Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I really like that you never leave V's perspective, because as you say it makes the game more immersive. It does mean that Fashion Souls is less important, which is a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

The boss fights in DOOM: Eternal are hot garbage. Just a dogshit pile of lovely mechanics that don't flow with the way the rest of the combat in the game works.

Speaking of bossfights: After having decent fun with Elden Ring I decided to give Nioh 2 another go, and it's got one of the absolutely most garbage-rear end bossfights I've seen in a while.

Generally, I really like the combat system of Nioh 2, much better than the "main" soulslikes. Enemies can kill you very quickly, but in turn you can usually also kill them very quickly right back. They also have a visible stamina bar just like you do, and draining it has the same effect as it does for you. Overall it feels very fair in that everybody's fighting by the same rules with similar levels of HP, damage, and stamina, and as a result fights are usually a fairly quick and dynamic affair.

Except then comes the boss of the third mission and all that goes right out the window. It's quite mobile, and while its attacks are fairly telegraphed, they are usually also very wide-ranging to the point where they'll hit you pretty much anywhere in the arena. There's also a quick short-range grapple that will usually instantly kill you. So you're already forced to play very defensively, since no matter where you are, any moment there could come an attack you need to be ready to dodge or block. To make matters worse, the boss has an absolutely stupid amount of HP. So you're stuck having to stay very defensive all the way through and only getting in a handful of attacks on certain punishable moves that probably don't even add up to a single percent of health. It took me near enough to ten minutes just to grind it to death poke by poke. It's slow, boring, tedious, and never once fun or interesting. And again, it's the third mission of the game, the second "real" boss.

Also, to add insult to injury, there's a way to deal extra damage but the fight actively punishes you for doing it. Basically, the gimmick of the fight is that the boss got snakes growing out of it that you can cut off, and if you don't do that in time they'll spawn as adds when the boss goes into an enraged mode (which is generally the time you're most likely to die even without adds). Now, if you time your counters and specials like the game taught you up to this point, you can stun the boss and set it up for a big critical hit that deals like 10+ times the damage of your regular attacks, which shortens the fight a whole lot. However, if you do that, the boss will afterwards regrow any snakes you may have cut off and immediately enrage. So your reward for engaging with the mechanics as intended is to make the fight perhaps a little shorter but also harder on yourself. :suicide:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Ah, Yatsu-no-kami. What a bastard, and a tough wall to scale. I don't remember how many attempts it took me to kill the drat snake.

I have little recollection about the early game now, but I remeber three things:
- destroying all of the snake statues in the level makes the poison puddles disappear (although it seems you'd already done that)
- killing the snake arms isn't all that important in the long run - yeah, they go off in the dark realm, but they are hard to target and don't really do much on their own; the boss is so mobile you won't be staying in one place anyway
- Ippon-Datara Soul Core is exceedingly useful in this and other fights with one enemy, as it provides 100% stagger, is quick and gets an additional effect while used in the Dark Realm: making a small igniting surface (Edit: but if you didn't find it earlier I don't think it would be worth it to leave the level to search for it)

Also, keep in mind that Dark Realm make your Soul Core energy grow faster, it's not only beneficial to enemies.

There was also a trick to be able to make a Finishing Blow twice, but I don't remember exactly how... It's a frustrating fight, but I do believe it's worth it.

Currently Pontiff fight drags Dark Souls III down, he hits like a train, my summoned NPC hardly draws any aggro and even if it does, the boss quickly turns to me because I use ranged attacks that are surprisingly effective - using a guide I've found Dorthy's (spelling?) Gnawing Miracle, which provides bleeding effect for massive damage. I've also found some guides for an easy kill, which are lying! :D I can't parry him to save my life and being near him just provides a quicker death;) Well, since losing souls isn't an issue anymore, I guess I'll just try again and again.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Apr 26, 2022

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I found parrying effective on Pontiff. I couldn't get the timing down for parrying his front attacks but if you get behind him he does a backwards swipe which I was able to parry quite reliably (it's been a while but I think it was something like hit the button as soon as he starts).

