Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have a few employees stuck in India because they're having visa issues. They're asking if they can get their softphones to work over there and use that all the time instead of their personal US based cell phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Has anyone ever used a software that's good for both helpdesk AND project management?
I feel like it's really just pick the best one for each task. Mostly just because project managers are terrible at handling helpdesk and how the gently caress are you gonna seriously gantt chart, "user forgot password again"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Good? no

I used freshservice at my old job and it's project stuff was good enough for high level tracking, but we used other tools for detailed tracking

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
There are 2 dramas going on in my life right now.
The department is full of contractors on behalf of a new CIO at the moment and they have a very clear "jump? how high" attitude to anything the CIO says which seems to be upsetting the old guard. Interesting to see how that plays out but I am just keeping out of it.

Also had one of said contractors enquire about my old job/department as the CIO is "looking at it" - I think the view is why do we hire 15 specific people to run this network when it could be amalgamated into the wider dept. - I predicted this day would come, glad I got out but feel a bit for my old crew.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Has anyone ever used a software that's good for both helpdesk AND project management?
I feel like it's really just pick the best one for each task. Mostly just because project managers are terrible at handling helpdesk and how the gently caress are you gonna seriously gantt chart, "user forgot password again"

We're evaluating one called Halo right now that seems okay. https://haloservicedesk.com/

A lot better than connectwise at least.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

App13 posted:

Lol just completed my Cyber Security awareness training for the new gig and it was presented by Kevin goddamn Mitnick and one of the voice actors from Rick and Morty. My Fed training was presented by like, uncanny valley puppet golems

Private sector is wiiiild

I think I've mentioned this before in this thread but the number of times I've Saved the Future™ for DISA should qualify me for some sort of award or at least a chance for my band to play at the school dance.

Yours sounds a lot better with Mitnick.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

KillHour posted:

NGL, I'd have had the exact same response as your board member. "Oh well, guess I can't work on my vacation. What a shame."

When I worked in legal software (never, never, never, never, work in that industry) I called a customer to talk about a ticket. He quickly interrupted me to say, "Hey Bonzo, thanks for calling me back but my wife is giving birth right now, can I call you back?" This was in the CrackBerry days but holy poo poo. Why would you answer when your wife is crowning?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is my life now. We use Jira/Confluence as we are a very "Dev driven" org. We are having to customize the gently caress out of Jira to get all the features we need from a ticket system (mostly automation and metrics) and also starting to see limitations as we add more project managers. I'm pushing for Asana on the PM side but its a big ask budget wise.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

App13 posted:

Lol just completed my Cyber Security awareness training for the new gig and it was presented by Kevin goddamn Mitnick and one of the voice actors from Rick and Morty. My Fed training was presented by like, uncanny valley puppet golems

Is he doing stuff with more than just KnowBe4?

Can't believe he's still milking getting arrested in like 1994.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Nah this was indeed done by KnowBe4. Funny to see him pop up since I just read Ghost in the Wire, which was actually a pretty good read.

Gotta do what you gotta do to make that money, I suppose. He’s certainly got the name recognition but idk what else would make him relevant.

There was a hacker from my area who was active in the 80’s and 90’s and actually made some pretty cool tools for cracking and intercepts and stuff. I was wondering what he had been up to over the last 10 years and last I looked he was a project lead at DARPA lmao. Mitnick has always struck me as a social engineer but not much else

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

App13 posted:

Nah this was indeed done by KnowBe4. Funny to see him pop up since I just read Ghost in the Wire, which was actually a pretty good read.

Gotta do what you gotta do to make that money, I suppose. He’s certainly got the name recognition but idk what else would make him relevant.

What's funny is nobody knows who he is. Not even our IT people. You gotta be at least 40 to remember him.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

What's funny is nobody knows who he is. Not even our IT people. You gotta be at least 40 to remember him.

I know who he is and I'm 33. And yeah, he's been riding on the coat tails of "It took the FBI a while to find me" for decades now.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I got his book The Art of Invisibility which I really didn't mind, but I did go into it knowing that it was very overkill for your general personal threat models. That's my story about Kevin, thanks.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

KillHour posted:

I know who he is and I'm 33. And yeah, he's been riding on the coat tails of "It took the FBI a while to find me" for decades now.

and fair game to him, there are plenty of people earning more money, who are more generally famous, for doing far less work.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I have both of his Art of ... books and a copy of 2600 from like 1994 that has "Free Kevin" on the cover.

