Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Personally I think maximum hilarity is that the book does come out, it is legitimately huge, but maintains the painfully slow meandering plot pace of the last two books so that it ends with Dany still yet to reach Westeros. Maybe the epilogue is Jon being resurrected.

it's not coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
He owns a god damned railroad

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Barreft posted:

it's not coming out

To reach true despair one must be given the appearance of hope only to have it snatched away. Only then will believers of GRRM be appropriately punished.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I used to think that GRRM telling Benioff & Weiss to make Bran king was an epic troll, but now I think it was sincere. He really has no loving idea where this thing is supposed to go. The point is the hint of mystery and suspense. Answers are just not what he does

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I used to think that GRRM telling Benioff & Weiss to make Bran king was an epic troll, but now I think it was sincere. He really has no loving idea where this thing is supposed to go. The point is the hint of mystery and suspense. Answers are just not what he does

Because Bran gets taken over by that lazy bird guy. It all kind of makes sense, the bells and all that itll just take 3 books to get there thatll never be written.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Looking forward to the post announcong that it isn't done, but will have to be split in two.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Personally I think maximum hilarity is that the book does come out, it is legitimately huge, but maintains the painfully slow meandering plot pace of the last two books so that it ends with Dany still yet to reach Westeros. Maybe the epilogue is Jon being resurrected.

I mean, this sounds right, except it will be "split in half" again.

edit: oops ^^^ just said that.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I like that some dead targaryen has spent years beyond the wall doing the ultimate "game of thrones", just absolutely loving everyone over, to be king. Starting a massive invasion of others, probably making bran fall to begin with, It seems very in line with the rest of the series. Bran is just some hollow loving shell at this point, which is sad and horrible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So some friend of GRRM broke out a pre-release manuscript of the first book that was written in 1994.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/uhd62p/spoilers_extended_how_grrm_rewrites_a_glimpse_of/

There are a bunch of interesting tidbits but for whatever reason this stuck out for me

quote:

You can find many differences from the published version. The most important one is that Jon Arryn had been Hand for twelve Years is changed to fourteen years in the published version. This change ages up Jon/Dany/Robb for 2 years.

So by that math Dany was supposed to be only 12 for the arranged marriage and sex scenes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So some friend of GRRM broke out a pre-release manuscript of the first book that was written in 1994.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/uhd62p/spoilers_extended_how_grrm_rewrites_a_glimpse_of/

There are a bunch of interesting tidbits but for whatever reason this stuck out for me

So by that math Dany was supposed to be only 12 for the arranged marriage and sex scenes.

gurm

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cool I vomited in my mouth a bit

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

We all know he gets hard thinking of sexually active kids. First look at him. Second read his books and see who he hangs out with.

and if still, still you doubt, the Mercy chapter itself should prove it. Let alone Dany and *waves hands around at everything*.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

quick someone write a reddit post about how sex scenes involving 12 year olds is actually super realistic and a reflection of gurm's environment and its innocent or something

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
How are people still surprised that GRRM is a pedo when it's been on full display to the world for 25 years at this point

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

At least when King wrote that one creepy as gently caress scene he was so coked out of his mind that there are entire years of his life missing.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sex pervert aside, really loling at how Robb would have been leading an army and owning everyone at 12. It's plenty dumb as is but that would have been even better.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's a feudal system, so a 12 year old could definitely be a figurehead and 'lead men into war' in the sense that he largely does what the grown ups tell him to and if he gets too uppity or makes too many blunders he'll just get replaced, which is pretty much exactly what happened to Robb.

