Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How is Princess Peach still a princess? They never show her parents. Is she a regent or ward of someone until she comes of age? She seems fully grown.

Toadstool Kingdom is a historic name, it is technically a principality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I've had the urge to replay Burnout 3 / Revenge lately. First little thing dragging it down is that Burnout 3 is pretty much only available on a handful of platforms (it's not on any streaming service, it's apparently only backwards compatible with the original fat PS3 and some (maybe all?) models of 360 and it's supposed to be pretty hard to emulate), so I had to buy an old 360.

I know that people complained about it when it came out, but I'm still disappointed with what they did to the Crash mode. In Burnout 2 it was all about crashing into the right vehicle at the right angle to create a huge pile-up, but in Burnout 3 it's a lot more about reaching the different pick-ups (the icons, not the trucks) around the map. The crashbreaker is kind of useless because you can't control the camera, so you just use it whenever it's available and hope for the best. Then in revenge they made it about hopping from bunch of vehicles to bunch of vehicles, hitting enough of them to extend your timer and give you more crashbreakers to move to another bunch of vehicles and repeat the process. I really think the simplest form was the best.

Burnout 3 unlocks new cars with Burnout points, but they way they dole them out is a little unbalanced. By far, the thing that grants the most point is the eponymous takedown, so events with more rivals and more opportunities to take them down (Road Rage and regular races) can reward you with tens of thousands of points while Hot Laps (time trials) and one-on-one races give you scraps. I'm actually a little ambivalent about that one because while it makes events that are already a little lame even more disappointing, it also means that if you decide to "grind" you can and should only grind the best events.

I really don't like this game's soundtrack. When it first came out I HATED it because I used to be a punk kid so all that Fall Out Boy / F-Ups / Finger Eleven felt like a personal attack, but nowadays I have enough nostalgia for them that the songs don't offend me anymore, but they still really don't fit with a high octane race.

Final thing that drags the games down is that Revenge did a lot of good things about the racing mechanics (the cars feel heavier, the tracks feel better designed, etc.), but the content felt worse in almost every way (the cars are very same-y, the visuals are all bloomy and sepia-toned, the interface is lifeless, etc.). I wish that I could get the best of both worlds in a single game, but alas...

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The town music from Kings Quest 5 has to be the all time worst videogame music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1pCxXrorKM

How is Princess Peach still a princess? They never show her parents. Is she a regent or ward of someone until she comes of age? She seems fully grown.

I think it's based off whatever principle it is that keeps Vegeta as merely the "Prince" of all Saiyans

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

the_steve posted:

I think it's based off whatever principle it is that keeps Vegeta as merely the "Prince" of all Saiyans

Exactly, there was not ever an official coronation before the previous King and Queen died so the official doctrine is that they remain a princess or prince.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Princess Peach became unlanded at the time of her father's death and can only become queen when she marries a male heir in the line of succession

Once she marries her uncle she will inherit the throne and the uncle will become prince consort

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Have arrow enemies in any game ever been interesting or a positive add? In my experience they are annoying jerks who slow the game down.

See: skyrim, dark souls, sekiro, etc. I know I can parry arrows but the camera sucks too much to anticipate a shot in a chaotic multi-opponent setting

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

Princess Peach became unlanded at the time of her father's death and can only become queen when she marries a male heir in the line of succession

Once she marries her uncle she will inherit the throne and the uncle will become prince consort

twist: her uncle is bowser

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Peach is not a mushroom type lifeform but high seems to be the exclusive ethnic group in the country and it can therefore only be concluded that the mushroom kingdom princess peach is in fact a colonial usurper

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Peach is not a mushroom type lifeform but high seems to be the exclusive ethnic group in the country and it can therefore only be concluded that the mushroom kingdom princess peach is in fact a colonial usurper