I think at one time his business card was stamped steel with punchouts for a basic lockpick set. That was pretty cool.

That's everything I know about Kevin Mitnick.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have one of those cards floating around, got it as part of a marketing package when I was demoing knowbe4

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Bob Morales posted:

The techniques he used in 1994 are still totally valid today. Nobody has learned anything.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

App13 posted:

Hey we use KnowBe4 in the public sector too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KnowBe4 does this absolutely infuriating thing where it will pause the video if the window doesn't have focus so I end up going into chrome developer tools and disabling that every time I have to sit through it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

KnowBe4 also tracks the time it takes to pass the class, I would always get poo poo from my boss for just next next nexting through the education piece to get to the exam. Super annoying.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I know that it is extremely important for me to sit through those and remind myself that just because I generally know what I'm doing, doesn't mean I'm immune to being tricked and that sometimes your biggest risk is the people who think they're too smart to be caught up. It's still boring as gently caress.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

KillHour posted:

I know that it is extremely important for me to sit through those and remind myself that just because I generally know what I'm doing, doesn't mean I'm immune to being tricked and that sometimes your biggest risk is the people who think they're too smart to be caught up. It's still boring as gently caress.

Protips to not getting phished:

1) Never check emails.
2) Never answer phone calls
3) Keep slack on do no disturbed.

Never been hit yet.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The only emails worth responding to are vendors offering poo poo for a meeting. All others are scams and I avoid.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

George H.W. oval office posted:

The only emails worth responding to are vendors offering poo poo for a meeting. All others are scams and I avoid.

I average about 100$ a month in gift cards from this dumb poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

I average about 100$ a month in gift cards from this dumb poo poo.

I had to sit through an anti-bribery training and my boss was like "so do you know not to take bribes now?" and I said "you obviously didn't complete the training because it was on how we're not supposed to bribe government officials. I can take all the bribes I want."

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Our ethics policy prohibits us from accepting almost everything. Small tokens like a pen or T-shirt valued at less than 25 bucks is ok that’s about it.

My last company people were getting masters tickets from our net app var, Porsche racing day adventures, all sorts of wild poo poo.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I had to turn down a modest ubereats credit from a vendor’s virtual lunch and learn thing and it stung more than I expected it to. I just wanted a free torta.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah we can't get any fun stuff anymore because we spent hundreds of millions on bribing government officials in the past and got caught. Sad!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Jeoh posted:

Yeah we can't get any fun stuff anymore because we spent hundreds of millions on bribing government officials in the past and got caught. Sad!

What was working for a lobby firm like?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

MrLogan posted:

What was working for a lobby firm like?

Politicians aren’t that expensive

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

At one place I worked they put all gifts on a big pile and did a quarterly lottery to give them away. Management was excluded from taking part in the lottery.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

At one place I worked they put all gifts on a big pile and did a quarterly lottery to give them away. Management was excluded from taking part in the lottery.

We did that at the company Christmas party. That they had on Christmas eve in the afternoon.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I once worked a non-profit hospital that got caught buying doctors front row seats to a Cher concert. It was 90s Cher so the show was likely incredible.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Cher today would also likely be quite incredible.

Also is Spiceworks trash garbage or am I just trash garbage. Day 2 of using it and I’m just blown away by how… not good it is?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think Spiceworks exists to get vendors to pay money to be listed, there's better options if you want a helpdesk, your endpoint management is going to do a better job at asset management, and I think you're probably better off just guessing at what a problem might be than asking on the Spiceworks forum.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, Spiceworks may have filled a gap that existed 10 years ago, but there's basically no excuse to running it these days.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s hilariously bad. I got so annoyed with the embedded forums poo poo at the last job that I found all of the dns entries for it to put into my hosts file.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I was at a company who attempted to use Spiceworks for asset management, but I think our internal network was structured so poorly that the server was never able to actually catalogue much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What spice level are you

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

What spice level are you

Where does Ketchup fall on that scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had enough trouble memorizing seven layers, they added more??