Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Heisuke was dope, he had a fuckin' bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
After the Helck anime got announced, I knew this was just a matter of time.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-04-27/the-legendary-hero-is-dead-manga-gets-tv-anime-in-2023/.185078

It really does feel like someone up there is poking into my brain.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm not the only one who sees it, right?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

No Wave posted:

I'm not the only one who sees it, right?

That With the sock on it looks like a giant finger?

The hero died was actually pretty so I’m okay with this.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
With stuff like Taisho Otome, Helck, and now this, I'm kind of curious as to why the upsurge in completed manga getting adaptions especially such a long time after completion. Not that I mind, just curious.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Free storyboards, full sales data, whats there not to like?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

doomrider7 posted:

With stuff like Taisho Otome, Helck, and now this, I'm kind of curious as to why the upsurge in completed manga getting adaptions especially such a long time after completion. Not that I mind, just curious.

You also forgot about Hoshi no Samidare (Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer) next season.

Sometimes you mine old IPs to produce new anime to inject new life into the IP, to get newer audiences to check it out and buy merchandise and volumes. Reviving old IPs isn't just a Hollywood staple

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Free storyboards, full sales data, whats there not to like?

Reduced possibility for expanded sales of the base material. If you're not putting out new product, you can't get the same kind of boosts.

That said, the current environment has a lot more demand for new anime than prior years, which means that companies are trying to make more supply at a dizzying rate, grabbing light novels with just one volume published, obscure manga with niche premises, and basically anything else that might have enough appeal to turn a profit. It probably will burst some time soonish, but until it does, a lot of popular older manga that were "never getting adapted" are going to get their chances.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

some of these adaptations are for authors with ongoing works, so you can conceivably leverage an anime into sales for multiple series that way

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

some of these adaptations are for authors with ongoing works, so you can conceivably leverage an anime into sales for multiple series that way

In theory, yes. In practice, it's trickier.

As Samurai Eight shows, people liking one of an author's works doesn't mean the next one will succeed.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Julias posted:

You also forgot about Hoshi no Samidare (Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer) next season.

Sometimes you mine old IPs to produce new anime to inject new life into the IP, to get newer audiences to check it out and buy merchandise and volumes. Reviving old IPs isn't just a Hollywood staple

Oh poo poo you're right. Totally forgot that's getting an anime soon. I just find it super surreal that a HUGE chunk of manga that I like and enjoyed reading have gotten adaptions even if they're completed(Finished readig Yuusha ga Shinda a couple of months ago and was literally thinking it would make a dope anime and here we are). Undead Adventurer also got announced and I'm super pumped for that as well.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I will continue to think that Hoshi no Samidare anime adaption is some kind of sick, twisted joke until I see the first episode with my own eyes. I won't be disappointed again. :colbert:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
In the case of Yuusha ga Shinda there's a second factor:

https://twitter.com/yuusyagasinda/status/1517156467085701120

DeepL posted:

What a surprise!!!

From Monday, May 9, 2022, "The Brave are Dead! -Kamigami no Kuni Hen-" will begin serialization on MangaOne on May 9, 2022!

Touka and his friends' new adventure will begin as they aim for the "Land of God" where Zion resides!
There's gonna be a sequel.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kyte posted:

In the case of Yuusha ga Shinda there's a second factor:

https://twitter.com/yuusyagasinda/status/1517156467085701120

There's gonna be a sequel.

Well drat. That actually explains things.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

did not expect the tell c author's new series to be 100% in my strike zone but now i'm gonna die if it doesn't get picked up in english (and also if it is actually bad)

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1520157825313423360?t=MyITfcrwgt3z64D5ZYLJWw&s=19

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Earthchild: :allears: we needed a new person to be swayed and this plan is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read.
But hey, at least it doesn’t outright completely contradict itself.
Spoiler for the people reading along the discussion:
The previous Earthchild, who gets winded easily by using his power strapped the baby to his chest and then lifted dad into the air. Because the baby wants to be with dad, the baby would then lift him along up as well and this way they would lift eachother up to space.
And so they did go to space. :psyduck:
I can’t make this poo poo up

I light the lantern on my desk and dip my quill into the inkwell: "And thus did the Earthchild discover that its predecessor had carried its sire heavensward."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Earthchild (spoilering this because it feels like tradition at this point :v:): For all the fuss this series kicked up about how difficult it was to get to space, and how they might need to accelerate the baby's age by 10 years and all the troubling implications that brought, them floating to space in the span of 2 pages sure is a loving decision, all right.

On another note, Maromi is surprisingly likable, but probably not for the reasons the author intended. I guess we're supposed to think that while Maromi makes some good points about Earthchildren being bullshit, she's wrong because she doesn't have the full context about how heroic the MC is, and she's wrong for being so willing to throw her life away? But something about how the captain didn't tell her about the plan that people will board their space station, and how the MC and Albert talk past her woes like it's nothing at the last part doesn't sit well with me. It's kind of amazing how the author keeps adding something offensive with each chapter.

