Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean i never particularly liked the trill

yeah same, most of the stuff around the species itself isnt great, they were better without being fleshed out

quote:

and i find jadzia insufferable

we are enemies now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah same, most of the stuff around the species itself isnt great, they were better without being fleshed out

we are enemies now

ezri > jadzia "bbbut CURZON" dax

i wouldn't have minded her so much if they gave her poo poo in her background that wasn't some character we only see as an extra once

[technobabble] benjamin, curzon. [technobabble] symbionts, [technobabble] klingon curzon. remember when we... oh, that was my other host, curzon.

yeah super compelling character

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
movies stopped being good once the really pure coke supply dried up

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

remember when movies could be a story that just ended :911:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

PokeJoe posted:

remember when movies could be a story that just ended :911:
No and neither do you

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

you're not thinking cynically enough: the reduced costs are for the writers, ip clearance, and legal/trademark, etc.

production designers and makeup folks are cheap, lawyers cost real money
They aren't actually reducing costs by recycling the same characters. It's literally just because they think that's what there's a market for.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
it's also not because they're trying to skirt licensing fees either, because cbs/paramount/viacom/whatever has basically owned the ip since they bought it from roddenberry

from the recent dumpster fire that's been called picard and discovery, though, i don't think they could actually get cheaper writers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they suck, but i doubt it has anything to do with pay

TOS and TNG were build on spec scripts being put together by people used to being paid by the word, and edited sometimes while they were filming.

imo, the problem is the people writing for the new series seem to think they're writing prestige tv.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
atop watching star trek and prestige shows, new sci fi is all marvel movies.

dehumanize yourself and face to anime

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDtso935CU4

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ZikoCwqOA

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

infernal machines posted:

they suck, but i doubt it has anything to do with pay

TOS and TNG were build on spec scripts being put together by people used to being paid by the word, and edited sometimes while they were filming.

imo, the problem is the people writing for the new series seem to think they're writing prestige tv.

well yeah, i don't know how much the writers are actually paid, that was just a dig at what they should be paid, nothing

the problem seems more basic than that, and it's one that crops up repeatedly with new streaming shows: they just don't seem to know how to write scripts. if you're given a ten episode order, and you know this in advance, it should not be terrifyingly difficult to plot out how your story is going to unfold

having a dozen loose threads tie together within 25 minutes of one episode is how picard (both seasons) and discovery (i've only seen 1-2, part of 3) have ended things. in the middle you get a bunch of pointless bullshit that ultimately means nothing because it has no bearing on the main story, which is relegated to the backburner. stories don't work this way and it makes for lovely viewing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to anime

no

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

well yeah, i don't know how much the writers are actually paid, that was just a dig at what they should be paid, nothing

the problem seems more basic than that, and it's one that crops up repeatedly with new streaming shows: they just don't seem to know how to write scripts. if you're given a ten episode order, and you know this in advance, it should not be terrifyingly difficult to plot out how your story is going to unfold

having a dozen loose threads tie together within 25 minutes of one episode is how picard (both seasons) and discovery (i've only seen 1-2, part of 3) have ended things. in the middle you get a bunch of pointless bullshit that ultimately means nothing because it has no bearing on the main story, which is relegated to the backburner. stories don't work this way and it makes for lovely viewing.

yeah, again, this is very much the modern prestige tv formula. they're trying to write grand season long story arcs without having the chops to pace or structure their plot to the format, in a franchise that has historically been very episodic. they don't know how to do anything that isn't anguish and bombast dialed to 11, and fully 2/3rds of their plot threads are mystery box bullshit that exist only to serve one or two scenes before being abandoned

none of it matters, because it's about the characters, man. unfortunately, the characters also suck because the only characterization they seem to come up with is "suffering severe personal trauma"