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Any Mystery Chuzzle puzzle in Chuzzle2. I want to know the exact gameplay decision behind making a mechanic such that if a mystery chuzzle is moved around jerkily - as in, you drag a row and then release it so the chuzzles all snap back, as opposed to ~gently~ easing them back to their original position - the game adds to the lock bar. It is my #1 beef with an otherwise integral part of my morning routine and fun overall game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Pontiff was originally the final boss of DS3 so it makes sense that he's tough. It is frustrating when the only advice anyone will give is "lol parry"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Szurumbur posted:

Ah, Yatsu-no-kami. What a bastard, and a tough wall to scale. I don't remember how many attempts it took me to kill the drat snake.

I have little recollection about the early game now, but I remeber three things:
- destroying all of the snake statues in the level makes the poison puddles disappear (although it seems you'd already done that)
- killing the snake arms isn't all that important in the long run - yeah, they go off in the dark realm, but they are hard to target and don't really do much on their own; the boss is so mobile you won't be staying in one place anyway
- Ippon-Datara Soul Core is exceedingly useful in this and other fights with one enemy, as it provides 100% stagger, is quick and gets an additional effect while used in the Dark Realm: making a small igniting surface (Edit: but if you didn't find it earlier I don't think it would be worth it to leave the level to search for it)

Also, keep in mind that Dark Realm make your Soul Core energy grow faster, it's not only beneficial to enemies.

There was also a trick to be able to make a Finishing Blow twice, but I don't remember exactly how... It's a frustrating fight, but I do believe it's worth it.

Currently Pontiff fight drags Dark Souls III down, he hits like a train, my summoned NPC hardly draws any aggro and even if it does, the boss quickly turns to me because I use ranged attacks that are surprisingly effective - using a guide I've found Dorthy's (spelling?) Gnawing Miracle, which provides bleeding effect for massive damage. I've also found some guides for an easy kill, which are lying! :D I can't parry him to save my life and being near him just provides a quicker death;) Well, since losing souls isn't an issue anymore, I guess I'll just try again and again.

Also his Burst Counters are hosed. When he does the slam-and-then-charge-across-the-arena-at-you you can only counter the slam, not the two charges he does. Because Nioh considers such trivialities as "can I read this attack" beneath it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Szurumbur posted:

Yeah he's hard as gently caress. My first two playthroughs I ended up summoning NPCs since I needed to get their gestures and managed to kill him on the first try. They were able to draw aggro and I was able to just burst him down quickly enough to end the fight (I was using two different melee builds those times - Black Knight Greatsword & Warden Twinblades). Are you running a faith build? I went faith on my third run and did him solo then and *that* was loving hard since if he ever hit me he'd kill me with his follow-up, so I had to play pretty much perfectly. I think sticking with Dorhy's Gnawing should be quite viable with an NPC assist. If Sulyvahn starts focusing on you, run away until he shifts his sights again. Take it slow and don't get greedy. Phase 2 can be hard as gently caress since he can make clones, but at that point you might be able to just burst him down with magic. I think the clone is immune to bleed anyway, but don't quote me on that

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Gort posted:

Cyberpunk has a fair few things that make sense for this thread. Like how the game talks up how important it is to be stylish, and then gives so few clothing options that actually look any good, and every random NPC is dressed completely randomly.

Or how you can't turn off your hat.

Or say "gently caress the police, I'm not working for them" in a cyberpunk game.

That last complaint is funny, because Cop is literally one of the player roles in the tabletop game. It might not feel cyberpunk, but it is absolutely Cyberpunk 20XX, the Mike Pondsmith setting. NCPD is basically just an overworked security corp, which is why they're hiring freelance mercs to do their job for them. You can also just not do those things. None of the crimes-in-progress are necessary (some of them are inconvenient when you're trying to do other things), and I'm pretty sure even meeting River is optional. On the other hand, I totally understand the "it's an icon on the map that I can make disappear" mentality because that's how I am, too.

