Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
This is cool

https://twitter.com/BetweenTheNums/status/1521896240190996484

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I knew Connie Mack was #1, but I didn't realize by just how much :stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He managed for like half a century, mainly because he owned the A’s at a certain point.

I don’t think anyone will ever top his numbers.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

LOL at the long pause for La Russa, I can just pretend that he was passed out drunk while that was happening.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I love that he's both #1 in wins and losses and retired with a losing record.

The loss record is even more unbreakable than the wins.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

The A’s were kind of a doormat team after their great run in the late 1920s. After 1931, they didn’t win a pennant again until the 70s. So they were middling for roughly four decades. I believe Mack managed until the early 50s?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Forrest on Fire posted:

Cy Young is also #1 in both wins and losses and neither will ever be broken.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

If you had a .500 coaching record every season, it would take over 46 years to reach Connie Mack's win total. Even if you managed to win 100 games every single season, it would still take over 37 years. The youngest manager in the majors right now is 35 years old, and he's the youngest manager in the last 18 years.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The A’s were kind of a doormat team after their great run in the late 1920s. After 1931, they didn’t win a pennant again until the 70s. So they were middling for roughly four decades. I believe Mack managed until the early 50s?
Connie Mack managed the A's from 1901-1950 and also 3 seasons with Pittsburgh in the 1890's.

He also famously wore a suit in the dugout

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 5, 2022

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

God that suit looks so sick. I think it's funny that managers wear unis, but I'm a sucker for vintage tailoring.

Connie Mack managed until 1950 and was known to be senile by the early 40s. He'd call players who in some cases died in the 20s to pinch hit from the bench.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I will never understand how dudes wore 3 piece suits to baseball games. They had to have been sweating their asses off

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
remembering that this year's Field of Dreams game is Reds/Cubs and cackling

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

bawfuls posted:

Connie Mack managed the A's from 1901-1950 and also 3 seasons with Pittsburgh in the 1890's.

Thanks for posting these. That second one is so good. There’s so much personality, story and atmosphere in that single photo.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

bawfuls posted:

The fact that his given name is Constance McGillicuddy makes those pictures even better somehow.

He was also essentially the forefather of the tank and the rebuild - both in the mid 10s and again in the mid 30s, he sold off his star players to pay bills because attendance was down. The A’s have seemingly always been working under this model, a tradition that continues to this very day!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

GPTribefan posted:

The fact that his given name is Constance McGillicuddy makes those pictures even better somehow.

He was also essentially the forefather of the tank and the rebuild - both in the mid 10s and again in the mid 30s, he sold off his star players to pay bills because attendance was down. The A’s have seemingly always been working under this model, a tradition that continues to this very day!

Was it Mack or someone else who owned multiple teams and just "sold" all the good players to one of them?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

more falafel please posted:

Was it Mack or someone else who owned multiple teams and just "sold" all the good players to one of them?

That was the Robison brothers who sold everybody away from the Cleveland Spiders

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thanks for posting these. That second one is so good. There’s so much personality, story and atmosphere in that single photo.
I believe that’s Mack with fellow HOFer Eddie Collins

https://twitter.com/matthewpouliot/status/1522269855243767808?s=21&t=R4ez1fXuEfrJ-yZU3hwDZg

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

That was the Robison brothers who sold everybody away from the Cleveland Spiders
what's hilarious about that is they sent all the best Spiders players to the Cardinals (including Cy Young) and the Cardinals weren't even all that great in the following years. St Louis finished 5th, 5th, 4th, 6th, & 8th in the years following those shenanigans. (They were 12th, 12th, 11th & 11th in the four preceding years)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tony Pena Jr. famously had an OPS+ of 7 with a .169/.189/.205 line

Zunino is hitting .135/.179/.269 with an OPS+ of 37. Hell, Brandon Lowe is OPSing under .600 and he’s got an 83!

I think they need to unfuck the ball.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just a reminder that not only is MLB loving with the ball, there could be (and were last year) totally different variations out there, with zero oversight as to the nature of those differences or where they are going.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Bengals have won more games in 2022 (4) than the Reds have (3).

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

GPTribefan posted:

Cornelius (it was his paternal grandfather's name IIRC), but yeah.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Bengals have won more games in 2022 (4) than the Reds have (3).
I wish they could just, like, not play. It is so loving infuriating to check in on them and see how badly they're losing every night.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The league needs to start penalizing teams like the Reds, it's honestly embarrassing to the sport to fire sale a competitive team and show up with effectively a minor league team.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How else would the Yankees compete ??

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Popete posted:

The league needs to start penalizing teams like the Reds, it's honestly embarrassing to the sport to fire sale a competitive team and show up with effectively a minor league team.

They did. That's what the draft lottery is for!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

The NL Central effectively has two teams who are nakedly not trying and a third team that's pretending to try but not exactly fooling anybody. So the Brewers and Cardinals get 57 games each this season vs teams that functionally sent up the white flag before the first game of the season. It's pathetic.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Noted hot pisser Neifi Perez

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Johnny Bravo posted:

Whatever he took he needs a refund

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Johnny Bravo posted:

Noted hot pissers Neifi Perez and Dee Strange-Gordon

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I honestly have no idea why, but I love Dee Strange-Gordon. I guess I have a soft spot for speedster middle infield types, maybe because of Shawon Dunston? Also his homer after Jose died, his player's tribune article, and the one time I "heckled" him at a WSox game when the Mariners were trying him out in CF for some reason: "Hey Dee, how's center field?" "It sucks, man!"

e: I guess I have a soft spot for every major leaguer I've "had a conversation" with: Travis Wood, Dee Strange-Gordon, and John Baker being the only non-autograph examples that come to mind

more falafel please fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 5, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

remembering that this year's Field of Dreams game is Reds/Cubs and cackling

The tickets are going to be obscene. The Field of Dreams is only about 20 minutes away from Dubuque, in Dyersville, and Dubuque is generally a Cubs city. Right now, bleacher seats are going for $3,000 apiece. The secondary market is going to heat the gently caress up in July (last year, secondhand tickets were going for north of $5K about a week before the game).

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
its a hell of a day in the MLB thread when royals legends neifi perez and tony pena jr are mentioned on the same page

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

its a hell of a day in the MLB thread when royals legends neifi perez and tony pena jr are mentioned on the same page

Don't forget Yuni Betancourt!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Does anyone know why Dee added the Strange to his last name?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Ohtani threw 81 goddam strikes on 99 pitches with 29 whiffs. Oh and he hit 100 on the gun and 104 off the monster.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Johnny Bravo posted:

Dee also pissed hot right after he won a batting title

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ohtani threw 81 of 99 pitches for strikes today, while striking out 11 in seven scoreless innings.

Dang.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

I believe it was his mom's maiden name

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

quote:

In 2020, he announced that he changed his last name from Gordon to Strange-Gordon to honor his late mother, DeVona Denise Strange. His mother was shot and killed when he was just seven years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Talking about the Royals. Is Bubba Starling still with them? I remember him from way back when he turned down a football scholarship from Nebraska to sign with the royals.

Fake Edit: Nope. I just looked it up and he's a free agent as of Nov. 2021.