Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Casimir Radon posted:

I’d heard that rumor too, which is why I found it so galling that they got him back and he’s not in it for any amount of time at all.
Honestly that's way less irritating than him not being in an X-Wing for it. Just such a baffling choice to half-rear end your blatant fanservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Arquinsiel posted:

Honestly that's way less irritating than him not being in an X-Wing for it. Just such a baffling choice to half-rear end your blatant fanservice.

I live in Japan and I went to see TRoS the day it came out. There were maybe five other people in the theater, three of whom were a family with a teenage daughter. The dad kept explaining every single reference to his daughter who clearly did not give half a poo poo. 45 second explanation of Palpatine? Check. Chewie getting a medal? Check. Why Carrie Fisher was saying random lines in a forest? Check. But not even he noticed Denis Lawson.

fartknocker posted:

Current canon isn’t fully clear. One of the stories in From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Rendezvous Point) has Wedge and Janson forming a new Red Squadron after Hoth, since he doesn’t want to use the Rogue name again yet, but the Starfighter game set after Endor has him mention the Rogue’s are back and off elsewhere.

It constantly amazes me how well the Rogue One retcon works. It really feels like this doomed suicide mission has always been there, even in ESB, even in the X-wing books which have a separate tale of the theft of the Death Star plans. It's an appropriately mythic origin for the Rogue name.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Considering how many independent stories of the Death Star plan heist that the Legends version consisted of, Rogue One could be slotted into Legends seamlessly, I suspect.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lego Skywalker Saga even pokes fun at how many stories there are for the Death Star plans and has Dooku carry off a pile of them as large as he is at the end of Attack of the Clones

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rochallor posted:

I live in Japan and I went to see TRoS the day it came out. There were maybe five other people in the theater, three of whom were a family with a teenage daughter. The dad kept explaining every single reference to his daughter who clearly did not give half a poo poo. 45 second explanation of Palpatine? Check. Chewie getting a medal? Check. Why Carrie Fisher was saying random lines in a forest? Check. But not even he noticed Denis Lawson
I can't remember how I ended up being so incredibly tired the day I went to see it in the cinema that I felt like I was struggling to be awake the whole time, but it's one of the things that stuck out to me even then as being remarkable.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Denis Lawson’s two second cameo was the one thing in that movie that gave me a huge grin and I’m pretty sure I did a fist pump.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked Lando’s pep talk to Finn. But the movie had already pissed me off considerably in the first 5 minutes with “lightspeed skipping”.

Anyone have those examples of Jedi Vs Sith I think it was being traced from Jackson’s LOTR trilogy?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Anyone have those examples of Jedi Vs Sith I think it was being traced from Jackson’s LOTR trilogy?

I don't have the image but I remember it was the Great Hyperspace War image from the 2005 New Essential Chronology. The artist was notorious for doing stuff like that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't have the image but I remember it was the Great Hyperspace War image from the 2005 New Essential Chronology. The artist was notorious for doing stuff like that.

The one with Gimli and the Gondor soldiers is funny but my favourite one is Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima / Coruscant.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Stopped by a in a bookstore because they had discount kids books, looked in the sci-fi section, scored Luke and Shadows of Mindor and Outbound Flight. :toot:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Stopped by a in a bookstore because they had discount kids books, looked in the sci-fi section, scored Luke and Shadows of Mindor and Outbound Flight. :toot:

Nice! I love scoring finds like this. About 6 months ago, I found a used book store I didn’t know about, and found first editions of Dark Force Rising and The Last Command.

Heir to the Empire is going to be harder to find in a first edition, obviously, since less were made. But they had a hardcover of the special edition with all the footnotes by Zahn, so I picked that up as well.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

Heir to the Empire is going to be harder to find in a first edition, obviously, since less were made. But they had a hardcover of the special edition with all the footnotes by Zahn, so I picked that up as well.

A fun fact mentioned in the 20th anniversary version is that at one point they ran out of the normal dark blue covers for Heir to the Empire, so part of like the 3rd or 4th printing run was done with tan covers.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Found out about this Talking Bay 94 podcast sort of thing a few days ago. It's interviews with all sorts of people involved in some way with SW. There's on with William C. Dietz who did the Dark Force/Jedi Knight tie-in novellas. Another with John Whitman who adapted ROTJ and Dark Empire into audio dramas and wrote the Galaxy of Fear series. I see that Claudia Gray did an episode, and one of the authors of the Jedi Prince series did one as well. The couple I listened to were pretty engaging but a little too short. People are busy and everything but another 15 minutes at least would help a bunch. It would have been nice to hear a little bit more SW specific stuff as well, but that's tied into the limited time they had with the guests.