The toads could be a larval form

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

christmas boots posted:

twist: her uncle is bowser

Somewhat concerning, given that Bowser Jr. is her son

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ah how soon we forget the Super Crown.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Her name is 'Princess'.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

in SMB 1 the entire kingdom’s population minus Peach got turned into bricks, coins, and mushrooms, and she was kidnapped because her voice was the only thing that could undo the curse

obviously though she hosed up the undo-curse spellcasting and only her loyal subjects that had been turned into mushrooms regained their life, albeit in a horrifying and degrading half-form

every night she looks out over the rows of bricks and coins dotting the landscape and weeps for what she’s lost

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Have arrow enemies in any game ever been interesting or a positive add? In my experience they are annoying jerks who slow the game down.

See: skyrim, dark souls, sekiro, etc. I know I can parry arrows but the camera sucks too much to anticipate a shot in a chaotic multi-opponent setting

Giant bows are kind of a neat obstacle in Elden Ring imho, like don’t get me wrong the ancestral follower greatbows suck massive poo poo but the golem archers are usually kinda fun, and Radahn’s “I will literally make the sky rain arrows” move is rad.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Last Celebration posted:

Giant bows are kind of a neat obstacle in Elden Ring imho, like don’t get me wrong the ancestral follower greatbows suck massive poo poo but the golem archers are usually kinda fun, and Radahn’s “I will literally make the sky rain arrows” move is rad.

It's funny but I totally agree, those are cool enemies. But I don't actually think they count. Those are huge gently caress off projectiles thay ruin your day.

I'm talking more about the ancestral followers or enemies where it is just a thing that slows the game down versus a cool obstacle to get through

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (and probably the other two ACs with the same gameplay loop, I don't remember) has archers that can break out of your attacks with an invincible dodge roll. And they can chain rolls together. They almost never do enough damage to be any sort of actual threat but they are incredibly annoying.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Captain Hygiene posted:

Somewhat concerning, given that Bowser Jr. is her son

This is not unheard of for royalty

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arkham Origins is the weakest game in the series for a myriad reasons, but two in particular get on my bat-tits:
  • The Dark Knight challenge system. There are three challenge lists of fifteen tiers apiece. Completing a challenge lets you attempt the next one, like getting three takedowns without being detected. Progress is not retroactive and Stealth challenges are missable in a game that's auto-save only. The Rocksteady games never had a system this inane.
  • Batman can't break balsa-wood with his fists. How weak is he supposed to be?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The challenge system in Origins is just a crime, I agree with you.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Also, if Batman is a brick-shithouse then why is every door twice his height?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Also, if Batman is a brick-shithouse then why is every door twice his height?

The architects are considerate of Bane

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Origins is maybe the only major game I haven't competed specifically because of bugginess, you can only plummet through a rooftop into an unending void so many times before you give up. That was on Wii U, maybe it was particularly cursed.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I remember in Arkham City there was that challenge that unlocked and insanely useful grappling hook skill ( let you fling yourself higher off of a roof edege so you can keep grappling around) and then the next challenge gave you basically nothing. I think it was somethong small like you can carry one extra batarang or something.
Made it so I had to do every challenge, just in case the reward was amazing.

Why the gently caress wouldnt Batman just unlock that ability himself at the start? It's his suit, I'm assuming he had a hand in designing it. Its like if I built my own car, but the airbags wouldn't come online unless I drive down to Starbucks and back in under 5 minutes .

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Part of the reason the Capra Demon loving sucked was the combination of how far the run back was with how likely you were to die in the first few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjjUbMo4Oqo

this isnt the original video i found when i first did my ds1 run through but i cant fight the capra demon i know you can skip it by going backwards through blighttown but also i can just buy bombs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm struggling to remain motivated to keep playing Elden Ring, and I'm realizing that part of it is that I don't know what the gently caress my goal is.