I think in that sense GRRM writing suffers a little bit in the sense that it's not always clear that we often get a very subjective view of things, Robb the military genius won two battles, after having devised the strategy working with more experienced fighters, including those who served his father and have been effectively running the stark army for decades, etc, it's kinda easy to fall into the sense that GRRM admires boy leaders just because the people in the story look up to them, but I don't think that the depiction is really unrealistic, Robb was ultimately very immature and it cost him everything.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Also he was like 14? maybe 15 in ACOK?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

GRRM seemed disappointed that Dany had to be aged up so her sex scenes could be kept in. Essential sex scenes for his 13 year old character. And it was important to mention that the actress had hot sex scenes on other shows.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/103138.html

quote:

It's no secret that HBO's Dany will start out older than Dany does in the book; that was a change that had to be made, if we wanted to keep the sex scenes, and David and Dan and I were all agreed that the sex scenes were essential. Tamzin can play much younger than her actual age (as she does when playing Katheryn) and her sex scenes on THE TUDORS were as hot as anything I've ever seen on TV.

Can't forget that one of GRRM's biggest criticisms of the show is that they made his depiction of Drogo's forced arranged marriage with a 13 year old look like a rape. Of course GRRM intended it to be romantic and titillating.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Also he was like 14? maybe 15 in ACOK?

Those ages seem right, just feels like while 14 is a huge stretch for what he was doing 12 would be very hard to believe. On the other hand Edward, Prince of Wales was like only 16 at the Battle of Crecy and 19 when he captured the King of France so these things happened.

But yeah you're obviously right in the rest of that.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

the next book, were it to ever release, is gonna be 10 chapters of nothing but diarrhea and rape flashbacks. The entire book takes place over an evening. Stannis is still preparing for battle by the epilogue.

bone emulator fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 4, 2022

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

some bust on that guy posted:

GRRM seemed disappointed that Dany had to be aged up so her sex scenes could be kept in. Essential sex scenes for his 13 year old character. And it was important to mention that the actress had hot sex scenes on other shows.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/103138.html

Can't forget that one of GRRM's biggest criticisms of the show is that they made his depiction of Drogo's forced arranged marriage with a 13 year old look like a rape. Of course GRRM intended it to be romantic and titillating.

:barf:

God it says so much that every sexual relationship depicted in this series is some form of rape, pedophilia, prostitution, a mix of all three, or "off-screen" pregnancy sex.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Amazing how the show turned one of the few non rape scenes into a rape scene purely by accident somehow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Amazing how the show turned one of the few non rape scenes into a rape scene purely by accident somehow.

It was the first clue that Dan Weiss and David Benioff might not have been as good at that whole "writing" thing as people gave them credit for. IE: the credit to let them make a multi-million dollar television epic.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

It was the first clue that Dan Weiss and David Benioff might not have been as good at that whole "writing" thing as people gave them credit for. IE: the credit to let them make a multi-million dollar television epic.

I thought the first clue was the legendarily bad original pilot but it seems like it's going to stay buried so we'll never see exactly how bad you can get while still getting a second chance because you're somebody's failson.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I still maintain the D&D are great writers*

*while collaborating with Martin**

**who has worked in television before***

***and was adapting his own material****

****From finished books that had been published for over a decade at that point

I will die on that hill* :colbert:

*no I won't

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
GRRM not being a gross sexpest and pedo would be the real surprise.

HIJK posted:

quick someone write a reddit post about how sex scenes involving 12 year olds is actually super realistic and a reflection of gurm's environment and its innocent or something

So did they mention they were a Libertarian before or after making that post?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Evil Fluffy posted:

GRRM not being a gross sexpest and pedo would be the real surprise.

So did they mention they were a Libertarian before or after making that post?

haven't seen it yet but since it is reddit then we can safely assume that they're a libertarian

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

I still maintain the D&D are great writers*

*while collaborating with Martin**

**who has worked in television before***

***and was adapting his own material****

****From finished books that had been published for over a decade at that point

I will die on that hill* :colbert:

*no I won't

i really don't think that it took writing geniuses to crank out season 1, and everything thereafter kinda sucks (it's true, watch the early seasons again knowing what you know about how the show is going to end and season 1 is the only one that completely holds up)

there is a lot of talent on display in that production, acting, cinematography, sets, etc. but in terms of writing specifically, the novel just sort of jumps onto the screen by itself

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I do remember noticing during Season One how all of the most prominent original bits involved prostitutes and felt very "write what you know" and between that, subsequent seasons, and learning about how Whedon was all about loving his employees and hiring prostitutes and then making shows like Firefly/Dollhouse.... methinks the Entertainment industry is run by a "type."

