Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

tbf I guess the answer is probably less that they forgot he existed and more that they didn't know in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drone posted:

I'm a couple episodes behind on PIC and not in any hurry to catch up.

So did the writers just completely forget Picard's older brother existed, or

It could be he was sufficiently older that he had already left home, or was off at boarding school, or even at summer camp during the incident. The whole series of events from them coming to live at the chateau, painting the windows, playing hide and seek, and then the suicide could have happened over just a few weeks. He's a little boy when they arrive and still a little boy when she dies. There is no sense of time passing other than the time it would have taken to paint the windows.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Robert_Picard

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

But they gave them green laser sights because the Borg.

The green lasers on their guns make Borg laser noises because the humans holding the guns have been assimilated

Why am I not joking

Drone posted:

Oh you better believe they hard forgot about René

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 29, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

I'm a couple episodes behind on PIC and not in any hurry to catch up.

I think there was a throwaway line about him being away?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Robert's away at an in-patient program for the chronically callous."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Robert (scowling over mother's corpse): I never liked you, Jean Luc.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I managed to unlock TOS Uhura in Fleet Command, and her captain ability is called "Sorry, Neither" :allears:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Strange New Worlds opening credits.

https://mobile.twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1520047754667610113

Ugh, I like it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

It's pretty good.

You can't go wrong with sticking to the formula. It's a good formula. Probably my least favorite music other than the Enterprise theme though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LOL at the comments asking about wokeness.

Progressive social agendas in MY Star Trek?!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The star trek theme in the style of Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

dont have any beefs although there is kind of an ominous or maybe even militaristic tone in that theme

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The music sounds like one of those soundalikes that someone would make to avoid getting sued, but other than that it looks pretty decent!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Prodigy also has a good theme but initially sounded like a sound-alike to me. When the hell is that coming back??

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

External Organs posted:

Prodigy also has a good theme but initially sounded like a sound-alike to me. When the hell is that coming back??

Prodigy died on the way back to its homeplanet.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

It sounds a bit like it was lifted from a Bond-movie.

What's the pitch for the show, alternate timeline from the og pilot with cap. Pike?

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

LOL at the comments asking about wokeness.

Progressive social agendas in MY Star Trek?!

imagine being a chud star trek fan :pwn:

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Pondex posted:

What's the pitch for the show, alternate timeline from the og pilot with cap. Pike?

https://youtu.be/qegKaUSjKVw

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pondex posted:

OG timeline with Pike. Literally just The Cage: The Series.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TengenNewsEditor posted:

they’re definitely out there. not saying discovery is remotely perfect but im fully convinced half the hate for it is the general diversity.

it’s one reason why there was a bit of a celebration around the orville. which, don’t get me wrong, i liked it.

this is a bit of an unpopular opinion but there’s something about the all-male race that makes me uncomfortable, though i can’t quite put my finger on it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the trailer i saw already has at least one character on the verge of tears, confronting her past trauma. hopefully there's not too much of that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the trailer i saw already has at least one character on the verge of tears, confronting her past trauma. hopefully there's not too much of that.

Goddammit

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

TengenNewsEditor posted:

It really just speaks to the quality of the good Star Treks that even people who are repulsed by it’s messages still love it

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4iCAB6MFo

Did they bring in Joss Whedon to punch up the dialog or something? It's a bit quippy IMO.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

maybe we can thank rick berman for keeping it -just- lovely enough for the chuds to ignore the message

producer rick berman ought to do more less creepin' and more promotin'

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Back in my day, they hid the progressive messages behind alien metaphors, so I could ignore them!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

dont have any beefs although there is kind of an ominous or maybe even militaristic tone in that theme

That and why is there a heat mirage coming from the impulse engines?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That theme song is rear end. But the intro does at least hammer home the idea of 'visiting all this weird poo poo in outer space.'

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pondex posted:

Did they bring in Joss Whedon to punch up the dialog or something? It's a bit quippy IMO.

All the new series are. Discovery less so, but Picard's characters are barely characters so all they have are quips.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All that stuff with the ship CGI turning on rubs me the wrong way. Back in the day that part of the intro would be sweeping space shots, you know, getting you ready for where the ship's going to be going. It's a really minor thing but it gives off a vibe of turning inwards and wanking off over how cool the Enterprise is.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mediaphage posted:

this is a bit of an unpopular opinion but there’s something about the all-male race that makes me uncomfortable, though i can’t quite put my finger on it.

lol hmm i wonder

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

they’re definitely out there. not saying discovery is remotely perfect but im fully convinced half the hate for it is the general diversity.

it’s one reason why there was a bit of a celebration around the orville. which, don’t get me wrong, i liked it.

People hated Discovery because it was extremely boring, stupid, and still shat all over Star Trek's humanistic underpinning so it could cargo cult HBO shows and marvel movies; the disappointment and revulsion is real.

Reactionary conservative genre fans seem to be getting louder across the board, they're just particularly nauseating and stupid when it comes to Star Trek given the subject matter. If I had to guess and of course this is just speculation, I think that Star Trek's overall audience has either stagnated or shrank in recent years and that leads to the amplification of these lovely voices since more reasonable people have simply moved on.

The Moclans from the Orville are literally from the planet of toxic masculinity, I'm pretty sure they are supposed to make us somewhat uncomfortable

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

All the new series are. Discovery less so, but Picard's characters are barely characters so all they have are quips.

I feel like that style of dialog is going to seem real campy one day. The same way the original show is a bit dorky in its earnestness.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pondex posted:

I feel like that style of dialog is going to seem real campy one day. The same way the original show is a bit dorky in its earnestness.

Real campy would be an improvement because it's loving excruciating right now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tighclops posted:

People hated Discovery because it was extremely boring, stupid, and still shat all over Star Trek's humanistic underpinning so it could cargo cult HBO shows and marvel movies; the disappointment and revulsion is real.

Reactionary conservative genre fans seem to be getting louder across the board, they're just particularly nauseating and stupid when it comes to Star Trek given the subject matter. If I had to guess and of course this is just speculation, I think that Star Trek's overall audience has either stagnated or shrank in recent years and that leads to the amplification of these lovely voices since more reasonable people have simply moved on.

The Moclans from the Orville are literally from the planet of toxic masculinity, I'm pretty sure they are supposed to make us somewhat uncomfortable

i'm not sure i agree with all of your takes about discovery, but thats fine people have different opinions. at least it's not near as bad as picard (lol in the last ep having the obvious 80 year old man taking pot shots with a handgun)

in re the moclans, yeah, maybe. it's more that to me they feel less like that's their intent and more like this trap for chuds to enjoy about having their own gay / trans characters on the show and use that for acceptably uncomfortable situations

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ah yes the classic trek fan who hates diversity saying the new writers don't get the show

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Dabir posted:

Real campy would be an improvement because it's loving excruciating right now

Agreed. Blame Gen X for inventing ironic distance.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

in re the moclans, yeah, maybe. it's more that to me they feel less like that's their intent and more like this trap for chuds to enjoy about having their own gay / trans characters on the show and use that for acceptably uncomfortable situations

Is this the impression you got from actually watching the episodes in question or is this what YouTube assholes are saying?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Is this the impression you got from actually watching the episodes in question or is this what YouTube assholes are saying?

i've seen all the eps yeah

i'm sure macfarlane probably feels like it's this big progressive show of allyship but i found the baby episode extremely weird

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
explain? it's a weird episode because their culture is hosed up but thats kind of the point and i assume you got that so idk what youre gettin at?