There's a whole bunch of personal quests that are compelling enough to be happy when I see familiar faces, but every time you come to someone talking about the main plot, they're super vague and unclear about what they want, why, and how they feel about anything else. Some lady got really mad when I asked about burning the thorns in front of a door, but I don't really know why she's mad or even what's behind that door. Apparently an NPC I've met has a good alternate plot about it, but I don't know what ti is because the only thing she's said to me is "Will you serve the doll-witch" and that's a pretty terrible opening line for getting me interested in her plot.

I'm like sixty hours in, and I still don't know why I'm doing anything in that main quest.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I remember in Arkham City there was that challenge that unlocked and insanely useful grappling hook skill ( let you fling yourself higher off of a roof edege so you can keep grappling around) and then the next challenge gave you basically nothing. I think it was somethong small like you can carry one extra batarang or something.
Made it so I had to do every challenge, just in case the reward was amazing.

Why the gently caress wouldnt Batman just unlock that ability himself at the start? It's his suit, I'm assuming he had a hand in designing it. Its like if I built my own car, but the airbags wouldn't come online unless I drive down to Starbucks and back in under 5 minutes .

Batman believes heavily in the Internet of Things

https://jalopnik.com/this-dystopian-biker-airbag-crash-vest-only-saves-your-1846823791

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Cleretic posted:

I'm struggling to remain motivated to keep playing Elden Ring, and I'm realizing that part of it is that I don't know what the gently caress my goal is.

There's a whole bunch of personal quests that are compelling enough to be happy when I see familiar faces, but every time you come to someone talking about the main plot, they're super vague and unclear about what they want, why, and how they feel about anything else. Some lady got really mad when I asked about burning the thorns in front of a door, but I don't really know why she's mad or even what's behind that door. Apparently an NPC I've met has a good alternate plot about it, but I don't know what ti is because the only thing she's said to me is "Will you serve the doll-witch" and that's a pretty terrible opening line for getting me interested in her plot.

I'm like sixty hours in, and I still don't know why I'm doing anything in that main quest.
Become Elden Lord. Duh!

In all seriousness though, that's pretty much it. You want to become Elden Lord so you have to go to the Erdtree. The whole game has like 3 objectives:
If you haven't done it by accident before then, you're told to kill 2 major bosses (demigods) to enter Leyndell;
Then you're told to get the Giant's flame to reach the Erdtree proper;
Then you go to the Erdtree and finish the game.

Everything in between is arguably optionnal.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CordlessPen posted:

Become Elden Lord. Duh!

In all seriousness though, that's pretty much it. You want to become Elden Lord so you have to go to the Erdtree. The whole game has like 3 objectives:
If you haven't done it by accident before then, you're told to kill 2 major bosses (demigods) to enter Leyndell;
Then you're told to get the Giant's flame to reach the Erdtree proper;
Then you go to the Erdtree and finish the game.

Everything in between is arguably optionnal.

I don't know why I want to be an Elden Lord either! But that old lady wanted me to do it, only to get mad when I raised the notion of burning the thorns in the way. I understand Ranni has ideas, but she's a weirdo, and some other guy suggested a different plan but it was punctuated with so much malevolent cackling that it's clearly the bad choice.

Even if Dark Souls got ambiguous later, its opening pitch made sense. 'The First Flame's going out, that's causing zombies; go rekindle that thing'; easy, makes sense, zombies are usually a thing to solve. I don't know why being an Elden Lord is a goal, so I also don't really understand the values of alternatives.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shits hosed up. Gotta go home and fix the ring

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, From games aren't really played for the plot. There's a plot there, but it's mostly something you look up after you win to try and work out what all that wild poo poo was about.

Your goal's basically to unfuck the world.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I would agree that Elden Ring gives you less than even most From games. Dark Souls was pretty vague but they still gave you an idea of what the first flame meant to the world and what the consequences of it dying out were. Elden Ring never really gives you any reason to care about the titular ring.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I've complained about this before but I don't understand why the Arkham games started with a slick, comic book, stylised and clean UI and ended with a weird cyber mess of chromes, blues, silvers and tiny text.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Cleretic posted:

I don't know why I want to be an Elden Lord either! But that old lady wanted me to do it, only to get mad when I raised the notion of burning the thorns in the way.

