Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's the exact same pixel density as 27" 1440p, though. It's just that, but wider.

Maybe it looks lower res due to subpixel font rendering not working correctly

Even if you don't notice the fringing, the rendering is still off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Could be the subpixel stuff - hopefully future QD-OLEDs solve the issue

But drat is true black on a computer monitor awesome - black bars surrounding a video just disappear

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I wonder if disabling Cleartype and falling back to greyscale AA would look better for now

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

shrike82 posted:

Could be the subpixel stuff - hopefully future QD-OLEDs solve the issue

But drat is true black on a computer monitor awesome - black bars surrounding a video just disappear

I know it’s not logical, but there’s just so much static imagery on my monitors all day. I would LOVE to have an OLED monitor, but I would have legit anxiety about the burn-in

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it’s expensive first gen tech so it’ll be superseded by cheaper, better monitors pretty quickly and if minileds end up being the better tech, you won’t have to worry about burn in

but in the mean time, it’s a sweet luxury buy especially given how much time I sit in front of the monitor

goddamn watching a hdr video with black backgrounds and seeing the background blend perfectly with the black bars at the side is nuts

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

shrike82 posted:

it’s expensive first gen tech so it’ll be superseded by cheaper, better monitors pretty quickly and if minileds end up being the better tech, you won’t have to worry about burn in

but in the mean time, it’s a sweet luxury buy especially given how much time I sit in front of the monitor

goddamn watching a hdr video with black backgrounds and seeing the background blend perfectly with the black bars at the side is nuts

Yeah, having an OLED as the main TV at home now makes me want all my screens to be OLED. The TV in our bedroom has a backlight (well side LEDs or whatever) and it bugs me. And even with how great the M32U is for the price, its not an OLED when I have my office in dark cave mode.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Yeah, having an OLED as the main TV at home now makes me want all my screens to be OLED. The TV in our bedroom has a backlight (well side LEDs or whatever) and it bugs me. And even with how great the M32U is for the price, its not an OLED when I have my office in dark cave mode.

Yeah, same on the M32U vs OLED. If I didn’t use my computer for work I’d be all over an OLED, but computer touching has too many static elements.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Ihmemies posted:

Why no one makes 4K curved VA monitors? I have a 32" 1440p curved VA monitor and it is perfect except for the resolution. With DLSS I'm ready to plunge to 4K gaming. Someone make a good monitor with good contrast, please. At least one. Pretty please. VA has good contrast and good viewing angles if it is curved. Curve is kind of required for VA, unless you sit far away.

This Dell is 32” 4K, VA and curved, only $359 right now. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-32-curved-4k-uhd-monitor-s3221qs/apd/210-axkm/monitors-monitor-accessories

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There is a 3 year warranty which I feel like is plenty, and the price is only a bit more than I paid for a UW IPS a few years ago, so the value is pretty good. I just worry about it looking like an IPS with too much light in the room. I wasn't even really that worried about the sub pixel layout though that combined with the coating really makes me hope there is more competition soon.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, same on the M32U vs OLED. If I didn’t use my computer for work I’d be all over an OLED, but computer touching has too many static elements.

I thought the new Alienware QD OLED was different enough that burn in wasn’t a problem? But the text smoothing thing certainly would be.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Burnout will always exist on an LED, and it will almost certainly always be at least potentially significant on any OLED. QD-OLED is likely to hold up better, but that doesn't mean you should put high contrast static images on there and just leave them.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
OLED is great and I game on one hooked up to my PC but if you ask me, high ppi is the move for productivity if we’re talking premium options.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Taima posted:

OLED is great and I game on one hooked up to my PC but if you ask me, high ppi is the move for productivity if we’re talking premium options.

