Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Woah! Yes that is a different link and that's exactly what I needed. Thanks Ants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Guy Axlerod posted:

Some of the commands are just mindless, expect to look up the syntax every time. Consulting the documentation is not a bad thing.

I don't mind consulting documentation, I'm more looking for a cheat sheet of common commands so I don't have to go:

aws help
aws ecs help
aws ecs list-services help
aws ecs list-services --cluster [ARN]

"Oh drat, ok that wasn't the command I wanted."

aws ecs help

The Fool posted:

theres this?

but I'm not strong enough on aws to vouch for quality

really though, its just practice
do something with a tool everyday and it eventually becomes natural

Oh that is helpful actually. I've been using cloudshell this whole time, but I'll install the package and try it from there. Thanks!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
"I don't even know what TLS is or why it's important"

These loving devs man, I swear to god :bang:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

"I don't even know what TLS is or why it's important"

These loving devs man, I swear to god :bang:

There needs to be a bobby tables equivalent for this

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is there an easy way to install Xerox Workcentre printers with Windows Autopilot/Intune?

Xerox wants to sell me their Printix solution which seems like overkill for 50 employees and 3 printers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I, the moron in the title, am not sure what you'[re doing exactly, but you can deploy a printer via group policy and it works like 80% of the time.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dexter6 posted:

Is there an easy way to install Xerox Workcentre printers with Windows Autopilot/Intune?

Xerox wants to sell me their Printix solution which seems like overkill for 50 employees and 3 printers.

Xerox can die in a fire (YMMV based on your reseller), but Printix is great

What issues are you having with Intune?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

What issues are you having with Intune?
I literally don’t know how to use intune and have been doing everything by trial and error.

Does someone have an article that shows the simple declarative way to add a printer in Intune?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a rudimentary way to deploy printers based on their DNS names https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/configuration/device-restrictions-windows-10#printer, they will then go and grab the drivers they need from Windows Update.

If you want a nicer experience you can try Universal Print, assuming Xerox have some integration with that. I think the way it's licensed is a bit mad though.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Agreed. I was someplace where the execs were remote and they wanted to print and have their assistants pick it up at the office and Printix was great for that.

If anyone has any questions other than "why did the execs want to do that, how is that possibly efficient or useful or anything" please let me know.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nvrgrls posted:

If anyone has any questions
Wh

nvrgrls posted:

other than "why did the execs want to do that, how is that possibly efficient or useful or anything" please let me know.
Never mind

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I have been struggling with joining our Synology NAS to the local AD server (Windows Server 2019).
It keeps complaining about the wrong password, which is simply not correct.
I was in contact with Synology support, but it have sofar not been great.
Some Google-search points for NTLMv2 authenciation issues, but the solutions didn't really work for me.
The AD server have a very basic configuration and seems to have issues joining Linux machines to it.
Any suggestion where there is a decent guide?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

If you want a nicer experience you can try Universal Print, assuming Xerox have some integration with that. I think the way it's licensed is a bit mad though.

I should tell my sysadmin about this. Our print infrastructure has always been a total shitshow and I think some of the execs are still complaining about the shoddy printers on their floor at HQ because our GPO based solution has proven kind of temperamental ever since full WFH started.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Cardiac posted:

I have been struggling with joining our Synology NAS to the local AD server (Windows Server 2019).
It keeps complaining about the wrong password, which is simply not correct.
I was in contact with Synology support, but it have sofar not been great.
Some Google-search points for NTLMv2 authenciation issues, but the solutions didn't really work for me.
The AD server have a very basic configuration and seems to have issues joining Linux machines to it.
Any suggestion where there is a decent guide?

Wrong password sounds plausible for an auth protocol mismatch. Can you take a packet capture and see what the NAS is sending and receiving? Or check the system (?) logs on the AD server and see what is happening.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Happiness Commando posted:

Wrong password sounds plausible for an auth protocol mismatch. Can you take a packet capture and see what the NAS is sending and receiving? Or check the system (?) logs on the AD server and see what is happening.

I checked the system logs on the AD server and it appears to be an issue with the Kerberos ticketing system.
Which is kinda expected, since all other Linux machines have had similar issues where there is no support for the KDC ticket type.
As far as I understand it MS Server 2019 made certain encryption schemes no longer supported?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Anyone have a HIPAA compliance guideline that's easy for clients to understand? Something I can quickly quote or copy/paste from instead of having to explain every time?

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008
uhh, anything more specific than that? HIPAA compliance covers a very wide range depending on how an entity is covered. HIPAA compliance focuses on three types of controls: physical, administrative, and technical, but there is an almost infinite amount of nuance beyond that.

