Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/BadWolfArchives/status/1523631084725932032?t=LmDcmgn1GKazIqnKtVIVGQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They better let him use his Scottish accent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

So Rusty did drop the Hugh Grant thing, right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
So do we just go back through the rumors and try to figure out which ones, in retrospect, sound like RTD loving with us now?

I have to say, I respect the hell out of him for doing the exact same dumb thing with that power that I would.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Wil we get even a split second of the next doctor in jodies finale? That's what I want to know.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Updog Scully posted:

Just like Eccleston and Tennant before him, Gatwa's performed Shakespeare before taking the role.

Is there a British actor who hasn't?

"Don't blame us for that James Corden Story. That wasn't us. gently caress that guy."

Confusedslight posted:

Wil we get even a split second of the next doctor in jodies finale? That's what I want to know.

Don't we always?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 9, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

thrawn527 posted:

"Don't blame us for that James Corden Story. That wasn't us. gently caress that guy.

They didn't use the full quote (emphasis mine):

RTD posted:

There's been a few false stories out there and false tales and we posted a few posts ourselves, a couple of misleading things and we're very pleased that kind of worked. Not James Corden, we didn't plant that one. I never saw that one coming frankly, and I love James Corden. I talked to him about it, but we're very pleased.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I was secretly hoping for Richard Ayoade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D3e7t_wg1c

And to be fair I reckon that wild as gently caress "Tennant is coming back as 14" rumour was pretty good as well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I love James Corden

I'm afraid I now hate RTD. I get in the industry you need to say you like everyone but some things are too far.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What's wrong with James Corden?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
good name for the horror movie biopic they'll make after he is finally defeated

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Infinitum posted:

From what I can tell, he's just the kind of celebrity that has vastly outgrown his actual level of talent and charisma. He's just fine as the level of actor that gets cast in decently-popular musicals and Doctor Who episodes (remember those halcyon days when we liked him in The Lodger?), but as an actual personality he's just not a very charming person and is actually kind of annoying, and unfortunately he's mostly been a talk show host for the past seven years, so we've been subjected to that.

He's an example of the Peter Principle when applied to entertainment. Which, admittedly, you don't see all too often.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Corden’s apparently deeply unpleasant to a lot of people he considers beneath him, including staff, crew, writers, servers, etc. There was a Gavin & Stacey reunion a couple of years back that almost didn’t happen because they had trouble getting enough people willing to work on it.

Also he turned up to a WGA meeting and advocated for his own writers to get paid at lower rates.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You can't hate Rusty for being nice to him, though. Insulting the saccharine showbiz guy whose job it is to throw softball questions to celebrities isn't usually a good move for a producer who's trying to grow an intellectual property and, in all probability, find some new sources to co-fund it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, yes, James Corden's face is probably in the dictionary next to "insufferable" and nobody in on earth will be surprised when a bunch of hideous skeletons come tumbling out of his closet, but for now, he presumably plays an important role for actors who wish to increase their profile, so it's asking a bit much to think that a showrunner, even one with clout, is going to suddenly say "gently caress that guy!" out of the blue, lol

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Infinitum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIBUWqSTp90

There was also that time he went to a Writers Guild meeting and advocated for creating a new writers position below the current entry level for his own late night show, with a lower minimum pay rate under the guise of "finding new talent".

quote:

I saw James Cordon at a supermarket in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/sebpatrick/status/919500140993482753

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Bicyclops posted:

Like, yes, James Corden's face is probably in the dictionary next to "insufferable" and nobody in on earth will be surprised when a bunch of hideous skeletons come tumbling out of his closet, but for now, he presumably plays an important role for actors who wish to increase their profile, so it's asking a bit much to think that a showrunner, even one with clout, is going to suddenly say "gently caress that guy!" out of the blue, lol

I promise you, if I ever become famous, I will say "gently caress James Corden" as loudly and as often as possible. To his face, even, if the opportunity presents itself.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

It doesn't help that his version the Late Late Show feels very generic from his predecessor. I mean, listen, make your money, but it's not exactly setting the bar for comedy which comedy nerds have blessed as their space.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I promise you, if I ever become famous, I will say "gently caress James Corden" as loudly and as often as possible. To his face, even, if the opportunity presents itself.

Everyone has to choose their own way to be angry about a world with James Corden in it. Some people tweet, some vow to scream in his face. RTD will simply have to settle for writing an episode in which a rogue Time Lord named the Milquetoast who looks shockingly like James Corden taunts his underpaid writers, threatening them by saying he's going to sing the entire soundtrack to Les Miserables at them, until the Doctor shows up with Leela and this time, he just nods when she pulls out the poison darts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Anyway, Jodie’s finale will be 90 mins long.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Listening to more Doctor Who: Redacted and hearing "Who calls in 2022? Slide into my DMs like a normal person" is making me feel absolutely decrepit

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Apparently Chibnall had to scrap the original plans for Eve of the Daleks and rewrite it in a hurry due to the pandemic and budget cuts? I feel like this might have been mentioned already, but I completely missed it: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/apr/12/pandemic-nearly-made-me-quit-doctor-who-says-showrunner-chris-chibnall

quote:

A planned final trio of specials – culminating in the Doctor’s regeneration this autumn – faced production and budget pressures, forcing him to pare down Eve of the Daleks, which aired on new year’s day. He had to ditch the original idea and write a new script in a week, he said.

Considering that was his most liked episode here, maybe he should write all scripts in a week.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I write way better under pressure, so maybe he does too and never figured that out?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
RTD may write worse under no pressure but we'll never find out because he makes it for himself by procrastinating

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I write way better under pressure, so maybe he does too and never figured that out?

RTD seems to have had the same thing, at least some of the time.* Wasn't Midnight a rush job?

(*I gather RTD almost always wrote under pressure.)

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
I'm hoping that the Doctor moves back to more insular stories, I miss the goofiness of the show from the 80's every now and then they would have some interconnected story, but overall it was just fun, I also think it would be cool if they brought back more classic Who baddies, like Sul-tek or however he was spelled from the Pyramids of Mars. That is one of my favorite Baker episodes.

I also would like some more "Doctor-lite" episodes "Blink" being one of the best of those in my opinion

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sutekh

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Can't belive the Doctor from Doctor Who is going to do blackface. frucked up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

RTD may write worse under no pressure but we'll never find out because he makes it for himself by procrastinating

He's just basing his writing schedule on Douglas Adams.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Narsham posted:

RTD seems to have had the same thing, at least some of the time.* Wasn't Midnight a rush job?

(*I gather RTD almost always wrote under pressure.)

Four days, whilst puking his guts out due to a bad case of the flu.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I have never felt a deeper connection with another human being before in all my life.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I have never felt a deeper connection with another human being before in all my life.

God, :same:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dongicus posted:

Can't belive the Doctor from Doctor Who is going to do blackface. frucked up.

1966 posting itt (thankfully avoided though)

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
https://twitter.com/4SylvesterMcCoy/status/1523719205509492737?t=NEV67qNhRVHZAJH-5Z-MCg&s=19

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:3:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DWPoop/status/1523723581087428608

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Thank God. I zoned out halfway through his video on first watch focusing on his propeller head.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

He's never met Ncuti, but hes already a big fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/MaxKashevsky/status/1524013330725232642?t=0e_705-9HijXbDtqK-SHYw&s=19