Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

lightpole posted:

They've been trying to cancel them but there is debate about the president having the ability to do so. In the meantime they have been using the extensions and expanding forgiveness a bunch. My preference is to expand schooling to 16 years with 13-16 in college or tech school. Just canceling them is good but what about the people that come after?

Pull a Republican. Just loving do it and dare them to take it to the courts. Show some god drat spine and start fixing things, maybe people will see a purpose to voting for them. Also make the other guys fight to reinstate student loan debts. Force them to put their names out there as the "Yes we will fight to make your life shittier because gently caress you" types to someone that isn't a targeted minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

bird food bathtub posted:

Pull a Republican. Just loving do it and dare them to take it to the courts. Show some god drat spine and start fixing things, maybe people will see a purpose to voting for them. Also make the other guys fight to reinstate student loan debts. Force them to put their names out there as the "Yes we will fight to make your life shittier because gently caress you" types to someone that isn't a targeted minority.

Very much agree. One side already hosed decorum, why does the other want to stay with a proven failed ideology? They're playing to win, you need to be too. The gloves already came off 6 years ago, dems are trying to box nicely in a street brawl

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Every day the Republicans are treated as if they were they Loyal Opposition is another day the Republic is closer to dying.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Even if all they did was zero-out or subsidize the interest moving forward, that would be huge. Owing 50k is one thing, but owing it at 5% - 10% interest is vile.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pull a Republican. Just loving do it and dare them to take it to the courts. Show some god drat spine and start fixing things, maybe people will see a purpose to voting for them.

But...if they do that and it WORKS, then those pesky voters that never contribute in meaningful amounts to campaigns or PACs (oh god the DNC hates their non-paying voter base SO MUCH) are gonna want them to do it again! For free! :ohdear:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But...if they do that and it WORKS, then those pesky voters that never contribute in meaningful amounts to campaigns or PACs (oh god the DNC hates their non-paying voter base SO MUCH) are gonna want them to do it again! For free! :ohdear:

If they gave us housing and healthcare and debt forgiveness they could tax me at 70% and skim 10% off the top and I wouldn’t give a gently caress.

It would be very easy for me to be ok with being robbed blind.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

boop the snoot posted:

If they gave us housing and healthcare and debt forgiveness they could tax me at 70% and skim 10% off the top and I wouldn’t give a gently caress.

It would be very easy for me to be ok with being robbed blind.

can i have your money

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat if they forgive student loan debt this is going to be so unfair to everyone who paid theirs off such as boomers who got masters degrees when they cost $473 and you could still smoke around babies indoors in public

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

maffew buildings posted:

drat if they forgive student loan debt this is going to be so unfair to everyone who paid theirs off such as boomers who got masters degrees when they cost $473 and you could still smoke around babies indoors in public

Already heard this multiple times. Also thats the anti intellectualism party so its not like they see fewer college grads and poorer education overall as a bad thing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i've heard it from the democrat voting older millenials making six figures i know since they already paid theirs off, also very cool. just the coolest brain havers in this country.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
But how are you gonna pay for it? :barf: What I don't understand about the "America first" types is how they actually reject putting Americans first like by spending American tax dollars on...Americans. :shrug:

I like the idea of adding grades 13-16 but colleges really need to be reigned in. Don't write them a blank check, lord knows it's gonna go straight to the sports departments. I would love to see something done about for profit colleges as well. Any credible certification granting courses can be absorbed by community colleges.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

You can still smoke around babies indoors. It's not like they can stop you

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wrong Theory posted:

I like the idea of adding grades 13-16 but colleges really need to be reigned in. Don't write them a blank check, lord knows it's gonna go straight to the sports departments. I would love to see something done about for profit colleges as well. Any credible certification granting courses can be absorbed by community colleges.

I like the idea of creating a federal program for vocational apprenticeship by federally accrediting trade schools (and passing laws to prevent We-B-A-Skools from conning the government out of money).

To make up the educational deficits of COVID, expand the community college system so that high school students can make up the slack by going to "pre-college." In some states you can go from CC to a four-year state school (contingent on your GPA) and transfer in as a Junior.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 27, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Honestly, cancelling student loans seems like a fart in the wind unless public universities can be free for students going forward. A debt jubilee every so often is not a reasonable or predictable way to run things.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's the barest loving minimum the Biden admin could do but the gooey center of politics is worried about optics as they're about to get boat raced in the midterms

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Honestly, cancelling student loans seems like a fart in the wind unless public universities can be free for students going forward. A debt jubilee every so often is not a reasonable or predictable way to run things.

The patricians won't like it if the plebs don't line up every morning for their patronage.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Irish Joe still owes me $600

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

:emptyquote:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This has always been my fear. Actually addressing the root of the problem seems to go completely unmentioned for sake of trumpeting the sexier debt cancellation, understandably, but, if debt cancellation goes forward on its own, I don't see the more foundational fix having any political legs until the next batch of debt-burdened students grows to sufficient size to be politically worth rescuing. College prices will continue to go wild because we'll keep shoveling money into a system that knows it can keep asking more.

I'm not making an argument against cancellation, just one for coupling it to a proper fix. And if no fix is possible, sure, let's get something rather than nothing.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Javelins ain't free

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

TCD posted:

Javelins ain't free
edit: in fact, how can I ensure that more Javelins get sent out?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Cugel the Clever posted:

This has always been my fear. Actually addressing the root of the problem seems to go completely unmentioned for sake of trumpeting the sexier debt cancellation, understandably, but, if debt cancellation goes forward on its own, I don't see the more foundational fix having any political legs until the next batch of debt-burdened students grows to sufficient size to be politically worth rescuing. College prices will continue to go wild because we'll keep shoveling money into a system that knows it can keep asking more.