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 11, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah, again, this is very much the modern prestige tv formula. they're trying to write grand season long story arcs without having the chops to pace or structure their plot to the format, in a franchise that has historically been very episodic. they don't know how to do anything that isn't anguish and bombast dialed to 11, and fully 2/3rds of their plot threads are mystery box bullshit that exist only to serve one or two scenes before being abandoned

true enough, but it's been apparent for years that the formula just doesn't work well without a cohesive writing team and producers that are around long enough to see it through, or at the very least to hand the reigns to someone else under their tutelage. in trek terms, ds9 is very serialized, though, and doesn't suffer so. i mean there's definitely a bit of clunkiness in there, but it was essentially the first series (trek or otherwise) to do this, and it did it well

i think it'd be better to go back to an episodic/serialized hybrid format. lower decks and (although it remains to be seen fully) strange new worlds seem to be doing this. LD employs it well, but then again they only need to fit an A/B story loosely connected with the series arc within less than half an hour (and even then it's within the boundaries of animated comedy), so it's cheating a little. SNW will be a good benchmark

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im reading red mars and its neat but like i feel it could have been edited down a good bit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
red mars is so bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like its probably the most boring book ive ever finished

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

red mars is so bad

and it's the best one of the three

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

red mars is so bad

it's fines

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i get that reference now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only good thing about red mars is the player of games parody

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

anyway next up is this, anyone got opinions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_Ashes_(book)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

rotor posted:

im reading red mars and its neat but like i feel it could have been edited down a good bit

Agreed, I like the series overall but the story goes at a glacial pace.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

enjoy picard and new star trek then

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

enjoy picard and new star trek then

i also decline

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

rotor posted:

anyway next up is this, anyone got opinions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_Ashes_(book)

it's a "limited hangout." some entertaining anecdotes but frankly all in service of the idea that the problem with the cia is that they just make too many whoopsies, nothing more fundamental than that. it's been probably a decade, but I seem to remember some glaring holes... I think there's almost nothing about JFK or MKULTRA in there? not totally sure but there's at least nothing memorable about them for a guy who supposedly had such amazing access

also red mars is good, if a little bloated. sequels are definitely worse but I liked them well enough to read them

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

none of it matters, because it's about the characters, man. unfortunately, the characters also suck because the only characterization they seem to come up with is "suffering severe personal trauma"

i missed this whilst effortposting and yeah, that's why i don't get how they hosed picard up so badly. the characters are (or at least should be) a known quantity. you want jean-luc to have some unresolved mommy problems? fine, but don't spend literally the whole season on it, particularly if it ultimately doesn't matter. riker and troi have a kid that died because androids? whatever. that shouldn't be the main reason the uss titan shows up to help picard, a man they're both intensely loyal to. i could go on and on but i think we've had enough of that

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
edit: nm

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 11, 2022

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Did anyone mention Ozark sticking the landing yet? I expected it to fall apart for season 4 pt 2 but aside from some slow conversations the whole series was great

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

like its probably the most boring book ive ever finished

wow, confession that you've never read the bible? bold.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

RokosCockatrice posted:

Did anyone mention Ozark sticking the landing yet? I expected it to fall apart for season 4 pt 2 but aside from some slow conversations the whole series was great

i will never watch ozark because nothing they can concoct nearly approaches the meth whiskey insanity culture of actual ozark america

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i got bored with Ozark in season 2

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it was the same thing with tiger king.

peloton gang: omg have you seen this show? a stimulant-addicted gay redneck started up an illegal zoo and ended up murdering his neighbor over some tic-tacs

me: oh like i havent heard that one before

animist
Aug 28, 2018
ozark struck me as breaking bad if none of the characters were likable or interesting

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i've been catching up on this season of riverdale. one of these is a made up plot:

cheryl blossom is actually her immortal witch great grandmother. sabrina the teenage witch guest stars.

archie learns he has a secret child who was abducted by aliens and aged in fast motion to be the same age as the main cast

jughead discovers he's trapped in a parallel universe in which season 1 reggie appears and duels season 2+ reggie for veronica

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

trick question they’re all real?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that sounds like it was written by joss whedon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

it was the same thing with tiger king.

peloton gang: omg have you seen this show? a stimulant-addicted gay redneck started up an illegal zoo and ended up murdering his neighbor over some tic-tacs

me: oh like i havent heard that one before

lol, i basically had the same conversation with a friend from a rez in NC near the border with TN. i was just like "dude you live on a reservation in the south literally none of this should be surprising behavior"