Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Pennsylvanian posted:

I just want to see the chapter where The Ironborn land in Meereen and fight all of the ridiculous armies like the men on stilts.

There will definitely be GRRM equivalent of Tolkiens Unfinished Tales, so you probably just need to be patient.

What I'm wondering is if the estate has the balls to try and hire a ghost writer Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson style to churn out some final books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

There will definitely be GRRM equivalent of Tolkiens Unfinished Tales, so you probably just need to be patient.

What I'm wondering is if the estate has the balls to try and hire a ghost writer Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson style to churn out some final books.

That would be pretty great and they should do it immediately, ideally behind GRRM's back.

But in all likelihood the TV ending will be the only ending we ever get.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I know Martin has said that he doesn't want any ghostwriters if he goes before he finishes (if, lol)

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Deptfordx posted:

There will definitely be GRRM equivalent of Tolkiens Unfinished Tales

I think that's A Dance with Dragons

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
GRRM needs to at least know what he wants to write even if he can’t figure out how to do it for there to be any reason to hire a ghostwriter. He clearly doesn’t though.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

I doubt people are as invested as with WoT, since that seems to have been a formative teenage event for a massive cohort, with an author that had a lot cache with his fans. Gurm has poo poo all over anybody and everybody he possibly can at this stage, his cache and that of asoiaf is in the toilet. It's a millstone to him and no established author would touch it when he finally shuffles off this veil of excuses and railroads.

Comedy answer: Rothfuss is the man to continue Gurm's legacy of doing nothing at all.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

I know Martin has said that he doesn't want any ghostwriters if he goes before he finishes (if, lol)

I remember the instance of him being asked and his response being along the lines of "I'll burn all of my notes." I always sort of took that as "gently caress you for talking about me dying," and to be fair it is sort of a lovely thing to keep asking a guy in his 60s/70s whose friends are all passing away. I remember he couldn't even post a little remembrance for Ursula K. Le Guin on Twitter without the "FINISH THE BOOK" dipshits flooding his comments.

My dad is turning 68 this year. He retired at 66. He bought a boat when he was 65, thinking he was going to spend every day of his retirement at the lake. Then he found out just how harder it was going to get every year to get that boat out on the water. It's sad, but I think something like that happened with George. And if I was in his position and had to choose between either locking myself up in a room to write a book while interstitially receiving news articles of my friends of 40 years dying, or to go talk to a bunch of actors/writers/creatives who are excited to make a bombastic show based off of my works, I think I'd go the same route. I definitely don't think it excuses him misleading people or being outright abusive to people are more interested in his books than a Yi Ti anime, but I'm just saying I get it. I'm frustrated and annoyed and I don't take it as an excuse, but I get it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I totally understand he doesn't want to write the books, if I was a fat old millionaire who owns a railroad and cinema I wouldn't want to lock myself up and write long rear end books either. That's why I say he should just hire someone to write them! His style can't be that hard to imitate, and he can even demand creative control and micro manage what gets written.

Then again, maybe that's what he's been doing for the last five years...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

He doesn’t know what he wants to write. That’s the problem. He has those vague plot bullet points he gave to HBO in like 2015 but still doesn’t know how to get there. And on top of that he has a dozen non-show characters and plot arcs to figure out as well.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

In a lot of ways I legitimately sympathize with GRRM. Especially as someone who was prone to fairly extreme procrastination and crippling anxiety surrounding appointments and deadlines of any kind when I was a teenager and in my twenties. I’m better about it now, but I certainly remember what an absolutely dreadful feeling it was to know people are expecting something from you, and to just repeatedly fail to meet that expectation again, and again, and again. It’s among the most shameful, embarrassing, oppressive feelings that I’ve ever personally known or experienced, and I’ve led a fairly average life and never had millions of people expecting something of me personally.

I’m not saying this to make excuses for GRRM, but to realistically point out how much it’s gotta suck to completely disappoint an entire planet of people who were awaiting your poo poo with baited breath. To know that the moment passed and you totally blew it, and the worst case scenario also happened because the people you essentially chose as your “ghostwriters” to finish the story (Benioff and Weiss) also poo poo the bed completely.

