Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1515876728463257600?s=20&t=om6m-D3JBQSsc1PIDYHlDw

quote:

Shin Megami Tensei V has sold 1 million units worldwide! ✨

Character Designer Masayuki Doi has created a special illustration to celebrate! Thank you so much for your support! #SMT5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Nice. Hopefully that will encourage them to make more than one per decade or port IV and IVA to other systems. I stopped reading about the game shortly after it came out. What's the consensus on it being a stealth sequel to Nocturne? I was leaning towards it being a standalone thing, but then I saw Lucifer's second form in my most recent playthrough.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not a sequel it just deals with similar themes and borrows liberally from nocturne while nodding back at it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It pretty much all but says its a sequel.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No it doesn't.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Tokyo being destroyed by an event called the conception 18 years prior to the game (2021-2003) seems pretty blatant. Some of the cosmology stops making sense if it's a true sequel, but there's too many breadcrumbs for this to be like Hijiri-Hawk in SMT3. I'm guessing the main writer leaving mid-production led to them changing some things.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's called a nod. The cosmology is completely different. In Nocturne the entire world outside the Vortex World was destroyed. It's the inverse with V, having Tokyo turned into Da'at and the rest of the world just chilling.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

They wanted you to point at the things like Nocturne and say "I know that thing" while also wanting it to be its own thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They will release SMTV:A that uses a lot of the original SMTV concepts they took out for time restraints and also you'll be playing the Onibohan, a reverse Nahobino, who is also the mysterious Atlus remake/sidequel girl character, trying to kill the SMTV protagonist. Please give me money, Atlus. Or a free copy of the eventual Limited Edition.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hello thread. I haven't played a smt game except 4, (but also p4, which let's not count). I liked the depth of the game but often felt a little lost in it's plot.
Is SMTV a game for me?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Hello thread. I haven't played a smt game except 4, (but also p4, which let's not count). I liked the depth of the game but often felt a little lost in it's plot.
Is SMTV a game for me?

SMTV's plot is mega light. It's a pretty good game overall, but a lot shallower than IV. Overall, I think if you're looking for the next step, try out Nocturne. (There's also SMTIV: Apocalypse which is a side sequel to IV, I didn't care much for it, it's kinda divisive.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dramatic trailer where the V in smtv flips and someone slashes through it forming and A. SMTA. A for Apocalypse. Atlus USA freaks out having already used it for Final. Game seems to start the same but instead of Aogami your spirit is shattered with the other half being taken to the other side of Da'at. The game reuses areas but now you can flip to the inverse side where time and spatiality have broken down. To solve puzzles of course. You're pursued by a mysterious female that can somehow also traverse the inverted Da'at. This functions like a cross between RE2makes Mr.X and a FOE. Luckily your first time meeting them you're saved by a mysterious cat with a bell on its collar. Eventually you discover that this woman is a previous version of you who fused with Amanozaoko in another previous cycle and chose the secret ending, but in waiting and guarding the universe for so long they came to understand that there was an infinite amount of other parallel worlds in the Amala network. Feeling they failed they've been recreating a false version of the world of gods in simalcrum over and over to try and find a way out.

The final choice is to help her to battle the Axiom and wipe out all life, and potential for life in perpetuity forever past present and in every dimension. Or not be a dip and help Seraph who helps you transcend and help everyone else out of the whole mandala dealio

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Gaius Marius posted:

Dramatic trailer where the V in smtv flips and someone slashes through it forming and A. SMTA. A for Apocalypse. Atlus USA freaks out having already used it for Final. Game seems to start the same but instead of Aogami your spirit is shattered with the other half being taken to the other side of Da'at. The game reuses areas but now you can flip to the inverse side where time and spatiality have broken down. To solve puzzles of course. You're pursued by a mysterious female that can somehow also traverse the inverted Da'at. This functions like a cross between RE2makes Mr.X and a FOE. Luckily your first time meeting them you're saved by a mysterious cat with a bell on its collar. Eventually you discover that this woman is a previous version of you who fused with Amanozaoko in another previous cycle and chose the secret ending, but in waiting and guarding the universe for so long they came to understand that there was an infinite amount of other parallel worlds in the Amala network. Feeling they failed they've been recreating a false version of the world of gods in simalcrum over and over to try and find a way out.