I definitely agree with this. It doesn’t matter what the subpixel layout looks like; I’d still much rather stay at 4K or better for reading or writing.

e: I do kind of feel bad that monitors are getting dinged for unconventional subpixel layouts when it’s really the fault of the software rendering the text. I wonder if we’ll ever see a spec where monitors can tell the PC what their layout is, and the OS can pick its text rendering strategy accordingly.

nrook fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 8, 2022

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I'm trying to decide between the HP X27Q and the Gigabyte M27Q. The KVM is really appealing but I don't know if it's $70 more appealing. It seems like otherwise the display quality is similar enough that I'm not sure if I would notice. Am I going to regret either of these if I tend to use them more for work than gaming?

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Thanks for that. It seems like the text issue is significant. Anything else I could consider comparable to the M27Q around the same price? I tend to hold onto my monitors for quite a while so I'm not super price constrained but if everything better than the HP is just on the margins I'll probably go with that.

The M27Q is usually considered the cheapest monitor with its featureset with the downside being the BGR subpixel layout. Main competitors to the M27Q would be something like the MSI MAG274QRF or the LG 27GN800-B, which are typically slightly more expensive and both have RGB subpixel layouts. Comparing to the HP X27Q, the Dell S2721DGF uses the same panel as the HP while, again, being more expensive, and you're also looking at monitors like the MSI G273QPF (G273QF lacks an adjustable stand for less). So yes the HP X27Q is quite cheap for what it does, for everything else look for sales that drag them down to or below the $300 USD price point.

To be honest I am not entirely sure of the compromises on the HP but if it's all ports and gaming performance... probably fine and saves money.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

nrook posted:

I do kind of feel bad that monitors are getting dinged for unconventional subpixel layouts when it’s really the fault of the software rendering the text. I wonder if we’ll ever see a spec where monitors can tell the PC what their layout is, and the OS can pick its text rendering strategy accordingly.

The OS is not at fault here whatsoever. QD OLED changed the entire subpixel structure and didn't care about or even communicate the consequences on its release. As far as I can tell we didn't even know about this issue until reviewers got their hands on the initial product and went "what the gently caress is going on here".

The response has pretty much been "well it's for gaming, gently caress you" - what are operating systems supposed to do? Spend money and dev resources to support a subpixel arrangement that like 9 total users have?

There is exactly ONE way this would have worked: early and robust communication and partnership with OS makers to support the layout where the makers of QDOLED are essentially paying for the layout to be supported AND waiting long enough for it to be implemented.

They didn't want to pay for it OR wait for it to be developed so here we are. That's kind of ok; it's gen 1 tech and early adopters can take it or leave it, but let's not even go there wrt assigning any kind of blame to the OS.

e: the upside is that QDOLED has a lot of real world, tangible benefits such that a weird subpixel layout is an acceptable compromise if you have the right use case.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 8, 2022

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

people will have different tolerances for the qd-oled trade-offs but drat using a special oled dark mode for my IDE of choice and seeing perfect black backgrounds to text is nuts

I’m realizing now how much light normal monitors emit even with system and app level dark modes

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

K8.0 posted:

Burnout will always exist on an LED, and it will almost certainly always be at least potentially significant on any OLED. QD-OLED is likely to hold up better, but that doesn't mean you should put high contrast static images on there and just leave them.

My OLED PVM which I use as a PC monitor has 22000 hours on it and no burn in.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

FWIW The miniLED display on my 14" MBP is like 99% of the way there compared to my OLED tv. Yes there's blooming if you go out of your way to look for it by moving your mouse across a black screen but it's just not an issue in actual usage

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KingEup posted:

My OLED PVM which I use as a PC monitor has 22000 hours on it and no burn in.

But has it been used as a PC monitor for all of those 22,000 hours? It looks like it was used as a medical device monitor of some sort, looking at your post history? OLED burn-in happens under some specific scenarios that may not crop up in such a use case.

And what K8.0 says is true in the general sense. Burn-in is still a risk factor in all commercial OLED products, and it will be for the foreseeable future. There are ways to mitigate the risk so it becomes a non-factor for you, but this still requires you to work around the risk in some way. It will remain this way until there are very large advancements in OLED technology, but the industry will likely move on to something newer and shinier before refining OLED to such a level.