I mean, he has to be aware that everyone was deeply disappointed with how the TV show ended. And I actually believe that if it had been better-written and/or well-received GRRM would have taken the opportunity to declare that he was done with the mainstream ASOIAF story, as it had already been told. Maybe that’s even what he was planning for, and why there was seemingly so little progress made for so long.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I don't, gently caress him.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont know much about his personal life but for the little I know, it dont seems he is struggling with psychological issues that are preventing him from finishing the drat book or anything like that. He does a lot of other stuff, he seems actually very productive. He just wont work on that book

I think it just became a chore for him. And since he is rich and dont really need to anymore, all he can force himself to do is to write a couple of pages every blue moon and thats enough for him to sleep well knowing that he is still working on the books and thats it

Also it seems to me that he managed to isolate himself from the public opinion quite well so he dont really knows how sick of his poo poo people are he dont really want to know

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don’t think anyone in this thread or anywhere else has any real idea what’s taking him so long, so I refuse to judge him on it. I’d love to have a new book, but I’d certainly never stoop to harassing him like tons of folks do on his blog, gently caress that.

Maybe one day he’ll finish, or maybe he won’t. Aside from reading the finished work, neither outcome is going to affect me personally.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think that writing big books is a lot of hard work, especially once you've struck gold once and you know millions of people expect certain things from you and they were kinda lukewarmish about the two past tomes which you labored on for over a decade and on one hand you know they'll be disappointed if it's poo poo, especially now that they know the general plot beats, and on the other hand they'll also be disappointed if it takes you too long, so it's kinda poo poo and given that you're no Stephen King who just shits out complete novels every 4 months and this whole thing is basically a massive investment of time and effort perhaps it's just like easier to procrastinate, do anything else, literally anything else.

As a fan of his work I hate the gurm, gently caress that guy, but on a basic human level? more power to the guy, he got it all figured out, it's really not his fault his books were so good, he already wrote 3 good books that's like a massive accomplishment, very few people write even one decent book, and people expect him to write like what, 4 more? that's crazy, really,

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also it seems to me that he managed to isolate himself from the public opinion quite well so he dont really knows how sick of his poo poo people are he dont really want to know

Nah he's definitely aware. He's done late night talk show sketches about it, gotten Neil Gaiman to speak up publicly on his behalf, and it was such a meme that half a decade ago it was a loving gag in Logan Lucky. He'd have to be pretty insulated even by old Boomer standards to not have any idea what people think.

But like people said he's created this perfect cocktail where he has absolutely every incentive to not work on it, and die a rich, smug, obstinate bastard about it.

The Logan Lucky bit was great though it's basically like this thread circa 13 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-CUJxIQkpA

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I remember the instance of him being asked and his response being along the lines of "I'll burn all of my notes." I always sort of took that as "gently caress you for talking about me dying," and to be fair it is sort of a lovely thing to keep asking a guy in his 60s/70s whose friends are all passing away. I remember he couldn't even post a little remembrance for Ursula K. Le Guin on Twitter without the "FINISH THE BOOK" dipshits flooding his comments.

kaworu posted:

In a lot of ways I legitimately sympathize with GRRM. Especially as someone who was prone to fairly extreme procrastination and crippling anxiety surrounding appointments and deadlines of any kind when I was a teenager and in my twenties. I’m better about it now, but I certainly remember what an absolutely dreadful feeling it was to know people are expecting something from you, and to just repeatedly fail to meet that expectation again, and again, and again. It’s among the most shameful, embarrassing, oppressive feelings that I’ve ever personally known or experienced, and I’ve led a fairly average life and never had millions of people expecting something of me personally.

I’m not saying this to make excuses for GRRM, but to realistically point out how much it’s gotta suck to completely disappoint an entire planet of people who were awaiting your poo poo with baited breath. To know that the moment passed and you totally blew it, and the worst case scenario also happened because the people you essentially chose as your “ghostwriters” to finish the story (Benioff and Weiss) also poo poo the bed completely.

I mean, he has to be aware that everyone was deeply disappointed with how the TV show ended. And I actually believe that if it had been better-written and/or well-received GRRM would have taken the opportunity to declare that he was done with the mainstream ASOIAF story, as it had already been told. Maybe that’s even what he was planning for, and why there was seemingly so little progress made for so long.

chaosapiant posted:

I don’t think anyone in this thread or anywhere else has any real idea what’s taking him so long, so I refuse to judge him on it. I’d love to have a new book, but I’d certainly never stoop to harassing him like tons of folks do on his blog, gently caress that.

