Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Necrosaro posted:

Title reveal only:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBCzcAXIP4I

"Our campaign begins… Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Come join our party with Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, and Hugh Grant as our journey begins in theatres on March 3, 2023."

I can only hope this is as funny bad as the 2000 Dungeons and Dragons movie.

It finished filming a bit ago and Chris Pine has said that it is more of a comedy than straight action movie. I believe he compared it to The Princess Bride in tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Interested to see how they manage to make Kelewan not as thinly-veiled asian as it does in the books

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

muscles like this! posted:

It finished filming a bit ago and Chris Pine has said that it is more of a comedy than straight action movie. I believe he compared it to The Princess Bride in tone.

Pretty sure that was what the 2000 movie was trying to do too, what with bringing in a Wayans brother for comedy relief and everything. It's just that it didn't work. Trying to be The Princess Bride doesn't mean you can actually accomplish that.

That being said, it is a solid cast. So maybe there's hope? (Oh god, this is how they get me.)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

That isn't really clear. It's supposedly the "origin story for the original Buzz Lightyear, the character who inspired the toy line". I guess what you're saying makes some sense, but in Toy Story we've seen Buzz Lightyear movies (or were they just video games?), and they're kiddy movies, not anything like this. Like Saturday morning cartoon stuff. But I guess it could be that the property became more kiddy stuff as it went on.

I thought the idea was that this was the story of the REAL Buzz Lightyear, but that doesn't work for any number of reasons.

And yes, I know I'm thinking too hard about this. Just fascinating to me.

1. It's a movie for kids. Why are you tying yourself up in knots, engaging in mental gymnastics through hoops you've placed there yourself?
2. Have a look at Batman, as a franchise and the multitude of different media, comic lines, cartoons, etc. that exist based around that character. This kind of poo poo isn't exactly unprecedented.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

1. It's a movie for kids. Why are you tying yourself up in knots, engaging in mental gymnastics through hoops you've placed there yourself?
2. Have a look at Batman, as a franchise and the multitude of different media, comic lines, cartoons, etc. that exist based around that character. This kind of poo poo isn't exactly unprecedented.

It's not Batman, though. It's more like if we got Lego Batman as the only Batman for decades, and then The Batman. It's kind of a weird situation, and I can understand people being off balance in response.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edogawa rando posted:

I said that I know I’m overthinking it. But I find it fascinating, because it’s not really like your Batman example, as the post above me says. And I find it fun to overthink things sometimes.

It would be like if Paw Patrol released a movie where they’re actual police dogs on ride alongs with real police officers in a less kiddy movie. poo poo would be weird.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 22, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not Batman, though. It's more like if we got Lego Batman as the only Batman for decades, and then The Batman. It's kind of a weird situation, and I can understand people being off balance in response.

No, but there are multiple depictions of the same character with different tones, styles, aesthetics, etc., even within the same medium.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I hope it *is* like the Batman and we just keep getting progressively grittier takes until in 2050 someone like Zack Synder is releasing his grimdark version.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bugblatter posted:

I hope it *is* like the Batman and we just keep getting progressively grittier takes until in 2050 someone like Zack Synder is releasing his grimdark version.

Snyder's version is only grimdark because he's being manipulated by a supervillain. By the next movie, he's full of hope and faith.

Also Snyder will be 84 in 2050, unless he's pulling a Ridley Scott I think we're "safe" (I wrote this before checking Ridley Scott's age, which is pretty weird).

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

God drat, I would have sworn Scott was at least a decade or so younger. Didn't realize his first feature was at age 40.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

kiimo posted:

Interested to see how they manage to make Kelewan not as thinly-veiled asian as it does in the books

It is tho? Just like midkemia is thinly veiled Europe. What is wrong with a fantasy Asia (Japan/China/Korea really) that isn't wrong with the fantasy Europe that is midkemia?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It definitely worked in the books I was just thinking that it might not in films.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
They're using Mickey Rooney as the CGI model for the populace.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

chiasaur11 posted:

did you watch the trailer? it looks like it's still very much a kid's movie, just more of a pre teen adventure film.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ror posted:

God drat, I would have sworn Scott was at least a decade or so younger. Didn't realize his first feature was at age 40.