I absolutely 100% agree with you about the hats and ugly clothes. On my current street kid run, I'm just not wearing hats because they're all dumb and hide my cool hair.

My complaint with Cyberpunk 2077 is that even after the 1.5 patch, the UI is still buggy and shows a 12-round pistol as my equipped weapon when my weapon (which isn't that) is holstered. I have not used or equipped that gun since I got it for free from the gun store, and then replaced it with the first revolver I found. I even unequipped all of my weapons and it still showed the pistol equipped. Also the people spawning from nowhere is already old. I thought 1.5 was supposed to fix a lot of these little bugs and glitches.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Apr 26, 2022

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
We still don't have a Nintendo Switch port for Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of bossfights: After having decent fun with Elden Ring I decided to give Nioh 2 another go, and it's got one of the absolutely most garbage-rear end bossfights I've seen in a while.

Generally, I really like the combat system of Nioh 2, much better than the "main" soulslikes. Enemies can kill you very quickly, but in turn you can usually also kill them very quickly right back. They also have a visible stamina bar just like you do, and draining it has the same effect as it does for you. Overall it feels very fair in that everybody's fighting by the same rules with similar levels of HP, damage, and stamina, and as a result fights are usually a fairly quick and dynamic affair.

Except then comes the boss of the third mission and all that goes right out the window. It's quite mobile, and while its attacks are fairly telegraphed, they are usually also very wide-ranging to the point where they'll hit you pretty much anywhere in the arena. There's also a quick short-range grapple that will usually instantly kill you. So you're already forced to play very defensively, since no matter where you are, any moment there could come an attack you need to be ready to dodge or block. To make matters worse, the boss has an absolutely stupid amount of HP. So you're stuck having to stay very defensive all the way through and only getting in a handful of attacks on certain punishable moves that probably don't even add up to a single percent of health. It took me near enough to ten minutes just to grind it to death poke by poke. It's slow, boring, tedious, and never once fun or interesting. And again, it's the third mission of the game, the second "real" boss.

Also, to add insult to injury, there's a way to deal extra damage but the fight actively punishes you for doing it. Basically, the gimmick of the fight is that the boss got snakes growing out of it that you can cut off, and if you don't do that in time they'll spawn as adds when the boss goes into an enraged mode (which is generally the time you're most likely to die even without adds). Now, if you time your counters and specials like the game taught you up to this point, you can stun the boss and set it up for a big critical hit that deals like 10+ times the damage of your regular attacks, which shortens the fight a whole lot. However, if you do that, the boss will afterwards regrow any snakes you may have cut off and immediately enrage. So your reward for engaging with the mechanics as intended is to make the fight perhaps a little shorter but also harder on yourself. :suicide:

Yeah, this boss is terrible. If you're still stuck on him, the way I found to beat him was kill one snake, and leave the second at low health. That way when he yokai shifts, you only have one snake arm to deal with and its already half dead. He then regrows them both, so just rinse and repeat for 15 minutes until you chip down his millions of hp.

Playing Elden Ring really made me like the enemies in Nioh not only have stamina, but you can see it and it runs out. So many bosses and enemies in Elden Ring seem to have infinite, and can instantly punish you for trying to get a hit in between animations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Sekiro has got a great stamina/parry system and it feels so rewarding killing every single enemy and boss in it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

We still don't have a Nintendo Switch port for Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

Yeah there’s at least a few, uh, personnel related issues with the dev team that are probably keeping it memory holed. I wouldn’t expect that IP to ever come back, great as the game is.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Dewgy posted:

Yeah there’s at least a few, uh, personnel related issues with the dev team that are probably keeping it memory holed. I wouldn’t expect that IP to ever come back, great as the game is.

What issued are these? I've been wondering why that game never got more than it did.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

verbal enema posted:

What issued are these? I've been wondering why that game never got more than it did.