See, for me Maromi instantly got off on the wrong foot because of her whole "only people with big dreams matter" philosophy. It made me think of Chainsaw Man, and how Denji's small, normal dreams were part of what made him sympathetic. People in poo poo situations who can only think of the next meal and maybe some day a warm bed have it bad enough without being looked down on.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

See, for me Maromi instantly got off on the wrong foot because of her whole "only people with big dreams matter" philosophy. It made me think of Chainsaw Man, and how Denji's small, normal dreams were part of what made him sympathetic. People in poo poo situations who can only think of the next meal and maybe some day a warm bed have it bad enough without being looked down on.

The thing is, I do see your point about that. It's just that I can't help but like her due to a combination of A] the narrative agreeing with what you said and actually treating it as a flaw on Maromi's part, which is easier to understand than its poorly thought-out attempts to portray Waste as the good guys. And B] every character introduced so far has rubbed me the wrong way, so having someone who actually dislikes them is a breath of fresh air. And finally C] I like the 'untalented, but hardworking' character archetype and seeing Maromi's worldview shatter when she talked to Kareri and her breaking down in tears made me sympathize with her.

Also something about the MC making a point about how Maromi shouldn't be so eager to jump to her death only for Albert to take over and heap praise upon him makes me feel as if Albert was talking at Maromi by that point.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Suprise Magu-Chan Bonus Chapter

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/magu-chan-god-of-destruction-chapter-77-1/chapter/24598?action=read

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

God, I missed this manga. Opening the chapter with the best character, Naputaaku? Kei Kamiki giving the readers what they really want.

We also didn't see much of Yupipusu, but them appearing to own Ren makes up for it. Everyone roasting Ren for being a total loser is great, too.
:v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I missed these guys much more than I thought. But they can’t leave us hanging like this! I demand a second shot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is a nice little button on the series.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
There's still one hanging thread that they could tie off with a second one shot: Why Muscar assumes human form. I don't think they actually answered that fully.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, break weeks are rough, I miss my Monday 1 am shounen mangas.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Man, break weeks are rough, I miss my Monday 1 am shounen mangas.

At least you can function for 2 weeks without Jump, right?

(Unlike Bondo.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

At least you can function for 2 weeks without Jump, right?

(Unlike Bondo.)

I have webtoons to fall back on, at least.

Perhaps Bondo should read webtoons.

(I am useless on Saturdays because I only have a single Saturday webtoon at the moment.)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I have webtoons to fall back on, at least.

Perhaps Bondo should read webtoons.

(I am useless on Saturdays because I only have a single Saturday webtoon at the moment.)

But this was a pretty good off week thanks to God's intervention. Magu Chan destroyed my despair.

And there was Show-Ha Shoten which is still quite charming.

And I guess in Twin Stars a lot of stuff happened? Time for another multi year separation.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Time for a controversial confession but I've never read Magu-chan.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Time for a controversial confession but I've never read Magu-chan.

I want to say that you're missing out, but not really? It has plenty of charming moments, but is ultimately not much more than comfort food.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its the very good kind of comfort food though
Hot cocoa on a cold day with your favorite additions

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its the very good kind of comfort food though

Very true. It's occasionally wonderful.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm a fan of Magu-chan and I will recommend it to others--but you're not missing out on anything revolutionary. It's a light gag manga that usually brightened up my day when it dropped.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Darth TNT posted:

I want to say that you're missing out, but not really? It has plenty of charming moments, but is ultimately not much more than comfort food.

I'd argue that most of shonen jump doesn't go past that.

Read Magu-chan, it's a good gag manga.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The revolutionary manga is gonna be the Naptaaku spin off.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

doomrider7 posted:

:pray: ookami shonen anime

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Arzaac posted:

I'd argue that most of shonen jump doesn't go past that.

Read Magu-chan, it's a good gag manga.

Thing is though, while none of the manga are intellectually stimulating or life changing, they do scratch different itches.
Ayashimon/Sakamoto: Looks awesome
Shugomaru/Roboco: Funny
Ayakashi: :sonia:
Earthchild: :psyboom:
BlueBox: Romance

Magu, for me, never really fit into any of those categories. It was never an action manga (and it's attempt at being one for a bit were pretty meh), I'd hesitate to really call it a gag manga, but it was also never quite a slice of life thing.
This isn't a knock against it, Magu Chan was Magu chan. It was never going to be the next One Piece or Dr Stone. Instead it's just a :

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And sometimes you didn't want hot cocoa and the manga would bore you, but then sometimes it hit the exact making you feel happy for a bit. :unsmith:
I'd tell people to give it a try, but it's not a must read by any means. IMO.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Magu always felt like it was building up to something emotionally devastating because it was otherwise so sweet. It turns out I’m just jaded and can no longer imagine things being nice and cozy without suspicion that it’s all going to be ruined. I really appreciated Magu-chan.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I wouldn't call Magu-chan a gag manga either. Going into it expecting tons of laughs will probably leave you disappointed. It's got some good jokes and gags, but not nearly enough to label it a comedy series imo.

As others have said, it's more of just a nice, cozy, cute lil series to warm your heart up and make you smile. :unsmith:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Magu-chan had the Holy Order subdue a millennia-old eldritch horror by giving it unlimited internet access, and for that I can respect it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1521089545118355456?s=20&t=05Qxdj_oVDVXHhM3QieKIg

Earthchild getting color pages :allears: