Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Landlord: I don't know what's going on, there's a huge wait for plumbers right now because they say they have a massive labor shortage problem!

*Plumber walks into my apartment without wearing any mask*

Me: :iiam:

Anyway I wore my n95 the whole time he was in here and for some time after he left while I kept my Corsi cube on full blast

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raere posted:

Toggling the option at the top to give a bigger time window seems to give figures that make more sense:

This includes December-Jan when people's third shot (received Sept-Nov) was still providing significant protection against symptomatic infection. And keep in mind that the public health department can (and does) control for demographic confounding variables like age but not behavioral confounding variables like number of indoor dinners attended in the dashboard, so the boosted brunch liberals continuing to act like they can't get covid as the new surge ramps up and their boosters wane to insignificant VE against infection means they're placing themselves at greater and greater risk of becoming a case with each passing week.

e: if i had to guess at the biggest source of vaccinated vs boosted confounding error in the case rates, it's that the 2-dose-vaccinated-but-not-boosted people are poor compared both to boosted people and to unvaccinated people (and you can see that they're certainly concentrated heavily in the poorest parts of the county) and have less access to the lab tests that drive the case rate data. Fewer tests = fewer cases. That trend is erased when you look at hospitalizations and deaths because those are driven off of the actual hospitals' data since poor people still end up in the ER and get counted that way.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 02:06 on May 3, 2022

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Stereotype posted:

it's super fun living in a world where we just have to impotently wait and watch as everything careens more and more chaotically towards complete and total collapse

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1521288272021901312?s=20&t=UHhM5ThLNfnwWZQ6mCgFAQ

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
All those poor people in the lower decks were going to live short lives anyway. Their drownings are just deaths pulled from the future. And there will be far fewer deaths during the next shipwreck because all the vulnerable people will already be dead, so no need to change anything.

e: ^^^^^^:smith:

Zugzwang has issued a correction as of 02:06 on May 3, 2022

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Soap Scum posted:

still wondering about this if anyone has evidence one way or the other 🤔

Ford was supposed to be making a clear N95
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-is-making-n95-masks-with-clear-panels/

but all news about it seems to be from February 2021.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

just means all abortion will be illegal tomorrow in texas. the state is literally trying to kill me on multiple fronts now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Landlord: I don't know what's going on, there's a huge wait for plumbers right now because they say they have a massive labor shortage problem!

*Plumber walks into my apartment without wearing any mask*

Me: :iiam:

Anyway I wore my n95 the whole time he was in here and for some time after he left while I kept my Corsi cube on full blast

my neighbor was supposed to have his bathroom redone starting today but the maintenance guy popped positive over the weekend

the apartment manager asked if it was ok to have him still do the job if he wore a mask

(the maintenance guy is also in his late fifties and not in great health overall so I really feel for the dude :ohdear: )

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

even though we knew this was coming it still feels like falling into a bottomless pit

holy poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

You just have to play the crises off of each other by chasing the pandemic coronavirus to induce miscarriage. :shepface:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gunshow Poophole posted:

even though we knew this was coming it still feels like falling into a bottomless pit

holy poo poo
Yeah pretty much

Not surprised but it still sucks bigtime

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

okay im done for today gently caress

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Ford was supposed to be making a clear N95
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-is-making-n95-masks-with-clear-panels/

but all news about it seems to be from February 2021.

oh oh, sorry, i meant like: supposing my air source gets "dirtied" by being required to break the seal (such as to show my face to security), is it possible to "clear out" the air inside of it and only breathe in filtered air by holding my breath the entire time the seal is broken, re-establishing the seal, exhaling entirely, and then take another breath?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Platystemon posted:

You just have to play the crises off of each other by chasing the pandemic coronavirus to induce miscarriage. :shepface:

Still murder in Texas and a bunch of other trash states! *taps head*

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

drat covid and no abortion guess loving is off the tablr officially

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

better stock up on abortions before they’re gone

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

holy poo poo

Vote

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pennsylvania enjoys a 15% Dem advantage and we're going to get abortion bans unilaterally forced on us because of gerrymandering.

