during the yardwork. it's also been going on despite doing the yardwork fairly regularly all this time, so i don't think it's necessarily a strength issue either. maybe i just need to figure out the right stretch to do before yardwork idk

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
electrolytes? try eating a kiwi or a banana before you get started and see if it helps.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

try being 10 years younger

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Stringent posted:

electrolytes? try eating a kiwi or a banana before you get started and see if it helps.

this was also my first thought

i also like sugar free gatorade or mio, etc., if you don’t want to eat something

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

i've been doing a lot of yardwork over the last couple years that generally involves digging holes and carrying stuff over sloped terrain for a couple hours. an hour or two later i'll be sitting down and resting, and then when i stand up i get a HUGE debilitating cramp for a couple minutes on the inside of either thigh close to the knee. when it happens there's no advance warning, i'll just get up and some muscle in that area just gets incredibly pissed off that i interrupted its break. can happen with either leg and once or twice with both legs :rip:

i was thinking it could be dehydration or similar but i've had it happen despite being careful to chug a couple bottles of water during the yardwork. it's also been going on despite doing the yardwork fairly regularly all this time, so i don't think it's necessarily a strength issue either. maybe i just need to figure out the right stretch to do before yardwork idk

it feels dumb as hell but whenever i go out and cut up trees and such i do like 10 minutes of stretches first and i dont get the severe calf cramps i used to and generally my back hurts less.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I had random leg pains like one day I’d sit down on the toilet and my left thigh would shoot up like I had sprained it and the day after I’d get a huge pinch right above the thigh and couldn’t walk straight and the week after my knee would just be in pain and I couldn’t stand for more than 20 minutes.

I went to a physiotherapist, he tested my motion for like 25 minutes and recommended 2-3 stretches plus a switch in posture and everything was fine within 4 weeks and 3 visits.

anyway the point is there are odd stretches (one of them was “lay on a table with your right leg off the edge and let it go down as far as you can”) for idiot poo poo muscles you don’t know exist and they can fix a fuckton of weird rear end garbage pains.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

I used to cramp frequently from strenuous exertion in the heat, no matter how much water I chugged, until I started using these, which I found to be effective and not too expensive.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

mediaphage posted:

you can do both but for joint pain, etc., you rub it in

the good stuff in hemp oil won’t make it past the epidermis if you rub it on the skin. if you want the good fats you have to chug it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

the good stuff in hemp oil won’t make it past the epidermis if you rub it on the skin. if you want the good fats you have to chug it.

it’s both imo

it’s good to eat and you get some topical effects

e: the glas are generally good to eat for systemwide and there’s some evidence for localized reduced inflammation

if you’re going to eat it tho (you probably should) i recommend just buying seeds or hearts (i keep them in the freezer) because the oil can go rancid fairly quickly ime even if you keep it in the fridge

420 eat/rub hemp erryday

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 26, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is the closest place to a heath thread for me to blurt out whatever but poo poo, thanks in part to a million little things but also some posters on this forum sharing their tales and also a couple online quizzes etc, I had a chat to an old friend of mine who has ADD who recommended I read this book “driven to distraction”, and I think it seems really clear to me that I have ADD, I line up with the criteria so closely, and it explains so much about why I am the way I am

it seems very positive because it indicates that often the solutions come directly from diagnosis because the solutions are derived from understanding the condition

this is somewhat good news, because there is such a sense of being a failure to launch because every attempt at progress or growth has been hampered by an absolutely failure to follow thru, (except managing getting thru uni which had structure and deadlines, but still always felt like the result of understanding it easily and definitely not hard work).

obviously I need to get this diagnosed properly and find some proper support, but if this is true, starting to put into place solutions might mean something like feeling like I can gain some control over putting some progress into my life, and maybe less self-loathing (one can hope right 😅)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

good luck, echi. someone close to me got diagnosed with adhd as an adult, and it had really helped them understand themselves and get medication that works.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Trig Discipline posted:

i woke up this morning with a very hosed up knee

here is a list of activities that may have led to this hosed up knee: sleeping

recently had a week long sore neck/shoulder area because i was sleeping wrong. same with my left instep (how?) a month ago.

sleeping wrong is my leading cause of injury in 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I had a physical yesterday and all my numbers look great, blood pressure is 118/78. Feeling good physically and can't wait to go bicycling again this weekend.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my neck/shoulder were all jacked up yesterday. the last time this happened it got worse and worse over a couple weeks, then i finally took some ibuprofen or acetaminophen or w/e and that basically fixed it

this time i took the pills last night and it's almost completely better now

better living through chemistry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

axolotl farmer posted:

good luck, echi. someone close to me got diagnosed with adhd as an adult, and it had really helped them understand themselves and get medication that works.

