Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

theironjef posted:

Yeah, like once. After that it just becomes an assumed part of the story of optimal characters going forward. All "Yeah, much like most paladins I took a warlock dip because I uhhhh something fey patron something something dedicated warrior."

Right. Like most charop-based complexity it's only fun once per character and only challenging once per guide written. Not worth sacrificing more important design principles for, etc, and then we're right back to "yeah core+1 is looking pretty good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Andrast posted:

I am the target audience for splat bloat.

give me the billion character options

Same

CitizenKeen posted:

PHB + 1 is traditionally a character limit, not a campaign limit. So Alice can play with PHB + Tome of the Blade Wizards and Bob can play with PHB + The Underhanded Petmaster's Handbook.

Definitely the sensible way to go

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If people learn nothing else from Into the Odd, Troika!, and the like, they should learn that character options are worldbuilding.

True, there was a great set of posts on an OSR blog(I'll dig up links later) about making a giant chart of various classes(ranging from basic stuff like Fighter to weird esoteric stuff like being a Crab Man) from a range of different sources, with the idea that you'd roll X number of times and the resulting choices would be the default selection of classes for that campaign, and then using that selection to figure out what sort of setting it is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Same

Definitely the sensible way to go

True, there was a great set of posts on an OSR blog(I'll dig up links later) about making a giant chart of various classes(ranging from basic stuff like Fighter to weird esoteric stuff like being a Crab Man) from a range of different sources, with the idea that you'd roll X number of times and the resulting choices would be the default selection of classes for that campaign, and then using that selection to figure out what sort of setting it is

Found it, The OSR Class Shaker, first article introduces the concept, while the second article expands the idea further

Been meaning to make my own version of the chart stuffed to the brim with as many classes as (in)humanly possible

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ah, so FFV Fiesta but TTRPG. Sounds fun!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Andrast posted:

If you don't know the slang this post becomes something frightening to see in the light of day.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Andrast posted:

give me the billion character options

Honestly I'd at least be morbidly curious to see what D&D would look like if it were just as sprawling and huge but had M:TG's curated ban list and exhaustive thousands-of-pages errata and rulings documentation.

Jimbozig's right in that the existence of bad design doesn't mean good design is impossible, I just don't think that outside of the two extreme ends of "self-motivated perfectionist auteur" and "megacorp with infinite resources to throw at the problem and a strong financial incentive to do so" there are many people both willing and able to balance really large, really complex games.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 7, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Honestly I'd at least be morbidly curious to see what D&D would look like if it were just as sprawling and huge but had M:TG's curated ban list and exhaustive thousands-of-pages errata and rulings documentation.

Jimbozig's right in that the existence of bad design doesn't mean good design is impossible, I just don't think that outside of the two extreme ends of "self-motivated perfectionist auteur" and "megacorp with infinite resources to throw at the problem and a strong financial incentive to do so" there are many people both willing and able to balance really large, really complex games.

The Tier System that was developed for 3.5 leans in that direction, at least if you follow up with some of the suggestions I've seen about banning any classes that are in the top two tiers(though some of them can be made more balanced surprisingly easily with just a few tweaks) or the bottommost tier and only allow classes from Tiers 3 and 4(and one or two of the better Tier 5 classes, particularly if you don't mind tweaking them too)

Of course you'd still be playing 3.5 so there would still be plenty of problems but it would be a little more workable

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I feel like I would enjoy playing 'Pathfinder 1e but literally everything in the online SRD is fair game, as long as we all agree to a single tier'. Tier 3/4 makes the most sense.

Make it a gestalt game for maximum gonzo. Yeah dude I am totally playing a Spheres of Might + Vizier, lemme look up how my wacky different powers interact in my 20 pages of notes because none of these rules are common to any other characters.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It is kind of fascinating how 3.5e D&D spawned numerous play variants like E6/E7/E8, where characters stop leveling up at X level and get extra feats after that, or gestalt play, where characters level two classes simultaneously. They're all kind of indicative of 3e's peculiar issues around the martial/caster class imbalances and various ways people try to address them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I still like Monte Cook's take on 3.0/3.5 class rebalancing in Arcana Evolved. I know that name is treated as the Anti-Christ of game design in this forum by many, but I still think that AE's classes work.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I still like Monte Cook's take on 3.0/3.5 class rebalancing in Arcana Evolved. I know that name is treated as the Anti-Christ of game design in this forum by many, but I still think that AE's classes work.

