Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Pooper Hero posted:

That's beautiful. What lake is that?

That's no lake! That's Deception Pass

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Haha! Deceived another one!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Put on the cheapo dynamo wheelset and some new rubber.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Still riding this old rim brake cannondale. State champs road race tomorrow so i cleaned it a bit and put on some new tires.

15lbs, 15oz as pictured.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Very clean. I'm sticking with rim brakes until my 8 year old Enve wheels die.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I only have rimbrakes on dickwood until I get the wild hair up my rear end to have BF build me a new disc dickwood ii someday, maybe when dickwood i hits 10k or 20k miles or something idk. They’re okay, but I’d still rather have disc.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Pretty bike 🤩

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I found a wall. It came with a free church.

eeenmachine posted:

Pretty bike 🤩

That bike is amazingly hot

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 15, 2022

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

eeenmachine posted:

Pretty bike 🤩

:vince:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

eeenmachine posted:

Pretty bike 🤩

:popeye:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

eeenmachine posted:

Pretty bike 🤩

Mamma Mia!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Another angle to show the color variation

Development
Jun 2, 2016

beautiful! :five:

First Priest
Feb 12, 2010

eeenmachine posted:

Pretty bike 🤩

Bike hot, so what

eeenmachine posted:

Now that's just cheating!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

eeenmachine posted:

Ungh

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

eeenmachine posted:

That's the factory gas tank bag? Did it come installed or did you add it on after?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

kimbo305 posted:

That's the factory gas tank bag? Did it come installed or did you add it on after?

Came installed and included a rubber cover for the mounting points if you wanted to remove it. Thanks for all the grunts and moans I'm very in love with it!

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 16, 2022

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
XC season is getting started around here. First race last friday, tonight we got rained/snowed out. It was nice-ish during the day when i was setting up the course though

Have one in Helena sunday, weather is supposed to be nicer.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 21, 2022

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Rode out to the lake again

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

NBD

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
And with the stem that arrived today, the TTrash replacement complete, all that’s left is dialing in the fit.

First Priest
Feb 12, 2010
I find it amusing that a fast and glorious bike has that name on it (Argon means slow in Greek).

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

e.pilot posted:

And with the stem that arrived today, the TTrash replacement complete, all that’s left is dialing in the fit.

So sick

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bikes good

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

e.pilot posted:

Bikes good

Reminds me I don’t think I ever posted this pic in here

Levitate fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 7, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
e: goddammit, I thought this was the general bike thread. Oh, well, not gonna move it.

I did this a while back -- in fact I got significant symptoms from Covid later in the day, so sorta wasn't feeling doing this writeup in the recovery process.

RideWithGPS collaborated with UrbanDirt to put on the Cutty Cap Challenge. I think it was the 2nd year? The idea is to promote riding on dirt in a City Near You tm, using RWG, obviously.

A bunch of cities had 10 caps stashed in random places, curated by local bike scene people. This was the Boston layout:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39021644
It's rather literal, in the sense that it's confined to the Boston city limits, while most people would regard the cities on the north of the river as part of the Boston area. Boston proper is 675k people, while each of Cambridge and Somerville have 100k, to give a sense of scale. Though I totally buy an argument that the whole of Boston is underserved for weird bike events like this, and that there's nothing wrong with making the more affluent bike nerds up north do more riding to try to get these caps.
The perimeter of the map is 20mi, and some of the other cities had perimeters (for still only 10 caps) of 40 and even 60mi. So a much denser competition.

So that map was revealed at 9am on a Saturday, or 8am if you were a RWG member. I am, but having a toddler, I was not about to launch off at 8a for an hour or two trying to get a cap. My kid seemed up for going outside later in the morning, so I thought, why not, let's try to get the nearest cap.

I decided to go for the one in Jamaica Plain, on the Emerald Necklace bike path because a) I'm familiar with the area/route and b) it's one of the closest ones.

Set my phone GPS (wasn't about to charge up the Edge 800 for this) and got to work. Once I got close, I was staring at having to go off the grid to get to the GPS location:

So I knew it was somewhere between the two sides of the Emerald Necklace that I would normally ride, and had no idea what the terrain would be like or how to navigate to the point.

Some reference photos of the land around this part of the path:
It starts off right near Fenway Park in a pretty urban part of the city, where you can see apartments right off the path

Then it gets pretty lush pretty fast

You can see snapping turtles and turtles on the path all the time.

