Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

quarantinethepast posted:

/\/\ and that's what the public there thinks, for better or worse.
To go back to the topic of OAS, I think it would be better if there was a pan-American organization that singularly focused on infrastructure projects and other avenues of mutual aid among all members, and didn't ask questions about how individual countries ran their affairs.

There should be a pan Latin American organization. The United States should be in no way involved south of the border.

The United States and Canada are just too culturally different and the only way they’d want to be involved is to subjugate the other nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Sure, excluding the US and Canada is a given

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quarantinethepast posted:

/\/\ and that's what the public there thinks, for better or worse.

Same in Brazil, violent crime unfortunately fostered a very bloodthirsty desire to slaughter every "criminal" on sight by a large part of the population.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

punk rebel ecks posted:

There should be a pan Latin American organization. The United States should be in no way involved south of the border.

The United States and Canada are just too culturally different and the only way they’d want to be involved is to subjugate the other nations.

So you mean CELAC which exists since 2011 and Bolsonaro rejected by withdrawing Brazil from it in 2020.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomphillipsin/status/1519312439791144960

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Tony Sorete posted:

So you mean CELAC which exists since 2011 and Bolsonaro rejected by withdrawing Brazil from it in 2020.

You would think nationalist Brazilians would take advantage of such an org to subjugate the Hispanophones since the Anglos aren't involved

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I was going to say that AMLO brought most of the continent together for CELAC just last year

Maximo Roboto posted:

You would think nationalist Brazilians would take advantage of such an org to subjugate the Hispanophones since the Anglos aren't involved

the anglos are afraid that Mexico is trying to do that
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1439282027514187794?s=20&t=rMBLeSHDgvp3osDEV7p3Tg

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1519335355757039617?cxt=HHwWgsC46Znd4ZUqAAAA

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

fun fact, lithium is a primordial element - it isn't synthesized from any hydrogen/helium fusion process. That's why it's more rare than other heavier elements.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Zerg Mans posted:

fun fact, lithium is a primordial element - it isn't synthesized from any hydrogen/helium fusion process. That's why it's more rare than other heavier elements.

shut up nerd

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

ze nerd mans

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zerg Mans posted:

in middle school i hda a tambourine made out of beryllium

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

i thought it was interesting

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

you would

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chile and Argentina are two of the top four lithium producers in the world so that'd be quite the powerhouse if they were able to form their own economic agreement on lithium extraction.

Australia and China are the other two.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the hell did mexico nationalize then

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

i say swears online posted:

Yeah and what about Bolivia too?

I was also under the impression that the Congo was “the Saudi Arabia of lithium.”

Maybe they’ve just extracted that little of their proven resources so they have little reserves?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Allegedly Mexico has the world's largest known lithium reserves at an estimatedd 244 million tonnes, so either they were discovered since 2019 or that chart is nonsense.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i say swears online posted:

The chart doesn't list it but Mexico has about 300t of reserves.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I suppose the chart is meant to show countries both producing and reserving lithium. :shrug:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Allegedly Mexico has the world's largest known lithium reserves at an estimatedd 244 million tonnes, so either they were discovered since 2019 or that chart is nonsense.

Yeah this is the exact number, Bolivia allegedly has found a huge supply too.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news/stories/2020/03/lithium-mining-what-you-should-know-about-the-contentious-issue.html

Looks like they're just listing current suppliers/reserves. I guess neither country has started mining or processing lithium in substantial quantities.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I think that that graph is focused on producers + the US

https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/features/six-largest-lithium-reserves-world/

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They were actually discovered in 2018, according to this random website I found

https://dialogochino.net/en/extractive-industries/48500-mexico-lithium-nationalisation/

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Zerg Mans posted:

"On 27 May 2020, astronomers reported that classical nova explosions are galactic producers of lithium-7"

seems like we have a path forward to make more lithium

time to blow up some stars

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mexico's Lithium reserves were discovered in 2018 by a Canadian mining company, lmao. Thanks for the help, now gently caress off eh?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah this is the exact number, Bolivia allegedly has found a huge supply too.

yeah doesn’t Bolivia have the supply, they just don’t have the infrastructure yet for extraction? i remember before the coup morales was working on a deal with Germany for both selling the lithium but also building mines

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i'm going to smoke bolivian lithium

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Yeah, it was more meant as a snapshot of where things were before the big finds in Mexico, which, along with the Bolivian reserves are certainly going to shift who the big producers are if they can get their reserves into production. Australia has a ton of production but relatively little in reserve (although they still have a lot).

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Mexico's Lithium reserves were discovered in 2018 by a Canadian mining company, lmao. Thanks for the help, now gently caress off eh?

Canada as three mining companies in a trench coat isn't too far off. I'm glad AMLO told them to gently caress off, and I'm sure Bolivian has done the same thing unless they tackled their own prospecting.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

"On 27 May 2020, astronomers reported that classical nova explosions are galactic producers of lithium-7"

seems like we have a path forward to make more lithium

time to blow up some stars

very nice, we have one of those right here ready to go

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Canada as three mining companies in a trench coat isn't too far off. I'm glad AMLO told them to gently caress off, and I'm sure Bolivian has done the same thing unless they tackled their own prospecting.

When you've got the world's largest reserves of one of its rarest commodities, you'd be insane not to nationalize it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

When you've got the world's largest reserves of one of its rarest commodities, you'd be insane not to nationalize it.

Agreed, it just comes down to whether or not you can resist the United States' attempts to stop you from nationalizing it.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Dreylad posted:

Agreed, it just comes down to whether or not you can resist the United States' attempts to stop you from nationalizing it.

Seems like the best time to put one over on the US is when they're busy giving all their hardware away to some yahoo on the other side of the planet

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah, when the whole First World is wrapped up in the idea that they love national independence more than anything else in a knock down dragout war on the other side of the world, that's the time to make your move.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol

https://twitter.com/Murosyresisten/status/1519391627038576641

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

People keep throwing rocks at him and poo poo because he's done nothing at all so Boric is just going all in on policing? What is this, a leader from the USA?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/ame...ampaign=3170232

Apparently the economy isn't doing too hot just six weeks with him in office and citizens are blaming him.

Also, the tests that he is finding in his early weeks of his administration are giving him aren't promising.

His approval rating is already down 30%.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Politicians elected by a liberal democracy are going to defend the structure that upholds it because that's what gives them power, regardless of political leaning. You're not going to have a state that supports its own destitution.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

social-democrats, ho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/ame...ampaign=3170232

Apparently the economy isn't doing too hot just six weeks with him in office and citizens are blaming him.

Also, the tests that he is finding in his early weeks of his administration are giving him aren't promising.

His approval rating is already down 30%.

The only good form of government is one where you can choose who to get bossed around by capital