And that "type" loving sucks.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Making that whole scene explicitly rapey is like one of the few good writing choices D&D pulled off, the gurm text is some real awful pedo smut.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Daeneyrs sucks in most of the books but the first one especially is so astounding. Yeah she's boring in book five but having my introduction to the ancient bloodline of dragonlords be a teenage girl fall in love with her rapist is insane.

I don't care what actual medieval marriages were like (and I've read that in reality even medieval Europeans weren't as bad as ASOIAF) that was a conscious decision by a creepy dude who looks like Santa Claus.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Medieval marriages could be arranged quite young and there could be large age disparities but the girl was almost always around 16 when it was finalized.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DaysBefore posted:

I don't care what actual medieval marriages were like (and I've read that in reality even medieval Europeans weren't as bad as ASOIAF) that was a conscious decision by a creepy dude who looks like Santa Claus.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Medieval marriages could be arranged quite young and there could be large age disparities but the girl was almost always around 16 when it was finalized.

I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM had done extensive research to find just one example so he could refer to it when any complaints arose so he could say "See! It did happen in real life! So you can't criticize what I wrote!"

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

His whole thing with ASoIaF is that it's modeled on the war of the roses, and that involved a pretty prominent marriage of a 13 year old girl. So of course all the girls in his book also get married at 13.

That said, this wasn't super unusual in medieval / early modern times from what I understand. In Italy it was apparently relatively common for noble girls to get married at fourteen or so. Of course, that doesn't mean this is how it was for everyone, and especially non-nobles usually got married in their twenties. But even in countries where getting married young was rare, you can pretty much take any known noble and dig around in their family tree a bit and you'll find people getting married and giving birth at <16.

So yeah, the "that's just how it was" argument is wrong, but the "Margaret Beaufort is the only person ever to marry before age 25" argument is also wrong.

pidan fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 6, 2022

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Im currently in a phase of going back and reading fantasy by Ursula K. Le Guin, and its kinda cool how shes like everything that GRRM is not. Her books are shorter and her writing has a sort of clear and concise clarity. Having recently re-read the book Tehanu, that in particular feels like such a perfect response to the sort of gross misogyny and sexist masculine bullshit that ASOIAF (and most fantasy worlds in general, even Le Guins original Earthsea trilogy) are so deeply entrenched in.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Im not saying this to defend Gurm, but my mother was 14 when she married my dad, who was 18. This was in the 70s. My grandmother, on my moms side, had given legal consent to the marriage.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

chaosapiant posted:

Im not saying this to defend Gurm, but my mother was 14 when she married my dad, who was 18. This was in the 70s. My grandmother, on my moms side, had given legal consent to the marriage.

Jesus :catstare:

Just reminds me that this very scenario is still very much legal throughout the US and past attempts to change that have been shot down.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

I still maintain the D&D are great writers

FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg86eQkdudI

Still excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.

kaworu posted:

Im currently in a phase of going back and reading fantasy by Ursula K. Le Guin, and its kinda cool how shes like everything that GRRM is not. Her books are shorter and her writing has a sort of clear and concise clarity. Having recently re-read the book Tehanu, that in particular feels like such a perfect response to the sort of gross misogyny and sexist masculine bullshit that ASOIAF (and most fantasy worlds in general, even Le Guins original Earthsea trilogy) are so deeply entrenched in.

I'm going through her catalogue too and agree it's quite a contrast. Generally, compared to GRRM (and probably most fantasy stuff) there's just so much less focus on war, combat, and violence as being the main event or climax of a novel. A lot of her books feel almost like short stories to me, in that they have one or two clear ideas to explore, which is done, and then left. end of novel