In my experience, a lot of smaller orgs will argue that they aren't HIPAA covered entities and aren't required to be HIPAA compliant (lol). Or that their IT department is responsible for compliance, and completely ignore physical and administrative controls.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/index.html is not terribly helpful, but is the "official" source of HIPAA.

In short, your clients will not find any of this easy to understand, which is why they should pay an expert to handle it for them. A lot of the technical controls around HIPAA are not inexpensive, specifically around SOC/SIEM, encryption, auditing, IR/DR planning, backup/recovery + testing, etc, which in my experience is why a lot of business will simply put their head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist.

edit: at my last MSP gig we had clients pay for a sub to HIPAA Secure Now, and charged them for us to walk through this with them, https://www.hipaasecurenow.com/
this was just the first step though, as this is really identifying the gaps in their compliance, from here you build out your plan of action and then put together projects going forward (clients also resisted this part, as they would hope just putting together policies/procedures would make them compliant). In some cases there was a real distrust that they were charging us to discover what else we needed to charge them for.

carlcarlson fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 1, 2022

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Customer: we need to be compliant. Please walk through this audit for us
Msp: OK we did the audit. Here's the gap analysis and the T&M contract for remediation
Customer: no pay! Only compliance!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Simply tell them to move to a business model that doesn't have to be HIPAA compliant and enjoy life more.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dealing with compliance issues within a smaller company was definitely a factor in me leaving. They thought it was solely the responsibility of the IT department and I was sick of trying to explain and get business buy-in for it to be a collaboration.

I think most small companies don't stand a chance understanding this stuff.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Yeah for sure. If you want to do it "right" you need to pay for the human resources to manage the whole rigamarole and it's just not worth it (TO ME) when you're below a certain size.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There are situations where you can "manage upwards" to an extent but compliance isn't it. As IT you take instruction from whoever the expert is (whether internal or a consultant) and turn the requirements into configurations. I also get bored very quickly of explaining that GDPR compliance isn't a product that IT can buy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agreed, but I'm talking about examples where they expect the handful of overworked IT people to also be the compliance experts.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Cardiac posted:

I checked the system logs on the AD server and it appears to be an issue with the Kerberos ticketing system.
Which is kinda expected, since all other Linux machines have had similar issues where there is no support for the KDC ticket type.
As far as I understand it MS Server 2019 made certain encryption schemes no longer supported?

Well, the issue resolved itself without me or synology support understanding why.
Why is joining non windows machines to an AD such a pain?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

carlcarlson posted:

uhh, anything more specific than that? HIPAA compliance covers a very wide range depending on how an entity is covered. HIPAA compliance focuses on three types of controls: physical, administrative, and technical, but there is an almost infinite amount of nuance beyond that.

In my experience, a lot of smaller orgs will argue that they aren't HIPAA covered entities and aren't required to be HIPAA compliant (lol). Or that their IT department is responsible for compliance, and completely ignore physical and administrative controls.

Happiness Commando posted:

Customer: we need to be compliant. Please walk through this audit for us
Msp: OK we did the audit. Here's the gap analysis and the T&M contract for remediation
Customer: no pay! Only compliance!

Yeah this, basically. Every once in a while I'll get a call from a client that just talked to their lawyer, or attended a business seminar, whatever, and they'll be suddenly up in a tizzy about HIPAA compliance. So I say the same things I always say: "HIPAA requires that you follow all possible best IT security practices, there is no cut and dried rulebook specifically written by them. The rules in IT change often so it is something that constantly needs to be verified and adjusted. I'd be happy to look over every one of your IT processes to determine any weak areas, but everything that I can currently control follows their guidelines" (CYA). They don't want to pay for HIPAA compliance, I think they're just looking for something to sign or print out and sign or to hang on the wall. As outside support I don't have the power to force them to do anything, only warn them. However if there's a good checklist that lets them know in black and white what they need to do, I can use it to help them both increase their security AND make myself some revenue instead of the routine of answering the same email over and over. Even better if it's straight from the HHS or other gov't entity. Even better if bullet pointed *sigh*.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008
AFAIK, the only "certificate" that "proves" HIPAA compliance is HITRUST certification, and if they aren't interested in paying for HIPAA compliance, lol at getting them to go through the HITRUST certification process.

At a broader level, HIPAA focuses on securing PHI and being able to provide care in the event you experience some kind of disaster. Did your servers get ransomed and now patients are dying because you can't treat them? Or are you a business that only tangentially has PHI? How a business is a HIPAA covered entity is probably the most important aspect of determining what to focus on for their HIPAA compliance.

HIPAA is written very generically, and does not focus on specific technologies, but a main focus is protecting PHI. So things like, named users (people are not allowed to share any credentials that could get them access to PHI), encryption at rest and in transit, MFA for anything that gets access to PHI (email, vpn, desktop, 3rd party apps, etc), and logging so that you can prove that your PHI was not accessed by someone that should not have had access.

If your work with these companies focuses exclusively on the technology of their business, and not the other HIPAA controls, that's what I would try to focus on. I would always try to get companies to work through where their PHI was, and plausible scenarios that could lead to a breach and therefore mandatory breach reporting, https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/breach-notification/index.html

It only takes a breach of 500 records with PHI to qualify for mandatory reporting, and what is considered PHI is extraordinarily broad. Like if you were oncologists and a list of 500 patient names were left on a copier and the cleaning crew walked off with the print out, that could be considered a breach.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Anyone here have anything to say about using zooms or teams for telephony WITH PHYSICAL HANDSETS like a polycom or something like that? Reliable/"Just Works"? I have to upgrade our phone system and I'm gonna have 2-3 people who will ask about this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

calling in to to dial in number usually just works for either service

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

your other option is to get teams pbx and teams phones and it's "fine" most of the time for simple configurations and reliable internet

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've put in 3CX at a few locations, it's easy to manage and cheap to run. It's not teams or zoom if those are deal breakers, but there is a fairly decent video conferencing piece

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Gorson posted:

Anyone have a HIPAA compliance guideline that's easy for clients to understand? Something I can quickly quote or copy/paste from instead of having to explain every time?

For me, the answer to this has always been "I'm going to do my best practices and they're probably compliant, but if your business requires compliance, you should hire a specialized consultant that can tell me exactly what needs to be changed. I am not an expert in that compliance field and will not certify that my work meets the ever changing landscape of compliance guidelines.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CloFan posted:

I've put in 3CX at a few locations, it's easy to manage and cheap to run. It's not teams or zoom if those are deal breakers, but there is a fairly decent video conferencing piece

Seconding this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Physical handsets are now second-class citizens on every platform that isn't something like a big Cisco or Mitel deployment. They work fine for calls but most vendors are fairly open about the fact that they won't sync DND status, aren't interested in making sure your personal phone book syncs down etc. Teams Phone probably gives the best experience in that regard but Microsoft are quite aggressive with their EOL policies and people who put really underpowered hardware in the devices (Poly :argh:) find that the phones won't run newer Android releases and so support gets dropped. Companies aren't used to buying telephone handsets every three years.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/microsoftteams/devices/teams-ip-phones

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

carlcarlson posted:

At a broader level, HIPAA focuses on securing PHI and being able to provide care in the event you experience some kind of disaster. Did your servers get ransomed and now patients are dying because you can't treat them?

A local hospital is dealing with a lawsuit contending that a ransomware attack is at least partially to blame for the death of an infant.

https://mynbc15.com/news/local/mobile-mother-suing-springhill-medical-center-over-newborns-death-blames-cyberattack

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Physical handsets are now second-class citizens on every platform that isn't something like a big Cisco or Mitel deployment. They work fine for calls but most vendors are fairly open about the fact that they won't sync DND status, aren't interested in making sure your personal phone book syncs down etc. Teams Phone probably gives the best experience in that regard but Microsoft are quite aggressive with their EOL policies and people who put really underpowered hardware in the devices (Poly :argh:) find that the phones won't run newer Android releases and so support gets dropped. Companies aren't used to buying telephone handsets every three years.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/microsoftteams/devices/teams-ip-phones

Thank you!!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

your other option is to get teams pbx and teams phones and it's "fine" most of the time for simple configurations and reliable internet

yeah that's the plan I think

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have a Poly VVX 350 on my desk that is registered to Teams as a SIP phone (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/sip-gateway-configure) but it's a bare-bones experience. It rings when someone calls me, I can dial a number from it. There's no way of joining a meeting (other than calling in) and none of my contacts are there.

Depending on what people who insist on having handsets need, it might do the trick. The impression I get from Microsoft is that SIP Gateway is a feature that exists so you can use 300 desk phones that you already own as you migrate to Teams, rather than something you should buy as part of the transition.

In your situation where a handful of people want a phone, I'd go with Teams and if you have to spend $400 every three years upgrading each handset then who cares. You may want to work with a partner and get your calling service from a Operator Connect provider though rather than Microsoft direct, I think the support is going to be better using someone like Pure IP than having to deal with Microsoft when your telephones take a poo poo.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

yeah I've had a bunch of clients use calltower in the past so I'd probably do something like that

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Has Dell's networking division poo poo the bed, or are they dealing with heavy supply chain issues? All they seem to be able to deliver is a €40k data center switch, I just need a simple managed edge switch.

What's the goto brand for super good enough stuff? I need 24 gigabit copper ports, 4 10Gbit SFP+ uplinks and the ability to do tagged VLANs. Dual PSU not needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nobody can supply switches at the moment. Everything Aruba I try and buy is listed with an ETA of "lol we have no idea".

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 9, 2022