One of the Silicon Knights employees turned out to be a nonce with a hard drive to match

I never thought that affected any potential sequel though. The guy had a relatively minor role and was cut without issue

The real reason you'll never get an Eternal Darkness sequel is that Nintendo owns the IP while Silicon Knights is a bankrupt shell at this point. When they tried to kickstart a spiritual sequel they hosed it up and had to refund the money. Nintendo isn't ever going to resurrect a game that didn't do well in the first place and was only popular in the west, and the other guys are complete fuckups

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Apr 26, 2022

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
e: ^^^ McCulloch’s “minor role” was writing the game. Sure you can replace him, but him and Dyack were the main creative forces behind the game.

verbal enema posted:

Denis Dyack hosed around with Epic games hard enough that his flagship development hell project Too Human became legally unsellable.

Ken McCulloch is a pedophile.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dewgy posted:

Denis Dyack hosed around with Epic games hard enough that his flagship development hell project Too Human became legally unsellable.

Its on the xbox store for me

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/too-human/BQ216SGGM4M8

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Yup! It’s permanently free because they can’t sell it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh I knew about Denis Dyack being a hack but I didn't know about the pedophile...

That's unfortunate

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dewgy posted:

Yup! It’s permanently free because they can’t sell it.

That makes sense, I thought it was just completely memory-holed and no one could ever play it again. Didn't think Microsoft would still be offering it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zil posted:

That makes sense, I thought it was just completely memory-holed and no one could ever play it again. Didn't think Microsoft would still be offering it.

I think it was something they did when making it available for Xbox One back compatibility as kind of a promo/bonus thing.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
∆V: Rings of Saturn is an enjoyable, hard sci-fi space mining game, but the in-game manufacturer of the most expensive ships and equipment is named Elon Interstellar.

Also, using the delta symbol in the title makes googling information about it a little harder.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Pontiff down - I didn't do much differently, just stayed further back and he was content hitting the summons while being gnawed on by spectral bugs. Oh well, still won.

I decided to try for some kind of a cleric play through, with miracles backed by a decent armour, but since I've three attack miracles, two of which are either weak (lightning spear) or cumbersome (lightning stake - I'm glad I had found some spear which raises attack with Faith, this miracle is not worth the faith investment) before the Gnawing I was mostly hitting things - but I'm glad I'm at last able to supplement my holy spear with a miracle. I'd farmed a Pale tongue to be able to respec in NG+, I'll try for some kind of a magic knight - pontiff's soul gave me a nice sword which scales with Intelligence, that's nice.

I'm on a mobile, so I can't quote easily, sorry:)

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Szurumbur posted:

Pontiff down - I didn't do much differently, just stayed further back and he was content hitting the summons while being gnawed on by spectral bugs. Oh well, still won.

I decided to try for some kind of a cleric play through, with miracles backed by a decent armour, but since I've three attack miracles, two of which are either weak (lightning spear) or cumbersome (lightning stake - I'm glad I had found some spear which raises attack with Faith, this miracle is not worth the faith investment) before the Gnawing I was mostly hitting things - but I'm glad I'm at last able to supplement my holy spear with a miracle. I'd farmed a Pale tongue to be able to respec in NG+, I'll try for some kind of a magic knight - pontiff's soul gave me a nice sword which scales with Intelligence, that's nice.

I'm on a mobile, so I can't quote easily, sorry:)

I ran a pure faith build in my NG++ run and it was lots of fun. The trouble with magic builds in DS games is that they're usually way better on NG+ and beyond since their most fun and useful options are only unlocked near the end of the game or even after. Like the lightning spear spells, where the next upgrade requires giving a ton of sunlight medals to the sunbro covenant (and they're a pain to farm), and the one after that you get from transmuting the final boss's soul. If you're grooving with it, though, then keep going. Dorhy's Gnawing in particular is a fantastic spell that trivializes a lot of bosses. Namelss King is one of the hardest bosses in the game but becomes a pushover if you're using that spell

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dewgy posted:

They renewed the trademark a couple years back. Pretty sure nothing is ever going to come from it though and those rumors are filed with Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch Edition

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

I ran a pure faith build in my NG++ run and it was lots of fun. The trouble with magic builds in DS games is that they're usually way better on NG+ and beyond since their most fun and useful options are only unlocked near the end of the game or even after. Like the lightning spear spells, where the next upgrade requires giving a ton of sunlight medals to the sunbro covenant (and they're a pain to farm), and the one after that you get from transmuting the final boss's soul. If you're grooving with it, though, then keep going. Dorhy's Gnawing in particular is a fantastic spell that trivializes a lot of bosses. Namelss King is one of the hardest bosses in the game but becomes a pushover if you're using that spell

I very much agree, playing most of the game with such exciting miracles like Heal, Med Heal, Great Heal, Esuna and a regen spell which is not useful for anything serious wasn't terribly inviting. Lightning Stake is cumbersome and not powerful enough for the Faith points and the trouble it took to find it (although I read that the ballista damages the worm, so at least that was easy), but at least it's interesting.

Gating the most powerful miracles behind Covenants and progression makes sense, and miracles are meant to be defensive/restorative in nature, but still it makes a fair amount of the game not different from a typical melee character run. But that's slowly changing with progress, so that's fine.

Edit: also, learning limitations of the game help to not exactly avoid, but somewhat mitigate frustration. I still don't like the grab attacks without obvious cues that they are grabs and not attacks I can dodge through or block, or the input buffering, but it's the fact of the game; they will be there no matter how much I dislike them.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Apr 27, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the latest update to GOG Galaxy makes a standard database loading check that can be failed for any number of reasons cause the entire thing to hang indefinitely and not load, and the current fix involves manually updating poo poo in a hidden internal database file with some homespun SQL.

how do people that get paid to do this stuff gently caress it up so badly?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The other thread talking about Max Payne got me thinking about my recent attempt to play Max Payne 2.

On of my biggest issues is the pc port is really really bad, probably one of the worst ports I’ve ever seen. I have to turn my mouse sensitivity down in both the game settings and through my mouse’s DPI to have an even halfway reasonable rotation speed.

The game has a ton of weapons, and I find all of them pretty boring to use. I’ll admit I came in expecting more rag doll shenanigans but most guns feel like they hit for peanuts then someone slumps over.

The writing is just ok, but I give this a pass because I’ve never really found myself interested in any games writing.

For every interesting level like Coney Island I feel like there are two levels where you walk through copy and pasted apartment buildings. Assaulting the cleaners base had my head spinning.

Enemies can be really good at blasting you as soon as they spawn. I’ve lost count of how many times someone with a shotgun would walk through a door and instantly shoot me for 3/4ths of my hp. I get that it’s thematically appropriate to have Max chugging pain killers at all times but I felt like I was just taking free damage.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
max payne 3’s much-vaunted airport shootout is a garbage setpiece. running around this giant empty space while twenty guys take potshots at you from the next floor up

awful game and one of the most pointless sequels in the whole medium

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Nah just kidding, you kids enjoy your elder ring scroll souls.

I'm playing Prey at the minute and it slaps, but Morgan Yu (male) has such a gruff arsehole voice it's hard to take seriously.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cyberpunk 2077: In one of their recent patches, the devs added a cut implant, the optical camo, which lets you turn invisible for a set amount of time. This by itself is pretty good, because it allows you to more efficiently ghost a level and make you feel like a badass roboninja.

HOWEVER

It's an item you activate in your GUI (instead of having a grenade in the same slot, let's say), so you can't flick it on and off like you can in Deus Ex to go from cover to cover, and this breaks my normal routine a lot. It's petty, I know, but I don't care for it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bogmonster posted:

Nah just kidding, you kids enjoy your elder ring scroll souls.

I'm playing Prey at the minute and it slaps, but Morgan Yu (male) has such a gruff arsehole voice it's hard to take seriously.