The game is definitely vague a lot but this part is actually pretty explicit! The old lady speaks for the Two Fingers, a specific faction that was in charge of the country and would like things exactly the way they were before everything got hosed. They originally sent you to become Elden Lord and fix the Elden Ring so they can do their thing again. The Thorns preventing you from doing that was the plot twist, which is why the fingers have gone rigid when you go back there and she says they're trying to ask God what the gently caress's going on. In the meantime, burning down the tree, which they also like because it's part of God's machine along with the Elden Ring, would not be their preferred solution.

This is all laid out pretty well between her dialogue throughout the game and what Morgott says at the tree, very little of which is optional, though you can get a few more details by paying attention to some other bits, particularly the Leyndell sidequests and Melina.

Caphi has a new favorite as of 18:00 on May 6, 2022

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

Sorta the same.

I personally dislike the lack of a quest tracker, but that's because my work schedule keeps me away from home for weeks at a time, and I'm not going to remember every little sidequest I picked up or started when I finally get back home, so even just a "So and So wants you to kill the jerk at the Jerk Catacombs, wherever the hell those are" would go a long way.

So yeah, I get home from a few weeks of work, can't remember what I was actually doing, and end up never making much progress towards anything.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

the_steve posted:

Sorta the same.

I personally dislike the lack of a quest tracker, but that's because my work schedule keeps me away from home for weeks at a time, and I'm not going to remember every little sidequest I picked up or started when I finally get back home, so even just a "So and So wants you to kill the jerk at the Jerk Catacombs, wherever the hell those are" would go a long way.

So yeah, I get home from a few weeks of work, can't remember what I was actually doing, and end up never making much progress towards anything.

Notebook my dude.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Also actually listen to the way Granny talks about burning the tree. She knows it's a super sin but she is actually down for it. She's not mad at you; she knows you're an iconoclast and she basically goes "drat, look at the stones on you! Well, play on..."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Basically I think the thing that gets people about Elden Ring is that NPCs almost never technically lie but everyone is bringing the interests, biases, and blind spots of their faction to everything they say, but the game throws a lot of NPCs at you without explanation while expecting you to suss out what those factions are and how they fit together after the fact.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cleretic posted:

quote:

Elden Ring meets once a year
At the Elden Ball where we all rejoice
And the Elden leader will soon appear
And make what is known as the Elden Choice.
When Graceless Tarnished just before dawn
Through a silence you feel could cut with a knife
Announces the Ring who can now be reborn
And back to a different Elden life
For waiting up there is the Erdtree
Full of wonders one Tarnished only will see
And Elden ask because Elden dare
Who will it be? Who will it be?

Company: Elden do and Elden can
Elden can and Elden do
Elden cats sing Elden chants
Elden old and Elden new
Elden Elden and Elden dance

Elden songs for Elden Elden
Elden Elden for Elden Elden
Elden Elden Elden Elden Elden Elden.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Cleretic posted:

I don't know why I want to be an Elden Lord either! But that old lady wanted me to do it, only to get mad when I raised the notion of burning the thorns in the way. I understand Ranni has ideas, but she's a weirdo, and some other guy suggested a different plan but it was punctuated with so much malevolent cackling that it's clearly the bad choice.

Even if Dark Souls got ambiguous later, its opening pitch made sense. 'The First Flame's going out, that's causing zombies; go rekindle that thing'; easy, makes sense, zombies are usually a thing to solve. I don't know why being an Elden Lord is a goal, so I also don't really understand the values of alternatives.

The demigods had a family squabble and broke the world. Now you need to become the Elden Lord to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

christmas boots posted:

The demigods had a family squabble and broke the world. Now you need to become the Elden Lord to fix it.

Yeah, but why? The world is full of assholes.