What a loving joke.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Pennsylvania enjoys a 15% Dem advantage and we're going to get abortion bans unilaterally forced on us because of gerrymandering.

What a loving joke.

Budd Dwyer was too little, too late.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Soap Scum posted:

oh oh, sorry, i meant like: supposing my air source gets "dirtied" by being required to break the seal (such as to show my face to security), is it possible to "clear out" the air inside of it and only breathe in filtered air by holding my breath the entire time the seal is broken, re-establishing the seal, exhaling entirely, and then take another breath?

Oh my bad, I accidentally switched two words and somehow missed the entire second sentence, very good. I'd also like to know if what you're asking for is possible, but it kind of doesn't feel like you can know for sure? Like if you imagine sealing in smoke instead of clear air and trying to do that, it's hard not to imagine particles remaining.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
okay reading through the article

it sounds like abortion would no longer be a federal thing and would be left to states to decide

come to California, abortions grow on trees here

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

roe v wade being overturned is at once completely predictable and utterly terrifying

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

it sounds like abortion would no longer be a federal thing and would be left to states to decide

Nothing will stop Congress from outlawing abortion nationwide on January fourth, 2023.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

you'll be pleased to hear that Texas and Oklahoma are laying the groundwork for bringing charges against people who travel out of state to obtain abortions

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

yeah but once the gop takes over in 2025 they’ll probably try to ban it in every state

They’ll probably try to do so performatively anyway once they win the midterms, much like they voted a zillion times to overturn the ACA when Obama was prez

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I mean airborne abortion gas is freely available any and every time you step inside a building while pregnant. I don't see what the big deal is.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

Nothing will stop Congress from outlawing abortion nationwide on January fourth, 2023.

this too lol

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Steve Yun posted:

Abortion becoming immediately illegal in half the states would gently caress over millions of people who can't just go to California.

Declaring Roe invalid also opens up the legal channels to go all the way on banning everything that was based around 'right to privacy.' Anti birth control, sodomy laws and everything else are all freed up.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Steve Yun posted:

lmao.

I loved being born in TN and spending my young teen years in terror because when I was raped I knew that if I had gotten pregnant getting an abortion was already going to be a nightmare but lol i would have just loving killed myself if it hadnt been an option at all.

But hey, D&D can just have all those young women in states with no abortion rights just go live with them in california I guess?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

roe v wade being overturned is at once completely predictable and utterly terrifying

You can substitute 'roe v wade being overturned' with basically and every political and environmental development of the last 20 years.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

you'll be pleased to hear that Texas and Oklahoma are laying the groundwork for bringing charges against people who travel out of state to obtain abortions

i mean lol theyll get away with it, but isnt that pretty obviously in violation of the interstate commerce clause

not get all d&d

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean airborne abortion gas is freely available any and every time you step inside a building while pregnant. I don't see what the big deal is.

Chud states also prosecute and criminalize miscarriages now too.

Minimum wage workers should have *known* covid, which is over, is a health risk to the baby, the sentence is death.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gio posted:

i mean lol theyll get away with it, but isnt that pretty obviously in violation of the interstate commerce clause

not get all d&d

You seem to think laws matter.
I'd get an antibody test, you may have had COVID because your brain seems to not work properly.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
They’re coming for Obergefell etc next

Goddamn I wish the Dems weren’t so worthless

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Shiroc posted:

Minimum wage workers should have *known* covid, which is over, is a health risk to the baby, the sentence is death.

Oh yeah, I know. I'm just saying abortions are easier to get now in America than at any point or place in human history, quite probably. All you need to do is breathe.
Sure it's not legal, but hey.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You seem to think laws matter.
I'd get an antibody test, you may have had COVID because your brain seems to not work properly.

oh i dont think they matter at all. the only thing that matters is power, and policy invariably reflects power. im just shootin the poo poo here.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

please, god Covid, show me that you are a god worthy of worship. the light that you bring to this world of charlatans could be so very beautiful.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Shiroc posted:

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
america is trash lol