Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Finished Season 2 and......yeah, this probably should have stayed as a one-and-done. There were some interesting ideas, but the season never quite comes together, there are a couple of diverging storylines that don't really seem to go anywhere, like I'm not even entirely sure why Alan's storyline was part of the season (don't get me wrong - it was a really neat idea, it just doesn't get baked fully in the time they give it), and it seemed to detract from fully executing Nadia's story, and Nadia's interactions with basically everyone other than Ruth seem....less authentic this time around. I dunno.

Lyonne remains really fantastic but the writing kind of let her down this time around. Maybe they can close things off a bit better with a third season but it wouldn't surprise me to see this be one of Netflix's infamous second season cancelations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I thought this season was great personally

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm 2 in and I'm not feeling it. I think it's a case of "this isn't what I signed up for" which is probably my own fault for not knowing what direction the show was going.

In theory, I'm down for big change in status quo for a show and how it works, but often I'm just not on board with the change. I signed up for a Groundhog's Day not a time travelling one way Freaky Friday!

Small complaint, but it's partly why I'm not feeling it. I don't really care that she's John Malkoviching her mother .

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

Finished Season 2 and......yeah, this probably should have stayed as a one-and-done. There were some interesting ideas, but the season never quite comes together, there are a couple of diverging storylines that don't really seem to go anywhere, like I'm not even entirely sure why Alan's storyline was part of the season (don't get me wrong - it was a really neat idea, it just doesn't get baked fully in the time they give it), and it seemed to detract from fully executing Nadia's story, and Nadia's interactions with basically everyone other than Ruth seem....less authentic this time around. I dunno.

Lyonne remains really fantastic but the writing kind of let her down this time around. Maybe they can close things off a bit better with a third season but it wouldn't surprise me to see this be one of Netflix's infamous second season cancelations.

Yeah, I basically agree. It kind of felt like they had no real idea what they wanted to say with this season. They kind of cobbled together a theme about generational trauma and not getting hung up on the past, but kind of went nowhere with it. And they definitely had no idea what to do with Alan. I think they kind of use “Nadia is super weird and kooky” as a crutch to paper over plot inconsistencies.

I have no idea what Nadia actually planned to do with the Krugerrands - she didn’t particularly need the money herself, so was she going to give them back to her schizophrenic mother? Or her grandmother? I get that she wanted to fix the “Coney Island” problem in her past, but even within that it was unclear that the Krugerrands would help. What did she even think she was doing in the 1940s? She was upset when she realised that the bag’s contents were being cashed out, but didn’t she think the bag had the Krugerrands in them anyway? A lot of this is explained away with “oh, Nadine is so laid back and eccentric” so the writers can just manoeuvre her into positions and actions that they don’t actually have to justify with character motivation.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I’m a couple episodes in and I think I’m probably done. The first season started well, dragged hard in the middle and ended sort of middling. Probably should have been a 6 episode miniseries without this second season.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Echoing the sentiments here, this season seems nonsensical, unnecessary, and not even entertaining. It feels forced. Alan's plot is absolutely ridiculous. I've watched five episodes and I'm done.

Picking up four years later and having a completely new plot begin was not a good choice in my opinion. I wanted to see Nadia and Alan and their parallel selves navigate the aftermath of S1, but all of that was skipped.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 23, 2022

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I personally thought it was a really interesting way to portray dissasociative grief.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the idea that while Nadia and Alan could have just (second season) left things alone instead of engaging with the magic train, and accepted that things in the past happened and that they now had a stable future to look forward to, the obsessions that they develop with their Coney islands end up making them lost sight of what they gained in the time loops while endangering their own futures trying to fix it. Nadia is completely in denial right until things break, Alan learns to accept the inability to change things earlier than she does and then accepts the lack of closure after the talk with his grandmother, and the Hungarian artist and Cesare both have completely the right idea, to accept that it happened and just move on and not let it destroy them.

I also like the contrast in the finale episodes of both seasons where by the second season, after the first season has a recurring thing of her not being able to handle being reminded of her past, by the second season she is able to be on a train with all of the past versions of her family with no ill effects as she's finally learned to accept her Coney Island for what it is.