Maybe one day he’ll finish, or maybe he won’t. Aside from reading the finished work, neither outcome is going to affect me personally.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think that writing big books is a lot of hard work, especially once you've struck gold once and you know millions of people expect certain things from you and they were kinda lukewarmish about the two past tomes which you labored on for over a decade and on one hand you know they'll be disappointed if it's poo poo, especially now that they know the general plot beats, and on the other hand they'll also be disappointed if it takes you too long, so it's kinda poo poo and given that you're no Stephen King who just shits out complete novels every 4 months and this whole thing is basically a massive investment of time and effort perhaps it's just like easier to procrastinate, do anything else, literally anything else.

As a fan of his work I hate the gurm, gently caress that guy, but on a basic human level? more power to the guy, he got it all figured out, it's really not his fault his books were so good, he already wrote 3 good books that's like a massive accomplishment, very few people write even one decent book, and people expect him to write like what, 4 more? that's crazy, really,

Just want to say I agree with these posts completely. Hit the nail on the head on what I've been trying to say. I think we all know how nerds get when it comes to Thing They Like and there is no doubt in my mind that the comments people make on twitter about his health has probably been said to his face by some lovely fan(s) who no longer sees him as an actual person but rather a vehicle by which the content they like is delivered.

It's one thing to sit here and speculate on things like What Will Finally Make His Publishers Put Their Foot Down and the like, but I don't want to stoop so low.

Seriously, the comments people leave on his Twitter are just terrible. As much as I want those final books I'm never going to resort to that. It's just tasteless.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Happy Landfill posted:

Seriously, the comments people leave on his Twitter are just terrible. As much as I want those final books I'm never going to resort to that. It's just tasteless.

All he has to do is be honest. He chooses this by lying continually. See also Rothfuss, Patrick.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I would never go scream at him at his blog or twitter or anything, Im not mad at him. I find the whole thing pretty funny, to be honest

But I cant say I feel sorry for him either

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I will continue to make fun of the lazy lying creepy rear end man thank you.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

As a fan of his work I hate the gurm, gently caress that guy, but on a basic human level? more power to the guy, he got it all figured out, it's really not his fault his books were so good

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So by that math Dany was supposed to be only 12 for the arranged marriage and sex scenes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

I would never go scream at him at his blog or twitter or anything, Im not mad at him. I find the whole thing pretty funny, to be honest

But I cant say I feel sorry for him either

Yeah, poo poo happens sometimes, and authors are also only human and dumbasses. GRRM isn't even the first author I've read that just burned out and refused to continue his work. One of my favorite SF-series is cursed with a guy just like GRRM, including occasional promises that he's still working on the next book.

Just treat this stuff as the farce it is and move on, imho.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pretty sure the book explicitly states that she turns fourteen in her second or third chapter, when she's in extreme pain due to Drogo's rough loving.

e; or is it when she learns she's pregnant? it's around those parts.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Pretty sure the book explicitly states that she turns fourteen in her second or third chapter, when she's in extreme pain due to Drogo's rough loving.

After he rapes her the chapter closes with it was her xx birthday.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yes, but the original context of that quote is the old material posted on reddit, in which the timing of the first book is two years earlier than it would be in the final book as published. So that version would have made her eleven at her wedding, and the day she finds out she's pregnant would have been her twelfth birthday.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

pseudanonymous posted:

All he has to do is be honest. He chooses this by lying continually. See also Rothfuss, Patrick.

Yep, I've said this before. I would totally understand if he came out and was like "hey guys, I just don't have the passion for this thing anymore and I want to retire and enjoy my money and have fun going to movie premieres and editing my buddies' terrible sci fi stories", and then gave his notes to Brandon Sanderson or someone to finish up. poo poo, I'd want to do the same thing if I was old and wealthy.

It's the ten years of interviews where he's like "oh ho ho got a lot of work done but there's still a long way to go!" that make him such an absolute fucker.

e: and the horrible hat

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 12, 2022

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If I lost interest in something I got rich off of I’d just give someone the cliff notes and have them poo poo out the rest for me. Didn’t seem too concerned about how D and D made him look like a loving hack.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Invalid Validation posted:

If I lost interest in something I got rich off of I’d just give someone the cliff notes and have them poo poo out the rest for me. Didn’t seem too concerned about how D and D made him look like a loving hack.

