Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah it was only good if your DM was deliberately giving you no loot, which surprise surprise hurt martials more than casters.

I mean the idea that not every character is a walking wizards armoire seems reasonable, but it needs campaign-specific balancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It seems reasonable but that isn't the game 3.5 D&D is designed to be. There is an assumption in the numbers that you will get the standard weapon/armor/saving throw/ability score items at least.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I started gaming with some of this group in 1978 and the newest members (including DMs) joined in 2019.

That's cool. So what is it about 2005-era design that really hits with your group? I'm really curious to know what those games do better than any before or since for you. They were before my time - I didn't get into the hobby until 4e and not into non-D&Ds until a few years after that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I must be in gamer groups from another reality than the ones that post here. I've tried running FATE-based and PbTA as well as 4e and 5e, but gotten no traction. Arcana Evolved, Weapons of the Gods, d20 7th Sea, Blue Planet, and even Kuro and Earthdawn have been a lot more popular.

I'm pretty sure people here like Weapon of the Gods? D20 7th Sea is kind of trash but it's more unremarkable trash than something people hate. People like the concept of Blue Planet even if it's one of those games where it's not super clear how you keep it game-able. Earthdawn is just prequel Shadowrun, and I don't recall anyone caring much about either way about it or Kuro.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Yea, Weapons of the Gods is a big surprise on that list. It's a Jenna Moran game with very unusual mechanics. Did they ever try Nobilis/Glitch etc?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I never got to play Weapons of the Gods but I thought it was pretty cool when I read it. IIRC the basic "Strike" stat that governed accuracy/defense was too strong or easy to get or something in the corebook, but supplements tuned it down not by changing the rules per se but adding fairly common effects that could flatten/even out/negate it in various contests.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

Yea, Weapons of the Gods is a big surprise on that list. It's a Jenna Moran game with very unusual mechanics. Did they ever try Nobilis/Glitch etc?

Nobilis was a huge fail so I didn't even try to bring up Glitch. All the players like actual crunch, and the dice roll system in WotG apparently scratched that itch. I guess what the players like is less collab and more following the DM/GMs story. WotG they liked because of the Lore Sheets being in the rules and still allowing them to build themselves into the world. It seems that some players want to have more of the story told to them as the results of their actions, rather than telling it themselves.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
As seen on r/dndnext: Martials should have spell-like abilities like MMOs

quote:

Recently I've been playing Lost ark and it got me thinking about how differently martial classes are portrayed in D&D than in many other games.

I've always hated that in tier 2 play and beyond in anything aside from damage casters make martials seem so uncool and obsolete, they have an array of awesome spells for combat, utility and roleplay meanwhile martials are still stuck with I hit the thing and if you're lucky you might have an expertise or two for skills.

Whilst my level 13 caster friends are literally reversing gravity summoning entire mansions and beings from other planes or regenerating limbs for fun, martials are stuck with "I attack 3 times 37 damage that's my turn"

It got me wondering why don't martial classes have an array of spell like abilities like MMOs?

Why can't a level 13 barbarian slam his axe into the ground and create a fissure in a line in front of him, why can't he do a cleaving sweep attack or leap into the air and slam down causing the ground around him to rise up to pen his enemy in with him?

The closest thing we have to it is battle master fighter and that is one of the more fun in combat martial classes which barely does anything other than apply a status effect to you're attack but it makes you feel like there's a reason to describe the cool stuff you're character is doing which in a long fight gets completely dropped for martials because its the same thing every single time unless you kill something

I hope in 5.5 they really give martials some really cool abilities to make them stand out as the levels scale because right now its really feels like no matter what you do; you always no matter the situation get outshined by a caster.

Do you think this would be good for D&D?

And what are some cool abilities you guys would like to see for certain classes?

:allears:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, saw that and sent it to a friend immediately. 4e was your shepherd and you rejected him, chief.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yeah, saw that and sent it to a friend immediately. 4e was your shepherd and you rejected him, chief.

The thing about something being ahead of its time is that eventually it can be of its time.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

SkyeAuroline posted:

in fairness, can't know that htat person in /particular/ did that. Hell, they might be too young to have played 4e.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sorta fun to watch the tides shift as now everyone that goes in there say like "4e wasn't D&D, they should have called it Fantasy Tactics or something" is getting shouted down. Guy in there trying the old "Fighters are for consistent damage" argument, and being shut down on every point. It warms my heart.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
like with any other question that revolves around media literacy, people aren't actually stupid, they're just really bad at consciously identifying what they like and why they like it. give them enough time and enough concretely different examples to make comparisons between and they'll start developing not only critical opinions but the language to explain them to others

meanwhile the entire field of marketing and branding basically exists to nip this growing sophistication in the bud, because mutually exclusive niches are bad for business :v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Love poo poo like this so much:

Reddit posted:

There's obviously a middle ground, for sure. You wouldn't have to write "close burst 6" or some other terms a newbie wouldn't be familiar with.