Also I love the moment at the beginning of the end of the second season where Alan goes to Maxine's apartment, enters the bathroom, and then looks up at the mirror just as the song plays, putting himself right at the start of the whole show as time collapses into itself. Also the sweet little thing of Nadia entrusting her friend to look after her baby self at the hospital, given their biggest sore spot was when she implied that she shouldn't adopt dogs because she'd be a bad mother. That was a cute way to resolve that arc.

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla
Really liked the second season. It didn’t maybe come together quite as nicely as the first one, and Alan’s story in particular would’ve been nice to see a bit more of (why didn’t they just make it 8 episodes again?), but I love that they again really went for it and made something quite unique.

I particularly loved that the characters immediately grasped the time travel concept and that the show trusted the viewers enough to not bore us with unnecessary exposition or having the characters go through some boring drawn out denial/discovery phase. Shows are always so much more enjoyable when the characters are at least as smart as a modern media savvy audience.

I feel like they upped the production values this season what with all the locations and period detail (hence only 7 episodes, I guess). The music was again fantastic and on point. But of course the real draw is just watching Natasha Lyonne do her schtick. I never tire of it. I want her to be the next Columbo.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I was bored out of my mind by this season. Even the moment to moment stuff wasn't good, which was the only real strong point of the first season imo

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I really enjoyed the show, but felt it was a better as a sum as it's parts rather than a cohesive whole.

I absolutely adored the non traditional approach to time travel. Nadia right from the get go ignores all the tropes about changing the future, she doesn't pretend to be anyone other than herself, and she just accepts it and decides to see where it goes.

Once she started to go on her quest to change her past was where the show sort of faltered for me. Her motivation for doing so wasn't exactly clear when she kept returning to her present friends and family - and it was obvious that nothing she was doing was actually changing anything everytime she came back to the present, and time itself was a closed loop.

Alan's story particularly felt like it didn't go anywhere. I liked that he called Nadia out on her inability to understand the dangers of time travel from a lifetime of movies - only to do it himself - and I dug that his time travel motivation was an infatuation with the time period and his grandmother's fling. It just felt a bit hollow because it didn't have a central mystery or tie into Nadia's main plot, other than being a prompt for him to accept his life for what it is... I guess.

Still, I guess the futility of it all worked in that they both were damaged people desperate for better lives. I guess I just didn't see that as much as we didn't get much time with either of them before the time travel stuff. (And I forget where season 1 ended, but thought they were in a better place.) The message being you have to accept your past and live with what happened is a good one, but it seemed a very long and roundabout way to get there.

I did enjoy the mindbendy time collapsing stuff of her bringing herself as a baby into the future. That was a trip, and I loved seeing how they depicted the different time eras time together and falling apart.

I'm guessing there's going to be a third season, and I'm curious to see where they go from here, especially if they have another, new engaging SciFi / mystery hook to base it off.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Just finished watching both seasons of this show, hope there's a third still even if 2 was a step-down. Agreed that it really could have benefitted from an extra episode for pacing but I feel like the writers probably would have squandered it, considering they had so long to write the second season in the first place.

The_Doctor posted:

And they’re filming already judging by her hair.

https://twitter.com/nlyonne/status/1138569464608202752

Does anyone know how much survived from the original scripts from 2019? It feels like either they must have undergone a total rewrite at some point or just dusted off the old drafts and only added a couple of years to everyone's age. I wish it had polished up better with the extra time from COVID, but I'm sure the cast and crew weren't ruminating on what they could do for the show the entire hiatus.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that at the start of the season it's clear the characters are at least learning from season 1 - Nadia is clearly off most of the drugs (or at least not relying on them as heavily), even only chewing cigarettes instead of smoking them, and the only drugs she does are the ones her mother already did in those moments in her past because of the closed loop thing and Alan is actually seeing people casually, and not taking it too personally when things don't work out so he's obviously a lot more confident.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I really wanted to like S2 but Nadia really was being far too selfish & money-driven. What started as an opportunity to reflect and explore ideas and concepts of family and self amid some great period set pieces turned into a lovely scheme.

It undid her character growth from S1 where she leaned to look out for others and care. Instead she regressed and cared only about herself. To the point the world was broken.