He was, he got into several fights with them and eventually left the show and refused to even comment about it for the most part, in the earlier seasons he was like one of the fans, in the last season he even half-heartedly disowned the ending. I don't think it's fair to say he didn't care, probably broke his heart when he realized that D&D don't have any artistic passion for the project whatsoever.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Either does he apparently because he doesn’t wanna prove how much better his ending would be.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Is the next book out yet

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Either does he apparently because he doesn’t wanna prove how much better his ending would be.

There is no way in hell the final season wasn't based on his actual notes. Remember this is the dingus who seemed genuinely impressed that two trustfunders figured out that R+L=J.

The weird rubberbanding focus back to Bran, Sansa being the stoic Queen of the North, and Sam's insistence on writing the literal "Song of Ice and Fire" is what tells me. The "Dany goes insane" thing is also very early GRRM notes as well. Like all of it in the broad strokes feels very much like the kind-of poo poo he had scribbled on the back of a Domino's box circa 1996, way before he realized things like "Oh cool Jamie redemption arc and he's now a fan-favorite" and "Boy I sure am introducing a whole lot of Red Mages for this to never pay off narratively."

Phenotype posted:

Yep, I've said this before. I would totally understand if he came out and was like "hey guys, I just don't have the passion for this thing anymore and I want to retire and enjoy my money and have fun going to movie premieres and editing my buddies' terrible sci fi stories", and then gave his notes to Brandon Sanderson or someone to finish up. poo poo, I'd want to do the same thing if I was old and wealthy.

It's the ten years of interviews where he's like "oh ho ho got a lot of work done but there's still a long way to go!" that make him such an absolute fucker.

e: and the horrible hat
:same:

I wouldn't like it, but I would respect this modality.

I really like that GRRM has given me a fat sack of poo poo that I can use as a lightning rod for my hate for the rest of my life.

But I also know I'm kind-of the exception. I think at the core he really is terrified of losing the respect of all his peers for "giving up" on the work even though it's painfully obvious he has.

And as has been noted-- he's not lazy. Even on a generous curve for all the help he must have, he's found time to buy cinemas and railroads and try to build a literal castle like some old maester who suddenly came into a bunch of gold in The Reach. He finds time to consult on other projects and sign his name to them. He just doesn't want to sit down and do the very boring work because he knows that once he does the blind public and social respect he's enjoyed for nearly a quarter of a century is gonna come to an end.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Is the next book out yet

"The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion" has been available in the clearance section of your local bookstore for quite some time already

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

mind the walrus posted:

And as has been noted-- he's not lazy. Even on a generous curve for all the help he must have, he's found time to buy cinemas and railroads and try to build a literal castle like some old maester who suddenly came into a bunch of gold in The Reach. He finds time to consult on other projects and sign his name to them. He just doesn't want to sit down and do the very boring work because he knows that once he does the blind public and social respect he's enjoyed for nearly a quarter of a century is gonna come to an end.

GRRM dies, leaves four completed books in a bank vault with a strict legally-binding order on his estate not to publish them until 100 years after his death or until the last living ASOIAF fan is dead, whichever comes first. His final act of spite.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

NihilCredo posted:

GRRM dies, leaves four completed books in a bank vault with a strict legally-binding order on his estate not to publish them until 100 years after his death or until the last living ASOIAF fan is dead, whichever comes first. His final act of spite.

there are not four completed asoiaf books today what makes you think he has 4 more?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

jsoh posted:

there are not four completed asoiaf books today what makes you think he has 4 more?

GRRM when writing books that are going to get published and complete his life's work: sleeps, eats, plays railroad tycoon both IRL and on his ancient pc

GRRM when writing books that will not get published and will only exist to further mock, frustrate and piss off his fans after he's dead: hey wassup stephen, i'll send elio to bangor tomorrow to pick up more of your leftover angel dust, i want to hit 75 pages a day

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

There are no books

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmao I didn't know he owned a railroad

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Whizzing Wizard posted:

"The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion" has been available in the clearance section of your local bookstore for quite some time already

Was that released before or after the pop-up book?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

Lmao I didn't know he owned a railroad

Yeah it's even the thread title atm.

New one though ASoIaF: There aren't even four books

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Deptfordx posted:

You're kidding right? Tolkeins "unfinished stuff" was essentially compiled notes that his son gathered up and put in order. Do you truly imagine that the absolute fucker has any such notes to compile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, the world’s a slightly different place now. Out of curiosity, I wonder if Tolkien would have relied on livejournal to essentially compile and store his notes if he were alive today…