Sphyre posted:

FWIW The miniLED display on my 14" MBP is like 99% of the way there compared to my OLED tv. Yes there's blooming if you go out of your way to look for it by moving your mouse across a black screen but it's just not an issue in actual usage

I really want the Neo G8 to be good for this reason. Give me actual 4K along with a "close-enough" OLED-like experience, and I'll take it. Samsung's monitors have been fraught with issues, though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 9, 2022

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I should probably caveat that by mentioning that I don't play any fast paced games on it (being a Mac and all), but it's certainly v. impressive for desktop use and movie watching

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the MBP minileds are by all accounts great which makes the Studio Display head scratching

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what if they made the panels bigger, except the extra pixels aren't usable by the OS or anything, they just exist so every (time period) the entire display gets moved 10 pixels to the left then ten pixels down, then ten pixels to the right and so forth.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the alienware qd-oled is overprovisioned as you described

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Work has issued me with a laptop (previously we had desktop machines that we remoted to from whatever home computer we wanted). The laptop comes with a USB docking station with display connections on it.

I have two monitors connected to my home PC. I'm thinking that what I want to do is have one monitor that's still permanently connected to the home PC, and one that I can switch between the two. I can connect to the monitor I want to share using a displayport cable from both PCs (the home PC via the graphics card, the laptop via the docking station).

I don't want to be using the controls on the monitor itself to do the switch though, that seems like a pain in the arse. So I was thinking of buying something like this so I can switch between the two computers by just pressing a button. Has anyone else tried doing this and does it work well for you?

e: I ended up buying a different one that includes support for USB devices as well.

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 9, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CoolCab posted:

what if they made the panels bigger, except the extra pixels aren't usable by the OS or anything, they just exist so every (time period) the entire display gets moved 10 pixels to the left then ten pixels down, then ten pixels to the right and so forth.
WearOS watches used to do this, but for some reason stopped. I'm guessing complaints about the watch face being off center.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hammerite posted:

Work has issued me with a laptop (previously we had desktop machines that we remoted to from whatever home computer we wanted). The laptop comes with a USB docking station with display connections on it.

I have two monitors connected to my home PC. I'm thinking that what I want to do is have one monitor that's still permanently connected to the home PC, and one that I can switch between the two. I can connect to the monitor I want to share using a displayport cable from both PCs (the home PC via the graphics card, the laptop via the docking station).

I don't want to be using the controls on the monitor itself to do the switch though, that seems like a pain in the arse. So I was thinking of buying something like this so I can switch between the two computers by just pressing a button. Has anyone else tried doing this and does it work well for you?

e: I ended up buying a different one that includes support for USB devices as well.
FWIW, I have 3 matching monitors. Left is only connected to home PC, middle and right are connected to home PC and work laptop. They autoswitch between DP and HDMI if one of the signals is off, which is nice, but also I lose some manual control during the work day since the buttons are all on the back of the monitor, which maybe isn't the worst since I'm supposed to be working anyway.

If your switching control is on the front, I would've just used the monitor, but the external switcher should be nice.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I want to get my sister a new monitor for her birthday. She's got an M1 Mac she would be using with it and works as a professional photographer. I'm thinking something around 30-32" would suit her needs. Any recommendations?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

fletcher posted:

I want to get my sister a new monitor for her birthday. She's got an M1 Mac she would be using with it and works as a professional photographer. I'm thinking something around 30-32" would suit her needs. Any recommendations?