It’s pretty awesome

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASN_qGMUREY

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Ad Astra was an awesome movie

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Here's a slightly longer new trailer for Peter Strickland's Flux Gourmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHraElR_v60

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Z0GHWHe60

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I did not expect that character to be a gumshoe.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This looks like what Space Jam 2 was trying to do but actually funny.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
they're using some kind of bizarre tweening tool to get high fps on the 2d animation without actually drawing all the frames and it looks very bad

e: actually it looks like they're 3d models with a flattened cel shading texture applied to them? either way it's not working

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Necrosaro posted:

Title reveal only:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBCzcAXIP4I

"Our campaign begins… Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Come join our party with Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, and Hugh Grant as our journey begins in theatres on March 3, 2023."

I can only hope this is as funny bad as the 2000 Dungeons and Dragons movie.

is the presumption here that Hugh Grant will be Elminster because i'm definitely here for horny british Elminster

i don't think it's literally possible to make a good D&D movie though.

edit: Ad Astra was a weird movie and i kidna loved it

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ad Astra bugs me a little bit because it feels like it's positioning itself as a "realistic" near-future depiction of space travel, but the scientific stuff is almost entirely nonsensical.

However, the nonsense is also responsible for two of the coolest scenes (International Space Telescope fall and moon buggy chase) and it has possibly the most gorgeous "hard sci-fi" visuals outside of 2001. So, ultimately, I love it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Venuz Patrol posted:

they're using some kind of bizarre tweening tool to get high fps on the 2d animation without actually drawing all the frames and it looks very bad

e: actually it looks like they're 3d models with a flattened cel shading texture applied to them? either way it's not working
Yeah, they’re doing uglyish fake-2d 3d, which just makes the joke not quite work when one of them specifically got the “CG Treatment” or whatever.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Bugblatter posted:

Ad Astra bugs me a little bit because it feels like it's positioning itself as a "realistic" near-future depiction of space travel, but the scientific stuff is almost entirely nonsensical.

However, the nonsense is also responsible for two of the coolest scenes (International Space Telescope fall and moon buggy chase) and it has possibly the most gorgeous "hard sci-fi" visuals outside of 2001. So, ultimately, I love it.

I like the clash of it being a serious, ponderous sci-fi vs. the trashiness of Moon pirates and crazy space ape.

It's also 2/3rds of a Space Cowboys reunion.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8uR0t7vWA8

This might end up being the dumbest movie ever made

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like poo poo

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Looks as poo poo as the other two, with the added bonus of annoying me by having Laura Dern remove her sunglasses while wearing the outfit, and Goldblum waving a flame in all black. Shut the gently caress up.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8uR0t7vWA8

This might end up being the dumbest movie ever made

me: "Okay, this is getting ridiculous, it has to be the last time Chris Pratt does that stop-hand motion in this trailer."

...but it kept going.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

I like the clash of it being a serious, ponderous sci-fi vs. the trashiness of Moon pirates and crazy space ape.

It's also 2/3rds of a Space Cowboys reunion.

my theory is that whatever script or movie it started as was a lot more of a rowdy space adventure and then interstellar was a hit and they shifted gears because it was still in pre-pre-production at that point or whatever

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Machine guns. All you need is machine guns to take care of the dinosaurs.
Everyone wielding pistols.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 28, 2022

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It's so sad what that franchise has become. I wish Pratt would do the hand thing at a dino and then just get chomped

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was hoping Pratt was going to get Deep Blue Sea'ed in that one shot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They’re going to kill one of the original trio for shock value I bet.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's so sad what that franchise has become. I wish Pratt would do the hand thing at a dino and then just get chomped

They already used that gag with D'nofrio's character in the first JW.

Getting real Cartman "respect my authority" vibes from Pratt in this. It's such a weird power fantasy that this country went from lampooning to rationalizing in the last decade.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They’re going to kill one of the original trio for shock value I bet.

My bet is on all three, in a sad attempt at showing that there are stakes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

Machine guns. All you need is machine guns to take care of the dinosaurs.
Everyone wielding pistols.

There's only one way dinosaurs could've gotten to be big enough of a problem that they're killing people around the world in astonishing numbers: and that's if everyone ignored the problem, claimed dinosaurs were good for the planet actually or that they only killed people too slow and unhealthy to run away, and used scientifically unproven dinosaur deterrent. Sounds kind of far-fetched.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

LifeLynx posted:

me: "Okay, this is getting ridiculous, it has to be the last time Chris Pratt does that stop-hand motion in this trailer."

...but it kept going.

my immediate thought too and gdamn is it annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

ruddiger posted:

They already used that gag with D'nofrio's character in the first JW.

Getting real Cartman "respect my authority" vibes from Pratt in this. It's such a weird power fantasy that this country went from lampooning to rationalizing in the last decade.

I'm pretty sure I saw the first one but have no memory of anything that happened in it