And eventually gives way to quite Thoreauesque scenery

So I'm biking up the left side of the path and spot a few possible trails, but they seem to be going downhill, and my clue,

quote:

At the peak of the hill in the log bench under the purple flowering tree
made me think I needed to get a lot higher elevation. For locals, I was hitting the ramp on the path up into JP Center, so I though I should crest the hill and then turn into the woods.
But my phone showed I had gone past it, so I went back downhill and turned onto the dirt path I saw.

Eventually, I figured out the hill which seemed to be the one referenced in the clue. Unfortunately, it was a really short steep path on dirt. Well, urban dirt encountered. Time to hike a bike to see if it's urban paydirt.

I'm riding the 50lb cargo bike loaded with 40lbs of toddler and bike seat. And I decided to go casual, so am just chewing up the soft soil in my flip flops.
Another parent on a Tern GSD is taking two kids through a little tour on the path below, and calls up to me if I need help. I'm safe, though am not making much progress at the steepest, loosest part midway up the climb. I say I'm fine but don't try to offer an explanation of why I'm up here.

This is about 2/3 of the way up:

I'm always conservative about grades, but I think parts of this was steeper than 50%. Really tricky stuff.
Anyways, in the center of that picture, you can make out the tinge of the purple flowers. This was the moment where I was finally convinced I was in the right spot, and the extra adrenaline got me up the rest of the climb.
After leveling out, I dared to take a pic down the hill

I park the bike and unmount the babber to go find the cap and maybe get the moment on video.
The log bench seals it that this is the right spot.
https://i.imgur.com/nj0phiE.mp4
From 20ft out, I thought the white paper on the ground was maybe the package the cap was in, but by 10ft, I could tell it was someone taking a deuce up on this hill, with toilet paper, so I steer the toddler away from it.
Sweep the log to try to spot anything. Nope.

Even rooting around in the split part of the trunk, I don't find anything. Well, except for someone's weed stash:

A little bummed that it had been claimed (and not posted to RWG's social media to spare me trying to get this one), I put the toddler back on the bike and... walk down some steps instead of trying to rip down that hill.

This gave way to a gentler path down to a creek where we spent the next 30min or so goofing off and getting even dirtier.

I packed him up crying to keep playing with the water and took it easy on the way back home, where Covid would hit me full force (undoubtedly picked it up a few days prior on my company all hands trip in NYC).

All in all, I had a great time. The feeling of having some items physically spread out over a city, and being able to navigate to them, and deciding which one to go to and how to get there -- it was so congruous with playing missions in GTA, of all things.
The excitement of spotting some clue and knowing you're in the right place.
Getting the cap would have been very cool but it was an adventure without all that. Hopefully this challenge got some people who weren't connected to some of the rides their cities had to offer to go out there and enjoyed themselves.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 7, 2022

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kimbo305 posted:

I did this a while back -- in fact I got significant symptoms from Covid later in the day, so sorta wasn't feeling doing this writeup in the recovery process.

RideWithGPS collaborated with UrbanDirt to put on the Cutty Cap Challenge. I think it was the 2nd year? The idea is to promote riding on dirt in a City Near You tm, using RWG, obviously.

A bunch of cities had 10 caps stashed in random places, curated by local bike scene people. This was the Boston layout:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39021644
It's rather literal, in the sense that it's confined to the Boston city limits, while most people would regard the cities on the north of the river as part of the Boston area. Boston proper is 675k people, while each of Cambridge and Somerville have 100k, to give a sense of scale. Though I totally buy an argument that the whole of Boston is underserved for weird bike events like this, and that there's nothing wrong with making the more affluent bike nerds up north do more riding to try to get these caps.
The perimeter of the map is 20mi, and some of the other cities had perimeters (for still only 10 caps) of 40 and even 60mi. So a much denser competition.

So that map was revealed at 9am on a Saturday, or 8am if you were a RWG member. I am, but having a toddler, I was not about to launch off at 8a for an hour or two trying to get a cap. My kid seemed up for going outside later in the morning, so I thought, why not, let's try to get the nearest cap.

I decided to go for the one in Jamaica Plain, on the Emerald Necklace bike path because a) I'm familiar with the area/route and b) it's one of the closest ones.