If you got the dough: https://www.apple.com/ca/pro-display-xdr/

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I can see the $7k for the monitor, kinda, but it’s Peak Apple to charge $250 for the not included VESA mount

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
whatever you get you'll need as close to perfect colour repro as you can get and probably more resolution ideally. a 4k/60Hz with one of those (expensive) colour calibration precertification checks is where I would look. not going to be cheap (I'd bet the listed pro display does something like this), nothing useful for productivity is.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

fletcher posted:

Seriously now, I personally believe that the best course of action would be to ask your sister, she would know what kind of monitor she needs. No, it won't be a surprise, but you're (seems like) both adults and it doesn't have to be. For a professional photographer I wouldn't go with M32U or whatever people itt like nowadays. The Apple one is holy-hell expensive and probably there are alternatives, but the best person to tell you what she needs is your sister.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm changing jobs and losing the dual HP z30i monitors I've been using at home for years. I'll need to replace them, and was wondering if a single ultra wide would be better than two standard? I'm trying to keep it all $500 or less. Gaming not really a concern. Main uses are MS office stuff, light CAD, pdf editing, and streaming Netflix etc.

The two z30's are over kill on size but they were free so I wasn't going to complain.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Volguus posted:

Seriously now, I personally believe that the best course of action would be to ask your sister, she would know what kind of monitor she needs. No, it won't be a surprise, but you're (seems like) both adults and it doesn't have to be. For a professional photographer I wouldn't go with M32U or whatever people itt like nowadays. The Apple one is holy-hell expensive and probably there are alternatives, but the best person to tell you what she needs is your sister.

Yeah, but then she won't let me splurge on a nice one! $7k might be a little extreme though :lol:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

fletcher posted:

Yeah, but then she won't let me splurge on a nice one! $7k might be a little extreme though :lol:

Well you don't have to tell her it's for a gift! Just ask her her opinions on monitors out of curiosity.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

brugroffil posted:

I'm changing jobs and losing the dual HP z30i monitors I've been using at home for years. I'll need to replace them, and was wondering if a single ultra wide would be better than two standard? I'm trying to keep it all $500 or less. Gaming not really a concern. Main uses are MS office stuff, light CAD, pdf editing, and streaming Netflix etc.

The two z30's are over kill on size but they were free so I wasn't going to complain.
I've never used an ultrawide for an extended period so I'm biased, but 2x always seemed more useful to me unless you really like ultrawide gaming and/or watching movies (which you should be doing on your 65"+ TV anyway :v:)

Per your budget, you can get 2x HP X27q from Amazon for $250 each.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Josh Lyman posted:

FWIW, I have 3 matching monitors. Left is only connected to home PC, middle and right are connected to home PC and work laptop. They autoswitch between DP and HDMI if one of the signals is off, which is nice, but also I lose some manual control during the work day since the buttons are all on the back of the monitor, which maybe isn't the worst since I'm supposed to be working anyway.

If your switching control is on the front, I would've just used the monitor, but the external switcher should be nice.

The monitor I'm going to be switching is a Dell on loan from work. it's not a single button to switch, it's a group of crappy buttons that brings up an on-screen menu you have to navigate. So it would be several button presses each switch, on buttons that are not great quality. A single-push switch button is what I need.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
You could use a script: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/control_my_monitor.html

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’m going to be building a new PC and upgrading my monitor setup for teleworking 3 days a week. I just ordered a 3080 which will be my first true high end video card. My work computer is a piece of junk Dell 7389 ultrabook with an intel HD Graphics 620. If I get a fancy 4K gaming monitor is it just going to be pure suffering trying to use it as an external monitor for the laptop? In theory I can port over a lot of the work to my home computer but only the stuff that doesn’t require vpn and remote connections to internal resources. Essentially I’m trying to figure out if I should go with a two monitor setup with a nice 4k ultra wide and less nice “work” monitor, or dual 27” or 32” nice monitors, and hope that the work PC is usable. I’m near a micro center so I thought I’d bring my work pc and see how it does to test things. I haven’t tried to get anything fancy in monitors ever, really, so any input is nice.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Velius posted:

If I get a fancy 4K gaming monitor is it just going to be pure suffering trying to use it as an external monitor for the laptop?
No, you might have to get an adapter but it will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Anyone order the Alienware qd-oled in the last couple weeks and have to ship already? It looks like some people on Reddit have had orders delivered in a couple days while March order is still unshipped. I wonder if it's worth re-ordering and just canceling the order that ships last.