Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

habeasdorkus posted:

The Mets were 11 games over .500 at one point and had a 5.5 game lead in the division. They finished 77-85.

Right now they're 10 games over .500 and 4.5 games up in the division. They can 100% absolutely, positively Mets this up.

Meanwhile, the Yankees are never going to lose again and it galls me.

Well obviously all's they need is for deGrom to not get hurt again this year and maybe they'll be able to hold onto their lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is more to evaluating baseball teams then looking at contextless won loss records

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lots of teams that start off well end up doing well. Lots of Teams that start off bad end up bad

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They've also been the best hitting team in baseball lol

They have been playing a lot of bad pitching staffs. I don't think that will continue at this pace.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sure, but they're still the best hitting team in baseball!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They've also been the best hitting team in baseball lol

The ridiculous drop in offense over the last few years can really make it seem like someone isn't hitting well when they actually are. Stanton's at a .267/.299/.444 line, which is still good for a 118 OPS+. The only Yankee who you'd expect to hit and who hasn't been is Gallo, who has actually sucked.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They should have paid judge.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

davecrazy posted:

Well obviously all's they need is for deGrom to not get hurt again this year and maybe they'll be able to hold onto their lead.

I'm very happy that Jeff McNeil is good again, ecstatic with Lindor's Beltran-esque second season in NY, and I think the Mets are gonna win the division. I'm just sayin' that they're still the Mets. Lindor will go down with a hangnail and three weeks later we'll learn he's had to have a finger amputated because the doctors misdiagnosed gangrene.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

mcmagic posted:

They have been playing a lot of bad pitching staffs. I don't think that will continue at this pace.

This is true, but it seems different from last year where it didn't matter and were constantly shut down by bad pitchers. I was even bitching earlier this year about how bad the offense looked and how it seemed like the same problems as last year and then they scored 49 runs in 5 games against the Guardians, O's and Royals moving from the 2nd lowest runs scored in the AL to the most.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They get no offense out of catcher, SS or LF. Gleyber has been mostly bad but had a few good games recently and Donaldson the same.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yankees aren't actually good everyone else is just bad. That's how this work.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

Yankees aren't actually good everyone else is just bad. That's how this work.

Nah they are good because their pitching staff is awesome and they have Judge/Rizzo/DJLM/Stanton

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

40% pirates pitching staff. Can’t go wrong

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

euphronius posted:

40% pirates pitching staff. Can’t go wrong

Don't forget Clay Holmes too lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wasn’t being silly either . The early Teens pirates were really good at talent identification and development

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

euphronius posted:

I wasn’t being silly either . The early Teens pirates were really good at talent identification and development

Oh I know there are good pitchers all over the league that the pirates gave away for nothing.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

mcmagic posted:

Oh I know there are good pitchers all over the league that the pirates gave away for nothing.

Yea it's a loving nightmare. Mitch Keller is gonna be next for sure

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

They get no offense out of catcher, SS or LF. Gleyber has been mostly bad but had a few good games recently and Donaldson the same.

IKF has been a top 10 hitting SS.

Outside of catcher which has been real bad, the only hitter below league average on the team has been Gallo (I'll say Torres is average at a 97WRC+).

Yes they potentially have holes in the lineup, but they haven't shown up yet!

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
An interesting stat that I saw is the Yanks at or near the top of the league in swings at pitches outside the zone. That's not a helpful stat because there's a difference between swinging at a pitch an inch out of the zone and one that's a Baez-low-slider-special, but I do think it indicates a change in hitting philosophy. Just from the eye test, they're a lot more aggressive at the plate than they have been in recent years. Obviously some guys are still very selective, but it does seem like they've backed away from everyone being a TTO hitter. That could be personnel or coaching or a combination of the two. It could also mean they're swinging at everything and just getting lucky. Who knows?

Catcher is a black hole though, yes.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kyle Lewis looks really good in AAA - wouldn't be surprised if Kelenic's time with the club is really short. That's a no brainer swap to make for the Mariners.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Kirios posted:

Kyle Lewis looks really good in AAA - wouldn't be surprised if Kelenic's time with the club is really short. That's a no brainer swap to make for the Mariners.

Interesting from Scott today was that they don't feel like they have to give him the full rehab stint. If Kelenic doesn't start trending upward in a couple of weeks Lewis will probably be up, vs. end of the month.

The real thing hanging in the air is Haniger, who's going to end up missing at least 2 months between COVID and a high ankle sprain. He could find himself on the outside of the roster depending on trades + players like Kelenic having a positive trendline.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Kiner-Falefa is hitting .311 with a 120 OPS+. lol.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kinda sucks for Kelenic how much he's getting poo poo on despite having reached the majors at age 22 and being quite frankly rushed through the minors. He's got less than 1,000 minor league AB's, and less than 250 of those are at a level above A-ball. I get that he hit out of his mind in AAA last year but it was a whopping 30 game sample size.

Hopefully he's actually allowed to get the seasoning he needs when he's inevitably sent back down.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JJ was great with the Magic and seemed like a smart cool dude back then.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL

https://twitter.com/fuzzyfromyt/status/1521901834692009984?s=21

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Umps seem worse than ever this year, but that might just be cause I've been following a twitter account that shows all the times umps are lovely

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

Kiner-Falefa is hitting .311 with a 120 OPS+. lol.

I like IKF and I defended him being good on the Yankees when people shat on the trade!.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are referring to ump scorecard that has mostly shown them being good afaict

They don’t usually affect the outcome of games

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man Bumgarner is such a fuckin rear end in a top hat, love seeing people crank homers off him

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

euphronius posted:

If you are referring to ump scorecard that has mostly shown them being good afaict

They don’t usually affect the outcome of games

No it's this one: https://twitter.com/umpjob

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man Bumgarner is such a fuckin rear end in a top hat, love seeing people crank homers off him

He's on my team and has done a number on my appreciation for them.

This is the funniest ejection I've seen in years.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

mcmagic posted:

Go back and watch it, he 100% clearly tagged him lol.

I know; I was poking fun at the commentary :D

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

thanks for this it led me to this incredible camera angle of the madbum ejection

https://twitter.com/umpjob/status/1521919729220390914

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

thanks for this it led me to this incredible camera angle of the madbum ejection

https://twitter.com/umpjob/status/1521919729220390914

what the gently caress

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I feel like there has to be something more to this, Bumgarner was pissed coming off the field I think at the home plate ump so maybe he said something? It could just as well be the ump being real petty though.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Popete posted:

It could just as well be the ump being real petty though.

I'm going with this.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

God help me for defending an ump, but I think that's in slo-mo so it looks a lot worse than it is. Assuming Bumgarner was chirping nonstop before the slo-mo started.

Although the slo-mo does make it look very sensual.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
if Bumgarner doesn't get red assed about something at least once a month he explodes into confetti.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bumgarner is an rear end but it definitely feels like the umps have come out of the gate this season extra belligerent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sydin posted:

Bumgarner is an rear end but it definitely feels like the umps have come out of the gate this season extra belligerent.

They're the reason people come to the games after all, why shouldn't they make it about them?

They've got to set a standard for what's an inspection, the umps get off on literally any authority.