Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

This isn't even just an MCU problem anymore, Disney seemingly mandated all characters be between 25% and 80% Tony Stark. See for example Poe Dameron making a prank call on a star destroyer.

I thought that was more of a callback to Han Solo’s “reactor leak” bit on the Death Star, but my god you’re probably right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Noticed something when I was rewatching The Tick (The 2001 Sitcom version)...

Brrrrickfrog!
I wonder if Ben Edlund came up with this gag, since he did some writing for VB here and there?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Jackson Publick/Christopher McCulloch also wrote for that series.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

LashLightning posted:

Jackson Publick/Christopher McCulloch also wrote for that series.

Oh, well dang, I didn't know that. Makes sense, then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy A. Person posted:

This isn't even just an MCU problem anymore, Disney seemingly mandated all characters be between 25% and 80% Tony Stark. See for example Poe Dameron making a prank call on a star destroyer.

It's kind of a descendant of Joss Whedon disease, not helped by Avengers. And then they brought him in to do it to Justice League too.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Brrrrickfrog!
I wonder if Ben Edlund came up with this gag, since he did some writing for VB here and there?

I just read about that episode in the big ol' black Venture book and that was a rando-rear end costume either Jackson or Doc came up with when they were a kid and thought it was so hilarious they have used it ever since.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they probably have an entire file cabinet full of hero/villain names.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Tank Top, Bum Rush and Radical Left are probably my top three.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Purple Pete Rose is mine but only because of the AND MORE PEOPLE OF COLOR line.

Also my parents got my son a signed ball from Pete even though no one plays or cares about baseball so I think of that every time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I know I've said it in this thread before, but I really enjoyed the idea of Think Tank from the teaser for that season. Just a guy bursting through the wall as a tank, he has a giant head and he says "I'm think tank" a great gag. Shame I didn't really like the character at all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I just read about that episode in the big ol' black Venture book and that was a rando-rear end costume either Jackson or Doc came up with when they were a kid and thought it was so hilarious they have used it ever since.

Which makes it funny that it ended up accidentally clever since Frog is a piece of terminology relating to Bricks

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LesterGroans posted:

I'm surprised Tank Top wasn't already a GI Joe.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Which makes it funny that it ended up accidentally clever since Frog is a piece of terminology relating to Bricks

That bit was deliberate, I’m sure. It’s a decently obscure bit of terminology, but the sort that sticks in a kid’s head if they hear it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sash! posted:

I'm surprised Tank Top wasn't already a GI Joe.

They've outright said that they had a lot of trouble coming up with GI Joe style names that weren't already taken.

The real fun is that the OSI is barely exaggerating.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Maintaining Secret President's ignorance of your pee-pee cansker is half the battle

EDIT: This post bombarded by gamma rays to add cansker of the pee-pee.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 29, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
*cansker

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
'Cansker' has become a fully-fledged part of my vocabulary thanks to VB, but it's all for nothing as I'll never enunciate it as well as Treister does

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LesterGroans posted:

The male model-turned-sniper codenamed HEADSHOT was pure genius, and my all time favorite.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy poo poo lol.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Davros1 posted:

The male model-turned-sniper codenamed HEADSHOT was pure genius, and my all time favorite.

I never made the male model connection and the double entendre just dawned on me.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Brrrrickfrog!

thanks random youtube comment

quote:

I just watched the NYCC panel with Eric and Chris, and Chris (Jackson) stated that the Brick Frog concept was created by his cousin when he was 8 years old. Apparently it was so insane that it stuck in his head for approximately thirty years.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Davros1 posted:

son of a bitch.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

That DICK! posted:

thanks random youtube comment
There's a picture of the o.g. brick frog costume in the artbook!

