Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

THE BAR posted:

Let Sleeping Dogs lie. :dadjoke:

Or probably not, never played it.

It's not a bad take on the open world. Its fun to remember and yell "IM A COP" while the undercover cop you play as shatters peoples legs and shove their heads in incinerators. Or just straight up shoots people in the face. Hong Kong's finest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Drakenel posted:

Its fun to remember and yell "IM A COP" while the undercover cop you play as shatters peoples legs and shove their heads in incinerators. Or just straight up shoots people in the face. Hong Kong's finest.

So just like in real life then

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I played Sleeping Dogs for 30 minutes and then a random mission told me to beat up a drunk guy for no reason and that was the end of that

so yes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The combat and driving mechanics are so insanely good in Sleeping Dogs it blows my mind that more games haven’t ripped them off.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Drakenel posted:

It's not a bad take on the open world. Its fun to remember and yell "IM A COP" while the undercover cop you play as shatters peoples legs and shove their heads in incinerators. Or just straight up shoots people in the face. Hong Kong's finest.

It was a fun game that looks really nice to this day imo, but it did suffer from the GTA4 issue of segregating the main characters personality in story missions vs outside of them. It leads to this funny disconnect of the story drama being "Is the undercover job getting to Wei Shen's psyche? Will he be able to finish the mission without becoming corrupted??" and then you get control of the character and proceed to happily decimate Hong Kong on a bike while eating a pork bun.

It's a shame what happened to United Front Games, as I think if Squeenix had given them a chance they would have been able to deliver a banger with Sleeping Dogs 2.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

If the Avengers game didn't exist, I'm sure that GotG would have been a massive hit. It's real good, but Avengers poisoned the well too hard for a lot of people to give it a chance.

It didn't help that the promotion for that game was terrible. The trailer they released turned pretty much everyone off the game.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

kanonvandekempen posted:

It didn't help that the promotion for that game was terrible. The trailer they released turned pretty much everyone off the game.

I don't know if I ever even saw a trailer. I think I got it for free with a GPU or something - I'd never even heard of the game up until then and it wasn't until someone else said it was good that I got around to trying it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Square-Enix's presentation during last year's Not E3 was almost all Marvel stuff. I don't remember how much of it was specifically Guardians, but I do remember thinking "oh my god move the gently caress on already, I want to hear about FF16."

Or, if you prefer: https://twitter.com/MallowNinja/status/1404161580502335498

The tweet by MallowNinja posted:

Final Fantasy series 45 seconds
Mana series 45 seconds
New IPs 30 seconds
Marvel IPs 35 minutes
Other Square Enix IPs 3 minutes
someone who is good at video game presentations please help me budget this. my audience is dying

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Guardians demo also had the problem of showing off the most boring environment in the game. They really should have gone with the opening area which is a big junkyard in space with all sorts of stuff going on in the background.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Square-Enix has spent many years building brand new offices for Eidos and Crystal Dynamics and expanding the teams so this is a bizarre change in strategy, especially the sale price. And even stranger is how it’s going to Embracer instead of… almost anyone else. Also marks a change in strategy for them as they’ve mainly focused on soaking up smaller indie studios up until now.

SE’s plans to become the world’s leading producers of licensed Marvel video games backfired hard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Square-Enix has spent many years building brand new offices for Eidos and Crystal Dynamics and expanding the teams so this is a bizarre change in strategy, especially the sale price. And even stranger is how it’s going to Embracer instead of… almost anyone else. Also marks a change in strategy for them as they’ve mainly focused on soaking up smaller indie studios up until now.

SE’s plans to become the world’s leading producers of licensed Marvel video games backfired hard.

Tbf to Embracer it’s one hell of a deal they scored here.

It’s too good to pass up imo. It’s nearly fire sale prices for everything.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

why hold on to eidos or crystal d when they can put their time, money and effort effort into what everyone really wants: the quiet man 2

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah I misread that as "Squeenix selling the IPs to a crypto/NFT company" since I guess THQ Nordic changed their name again while I wasn't looking

https://twitter.com/EmbracerInvest/status/1460906337701974017

so really just a continuation of squeenix shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to anything not named final fantasy 14

Their Manga and Music divisions do okay in Japan from what I understand

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

ErrEff posted:

Their latest bid might be worse.

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1521897135783956483

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

good

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1521963162446225408

shocked pikachu face at that last line

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Can't believe "what if the database tech we used also burned down the rainforest" somehow isn't a great software selling point.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
At this point the only employees left at ActiBlizz are the lawyers

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

blizzard put out a pretty good HOTS patch not too long ago so i say let the lawyers keep making updates

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Archer666 posted:

It was a fun game that looks really nice to this day imo, but it did suffer from the GTA4 issue of segregating the main characters personality in story missions vs outside of them. It leads to this funny disconnect of the story drama being "Is the undercover job getting to Wei Shen's psyche? Will he be able to finish the mission without becoming corrupted??" and then you get control of the character and proceed to happily decimate Hong Kong on a bike while eating a pork bun.

