Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

tinstaach posted:

I'll allow catching popups and fielding grounders if they also make the putout, but there will be an asterisk in the record books

these modernist sensibilities are ruining baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Oh yeah. that's actually a relief cuz I like that 2020 Dodgers team
its just a shame Rich Hill didn't get a ring with them, one of many things the Astros took from us all

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Oh yeah. that's actually a relief cuz I like that 2020 Dodgers team

I mean it's kind of a shame that Turner decided to run back onto the field to celebrate without a mask after being pulled for a positive COVID test and then a bunch of Dodger players said "no that was good actually" when asked about it even though their manager is a Hodgkin lymphoma survivor. But it's not like you can even remotely say the Dodgers were the only team flippant about COVID, so. :shrug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

its just a shame Rich Hill didn't get a ring with them, one of many things the Astros took from us all

But he wasn't on the Yankees in 2017??

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

Aren't combined no hitters more rare than a regular no no?

only because until recently it was heresy to remove a guy when he had one going

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

making an executive decision here but: combined no hitters don't count

Min 6 pitchers for a combined no-hitter IMO :v:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

IcePhoenix posted:

only because until recently it was heresy to remove a guy when he had one going

yeah if it was accepted practice all along to maximize your chance of getting the no-hitter by substituting in bullpen arms when the Starter gets fatigued we'd probably have much more of them today

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
"Of the 315 no-nos at the highest level, only 17 have been combined efforts. Only 27 have included at least six walks. This one checked both such alternative boxes, while also requiring more pitches (159) than any no-hitter since pitch counts became a widely available statistic in 1987."

Screw you guys, this totally counts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Alec Mills still has the rarest, most inexplicable no-no of all time and some lame parade of Mets relievers does not take that away from him. :colbert:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

Alec Mills still has the rarest, most inexplicable no-no of all time and some lame parade of Mets relievers does not take that away from him. :colbert:

still the funniest to me is that White Sox guy who threw a perfect game and was never heard from again.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Mets hate ITT. It’s ok. When your on top of the standings you take some heat.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

still the funniest to me is that White Sox guy who threw a perfect game and was never heard from again.

Dallas Braden threw a perfect game and was out of the league less than a year later

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

The reliever who was most effective should get credit for the no hitter.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1520558443287003136?s=20&t=W7FemWBBxD3E0p4mCgfR4Q

A bit hyperbolic, but a very sweet catch nonetheless

e: jfc he just did it again!!!

camoseven fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 1, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m watching Phillies Mets and it looks hideous

A glaring neon ad across home plate why so they allow this

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean look at this

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Traxis posted:

Dallas Braden threw a perfect game and was out of the league less than a year later

Kent Mercker is responsible for Atlanta's last two no-hitters.

(the first one was with Mark Wohlers and Alejandro Pena)

Philip Humber's perfect game is still the most hilarious, tho. He didn't even make it the whole year as a starter and had an ERA that year of 6.44.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Was gonna make some dumb rear end post about some guy named Koufax who barely made it another season past his perfect game but then I just stared at Koufax's last four seasons and Christ.

Go to Hell, arthritis. You suck.

Edit - there's a long abandoned baseball podcast called "Fadeaway" that only had 8 episodes. One is a two hour or so story on the Dodgers of the early 60s. Really good stuff about Koufax, Wills, Vin and the early days of Dodger Stadium. Well worth digging up if you're interested. Was honestly a good if brief run of episodes.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 1, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

No Safe Word posted:

Min 6 pitchers for a combined no-hitter IMO :v:

It's not really combined if there were pitchers who didn't contribute. You should have to use all of them.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Suddenly craving fries for some reason

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The Pussy Boss posted:

Suddenly craving fries for some reason

They are only available for free if the Mets score 5 runs

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

I mean look at this

what am I looking for

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

IcePhoenix posted:

what am I looking for

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh, that's behind everything I thought I was supposed to look for something distracting

also those ads have existed for like decades lol

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

R.D. Mangles posted:

I was streaming SPs in a fantasy league that day, and there were two guys on the waiver wire I was looking at, Phillip Humber and some guy I don't even remember. Needless to say, I did not choose correctly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s worse at Shea stadium than anywhere else I’ve seen

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Would those illuminated signs survive a wild DeGrom pitch?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

goodog posted:

Would those illuminated signs survive a wild DeGrom pitch?

Aren't they just green screens the home audience gets to enjoy ads on?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Not only that the advertising is regional.

The Philly broadcast will have a different ad then the NY one.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I think the ones at Citi are actual screens, not just blank areas for TV ads.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I miss the days of the mechanical rotating backstop ads.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

no baseball broadcast advertising innovation is as annoying as the Mound Ad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

I miss the days of the mechanical rotating backstop ads.

That sounds incredibly cool. Were they like rollers that switched between positions on the walls?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

no baseball broadcast advertising innovation is as annoying as the Mound Ad
spider-man ejecting himself from CCs rear end

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

spider-man ejecting himself from CCs rear end

yes, lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The area I’ve circled is new and bright . It’s right behind where you are looking and distracts the eye from trying to watch pitches and swings . It’s sucks

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Learn from the Marlins and replace all backstops with aquariums or horrified anxious animals in cages.

E: but liked themed! Like a horse for the Rangers. Some snakes in Arizona. Sets of twins on the right and left side in Minnesota and we can see if they both flinch when fastballs fire at one of them! In LA, no obstructions. Just an overconfident person who will have to move out of the way.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 1, 2022

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

the ones at Shea aren't the green screen ones they're video boards like they have in soccer though they're not animated (yet [thankfully])

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 1, 2022

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Inspector_666 posted:

I think the ones at Citi are actual screens, not just blank areas for TV ads.

Holy poo poo that has to really suck for everyone except the first baseman and RF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Arivia posted:

That sounds incredibly cool. Were they like rollers that switched between positions on the walls?

https://youtu.be/uzKD14lsmUg