The final choice is to help her to battle the Axiom and wipe out all life, and potential for life in perpetuity forever past present and in every dimension. Or not be a dip and help Seraph who helps you transcend and help everyone else out of the whole mandala dealio

∀ Megaten?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My reading on SMTV is that yes, Da'at is the Vortex World, and yes it's set after the True Demon Ending, but that it doesn't necessarily matter both cosmically and to the people in the story. The 'god is dead' part matters amd that's all.

It's like how there are clues suggesting that FFX is set in FFVII's past, but it doesn't matter because nobody in-universe gives a poo poo about any of those clues.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So can somebody explain what the super bonus SMTV ending is all about?

Somebody on Reddit said this and it doesn't make sense to me

quote:

The first neutral ending is neutral because you refuse to pick a side and just blow everything up - basically the traditional SMT neutral end.

The other neutral end is neutral because you side with humanity over all other races, which is the more modern approach to neutral.

Yakumo wants to blow up the throne for humanity (which is normal Neutral so far as I saw when I played the game) so I'm not sure what they are on about.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

NikkolasKing posted:

So can somebody explain what the super bonus SMTV ending is all about?

Somebody on Reddit said this and it doesn't make sense to me

Yakumo wants to blow up the throne for humanity (which is normal Neutral so far as I saw when I played the game) so I'm not sure what they are on about.

In the "Good" Neutral ending, Nuwa comes back after Yakumo dies and is all like "Actually we weren't going to destroy the throne we were going to make a new world just for humans, k bye!" and then in the ending sequence Tao shows up and is like "Hey bestie are you sure you want to destroy the throne or do you perhaps have some other ideas about creation?" and then you do the Nocturne Freedom ending where it just resets to the beginning of the game where everyone is just alive and walking to school with the implication that demons and gods and angels just no longer exist

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not quite
it has very little in relation to nocturne freedom. it keeps the same walking animation from the other endings but you're now in your human form not nahobino form.

what is more like is Dagdas ending of final, you effectively use your power to end the mandala system by ending the concept of gods. you then see the humanbino walking with Tae et all, but with the Nahobino part of the MC looking on implying they're good form still exists in some sense but cannot exert any action on the world and exists only to observe. then the monk calls into question if the system can be held in stasis forever

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGKFm9U2E5c

Soul Hackers 2 character trailer for Milady (Press the closed caption button for English subtitles)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjCoy0StJpU

Soul Hackers 2 Summoner's Guide (Vol 2). Turn on Closed Captioning for English subtitles. Nothing particularly interesting, it goes over the broad strokes of the plot and gives a bit more info on Milady (she is apparently pegging Iron Mask, her special ability is recovering MP in combat). Ringo hitting an enemy with her sword in a dungeon doesn't initiate combat, it simply knocks the enemy down and then you can either touch then enemy to start combat or just run around them.

When you enter a dungeon, Ringo sends out all her demons into the field to look for stuff, then if you bump into them in the dungeon they might give you items or heal you, or more importantly, introduce you to a demon from that dungeon that you can negotiate with and recruit. It's unclear how this (sending demons out to look for stuff) interacts with your demon selection in combat though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
That rapper dude is the one who killed Milady before Ringo revived her.

Milady, as I theorized, is good with Fire skills.

Also, there'll be a hands-on event in Tokyo to play the game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o87ywQWpms

Devs play some of the game. A few minor things of note:

-on Saizo's turn, they select "Commander Skill" and it still focuses on Ringo. She uses a skill that makes it so that every weakness hit boosts Stack by 2 rather than 1, and Saizo still gets his turn but going forward in the round Commander Skills are greyed out. It looks like using them doesn't cost any actions, but you can't use them more than once per round.

-I couldn't translate anything but I did hear Saizo saying "arashi no megumi" (goddess of storms) when using a Force skill. With only 4 party members and everyone being flexible in equipping demons, I'm going to assume there'll be a lot of unique combat quotes. When he uses another skill earlier on Saizo does call out to Arrow, and then during Arrow's turn Milady (who is next) also mentions him. I assume it's a lot of "Arrow, you're up!" and "Arrow, set them up for me." and stuff like that.