It is? He's just a boring dude. There's way worse designers than ol' "This planet is full of wizards but you can't call them wizards!" guy.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

PerniciousKnid posted:

What about using the minute hand of a clock instead of dice? "You swing your sword, it's... 9:01, you drop the sword and get run through."

Late response but I've run some very off the cuff games using the second hand modulo 20 as a source of "randomness". It's all fun and games until people realize what you're doing and start trying to time their actions

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Monte Cook's name is far from mud, he's just kinda...mediocre at things and mostly just comes to properties or ideas after these ideas have been circulated for a minute and had their ideas integrated in other or better ways y'know? The Cypher system is alright for what it is, it's need it's got an option for kids for a more structured play for little ones, but that doesn't mean it's not a d20 system with some Fate bolted on with those mechanics internally monetized like a freemium service. When it comes to something like Invisible Sun I think we were more just making fun of the idea and the execution more than the man himself. He's a reliable worker, he gets stuff done and he wouldn't have the clout he does in the industry if he didn't, but he's also an inveterate promoter and some of his games are frankly either just silly or bad. But also at least he actually has ideas and you can look at his works to figure out just what the hell is going on without feeling like you're reading healthcare law.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Besides, Monte Cook's problem has always been that he keeps talking about how he needs to update his game design for modern standards but keeps releasing games that are still fundamentally rooted in 3e game design. Arcana Unearthed/Evolved are 3e products, so that isn't a problem.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
MC isn’t great at mechanical design but is terrible for overhyping creativity in cases where it’s actually mediocre. The Invisible Sun secrets were one of the worst examples.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GetDunked posted:

Late response but I've run some very off the cuff games using the second hand modulo 20 as a source of "randomness". It's all fun and games until people realize what you're doing and start trying to time their actions
I'm now thinking of a stopwatch as less a randomiser and more a mechanic itself? Start stopwatch, then stop stopwatch, the higher you get the better but if you go over your skill it's a failure.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Besides, Monte Cook's problem has always been that he keeps talking about how he needs to update his game design for modern standards but keeps releasing games that are still fundamentally rooted in 3e game design. Arcana Unearthed/Evolved are 3e products, so that isn't a problem.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I mean, he is kind of an anti-Christ if you want to torture the metaphor enough, in that there are people who are trying to move beyond the old 3e problems, and he says that he's one of them but actually isn't. Not in an actively deceptive or malicious way, just in that sort of 3e delusional way where you said that you were a GM who lets people take their own initiative and find the adventure, show up with a premade module, and just flail around for a couple of nowhere sessions while the PCs try to find the adventure with no help from you. You know that they're good words to say, you just have no idea how to make them mean something.

Like, the Vector, the fighter guy from The Strange, his dimension-hopping game, puts down in the description "they are often natural leaders, because vectors are not simple brutes but driven, motivated individuals who figure out what they want and go and get it."

Oh, okay, so when I level up in this class I can pick some fighting maneuvers or some other things that will... help me motivate and lead people? Help me act in pursuit of my personal goals?

Nope! Those are good words to say, but all you get from leveling up is combat maneuvers and resilience, you simple brute. (And if you want to take the Leads focus? Oops, all intellect pool!)

If you need me I'll be over here playing my Grim World Battlemaster, starting the game with the ability to count up Gambit points whenever anybody in the party takes damage and freely spending them to make anyone the next step in my cunning plan.

You know, like a leader does.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 8, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Splicer posted:

I'm now thinking of a stopwatch as less a randomiser and more a mechanic itself? Start stopwatch, then stop stopwatch, the higher you get the better but if you go over your skill it's a failure.

C'mon down! You're the next player on The Dice is Right!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

He didn't do a good job at all though.