Just cut the unnecessary flavour text from the spell description.

"As an action, cast this spell to cause a fireball to explode X radius with X range for X damage, enemies make X save."

You could even add on the flavour text in italics after the mechanical information to clearly separate the mechanical terms from the flavour that people like about 5e.

"I sure wish 5e had 4e templating but I could pretend it had something different because I drew an ideological line in the sand in 2014 and I'm afraid of change!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

Love poo poo like this so much:

"I sure wish 5e had 4e templating but I could pretend it had something different because I drew an ideological line in the sand in 2014 and I'm afraid of change!"
You don't want anything a newbie wouldn't be familiar with! Anyway, my fifth level wizard casts his most powerful spell at third level, adding his 19 intelligence's +4 dice modifier.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The thing about something being ahead of its time is that eventually it can be of its time.

Timely. I should have said "it can be timely". Pretend I was more eloquent. :sweatdrop:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This just proves my theory that was made DND 5e explode wasn't 5e itself but the media exposure.

The combination of factors that made DND suddenly so big would have worked with any edition.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This was literally what Paizo rules designers said when challenged about how much like 4e Pathfinder 2e is. "4e was ahead of its time and we just didn't recognize how right it was with some of what it did." or something like that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MonsieurChoc posted:

This just proves my theory that was made DND 5e explode wasn't 5e itself but the media exposure.

The combination of factors that made DND suddenly so big would have worked with any edition.

4e would have done gangbusters if it wasn't for the murder-suicide.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Toshimo posted:

Also if instead of Atari chasing the MMO market with the video game license, it made something closer to FFTactics or the Shadowrun Returns games in style.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/395890/RPGs-for-Reproductive-Justice-BUNDLE

RPGs for Reproductive Justice [BUNDLE]

quote:

The profits will be entirely donated to the National Network of Abortion Funds (abortionfunds.org)

Total value: $482.09
Special bundle price: $25.00

Don't know the best place to share this but it's a great cause and a ton of content so please share wherever.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ferrinus posted:

I never got to play Weapons of the Gods but I thought it was pretty cool when I read it. IIRC the basic "Strike" stat that governed accuracy/defense was too strong or easy to get or something in the corebook, but supplements tuned it down not by changing the rules per se but adding fairly common effects that could flatten/even out/negate it in various contests.

It is really cool, but it definitely suffered from some god-stat issues that the one supplement, the Companion, didn't really fix. You had to get fairly esoteric/high level for Strike equalization or neutralization to really get going, and that's going to have to be kind of your whole gimmick if you're going to do it at all. Meanwhile Strike remains king for everyone else, as well as for neutralizers if they don't have the actions or chi to pull off the one or two techniques to do it which won't be a super uncommon occurrence.

The spiritual successor Legends of the Wulin did a lot of work to spruce up the system and is generally just a better game mechanically, not least of which by splitting Strike into Strike and Block. Still some pretty rough edges here and there, but definitely worth playing if you get the chance.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bottom Liner posted:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/395890/RPGs-for-Reproductive-Justice-BUNDLE

RPGs for Reproductive Justice [BUNDLE]

Don't know the best place to share this but it's a great cause and a ton of content so please share wherever.

It has Unbound in it which is worth 25bux all by itself. Good deal.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I couldn't find a general thread for Diplomacy, but if I'm on an unclaimed supply center at the start of a fall move and move into another unclaimed supply center AND another player is trying to move into that square then we both get pushed back to where we were(?) I think. If that happens and I'm in the original unclaimed square does that put it under my control?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yes it does.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well hot drat. Its gonna be a fun year in the balkans then.

edit: If anyone's interested
https://www.backstabbr.com/game/War-in-the-Pocket/5160210280480768/1901/spring
My husband is Austria but he's not really into turn based strategy games so he's mostly turned it over to me. Russia reached out offering a non aggression pact with promises of a northward expansion in exchange for not challenging their move into Romania. He's unwilling to openly start poo poo with Turkey (who is IRL married to Italy and so I expect a pincer attack at some point.) but is down for support vs Germany. As you can see Turkey and France aren't sure what's going on, Italy probably got high and forgot to send in orders. I understand Germany is a ruthless war game player, and I have no idea who is playing the UK. Russia is a nice guy but I can absolutely see him loving us over, and it looks like he's moving to surround Bud. I'm wondering who the other players are talking to and if I should start talking to everyone just for chaos since it seems most people aren't communicating.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 10, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Toshimo posted:

We have it from mearles himself that it did do gangbusters. Outsold 3.0/3.5.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

4th edition will forever have a special place in my heart because it is what got me back into tabletop rpg after 12 year long break. If someone I know would be willing to give it a shot I would be immediately in boat

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Actual question because I see it come up a lot, is there actually any evidence that 4e didn't do well? I mean they printed a billion books for it over a long period and gave it a ton of support, there was just a very vocal set of detractors. A bunch of people yelling collectively on a forum about how not D&D it is has nothing to do with sales and how much play it gets though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Glagha posted:

Actual question because I see it come up a lot, is there actually any evidence that 4e didn't do well? I mean they printed a billion books for it over a long period and gave it a ton of support, there was just a very vocal set of detractors. A bunch of people yelling collectively on a forum about how not D&D it is has nothing to do with sales and how much play it gets though.

It didn't do well enough. They were trying to pitch it as a brand separate from Magic, and it never pulled in, like, Transformers or Barbie level money.

Now, this is purely in the corporate sense, the "have your best year all the time" sense. But it is also why 4E faded.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 10, 2022

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Short answer: it did fine, but it appears to be perceived as a failure by the people in charge.

Longer answer: we can't say for sure, because the publicly available data is sparse, inconsistent, and unreliable. But it was reported to be profitable, sold a lot of books, and seemed to rake in money despite some serious handicaps like being sold as print-only with a less than great online character builder. Acquisition Inc. was a wildly popular series from Penny Arcade at the height of their popularity and laid the groundwork for the current explosion of Actual Plays. A great deal the 'D&D is cool now' public perception predates D&D Next, although not at the current levels.

But none of that really matters because the people currently steering D&D (rightly) see 5e as an overwhelming incredible success beyond their wildest dreams, especially when viewing D&D as a brand. While we can quibble about why that was (a working online tool, PDF sales, and more virtual-friendly rules...), since 5e was at least partially conceived as a reaction against and return from 4e that means that 5e's success is defined as 4e's failure.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Mike Mearles has said every edition of D&D outsold the previous.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Covermeinsunshine posted:

4th edition will forever have a special place in my heart because it is what got me back into tabletop rpg after 12 year long break. If someone I know would be willing to give it a shot I would be immediately in boat

There are people who keep playing it. There was even an instance of a recurring convention last weekend, apparently!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tibalt posted:

Short answer: it did fine, but it appears to be perceived as a failure by the people in charge.

Longer answer: we can't say for sure, because the publicly available data is sparse, inconsistent, and unreliable. But it was reported to be profitable, sold a lot of books, and seemed to rake in money despite some serious handicaps like being sold as print-only with a less than great online character builder. Acquisition Inc. was a wildly popular series from Penny Arcade at the height of their popularity and laid the groundwork for the current explosion of Actual Plays. A great deal the 'D&D is cool now' public perception predates D&D Next, although not at the current levels.

But none of that really matters because the people currently steering D&D (rightly) see 5e as an overwhelming incredible success beyond their wildest dreams, especially when viewing D&D as a brand. While we can quibble about why that was (a working online tool, PDF sales, and more virtual-friendly rules...), since 5e was at least partially conceived as a reaction against and return from 4e that means that 5e's success is defined as 4e's failure.

4E character builder is widely regarded as one of the best though? Or was it poo poo at launch and became amazing after?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I imagine that it's not hard to make money on 5e considering they have like 5 people actually producing game content and the rest of the brand is just marketing and making expensive accessories while you get free advertisement from Critical Role.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tibalt posted:

I’ve been wondering about the next edition of dnd because I realized 5th ed is creeping closer to a decade since release. It looks like wotc is happy to ride this wave of popularity by putting out splat books and improving the digital side of the game, so do people think they’re worried an edition shift would lose a lot of momentum?

I’m also curious what they would do with 6th ed mechanically but that’s a different question.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Chakan posted:

I’ve been wondering about the next edition of dnd because I realized 5th ed is creeping closer to a decade since release. It looks like wotc is happy to ride this wave of popularity by putting out splat books and improving the digital side of the game, so do people think they’re worried an edition shift would lose a lot of momentum?
The world does not need a new edition of D&D and WotC knows it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MonsieurChoc posted:

4E character builder is widely regarded as one of the best though? Or was it poo poo at launch and became amazing after?

From a business perspective, it was too generous for something you could download once and play with indefinitely. And that's without getting into all the virtual tabletop stuff they had planned that never happened.

Point is, it was great but if a few things were different it could have started the current D&D revolution earlier. (I personally don't think it would have, just based on how the internet has changed since 4e came out, but it could have.)

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

MonsieurChoc posted:

I might have my timelines and facts all messed up, but didn't it start great, get gated behind a subscription, the person working on it died, Microsoft discontinued Silverlight, and it became effectively offline abandonware before D&D Next even started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

MonsieurChoc posted:

They could also be talking about the Silverlight character builder, which was kind of garbo when they came out with that.