Edit: I guess Zak and Tash Arranda got recanonized in a comic this year.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 27, 2022

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

The one with Gimli and the Gondor soldiers is funny but my favourite one is Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima / Coruscant.

Tommy Lee Edwards is the name of the perpetrator. The image with the Oliphant is the silliest, but his stuff is full of badly-fitted cutouts from other sources and wonky perspective.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Battle_of_Coruscant_(Great_Hyperspace_War)?file=Battle_of_Coruscant_Great_Hyperspace_War_NEC.png

Poor Chewie in this one, how does he even fit?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Bellator-class_dreadnought/Legends?file=HeroesofYavinNRfleet.jpg

The Raising the flag on Coruscant isn't even the worst, even though some of the soldiers are so obviously pasted on.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Coruscant/Legends?file=RebelVictoryAtCoruscant.jpg#New_Republic_takeover

And so on, https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Images_by_Tommy_Lee_Edwards if you want to witness the body of work.

I would be more lenient about the tracing and copying if it at least resulted in nice looking images, but most of them just look blobby and sketchy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah I hate that style. The tracing is bad enough but then hiding it behind filters and blur just sends it straight to hell.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Tommy Lee Edwards is the name of the perpetrator. The image with the Oliphant is the silliest, but his stuff is full of badly-fitted cutouts from other sources and wonky perspective.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Battle_of_Coruscant_(Great_Hyperspace_War)?file=Battle_of_Coruscant_Great_Hyperspace_War_NEC.png

One of my earliest experiences with the Star Wars fandom was when I noted the similarities to Lord of the Rings in this, even with a screen cap of the spears from Return of the King that matches the spears in the foreground precisely, and pointed out Gamling firing his bow, and loving Gimli charging off over on the left, and a bunch of "Warsies" were beside themselves insisting it was just homage and that doesn't look anything like Gamling and that's not Gimli. To this day it blows my mind that an image like that can show up in an official publication.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Greg Land is famous for just doing that all the time for Marvel. It just seems to be a thing that happens once a company gets too big to check every bit of art against every other bit.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is Greg Land the one who was found to just blatantly use fan art from online as the basis for some of his Star Wars Marvel art?

I remember back at the start of 2015 when the first issue of the new Marvel Star Wars launched, and being shocked at how much of the art was obviously traced from still images from the original films. The fact that that issue is one of the best-selling comic book issues of all time is a true testament to the power of marketing as other than the novelty it had absolutely nothing going for it.

Edit: I'm also remembering now how a big part of the marketing for that comic was that it was "the first Star Wars comic in 30 years" which is also a testament to how much comics = Marvel in the eyes of even people who are paid to report on comics.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 27, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He's not the only one, Marvel and DC have constant problems with it. A lot of the Star Wars comics have really wonky art in a lot of different ways. Overall the new Marvel tenure has been pretty mediocre.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Salvador Larroca is capable of being a decent artist but his work on Star Wars is full of theft and blatant tracing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Salvador Larroca is capable of being a decent artist but his work on Star Wars is full of theft and blatant tracing.

Ditto with his work on the ‘Aliens’ comics for Marvel. He literally traces photos of Aliens action figures.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yeah, that was a weird period in the comics

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's really weird when you get stuff like that that's basically just "manipulating photos" and it feels lazy and cheap, but then you get fan stuff like Darths and Droids which is literally just doing the same thing and that feels like worthwhile art that says something about Star Wars.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vinylshadow posted:

See, like, I don’t really have a problem with that art, I dunno.

Similarly the comic ‘Star Wars: Union’ had all the characters look like random real-world actors and I actually thought that was a hoot.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Around the NJO when they stopped doing painting cover and went for lazy photoshop jobs more often than not they really lost something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The early NJO covers are awesome and look like pulp 60s and 70s SF covers.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Vinylshadow posted:

I dislike Salvador Larocca as an artist but the biggest issue with this is the coloring, I think. His photoreferencing is... a choice, but it's really exacerbated by the lumpy photoshop gradient stuff. Larocca's art in Darth Vader was fine, if unremarkable, but when he's tracing over movie stills there it doesn't look anywhere near as bad.

Arquinsiel posted:

He's not the only one, Marvel and DC have constant problems with it. A lot of the Star Wars comics have really wonky art in a lot of different ways. Overall the new Marvel tenure has been pretty mediocre.