Magister is "more powerful wizard with more flexible casting." Greenbond, too. A bit better balance in the spells themselves, maybe? But when you pelt giant fuckoff flex-element d8 fireballs that don't give a target a save, it's questionable. Oh and the feats that let you target Intelligence for saves, those are classy.

Oathsworn? Worse monk with robot poo poo.

Witch? Really awful partial caster with a lovely core mechanic.

Mageblade? Another bad partial caster with hideous saves.

Akashic? Cool concept! But it's a worse Rogue, mostly.

It's absolutely, and in no sense, better balanced.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea all of Cook's 'redesigns' were just 'core class, but worse with a useless gimmick taped to it to 'make up' for the worseness'

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

All I remember about Arcana Unearthed was making a Mageblade and feeling like I had to burn my first-level feat on something that gave me the money to start with a masterwork weapon, so I could start with an athame I could actually keep and enhance. I'm not sure d20 ever figured out how to make a "cool signature weapon you won't have to throw away later to stay optimal" class work.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

All I remember about Arcana Unearthed was making a Mageblade and feeling like I had to burn my first-level feat on something that gave me the money to start with a masterwork weapon, so I could start with an athame I could actually keep and enhance. I'm not sure d20 ever figured out how to make a "cool signature weapon you won't have to throw away later to stay optimal" class work.

3.x Oriental Adventures had a samurai class that started with a katana and could take it to a shrine every level or so to pour money on it, which would then upgrade it to correct for whatever level the samurai was.

It sucked though because besides the sword, the class was fighter with feats on third level instead of every other level. And the sword thing was based on character level so if you wanted it you could just go Samurai 1 then jump to whatever and have an on-level magic sword forever. Even then the point of the game was finding magic gear so who cared? It basically served as a guarantee that the DM could ignore putting treasure in dungeons for you specifically.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GetDunked posted:

I know LIFTS: Powered by your ABpocalypse uses the stopwatch as a randomiser (somewhat).

quote:

The Muscle Master will time on a stopwatch one player as they
complete 10 reps of an exercise as fast as possible. Use the
milliseconds on the clock to generate each entry.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Antivehicular posted:

4E Transfer Enchantment - spend 100 gold to transfer the enhancement level, enchantment, or both from one weapon to another.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

A lot of people already replied to this, but I'll throw in my feelings, too. I'm also of the mind that Monte isn't some great evil, he's just a guy who could leverage his 3e designer cred to spin off into other high-production projects with good marketing behind them. As far as actually designing games goes, he doesn't seem to engage much with cutting edge stuff, but clearly he doesn't have to. There's always something a bit tin-eared about his design choices, like he's aware of some issues in games he's developed but he doesn't fully comprehend the scope of the issue or like what's needed to address things. Or he just completely misses the point on some stuff, like with Monte Cookie's World of Darkness.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I mean, Cooks biggest sin is being mediocre with does not really qualify as great evil of tabletop. But as far as I know he never said something nasty, and he pays his contributors, so I really do not mind him making his great looking but mediocre games.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

theironjef posted:

3.x Oriental Adventures had a samurai class that started with a katana and could take it to a shrine every level or so to pour money on it, which would then upgrade it to correct for whatever level the samurai was.

It sucked though because besides the sword, the class was fighter with feats on third level instead of every other level. And the sword thing was based on character level so if you wanted it you could just go Samurai 1 then jump to whatever and have an on-level magic sword forever. Even then the point of the game was finding magic gear so who cared? It basically served as a guarantee that the DM could ignore putting treasure in dungeons for you specifically.
The best version of this was probably the Ancestral Relic feat in the Book of Exalted Deeds, where you got a special heirloom that would keep getting more powerful if you keep sacrificing money/items to it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Monte is just disappointing.