Terrible game design! Logging the gently caress off? Basically impossible to do

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Ok, you loving game, I made it to the final boss in Dark Souls remastered. Should I do NG+, DS2 or DS3 next?

From what I've read, DS3 seems the way to go but NG+ is tempting. Only thing dragging THAT decision down is that I already had to run through every loving area in DS1 fifty god damned times already because I was getting my rear end kicked, as is tradition. But I missed a lot of things and kinda wanna try it again now based on what I learned.

My main thing now is muscle memory and a semi understanding now of how poo poo kind of works. I heard DS3 caters to this more than DS2 but I can pick up either for $20 and kind of want some new areas to repeatedly die in.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DS2 is the best of the series

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BiggerBoat posted:

Ok, you loving game, I made it to the final boss in Dark Souls remastered. Should I do NG+, DS2 or DS3 next?

From what I've read, DS3 seems the way to go but NG+ is tempting. Only thing dragging THAT decision down is that I already had to run through every loving area in DS1 fifty god damned times already because I was getting my rear end kicked, as is tradition. But I missed a lot of things and kinda wanna try it again now based on what I learned.

My main thing now is muscle memory and a semi understanding now of how poo poo kind of works. I heard DS3 caters to this more than DS2 but I can pick up either for $20 and kind of want some new areas to repeatedly die in.

I like starting new characters for each playthrough as by NG+ you're just maxing out the build.

I'd recommend going DS1, DS3 as that feels like a sequel, while DS2 feels like a (huge, bloated) side story not directly related to the two. DS2 is mainly liked for PvP but that's a silly reason to like a souls game and the combat engine is... weird. Still a good game but easily skippable.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not sure I agree with this. DS2 changes some stuff but it's still Dark Souls. Some of the changes are pretty interesting. DS3 adds some of it's own stuff, drops a lot of the stuff from 2, and turns everything up several notches.

What is the build you're comfortable with?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

BiggerBoat posted:

I am in the minority that truly enjoyed DS2 but make sure you play the scholar of the first sin edition with all the DLC.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vic posted:

I like starting new characters for each playthrough as by NG+ you're just maxing out the build.

I'd recommend going DS1, DS3 as that feels like a sequel, while DS2 feels like a (huge, bloated) side story not directly related to the two. DS2 is mainly liked for PvP but that's a silly reason to like a souls game and the combat engine is... weird. Still a good game but easily skippable.

DS3 seems like more of a sequel to DS1 than DS2 does. Not in a bad way, but you could play 3 right after 1 and not miss much storywise.

DS2 is as different from 1 as 1 is from Demon Souls. You could change a few names and call Monster Souls.
When you get around to 2 , try powerstancing. You can equip 2 of the same type of weapon ( long sword, axe, curved sword, etc) and it gives you a whole new moveset. Also enemies stop respawning after killing them a certain amount of times, making boss runs and exploring easier. You can use an item called a bonfire ascetic to make the enemies return and change an area to ng +1 .

Have fun, 2 is my favorite of the Fromsoft games.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Feel free to do NG+. The enemies are harder but the first half doesn't scale up that high so you'll be able to stomp through probably 80% of it with little trouble because your build should be pretty much complete and you're already used to all the boss patterns. The last few bosses will be slightly tougher but if you've beaten them once you can definitely do it again. DS1 doesn't let you respec, but 2&3 do, and what I liked to do for NG+ in those was trying a different build (like powerstanced Caestus in 2, or a bleed build in 3, or some sort of magic build) to keep things fresh while I went for the platinum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Got on to replaying Max Payne 3 after earlier discussion. Well, trying to.

Now I'm stuck in "Install Rockstar Game Launcher"/"Sign in to Rockstar Social Club"/"Forgot password"/"That email is already linked to a different steam account"/"Wait ten minutes for the email to verify your new Rockstar account" hell.

God I hate enforced online accounts, just let me click "I have no interest in ever doing anything multiplayer-related in this game" and let me continue :negative: