Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

RillAkBea posted:

Unfortunately for my 90s upbringing by scared middle class parents, one of the kids in my primary school did actually find some discarded drugs on the side of the road and tried some thinking they were candy. He got the full front page large font treatment in the local newspaper if I remember correctly.

I bet he just wanted to try drugs and said he thought they were candy under interrogation, just like 7th Grade Ok Comboomer circa 2002 got the stack of printed out JPEGs of kink.com hidden in his bedside table “from a kid in school who played a prank on me, I didn’t know what they were, Mom, I swear. He said it was Dilbert comics” and definitely not by clandestinely googling for pics of ladies getting tied up and spanked and printing them out on the family computer over several months, no sir.

Like, even the club drugs that are the most candylike aren’t really at all like candy. They’re very obviously pharmaceuticals. And obviously no kid is looking at a key bump in a baggie and going “oh snap, pixie stix!”

twelve year old sees doobie “is this a snickers bar?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Possibly, though this was the UK in the middle of the 90s rave era where drugs that look like candy were a part of the aesthetic.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

Possibly, though this was the UK in the middle of the 90s rave era where drugs that look like candy were a part of the aesthetic.

fair enough, but if HS me had ever been caught under the influence of anything I’d have probably lied through my teeth about my naïveté

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

RillAkBea posted:

Like that episode of Grange Hill where the kid thought LSD was strawberry flavoured and took a Swan dive off the roof.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Like that episode of Grange Hill where the kid thought LSD was strawberry flavoured and took a Swan dive off the roof.

I smoked weed a couple times and now I’m a satanist on death row for murder, true story

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I smoked weed a couple times and now I’m a satanist on death row for murder, true story

I stayed away from smoking heroin because I didn't want to sell my PS1:

https://youtu.be/un9MII-NbyM

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Guys lemme tell ya about cartoon acid.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The loving DARE officer told a classroom of 10 year olds that "Acid" would let you talk to Bugs Bunny in your bedroom and let me tell you that was not the dissuasive pitch he thought it was

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

The loving DARE officer told a classroom of 10 year olds that "Acid" would let you talk to Bugs Bunny in your bedroom and let me tell you that was not the dissuasive pitch he thought it was

not just Bugs my friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hz1UaEVyoo

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

RillAkBea posted:

Around this time my friend's dad found a tablet on his lawn and told us he'd sent it to the police for analysis and they had confirmed it was "drugs". He grilled us about it for ages and was sure it had been given to us by another friend he didn't like.

It was probably a dropped paracetamol.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

mind the walrus posted:

our UK equivalent was police and he came in with a suitcase of drugs and went "do any of you recognise any of these?" to blank faces, and then proceeded to very carefully explain the difference between regular weed and skunk weed.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Not a drugs thing, but when I was about 7 or 8, we had a deranged squaddie come in and tell us that in a war, our classroom would be turned into a communications centre and if we saw it, she'd have to kill us. I also remember a cowboy coming in to show us snakes, so I might have been delirious as a kid. Also one time a children's author with an eye patch and his wife made us pretend to be trees.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
That Rachel Lee Cook PSA really made we want to do heroin.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah why did they get a super hot chick to destroy a kitchen. It was hot.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I like that she did a follow up ad later dissing the War on Drugs

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah why did they get a super hot chick to destroy a kitchen. It was hot.

"Any questions?"

"...um, yeah, could you do that again?"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAHoxaphbEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXN6Vdr3g0

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
cake is a made up drug and has many disguises...

https://twitter.com/90sdecade/status/1120016273428111361?s=20&t=QLUz2WBrhX1DZ7Yi_Y2jIw

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
There were definetly shootings at the big mall in my hometown in Alaska, it was a real problem.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Wow, somehow I missed that she updated that PSA. Super cool of her to do that. If anything it just shows how the public perception on the War on Drugs has changed

Out of everything in this video it was the FBI Warning at the beginning that got me

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/kOO31qFmi9A

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

learnincurve posted:

our UK equivalent was police and he came in with a suitcase of drugs and went "do any of you recognise any of these?" to blank faces, and then proceeded to very carefully explain the difference between regular weed and skunk weed.

didn't someone here have a story about how a cop handed around 2 joints to a classroom so everyone knew what they looked like, and made it very clear that if he didn't get them back there'd be hell to pay. When he got them back there were 3.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

minato posted:

didn't someone here have a story about how a cop handed around 2 joints to a classroom so everyone knew what they looked like, and made it very clear that if he didn't get them back there'd be hell to pay. When he got them back there were 3.

This sounds like a ploy the D.A.R.E. cop would pull at every school just to make parents and the school go in an anti-drug panic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Super Dan posted:

There are definitely people who day trade cryptocurrencies.

This is probably the safest way.

RillAkBea posted:

Unfortunately for my 90s upbringing by scared middle class parents, one of the kids in my primary school did actually find some discarded drugs on the side of the road and tried some thinking they were candy. He got the full front page large font treatment in the local newspaper if I remember correctly.

This was always how it was framed but the kid who i knew who went to the hospital due to ingesting a drug, found in his home. It turned out to be one of his mom Mothers Little Helpers but it kinda spoiled the "look out for drugs in the wild, make sure you tell your parents if someone offers you drugs!" when its your parents. Similar story is a friend of mines wife is a cop and everyone has to do the anti Drug thing in school, and one kid said coke looked like the energy powder his dad takes before going to work. Like with most things people are scared of, its not from strangers, but outside the home.

RillAkBea posted:

If your children are listening to Utah Saints and Shamen on repeat, check their rooms for party drugs.

Ok Comboomer posted:

You could have been on one of the zillions of talk shows in the 90s! They loved to have on Satanists, or at least people who claimed to be satanists, and they were always "I did drugs and listened to heavy metal and Satan came to me and now I eat babies in the name of my Dark Lord!" and poo poo like that. No wonder boomers are so paranoid and just accepting of any BS claim, their brains rotted watching this all day when we were at school.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

minato posted:

All the stories I heard were the reverse. Two joints go out and zero or one come back.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

minato posted:

i heard the joints were labelled 1, 2 and 4

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

In my D.A.R.E. class the local cop passed around confiscated bowls instead of joints. IIRC we did in fact end up having to pass them to the left as they circulated.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

This was always how it was framed but the kid who i knew who went to the hospital due to ingesting a drug, found in his home. It turned out to be one of his mom Mothers Little Helpers but it kinda spoiled the "look out for drugs in the wild, make sure you tell your parents if someone offers you drugs!" when its your parents. Similar story is a friend of mines wife is a cop and everyone has to do the anti Drug thing in school, and one kid said coke looked like the energy powder his dad takes before going to work. Like with most things people are scared of, its not from strangers, but outside the home.

If your children are listening to Utah Saints and Shamen on repeat, check their rooms for party drugs.

You could have been on one of the zillions of talk shows in the 90s! They loved to have on Satanists, or at least people who claimed to be satanists, and they were always "I did drugs and listened to heavy metal and Satan came to me and now I eat babies in the name of my Dark Lord!" and poo poo like that. No wonder boomers are so paranoid and just accepting of any BS claim, their brains rotted watching this all day when we were at school.

https://youtu.be/KF5tYjDIjIs

I’m not having any luck finding the much more recent VCR Party episode where they actually met + spoke to Dark Lord Blood in the contemporary day. Dude’s still cool AF

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Meaty Ore posted:

In my D.A.R.E. class the local cop passed around confiscated bowls instead of joints. IIRC we did in fact end up having to pass them to the left as they circulated.

Please tell me at least one kid said "puff puff" before passing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

twistedmentat posted:

GJ snitching on your hard working dad kid.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
To be fair, there are a lot of powdered drinks and water additives out there that could fit that bill

Wouldn’t shock me if the kid was really talking about something like powdered caffeine sports drink or that “Emergen-C” garbage

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

dare was done in 5th grade in my school and i really hope that ten year olds aren't smoking weed :ohdear:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

if you didn't know who in your fifth grade class had weed you just weren't one of the cool kids sorry

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Killingyouguy! posted:

if you didn't know who in your fifth grade class had weed you just weren't one of the cool kids sorry

I know I wasn't and still am not

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

even if this were true, what kind of nutjob kid eats candy they find on the side of the road?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

amaguri posted:

even if this were true, what kind of nutjob kid eats candy they find on the side of the road?

90s kids, dude.

I got a Proustian memory of the mega ADHD kid with the rat tail haircut in my kindergarten class licking every single window on the school bus one time

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

To be fair, there are a lot of powdered drinks and water additives out there that could fit that bill

Wouldn’t shock me if the kid was really talking about something like powdered caffeine sports drink or that “Emergen-C” garbage

Honestly it sounds to me like the apocryphal cop equivalent of "my sister is a nurse and delivered twins named lemonjello and orangejello".

What I'm getting at is that it was probably powdered jello mix.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ok Comboomer posted:

That is possible, but I did have a friend in elementary school who's dad was the current morning zoo DJ on the classic rock station in the early 80s and all the kids would hang out at their place because he had atari and 2 pinball games and pingpong and would play Motley Crue around us. he would also vanish for 10 minutes and come back with way more energy.

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://youtu.be/KF5tYjDIjIs

I’m not having any luck finding the much more recent VCR Party episode where they actually met + spoke to Dark Lord Blood in the contemporary day. Dude’s still cool AF

Yea that poo poo was all over the place. The smart ones rented themselves out to police departments as experts on Satanism and got paid big bucks making bullshit claims for cops to arrest the burnout headbanger kids for murders when it was the husband.

This classic video for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW32CYJrOMI

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The cop who did DARE for my school told us the most common question he got was how much all the drugs in the box were worth, which is believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

amaguri posted:

A low income kid that's always hungry? I grew up in one of London's commuter towns so we had a weird mix of turbo middle class and post thatcher poverty line working class.

There was another kid in my class who literally did just eat anything he found on the playground. He'd "blow off the germs" and go to town which even at 5-6 years old I was horrified at. (Unfortunately, another very 90s thing is not recognizing or doing anything about child abuse :smith: )