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
While we're on the subject of character puns, what's the deal with Phiheas Phage? I feel like I'm constantly on the verge of figuring out his whole deal but I just can't quite put the pieces together.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Phineas Gage was a dude who got a rod stuck in his head. A phage is a sort of self replicating virus

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

pablo gbscobar posted:

'Cansker' has become a fully-fledged part of my vocabulary thanks to VB, but it's all for nothing as I'll never enunciate it as well as Treister does

I take every opportunity I can to say ‘I am turstee and it is FROOOT paunch and it is delicious.’

Toby Huss is an unsung hero.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah his costume is one of these.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TK-42-1 posted:

I take every opportunity I can to say ‘I am turstee and it is FROOOT paunch and it is delicious.’

Toby Huss is an unsung hero.

I'm pressed to think of a character who doesn't have a banger line delivery. Maybe Moltov? He line reads are always so flat, which I know is the point but it makes it hard to have a killer delivery.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Maybe not her individual lines, but if you're discounting Syyampson you're throwin' a whole lot of baby out with that bathwater.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

pixaal posted:

I'm pressed to think of a character who doesn't have a banger line delivery. Maybe Moltov? He line reads are always so flat, which I know is the point but it makes it hard to have a killer delivery.

Serpentine! Serpentine! If I was the enemy you'd be dead already!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Hunter Gathers is the poo poo.

YOU try doing all your VO work with a straw in your mouth to simulate his ever-present cigarette holder. They probably have to do 2-3x the usual takes to get his lines 100%.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I find that Billy had the single most useful line for every day use: "that's an excellent question. I have no idea."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I enjoy the poo poo out of Hunter Gathers but trying to keep track of what he was supposed to be doing in the background of seasons 3 and 4 versus what he appeared to be doing drat near gave me an aneurysm.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nilbop posted:

I enjoy the poo poo out of Hunter Gathers but trying to keep track of what he was supposed to be doing in the background of seasons 3 and 4 versus what he appeared to be doing drat near gave me an aneurysm.

That's probably the point. Half the joke with the OSI is that they're the visible and extremely campy end of ridiculous convoluted conspiracy bullshit with Secret President and everything that the viewer is only privy to hints of.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Phineas Gage was a dude who got a rod stuck in his head. A phage is a sort of self replicating virus

Which is why he had the teleporter accident! :aaaaa:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nilbop posted:

Well you see he died, except actually he had become a woman and joined Molotov Cockteases' group, except actually he was in Sphinx and had his sex change reversed, and Sphinx was actually not the original Sphinx (Sphinx!) but a new group using their leftover equipment going after super science villains who are not supervillains because supervillains are handled by OSI, except actually they were drawing out the traitors within the OSI and going after the Investors. Pretty straightforward.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I like how cocktease was effectively written out of the show post season 6, totally in the Brock/Warriana camp

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

HBO dropped a new season of Made For Love out of nowhere and Urbaniak shows up. Probably about as much as his role in BCS.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sash! posted:

I find that Billy had the single most useful line for every day use: "that's an excellent question. I have no idea."

Doc Hammer's read on this line is absolutely perfect. Billy has been asked this a thousand times and he has given up on caring and is completely bored with the question but he's also eeeeeeever so slightly annoyed at being asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pope Guilty posted:

Doc Hammer's read on this line is absolutely perfect. Billy has been asked this a thousand times and he has given up on caring and is completely bored with the question but he's also eeeeeeever so slightly annoyed at being asked.

And probably annoyed at being reminded of it. ...actually, while it almost never comes up how Billy has only one eye and no functioning depth perception, that's probably why they keep giving the shrink ray to Pete, who as an albino probably has his own sight issues that contribute to him being terrible aim with it but at least has two eyes. Doesn't stop Billy doing surgery though.

Also comes to mind, Billy's prosthetic arm still seems to function fine, but no one ever really talks about him getting a replacement eye. Mike Soriyama has come up a few times on the topic of bionic prosthetics as well as robots, and it seems like he was not only especially talented in the field, but that with him dead, there's no one apparently available to replace him or even copy his notes. Seems a lot of super-scientists end up like that, dying ignobly (or getting turbomurdered by villains) with their achievements forgotten and left to rot.