I did enjoy Nadia’s initial laissez-faire attitude at the start. I wish she had taken her friends with her on the train. Or at least Alan.

The final send-off was disappointing.

Where would you like S3 to go?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

d0grent posted:

I was bored out of my mind by this season. Even the moment to moment stuff wasn't good, which was the only real strong point of the first season imo

to put it succinctly, S2 had no "sweet birthday bay-bee!"

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

precision posted:

to put it succinctly, S2 had no "sweet birthday bay-bee!"

It most certainly did

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I liked the new season, but it definitely didn't hit the highs of the first season.

I think the new idea was really good, and it was interesting to follow the concept of trying to fix your own past, only to find out that you can't escape the things that were done.

It got a little messy, and I felt like Alan wasn't well used this season. But it had some good moments as well, and Nadia is a great character. I would have loved if that last scene included her seeing the other women who came before her, in the mirror. But I still enjoyed the creativity, and especially how nuts it all got near the end.

So I'd say that this was not a needed continuation of the series, but the charms of it made it a mostly enjoyable watch anyway.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone who wants to see this season done better should check out Undone season 2, because it's almost the exact same concept and theme.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Anyone who wants to see this season done better should check out Undone season 2, because it's almost the exact same concept and theme.

As someone who binged both second seasons back-to-back in a single day, this is absolutely true

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
now let's get Natasha Lyonne cast in Undone S3

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We somehow managed to binge the whole season last night. Agreed it doesn't hold up to S1, but Natasha Lyonne remains a doll and the rest of the cast is still fun.

The sense of time and place was the standout to me. Having lived in NYC I like that it's actually filmed there where like 90% of modern stuff films in Toronto pretending to be New York. But then, unlike season 1 we talked over it half the time instead of playing close attention. My wife is a russian who mostly grew up in Queens, and the story inspired her to tell a lot of secondhand stories about her parents experiencing going from the rural USSR to New York in the 80s. So maybe my enjoyment was mostly personal.

I'd still be onboard for an S3 if they can get a good script and concept. The cast and characters are fun even though if fell off a bit.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Respect them ignoring the end of season 1 teaser because they came up with something else they would rather do. It was ok. Make next season Columbo.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Andrew_1985 posted:

I really wanted to like S2 but Nadia really was being far too selfish & money-driven. What started as an opportunity to reflect and explore ideas and concepts of family and self amid some great period set pieces turned into a lovely scheme.

The Krugerands weren't about money. Nadia doesn't need money. It was about what they represented. It was her Coney Island, like the man said. They represented a breaking of the cycle. She was being selfish for sure, but her motivation wasn't greed.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
We call our orange cat baby so my husband gets angry at me when I call him "Sweet Birthday baby" oh well I just call him that when my husband isn't around and when he is I make him chase the laser pointer.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Got half way through and just couldn’t finish it. Went on YouTube and watched a season recap. Can’t say that it seemed like I missed out on much.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Astro7x posted:

Can’t say that it seemed like I missed out on much.

mlyp

like if you didn't like the season then fine, but post something interesting or funny about why not, not just an opinion with nothing backing it up; that's not interesting to anyone

before you go quoting my post earlier on this page and calling me a hyprocrite, i was referencing a meme post from the got thread so it's funny and therefore okay :colbert:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 27, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm honestly surprised to see the hate in this thread. I enjoyed the season, it wasn't as good as season 1 but I knew they couldn't recapture the same lightning in a bottle and wasn't expecting them to. I thought the time travel body swap conceit was interesting, and watching Nadia slowly fall apart while trying to maintain her façade was heartbreaking at times. Alan was definitely superfluous though, which is a shame. Overall solid B+, please do not make a third season.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Overall solid B+, please do not make a third season.

There probably will be: Natasha Lyonne stated from the start that she had three seasons in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This season was just such a nothing burger. S1 felt fresh and interesting - every episode left you wanting more. This was just a non-interesting mud race to the finish. They didn't really do anything interesting with the time travel - she was just Quantum Leap'in but nothing really changed minus the insane last episode which actually WAS pretty cool but everything before it - boring.