thanks mate

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
have doctors decided whether or not you should stretch before or after warming up and if stretching is even a good thing because i can't ever get a definitive answer

there was a doc that said old people fall and get injured so much because they haven't practiced balancing in 20 years and all it takes is one spot of dizziness and drat, i felt that. healthy retirees are active retirees

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 27, 2022

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
for stretching when working out, i do a relaxed quarter mile to get blood moving and stretch after, then do whatever else i was gonna do like a long run or weights. works4me.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Bhodi posted:

have doctors decided whether or not you should stretch before or after warming up and if stretching is even a good thing because i can't ever get a definitive answer

warmup, yes. stretching, sure if it feels good, but clinically it doesn't really help

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/mobility-explained/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

according to the perfunctory searching i’ve done on it regular stretching can have an impact, but an acute session doesn’t really do anything. it doesn’t seem to necessarily reduce specific injury but there are some kind of stretching that can relieve pressure.

like i’m prone to knee pain if i don’t regularly work my lower body

anyway generally speaking it’s not quite he same thing but there’s lots of lovely free yoga available these days

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anything is free if you don’t pay for it

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have definitely found that doing the calf stretches help plantar fasciitis. kinda like the the soleus muscle stretch, the stretch where you push up against a wall and stretch your calves by picking up one foot at a time, but bend the knee attached to the foot that’s flat on the ground to move the stretch down from your calve to your ankle and the bottom of your foot. standing on a step or a curb with your heels off helps too.

not so much for improving flexibility, but to counteract your muscles tightening up at night or while sitting.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

not so much for improving flexibility, but to counteract your muscles tightening up at night or while sitting.

"tightness" like this isn't really a clinical thing, either

http://www.greglehman.ca/blog/2021/11/12/why-you-dont-need-to-worry-about-muscle-tightness-part-1

so much of pain is perception-based and stretching does often help with that, just not for the reasons we think (if we even know the reasons at all). i think the important takeaway is to keep stretching if you think it legitimately helps but don't worry too much about not doing it consistently because it's not going to actively make things worse if you stop

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

GenJoe posted:

"tightness" like this isn't really a clinical thing, either

http://www.greglehman.ca/blog/2021/11/12/why-you-dont-need-to-worry-about-muscle-tightness-part-1

so much of pain is perception-based and stretching does often help with that, just not for the reasons we think (if we even know the reasons at all). i think the important takeaway is to keep stretching if you think it legitimately helps but don't worry too much about not doing it consistently because it's not going to actively make things worse if you stop

you must have never had plantar fasciitis, it’s inflammatory and way worse in the morning. wake up and you have to limp around tiptoe on the busted foot until you stretch the ankle back out and can stand on your ankle, and it takes months to heal.

i do the same amount of running now, but I do the stretches my doctor recommended and it hasn’t come back.

Apr 7, 2003

Thinking about riding my bike

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
think again

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Thinking about riding my bike
ride your bike to the jerk store they need to restock

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
ran 3 miles today, neck still hurts from sleep-induced injury.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

you must have never had plantar fasciitis, it’s inflammatory and way worse in the morning. wake up and you have to limp around tiptoe on the busted foot until you stretch the ankle back out and can stand on your ankle, and it takes months to heal.

i do the same amount of running now, but I do the stretches my doctor recommended and it hasn’t come back.

i have and its painful! but again, there is no clinical evidence that stretching is risk preventative for plantar fasciitis. it's great that stretching helped relieve the pain in your instance, but at the physiological level it's not influencing the healing process, as far as we know

Apr 7, 2003

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

ride your bike to the jerk store they need to restock

I don't have a tandem and I can't fit you in a backpack

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't have a tandem and I can't fit you in a backpack
I've already been claimed by the Bitch Barn so it's a no-go anyway

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I've already been claimed by the Bitch Barn so it's a no-go anyway
You can give him a ride to the jerk store in your pocket on the way

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

mystes posted:

You can give him a ride to the jerk store in your pocket on the way
I am the one person in yospos Tori is taller than

Also what pockets? :argh:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

GenJoe posted:

i have and its painful! but again, there is no clinical evidence that stretching is risk preventative for plantar fasciitis. it's great that stretching helped relieve the pain in your instance, but at the physiological level it's not influencing the healing process, as far as we know

If you look at the literature and feel like only moving each joint through 1 arcsecond of rotation is an adequate workout for you to stay healthy, ok. I am going to keep working out and doing the stretches that my actual doctor recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I ride many hundreds of miles every month during the warm season here and have never had any stress injuries or anything like plantar fasciitis. Love my very well-functioning body.