Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Taylor Ward is batting .404 with a 1.347 OPS in 47 AB's / 58 PA's

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i mean good for those guys, but for me a no hitter is one guy throwing a no-hitter and not seven guys going like one plus innings. when the cubs had their combined no-no last year that i compeltely forgot happened until tonight, kimbrel had no idea he was even in one.

Yeah it’s like a no hitter is a pitcher doing something seemingly impossible and a heroes journey and it etches his name on history. And a combined no hitter is a bunch of pitchers pitching really well on the same day to happen to do a cool thing that’s kind of an anomaly. It’s just different.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Combined no-hitters are like "we min-maxed our relief pitching to total victory" and it's like... neat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Travis Demeritte with the inside the park home run.

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1520207067444879360

that's a four base error and it's not even close lol

but I'm sure the Braves official scorer gave him the HR on it

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

IcePhoenix posted:

They are in Texas and yes the scorer gave him a HR.

Also, since I am making a post, I'll add another get hosed Bauer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like pretty much every in the park home run is an error with home cooking. There’s probably a few that just bounce weird but usually someone fucks up to make it possible.

It’s still cool because you gotta be crazy fast to do it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Squall posted:

They are in Texas and yes the scorer gave him a HR.

Also, since I am making a post, I'll add another get hosed Bauer.

Oh I just heard a lot of cheering and assumed it was in atlanta lol

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I wanna see a combined inside the park home run someday

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like pretty much every in the park home run is an error with home cooking. There’s probably a few that just bounce weird but usually someone fucks up to make it possible.

It’s still cool because you gotta be crazy fast to do it.

Yeah. Unless your stadium is massive, pretty much all inside-the-park HRs are caused by errors that aren't generally scored as errors in baseball.

Two of them come to mind that happened during a Braves game: that time when the Diamondbacks won a game due to Jason Heyward murdering Nate McClouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqisSyP_z2w

Dansby Swanson's first career HR, which I believe is the last inside-the-park HR by the Braves until tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuDfBjpkl_A

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Johnny Bravo posted:

I swear we saw a combined homer a couple years back. Batter hits it out but it’s initially ruled a double. The now-runner is pulled for a pinch runner, then the play is reviewed. The hit is ruled a home run but since the switch was already made, the pinch runner completes the run.

Am I horribly misremembering this?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
God I wish he'd come up with it.

https://twitter.com/CleGuardians/status/1520242472881823744

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Grittybeard posted:

God I wish he'd come up with it.

A's about to sign that guy.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

I swear we saw a combined homer a couple years back. Batter hits it out but it’s initially ruled a double. The now-runner is pulled for a pinch runner, then the play is reviewed. The hit is ruled a home run but since the switch was already made, the pinch runner completes the run.

Not sure but I'm intrigued by the possibility. I remember many years ago when Gabe Kapler was on base when a home run was hit and he ruptured his achilles rounding second base. He had to be subbed out and the pinch runner started at second to finish the home run trot

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
a combined no hitter is the tool-assisted speedrun of baseball

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

If you can score on a ball you put in play, it should be a homer no matter what caused you to score.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

If you can score on a ball you put in play, it should be a homer no matter what caused you to score.
This and quite frankly baseball needs more inside-the-park home runs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Nodoze posted:

Not to defend Bauer, although this is going to read it that way I guess, but he is right for appealing that. Domingo German beat his wife at a team or league, I forget which, event in front of other people and "only" got 81 games

Domingo German wasn't owed $60 million over the next 2 seasons.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

duomo posted:

a combined no hitter is the tool-assisted speedrun of baseball

If that were true, then combined no-hitters would be way more entertaining than regular ones

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
No-hitter TAS where the pitcher gets one of these things

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Eldoop posted:

No-hitter TAS where the pitcher gets one of these things

Now you're making me envision a scenario where every MLB team gets to use one Jai Alai player as a reliever per game.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
a combined no hitter absolutely counts the hell are you guys talking about

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Saw a coupla kids get tackled at the Jays game, was one of the more hosed up things I've ever witnessed lol.