-The little Figue bird doll in the top right tells you when enemies are nearby and also she's adorable.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

https://twitter.com/mug4times/status/1520548215732543488?s=21&t=9H04pJR93f7_yaQQwiw7Mw

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's cool. Everyone should give SMT2 a shot. Write down the passcodes

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Are there any major changes from the SNES version?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Off the top of my head it has a bunch of bonus scenes which connect it more firmly to SMT1. I think it's 12 or 16.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've always heard the Aeon Genesis translation sucks, maybe I should finally give this a try now.

Or not.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 2, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Epic joke!!!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait what

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc6PE-unzsM

Saizo trailer.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The horrible outfit, the fangs, the whole look....I'm being pandered to and I appreciate it.

This mans shocking yet inevitable betrayal of me will only make me like him more.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hi, I'm sure that there were 117 pages of people talking about what they'd want out of a Persona 6 game without Hashino involved. How many pages ago was that, if it happened?

I'll be honest, I haven't bought or beaten any of these games, I only tried one of the Devil Survivor games for a bit. because one of my friends in High School had it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally starting SMTV. If I want to get max content first play through, any tips I should know?

Also, any builds/stats particularly powerful?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Finally starting SMTV. If I want to get max content first play through, any tips I should know?

MC's unique skills are physically oriented but you get enough stat points you can also focus him somewhat on magic early in the game to keep the press turns rolling until you get a bigger team/good critical phys skills

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The MC does have unique lightning attribute magic as well as recovery if you want to go the magic route.

You can choose your ending alignment but if it isn't in accordance with your actions you will be punished.

There's one secret ending, you don't need to beat all the quests, but a fair few of them. Additionally there's one point that you can mess up, late in a sidequest you'll be asked to kill or spare a demon. Sparing him is non optional to unlocking the secret ending.
You also need to beat the secret boss whose level gated at 80 and is recommended for fighting at at least ninety.

Don't be afraid to try out other racial skills. Omagatoki critical is always useful, but don't get trapped by it. Many of the others are incredibly useful situationally or otherwise.

You don't need to collect all the miman

Most importantly follow your heart instead of reading a guide.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

AlternateNu posted:

Save all the items that give MC a free level up until late game because you're going to need to be in the 90s for the super boss

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Gaius Marius posted:

The MC does have unique lightning attribute magic as well as recovery if you want to go the magic route.

He also has a unique 3-8 hit ice magic spell, as well as a unique dark spell that can inflict poison. They're all pretty good and so building the MC for magic early in the game is a pretty solid move.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The poison spell becomes extremely useful almost as soon as you obtain it. Almighty and physical mastery are pretty good choices. There are almighty abilities that scale with strength.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
As far as tips go: move the MC out of the first slot of the party if you're doing a physical build. Magic is better at getting press turns.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BNHqMqdduU

Soul Hackers 2 Summoner's Guide 3 (turn on Closed Captioning for English subtitles, as per)
This one goes over the broad strokes of the setting, some of the shops. A few familiar faces show up (Madam Ginko, Victor, Azazel).
It gives bit more about Saizo (he's good with Force magic and is fast, making him a good healer).
Demon Fusion exists and works like Demon Fusion.
There's some insight into character building and how it keeps the characters distinct: You can obtain Mistique, which are basically passive skills like Fire MP Consumption Down or Almighty Booster, but they have to be equipped to a Comps, which themselves have their own affinities. So like Ringo's has a D affinity for Fire, no affinity for Ice, and C for Lightning, that means she can equip any Fire Mistiques that are D ranked (So, MP Consumption Down 1 and Damage Up 1), no Ice Mistiques at all, and any Lightning Mistique C rank or lower (MP Consumption Down 1 and MP Consumption Down 2, Damage Up 1 and 2). Also, some Mistique enable special skills (the one demonstrated is Cocytus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You get Mystiques by having a demon learn it's final skill.