Granted I haven't read any of Marvel's Star Wars stuff in a few years but I thought it was really impressive for a while. The flagship book was anywhere from acceptable to great, and I'm still impressed that they managed to put out multiple engaging volumes of a Darth Vader comic, a character you'd think would be really difficult to make the protagonist.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rochallor posted:

Granted I haven't read any of Marvel's Star Wars stuff in a few years but I thought it was really impressive for a while. The flagship book was anywhere from acceptable to great, and I'm still impressed that they managed to put out multiple engaging volumes of a Darth Vader comic, a character you'd think would be really difficult to make the protagonist.
I found the main book bad from the start, but picking up later. The Darth Vader comics have been consistently solid. The Aphra and Poe Dameron ongoings were good to great. The miniseries have been of varying quality, with stuff like the movie adaptations and Thrawn novel adaptation being really obvious examples of books that exists because people will buy it and no other reason.

ETA: War of the Bounty Hunters was dire. Absolute horseshit. Telling the same story from a dozen different angles so that when all the threads came together and a whole month of comics was just the same conversation with vaguely different art and, for some reason, slightly changed phrasing? Get the gently caress out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I actually thought the comic adaptation of the Thrawn novel was one of the rare occasions where a comic adaptation was better than the original. I don't think either one was great, but I think the adaptation's art added a lot, while also trimming out a lot of unnecessary stuff from the novel.

That being said, I've kind of dipped out of Star Wars comics after the Rise of Kylo Ren. I never read more than a few of the Darth Vader or Aphra comics but one of these days I could see myself buying some trades and going through those. I think I might just need a bit of a Star Wars detox, but getting back into a backlog of good Star Wars trades I could see being fun.

The Poe Dameron comic had a decent start, then a bit of a lull, and then its last two story arcs were really strong, on the level of the old X-wing comics. If it had kept up that quality from the start, I think it would be held up as a modern-era classic, instead of... kind of forgotten like it seems to be.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually thought the comic adaptation of the Thrawn novel was one of the rare occasions where a comic adaptation was better than the original. I don't think either one was great, but I think the adaptation's art added a lot, while also trimming out a lot of unnecessary stuff from the novel.

That being said, I've kind of dipped out of Star Wars comics after the Rise of Kylo Ren. I never read more than a few of the Darth Vader or Aphra comics but one of these days I could see myself buying some trades and going through those. I think I might just need a bit of a Star Wars detox, but getting back into a backlog of good Star Wars trades I could see being fun.

The Poe Dameron comic had a decent start, then a bit of a lull, and then its last two story arcs were really strong, on the level of the old X-wing comics. If it had kept up that quality from the start, I think it would be held up as a modern-era classic, instead of... kind of forgotten like it seems to be.

The Vader and Aphra comics are usually good binge reads, and I've gone back to them several times over the past few years, and they hold up well

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga, the Outrider is at the Rebel base on Hoth. Ever closer to a Lego adaptation of Shadows of the Empire!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chairman Capone posted:

In Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga, the Outrider is at the Rebel base on Hoth. Ever closer to a Lego adaptation of Shadows of the Empire!

Proof that SotE is canon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gsmE_hoNsI
This is a really good video about the SOTE project. Just finished watching it yesterday.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it's pretty illuminating and very well made. Definitely check it out if you're curious at all about the thinking and process behind SotE.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Casimir Radon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gsmE_hoNsI
This is a really good video about the SOTE project. Just finished watching it yesterday.

Good timing, I was just about to (re)read the SotE comic series.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just finished the Star Wars: Ronin novel. The first two chapters cover the action of the animated short and things transition into an introspective character driven story of the Ronin and the little band that gather around him in a quest to find the lost Imperial capital city.

I enjoyed it being Star Wars-but-feudal-Japan. A lot neat twists on familiarthings like the Force is not light and dark, but described as more Taoist. I would certainly read more novels set in this Star Wars setting.

Especially since it's made very clear that in the background the Imperial heirs are readying for civil war as soon as the Emperor dies.

Oh and I think this is the first portrayal of a trans character in Star Wars. One of the main characters is non-binary too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

OhFunny posted:

Oh and I think this is the first portrayal of a trans character in Star Wars. One of the main characters is non-binary too.

We've also got Sister from Queen's Hope

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apparently some Jedi in the High Republic comics are intended to be trans, but it's unclear from the text. Eleodie Maracavanya from the second Aftermath book is non-binary too, and apparently human according to Wendig's extra-text waffles on the subject. Gets gently caress all character though and is basically a token. Keo from Squadrons is probably the most developed non-cis character in the franchise so far.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Vinylshadow posted:

We've also got Sister from Queen's Hope

The turbonerds at Wookieepedia must be slipping. This is the first named Star Wars character I've encountered that doesn't have a page there.

I have noticed that book characters don't seem to getting the meticulous bios like they used to. All the characters from Alphabet Squadron only have info from the first book of the trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Page is here https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sister