It's a shame what happened to United Front Games, as I think if Squeenix had given them a chance they would have been able to deliver a banger with Sleeping Dogs 2.

the best bit is when you turn up to meet with your beefy gang boss who's TRYING TO FIND THE UNDERCOVER COP in full tactical HKPD SWAT armour like some kind of law golem and convince the boss to shoot one of his minions instead of you

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Sleeping Dogs owned cause HK cinema is founded on dumb cops and triads poo poo so there's so much to mine. I enjoyed my soon to be dying language being relevant for immersion for once.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sleeping Dogs is the best written crime drama video game, even with all the unbelievably clunky cut-cost edits that completely rewrite or excise huge chunks of his character. I was so blown away by that game, it deserved better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ErrEff posted:

Took long enough but licensed games really have died hard. The rising costs of the HD era did it I think, but also apparently realising you can't just poo poo out a tie-in in time for the movie's release and expect it to sell based on grandma buying it for little Timmy anymore.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Took long enough but licensed games really have died hard. The rising costs of the HD era did it I think, but also apparently realising you can't just poo poo out a tie-in in time for the movie's release and expect it to sell based on grandma buying it for little Timmy anymore.

with big IPs its probably just more lucrative to invest in phone games tbh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

anime was right posted:

with big IPs its probably just more lucrative to invest in phone games tbh

That too. And they very much do.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably also doesn't help that the more HD you go, suddenly it becomes Very Noticable when you're not willing to spring for likeness and voice acting fees of the people who's movie you're trying to cash in on, but you can still get away with "artistic renditions" without those fees in mobile gacha card game or whatever

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah the MCU but not quite vibe of Avengers and GotG went a lot way to killing the hype imo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The best style of video game adaptation would be an Arkham-type: an adaptation which isn't a tie-in and can stand on its own as a property. Draws from all corners of the work and it's other adaptations. May or may not require 243 collectibles to see the ending.

You could make a Dune game that riffs on every piece of Dune media made except the Brian Herbert books because we all have standards.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Dang it's almost like the loving games industry has never learned a single thing

Really they should get their history on, start making games about retro shows and movies

Start with loving E. T. and hey let's do a giant pre-minted NFT release of it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The best style of video game adaptation would be an Arkham-type: an adaptation which isn't a tie-in and can stand on its own as a property. Draws from all corners of the work and it's other adaptations. May or may not require 243 collectibles to see the ending.

You could make a Dune game that riffs on every piece of Dune media made except the Brian Herbert books because we all have standards.

That's literally what GotG was

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That games hero looks a bit too much like the third Paul brother.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

That's literally what GotG was

Doesn't really work well for the MCU given it doesn't have the same history of DC stuff; people care about exactly one iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and something that claims to be them but deviates from that is going to come off weird.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the less chris pratt the better

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

You could make a Dune game that riffs on every piece of Dune media made

:stonk:

except the Brian Herbert books because we all have standards.

:hmmyes:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This is what I'm really hoping the Dune survival game being made by the Conan Exiles people turns out to be.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's really interesting to me that so many big industry titans chased Destiny's GAAS model and had so many high profile immolations. I'm trying to think of any of these huge monstrously expensive GAAS projects that have actually succeeded since Destiny, come to think of it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Kanos posted:

It's really interesting to me that so many big industry titans chased Destiny's GAAS model and had so many high profile immolations. I'm trying to think of any of these huge monstrously expensive GAAS projects that have actually succeeded since Destiny, come to think of it.

Destiny needed literal years of feedback and iteration to become the success that it is, and it was afforded that opportunity because it was a console exclusive and there was literally zero competition. If you wanted a console multiplayer FPS game about shooting aliens and getting sweet loot, this was it, this was your option. I seriously doubt we’ll ever see a studio given this much time to figure out a live service and adapt it from there, so new looter-shooters basically have to come out of the box doing everything perfectly to have a chance in hell.

The issue with that is that developing a reward economy is very difficult and it’s the fundamental life blood of a game like this and even professional economics dorks who work for video games gently caress it up all the time because gamers don’t behave like consumers of other media or other recreational hobbies, and we have different kinds of laws protecting us in different countries. A lot of games propose models of “engagement” that are legal for minors in the US but totally illegal for minors in places like Germany, so the game economy has to get redesigned for that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kanos posted:

Division/2 I guess, with the added bonus of the fans not actually hating D2 like..uhh..D2..

Not nearly as megapricey as Avengers though

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The industry is littered with the shattered husks of games that resulted from some dipshit going "that game is huge, if we copy them then we will also be huge." It happened to Battle Royales, it happened to MOBAs, it happened to RTSes, it happened to MMOs, and so on down the line.

Plus there's problems of "yeah we're in a lovely state right now, but look at how the thing we're trying to copy launched." The problem is that nobody loving cares how things were, they care about how things are. Like the example given here, nobody gives a poo poo how rough Destiny 2 was at launch, because games like Anthem and Outriders aren't competing against launch Destiny 2, they're competing against modern Destiny 2, and they do not stack up.