The first kid they just kinda pulled down, the second had stopped at 2nd base and the security guy just missiled into him.

They looked like 6-10 mebe?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

Ultimately Bauer is good but he’s probably not good enough after two years away and into his mid 30s to be worth the high risk that he does SOMETHING to be more hassle than he’s worth. Like you can’t even trust the guy not to get into a twitter fight over someone calling I’m a rapist or screaming at a reporter or something. In that regard his longer reputation and treatment of others should come back to bite him.

Hopefully.

Chapman and Osuna have unfortunately proven that front offices don’t even think twice about taking PR hits for abusive pieces of poo poo so long as they’re still effective on the field. If Bauer stays healthy during the suspension some team will absolutely sign him to some kind of contract when he returns and just put out the usual meaningless lip service press statement to try and convince people they give a poo poo.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing this motherfucker’s career go down in flames permanently because of this, but the realist in me knows he’ll be back at some point.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Hand Knit posted:

That was this game:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SFN/SFN200809260.shtml

https://theathletic.com/1750136/2020/04/16/stark-the-home-run-that-broke-baseball-reference/

Bengie Molina hit what was originally ruled a single, got pinch ran for, Bochy asked the umps tor review it, it's ruled a homer, but because Molina was already subbed out the pinch runner had to complete the home run trot. It led to a rule change where you couldn't ask for a replay review after subbing in a pinch runner. Baseball reference gives it its own unique disclaimer lol.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Chapman and Osuna have unfortunately proven that front offices don’t even think twice about taking PR hits for abusive pieces of poo poo so long as they’re still effective on the field. If Bauer stays healthy during the suspension some team will absolutely sign him to some kind of contract when he returns and just put out the usual meaningless lip service press statement to try and convince people they give a poo poo.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing this motherfucker’s career go down in flames permanently because of this, but the realist in me knows he’ll be back at some point.

I'm sorry, are you talking about wronged angel Kyle Trevor Bauer, he of a current lawsuit to redeem his good name?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Peanut President posted:

a combined no hitter absolutely counts the hell are you guys talking about

Ask Manfred to change the rules so a pitcher change counts as a hit for the other team.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't think he's going to play again, he has too much baggage. Even if nothing comes out of the new accusation that should be the end

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kirios posted:

How are the Phillies so awful?!

Seems to be a bunch of guys who don’t gaf

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phillies can’t hit good fastballs or good breaking balls

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Aren't combined no hitters more rare than a regular no no?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Johnny Bravo posted:

A single where a pinch runner steals 2nd, 3rd and home?

seiferguy posted:

Aren't combined no hitters more rare than a regular no no?

All regular no hitters ARE combined no hitters, sir. The bullpen and rotation are a team

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Wait until you guys hear about combined complete games

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

Some notable excerpts from the WaPo piece:

This poo poo is a pattern with him

He loving HATES women.

Kinda annoying that the Dodgers don't have to spend that money they were going to spend on him though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

making an executive decision here but: combined no hitters don't count

Seconded.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Spoeank posted:

Wait until you guys hear about combined complete games

a combined shutout bullpen day where nine relievers each go one inning would actually be pretty cool

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bauer's series ring is among the most tainted piece of jewelry in sports

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Bauer's series ring is among the most tainted piece of jewelry in sports
he doesn't have a ring, Dodgers signed him after 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

he doesn't have a ring, Dodgers signed him after 2020

Oh yeah. that's actually a relief cuz I like that 2020 Dodgers team

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MJBuddy posted:

A single where a pinch runner steals 2nd, 3rd and home?

All regular no hitters ARE combined no hitters, sir. The bullpen and rotation are a team

the only true no hitter is if a pitcher gets all of his own outs, 27 k's or nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I'll allow catching popups and fielding grounders if they also make the putout, but there will be an asterisk in the record books