I'm not making an argument against cancellation, just one for coupling it to a proper fix. And if no fix is possible, sure, let's get something rather than nothing.

This is where I'm at. So cancel debt but figure out a way to ensure at least two more years of schooling with preferably 4.

Nick Soapdish posted:

If you qualified for every relief check you also got a note on the final one saying the initial $600 + the $1400 was the $2000.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Cugel the Clever posted:

nevermind that the first take is wrong (there are plenty of people who are currently, right now, drowning under student loans), this is a "perfect is the enemy of the good" thing. don't try and tie some all-encompassing "fix everything" package together, you'll never win. ram through whatever poo poo you can, as fast as you can, and use that momentum to solve more problems

all of this arguing is worthless because here's what the democrats have currently done: nothing. do something. anything

e: not that it matters. none of us are capable of getting the democrats to do anything when their continued finances rely on them not doing anything

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

lightpole posted:

This is where I'm at. So cancel debt but figure out a way to ensure at least two more years of schooling with preferably 4.

If you qualified for every relief check you also got a note on the final one saying the initial $600 + the $1400 was the $2000.

Well if you look at this note i spray painted on the hoosic street bridge i'm short 5.3 million dollars from my previous tax returns if we're paying by that logic

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

lightpole posted:

We can’t even cancel the student debt we have and you want to throw more hurdles in the way?

“We already paid so don’t cancel it” is now “they will have to pay so don’t cancel it”

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re saying but it’s still an lol-worthy pendulum swing.

Two sides of the same stupid coin.

Don’t couple it with poo poo. Just get it done ffs.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The bottle doesn't loving move.

https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1519294614703951872?t=uWL_cklam3KuyhhuNIJY1A&s=19

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

boop the snoot posted:

We can’t even cancel the student debt we have and you want to throw more hurdles in the way?

“We already paid so don’t cancel it” is now “they will have to pay so don’t cancel it”

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re saying but it’s still an lol-worthy pendulum swing.

They don't actually want to cancel student debt or address any of the other stuff they're pearl clutching over

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

lightpole posted:

https://youtu.be/KbDJJ782MfY?t=324

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

I mean you could actually discuss it but instead we get to

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They don't actually want to cancel student debt or address any of the other stuff they're pearl clutching over

So instead of considering it critically we just decide to put words in someone's mouth. This is a temporary bandaid that lasts until the next term and then what? Cancel the debt and then come up with free schooling.

This doesn't even address the "do anything at all because they haven't done anything" people that want to ignore everything because it didn't happen today. The deferments alone are worth ~$5500 on average so far.

Edit:

NM its pointless we are just going to argue about $600 forever cause Dems have lovely messaging.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You call it a band aid. I call it a tourniquet.

You don’t forego the tourniquet because you’re not prepped for surgery.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

lightpole posted:

NM its pointless we are just going to argue about $600 forever cause Dems have lovely messaging.

While their messaging is lovely compared to the right wing hatred propaganda machine, they aren't making it any easier on themselves when the foundation of their messaging is "better things aren't possible". Maybe if they spent an election or two saying "We fixed <thing> for you. Vote for us and we'll do more of that." they would have a much stronger, more resonant message.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Noone wants to forgo the tourniquet but it lasts until the next semester and then the cycle starts all over. Instead we have "do anything" and are upset when anything is done cause it wasn't enough.

While their messaging is lovely compared to the right wing hatred propaganda machine, they aren't making it any easier on themselves when the foundation of their messaging is "better things aren't possible". Maybe if they spent an election or two saying "We fixed <thing> for you. Vote for us and we'll do more of that." they would have a much stronger, more resonant message.

If you don't like the better things aren't possible message then why wouldn't you support increased schooling for everyone with debt cancellation? The logic is baffling.

Cancellation benefits the rich to the greatest degree. Poor and minorities will struggle to get 2 years of extra education and borrow less while the debt will impact them more.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 27, 2022

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In some states you can go from CC to a four-year state school (contingent on your GPA) and transfer in as a Junior.

I did this, saved me about 30K in the end. Pell grants were enough to pay for my CC and when I got to my 4-year state school, they still covered a significant chunk of my costs. Ended up leaving school with something like 22K in debt, paid it off within four years.

All that said, it'd be nice to see more debt forgiveness come out. I've had my in-laws try to goad me that I paid my debt and that isn't it unfair that people who didn't will get a free pass? Nah, gently caress that. I don't give a poo poo.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If people think it isn't fair that they had to pay for school, then blame the fuckers who made them pay for it in the first place, not condemn everyone ever that has to go into debt to go to school.

This is not a hard concept.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

not caring here posted:

If people think it isn't fair that they had to pay for school, then blame the fuckers who made them pay for it in the first place, not condemn everyone ever that has to go into debt to go to school.

This is not a hard concept.

Borrowers are poor. Easier to target people with less resources to defend themselves.

It’s why we get mad at immigrants for working for pennies, not the citizen that is paying them.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I just have a hard time believing the guy who has done like, none of the domestic stuff to make life less terrible will now do something to make life less terrible

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Goddamnit, just kick the corpse of Albright in a loving hole already.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Goddamnit, just kick the corpse of Albright in a loving hole already.

I thought she died months ago? why isn't she in the ground?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Lol Bill and Hillary Clinton are gonna speak at her funeral.

Sure, drag out the sex pest and the idiot who only does damage to the Dems every time she comes out the woodwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
She croaked about two weeks ago and all the congressional vultures have to pick at her corpse for newsbite brownie points.

E: lol. Saw Bill and Hilldawg were going to be attending too. Lmao.