Set my phone GPS (wasn't about to charge up the Edge 800 for this) and got to work. Once I got close, I was staring at having to go off the grid to get to the GPS location:

So I knew it was somewhere between the two sides of the Emerald Necklace that I would normally ride, and had no idea what the terrain would be like or how to navigate to the point.

Some reference photos of the land around this part of the path:
It starts off right near Fenway Park in a pretty part of the city, where you can see apartments right off the path

Then it gets pretty lush pretty fast

You can see snapping turtles and turtles on the path all the time.

And eventually gives way to quite Thoreauesque scenery

So I'm biking up the left side of the path and spot a few possible trails, but they seem to be going downhill, and my clue,

made me think I needed to get a lot higher elevation. For locals, I was hitting the ramp on the path up into JP Center, so I though I should crest the hill and then turn into the woods.
But my phone showed I had gone past it, so I went back downhill and turned onto the dirt path I saw.

Eventually, I figured out the hill which seemed to be the one referenced in the clue. Unfortunately, it was a really short steep path on dirt. Well, urban dirt encountered. Time to hike a bike to see if it's urban paydirt.

I'm riding the 50lb cargo bike loaded with 40lbs of toddler and bike seat. And I decided to go casual, so am just chewing up the soft soil in my flip flops.
Another parent on a Tern GSD is taking two kids through a little tour on the path below, and calls up to me if I need help. I'm safe, though am not making much progress at the steepest, loosest part midway up the climb. I say I'm fine but don't try to offer an explanation of why I'm up here.

This is about 2/3 of the way up:

I'm always conservative about grades, but I think parts of this was steeper than 50%. Really tricky stuff.
Anyways, in the center of that picture, you can make out the tinge of the purple flowers. This was the moment where I was finally convinced I was in the right spot, and the extra adrenaline got me up the rest of the climb.
After leveling out, I dared to take a pic down the hill

I park the bike and unmount the babber to go find the cap and maybe get the moment on video.
The log bench seals it that this is the right spot.
https://i.imgur.com/nj0phiE.mp4
From 20ft out, I thought the white paper on the ground was maybe the package the cap was in, but by 10ft, I could tell it was someone taking a deuce up on this hill, with toilet paper, so I steer the toddler away from it.
Sweep the log to try to spot anything. Nope.

Even rooting around in the split part of the trunk, I don't find anything. Well, except for someone's weed stash:

A little bummed that it had been claimed (and not posted to RWG's social media to spare me trying to get this one), I put the toddler back on the bike and... walk down some steps instead of trying to rip down that hill.

This gave way to a gentler path down to a creek where we spent the next 30min or so goofing off and getting even dirtier.

I packed him up crying to keep playing with the water and took it easy on the way back home, where Covid would hit me full force (undoubtedly picked it up a few days prior on my company all hands trip in NYC).

All in all, I had a great time. The feeling of having some items physically spread out over a city, and being able to navigate to them, and deciding which one to go to and how to get there -- it was so congruous with playing missions in GTA, of all things.
The excitement of spotting some clue and knowing you're in the right place.
Getting the cap would have been very cool but it was an adventure without all that. Hopefully this challenge got some people who weren't connected to some of the rides their cities had to offer to go out there and enjoyed themselves.

:wrongcity:

Awesome write up! Too bad the perfume didn’t claim the cap though.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Tommasini Super Prestige is rounding into its final form :italy:

Weighs exactly 20 lbs / 9 kg. A couple sizes too big for me but run what you brung. It's been fun agonizing over every detail. Might get some Shamals at some point down the road.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 20, 2022

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Absolutely stunning, what a beautiful bicycle.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I love the stick holding it up :3:

beautiful bike!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I love this parallel chain.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I'm going to become one of those bike guys that look like a old-timey lumberjack. My drops will be higher than my saddle

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Love riding my Kona Raijin everywhere

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
NBD. 2017 Specialized Venge. Lightly used. Need to get the Di2 drivetrain tuned but this thing rips.

Also I am very bad with money and its facing the wrong way in the photo yes.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

So much fun.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Got my first carbon wheels. Once I wear out these tyres I'm going tubeless and that just might push the bike under 7kg (XL size)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

All my bikes are for going slow

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The Madone is a gravel bike.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nice bowling ball

I'm jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Yeah, it doesn't even have an aero speed-hole. Might as well relegate it to gravel and commuting duty.