Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Played a par 3 course in Madrid with 3 mismatched rental clubs. Coming from Australian courses it was surprisingly nice for a cheap course. But goddam did I struggle with the rentals, swinging big cavity backs took me a minute to adjust to after playing my old hogan blades back home for the last 18 months.

On a mission today to book a full 18 hole course and take advantage of some warmer weather before I start country hopping back up north again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

mattfl posted:

Ah nice. I just said gently caress it and dropped the coin on the Mirua’s. My thinking was, I’m buying something nice for myself let’s loving splurge lol. I play 60-70 rounds a year, I’ll get my monies worth outta them.

I’m leaning more and more towards just doing it. I see you stop at 4, are you going straight into 5 wood or do you have some sort of hybrid? Also what shafts are you rocking, the guy fit me on some Aerotech SteelFibers, I’ve never used graphite before.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jovial Cow posted:

I’m leaning more and more towards just doing it. I see you stop at 4, are you going straight into 5 wood or do you have some sort of hybrid? Also what shafts are you rocking, the guy fit me on some Aerotech SteelFibers, I’ve never used graphite before.

I have a 3 hybrid then go right to my 3 wood.

I’m rocking 125g Accra iSeries Steel shafts.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

When y'all are playing solo and hit two balls....do you use the best one for the score? If the tee shot goes in the water and your 2nd ball tee shot hits five feet from the pin, do you count the drop?

Because I either hit my best 9-hole score.....or my second worst.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If I'm playing more than one ball I'm not keeping score, or exclusively keeping score on the first ball.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Omne posted:

When y'all are playing solo and hit two balls....do you use the best one for the score? If the tee shot goes in the water and your 2nd ball tee shot hits five feet from the pin, do you count the drop?

Because I either hit my best 9-hole score.....or my second worst.

It's not a round you can count, generally. But, I keep both scores as two separate rounds, just not for handicap. The first ball could conceivably be legal, so long as you always hit it first, even if closer to the hole. Otherwise, especially while putting, you're violating some rules.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I usually don’t bother keeping score because the rare times I’m able to hit multiple balls on the same shot on an actual course is such a fantastic learning opportunity that I end up focusing more on that. But I would say the first ball, if played tee to hole per all normal rules, should count.

Isn’t there some new thing where solo rounds never count for handicap though?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Summit posted:

I usually don’t bother keeping score because the rare times I’m able to hit multiple balls on the same shot on an actual course is such a fantastic learning opportunity that I end up focusing more on that. But I would say the first ball, if played tee to hole per all normal rules, should count.

Isn’t there some new thing where solo rounds never count for handicap though?

Rounds have to be attested, yes. But some clubs allow some solo rounds for leagues.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So where would one find a replacement shaft for a Taylormade Spider Tour putter?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

torgeaux posted:

It's not a round you can count, generally. But, I keep both scores as two separate rounds, just not for handicap. The first ball could conceivably be legal, so long as you always hit it first, even if closer to the hole. Otherwise, especially while putting, you're violating some rules.

Yeah I never putt two balls. Generally I'll hit another if it goes in the water/lost as per usual, or if I absolutely shank one I'll try another.

It's also incredibly maddening when I hit a ball right down the fairway and then I just...can't....find....it.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

mattfl posted:

So where would one find a replacement shaft for a Taylormade Spider Tour putter?

The golfwrx classifieds would be your best bet. Lots of club hoes selling stuff on that site.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Omne posted:

Yeah I never putt two balls. Generally I'll hit another if it goes in the water/lost as per usual, or if I absolutely shank one I'll try another.

It's also incredibly maddening when I hit a ball right down the fairway and then I just...can't....find....it.

I usually play two balls when alone and have the time, but I don't hit two drives, but two approaches and two putts. I'm no longer keeping an official handicap, so it doesn't matter, and that's where I'm really having fun, usually.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Olesen just had an eagle/birdie finish at the British Masters to win by one stroke. It was awesome.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Fairways hit: 5.
Greens hit: 6 (Front, 2, the two par 3s, back 4, missed both par 3s).
Putts: 30.

Shot a 79. Wasn't a bad day, missed greens by feet not yards, and my driver turned into a pull hook machine on the back nine, but recovery shots were good (feet, not yards, off the green). But, when I looked at my stats, other than the putts, man.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Let's put the rumors to rest, I'm not joining that Saudi tour.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Infomaniac posted:

Let's put the rumors to rest, I'm not joining that Saudi tour.

This was the perfect opportunity to have a single digit handicap player join that tour so people could really see how much better pro's are than your typical single digit handicap. You know what, gently caress it, pay me a few million to play a few years and I'll join, retire comfortably in a few years, sign me the gently caress up.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
My driver head was loose and probably has been for the last week at least and that's an lmao from me boys

Went to the range, did my usual setup, waggled and went hang on - something isn't right here. I keep the tool in my bag, sure enough it was loose. One weird trick to adding 20 metres and fixing your slice/fade

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Whoops

https://twitter.com/eamonlynch/status/1524150846296104962

I am not owned etc. etc.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1524103238630481921

What a poo poo show.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's been raining so much here in Portland that I have yet to really start my season this year. I've played maybe half a dozen times.

I'm extremely done with this weather, and guess what? It's gonna rain again this weekend!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Driver 4w 7w 4h is better than Driver 3w 5w 3h for 95% of golfers and I will fight anyone that disagrees.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

daslog posted:

Driver 4w 7w 4h is better than Driver 3w 5w 3h for 95% of golfers and I will fight anyone that disagrees.

I’d take this further and say most rec golfers would be better served with their longest club being a 5/7w. The amount of people I play with who hit their driver 180 yards into the next fairway over is insane, and no one can actually hit a 3w. I finally started flirting with breaking 90 when I left the driver at home and started using my 3/4i off the tee.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

I have gone 4w off the deck from the tee box for years and it has never steered me wrong.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

xsf421 posted:

I’d take this further and say most rec golfers would be better served with their longest club being a 5/7w. The amount of people I play with who hit their driver 180 yards into the next fairway over is insane, and no one can actually hit a 3w. I finally started flirting with breaking 90 when I left the driver at home and started using my 3/4i off the tee.
most rec golfers can't hit a 3i though

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Oddly, that's one of my best clubs, and I've never shot below 90 gross.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

D34THROW posted:

Oddly, that's one of my best clubs, and I've never shot below 90 gross.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Shrapnig posted:

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Trust me, I've been there and done that. It utterly ruined me and I quit until I could legally drink. From that point, a round of golf was an excuse to smoke 4 cigars and drink a 6 pack while in nature.

Now that I've given up tobacco and all but given up drinking, it would be a way for me to get some exercise and gently caress whatever I shoot. If it's good, great. If not, who cares? I got to take a nice walk and smack some balls around.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Alternative viewpoint:

Save the cost of 3 rounds of golf and get a lesson or two on how to hit a driver properly.

Stats prove you'll shoot lower scores the farther you can hit the ball and the shorter your approach club is.

Unless you're leaving driver at home and still breaking 80, you're not doing yourself any favors. If you can hit a 4W and leave yourself a 9i, then a driver will leave you with a wedge.

If you can't figure it out on your own (and many people cannot, WHICH IS OKAY), then get a professional to help you. You will be no worse off, and, in all likelihood, you'll improve through your bag with a full swing lesson.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

mattfl posted:

Ah nice. I just said gently caress it and dropped the coin on the Mirua’s. My thinking was, I’m buying something nice for myself let’s loving splurge lol. I play 60-70 rounds a year, I’ll get my monies worth outta them.

Internet Savant posted:

The real question is: how much more do they cost in absolute terms on a per year basis for the expected duration of use?
If you use them a lot over 6 or 7 years, and it costs $75 - $100 extra per year, is the niceness worth it?

Well you guys convinced me, I pulled the trigger on the Miura’s, now gotta patiently wait 4-6 weeks.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I just had the single worst driving range performance ever. Not worst since I started taking lessons, I mean worst in my golf history. Two buckets, 80 balls, *maybe* five decent shots. I was topping and shanking everything. Embarrassing. I took a quick video of it and sent it to my coach, he said I'm coming over the top worse than ever. Somehow, in trying to go more inside-out, I've gone further outside-in. Truly remarkable.

And I'm supposed to play 18 with a neighbor this weekend. If I swing the same, that 18 will quickly turn into 9

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

D34THROW posted:

Trust me, I've been there and done that. It utterly ruined me and I quit until I could legally drink. From that point, a round of golf was an excuse to smoke 4 cigars and drink a 6 pack while in nature.

Now that I've given up tobacco and all but given up drinking, it would be a way for me to get some exercise and gently caress whatever I shoot. If it's good, great. If not, who cares? I got to take a nice walk and smack some balls around.

I’ve just tried to just remove negativity from the golf course. I laugh off bad shots, try to have an incredibly short term memory, and just enjoy myself. I quit drinking entirely about a year ago and that’s really helped both my mental state on the course and overall golf game. I’ll go through half a dozen smokes on the course but that’s the only place I smoke anymore.

I’m genuinely enjoying playing golf now for the first time in 3 or 4 years.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jovial Cow posted:

Well you guys convinced me, I pulled the trigger on the Miura’s, now gotta patiently wait 4-6 weeks.

gently caress yeah dude!

Mine took way less than 4 weeks to come in so hopefully yours will come in faster! Looks like I ordered on 12/21 and got them Jan 7th.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

mattfl posted:

gently caress yeah dude!

Mine took way less than 4 weeks to come in so hopefully yours will come in faster! Looks like I ordered on 12/21 and got them Jan 7th.

I would be thrilled if it ends up similarly for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Max Homa basically has an updated version of my bag and I want it: https://www.golfwrx.com/676340/max-homas-winning-witb-2022-wells-fargo-championship/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 11, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Jovial Cow posted:

I would be thrilled if it ends up similarly for me.

Wait you golf too?! You and I have very similar interests.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kameh posted:

Alternative viewpoint:

Save the cost of 3 rounds of golf and get a lesson or two on how to hit a driver properly.

Stats prove you'll shoot lower scores the farther you can hit the ball and the shorter your approach club is.

Unless you're leaving driver at home and still breaking 80, you're not doing yourself any favors. If you can hit a 4W and leave yourself a 9i, then a driver will leave you with a wedge.

If you can't figure it out on your own (and many people cannot, WHICH IS OKAY), then get a professional to help you. You will be no worse off, and, in all likelihood, you'll improve through your bag with a full swing lesson.

This.

Longer drives in play equal more real shots at the green in two. Having an average approach in the pitching wedge range is going to do wonders for you. And, driver really isn't a boogeyman, it's not hard to hit consistently once you get someone to get you on the right track with the fundamentals. I'll go rounds where I just hit 5W off the tee, and I'm fine, it's more likely in the fairway, it's longer than most folks, but then I'll play a round with my driver in hand and realize how much I'm costing myself with those approaches.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Kirios posted:

Wait you golf too?! You and I have very similar interests.

I feel like Cars/Racing has a pretty solid overlap with golf generally speaking.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"We've all made mistakes" :thunk:
https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1524494881187676160

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Meanwhile I am completely aghast at the amount of coin that Mickelson is reputed to have dropped gambling terribly on NCAA hoops

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I am so close to my loving golf trip next week I can taste it.

Starting Saturday I'll be playing 7 rounds in 8 days. Starting with a 2 man scramble tourney on Saturday, Tuesday we start our journey to Pinehurst and are going to stop and play the Osprey Cove Golf Club in Georgia before stopping for the night to get some rest, then starting Wednesday 5 rounds at Pinehurst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

mattfl posted:

I am so close to my loving golf trip next week I can taste it.

Starting Saturday I'll be playing 7 rounds in 8 days. Starting with a 2 man scramble tourney on Saturday, Tuesday we start our journey to Pinehurst and are going to stop and play the Osprey Cove Golf Club in Georgia before stopping for the night to get some rest, then starting Wednesday 5 rounds at Pinehurst.

Hell yes