Mearls is the cackling enemy of all that is good and pure and actually designed.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

theironjef posted:

It also got more and better skills, which sounds neat but doesn’t make up for the feat thing, especially since your “fighter feats” were limited to a list of just things your clan style did iirc

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I have it on good authority he's lun-ey

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I must be in gamer groups from another reality than the ones that post here. I've tried running FATE-based and PbTA as well as 4e and 5e, but gotten no traction. Arcana Evolved, Weapons of the Gods, d20 7th Sea, Blue Planet, and even Kuro and Earthdawn have been a lot more popular.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I must be in gamer groups from another reality than the ones that post here. I've tried running FATE-based and PbTA as well as 4e and 5e, but gotten no traction. Arcana Evolved, Weapons of the Gods, d20 7th Sea, Blue Planet, and even Kuro and Earthdawn have been a lot more popular.

Rather than another reality, that just sounds like from another generation. Those games are all from a very small time window. Aside from Blue Planet, which was from 1997 those were all new or newly republished in 2005.

So either you're posting through a time hole from back when these forums were also super popular, or your group got into (non-D&D) RPGs in 2005 and their tastes ossified nearly instantly.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

The best version of this was probably the Ancestral Relic feat in the Book of Exalted Deeds, where you got a special heirloom that would keep getting more powerful if you keep sacrificing money/items to it.

BoED wasn’t the one with vow of poverty was it? A friend ran a 20th level short campaign and I gave up after getting 4-5 characters shot down for being too dumb of gimmicks/potentially too strong (almost everyone else was playing “cleric who can only really heal” and similar so I wasn’t trying to push power) so I looked into vow of poverty monk because then I didn’t have to think about items and apparently people were really aplit on whether it was wayy OP or just a nice way to not have to worry your DM wouldn’t give you a +dex item.

For those not in the know: vow of poverty was just “get no gold, but receive decent stat boosts and a couple specific feats every few levels.”

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Jimbozig posted:

Rather than another reality, that just sounds like from another generation. Those games are all from a very small time window. Aside from Blue Planet, which was from 1997 those were all new or newly republished in 2005.

So either you're posting through a time hole from back when these forums were also super popular, or your group got into (non-D&D) RPGs in 2005 and their tastes ossified nearly instantly.

I started gaming with some of this group in 1978 and the newest members (including DMs) joined in 2019.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Chakan posted:

BoED wasn’t the one with vow of poverty was it? A friend ran a 20th level short campaign and I gave up after getting 4-5 characters shot down for being too dumb of gimmicks/potentially too strong (almost everyone else was playing “cleric who can only really heal” and similar so I wasn’t trying to push power) so I looked into vow of poverty monk because then I didn’t have to think about items and apparently people were really aplit on whether it was wayy OP or just a nice way to not have to worry your DM wouldn’t give you a +dex item.

For those not in the know: vow of poverty was just “get no gold, but receive decent stat boosts and a couple specific feats every few levels.”
Vow of Poverty is a pretty infamously underpowered trap option compared to just getting normal loot.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Terrible Opinions posted:

Vow of Poverty is a pretty infamously underpowered trap option compared to just getting normal loot.
And also one that grogs constantly railed against because look how many powers you get, as a filthy martial, it must be OP

Thinking back to 3.X design, I LOVED what 3.5’s Regional feats for FR/OA represented, thought it was a cool design space, and also knew instantly the implementation was pure trash. Feats that help bring out the flavor of where your character’s from (like every adult in X region being in the militia, so even a wizard can use 2-3 good weapons and gets +2 spot), while being intentionally “stronger” than a normal feat, that’s cool. Can only take at 1st level, uhhh your options are already real low, isn’t this de-incentivizing taking one…?

Oh good, there’s no balance at all, delightful. One gives you 5 fire resistance, another gives a bonus to spell save DC & spell penetration. A lot are those “+2 to two specific skills”, but instead it’s THREE skills!!! One is “Toughness, but +5 hp instead” oooh game breaking!

Should have just been a bonus feat in whatever campaign world, and stuck closer to flavorful that being another way to min max. :(

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Which made it an existential threat to some campaigns, or at least the campaign some players and DMs were definitely going to have at some point.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

It seems like a concept that obviously needs a GM tool for revising based on the campaign loot level.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah it was only good if your DM was deliberately giving you no loot, which surprise surprise hurt martials more than casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I played a Vow of Poverty Monk and had a great time with it, especially having to work with a Cleric from a god of wealth.