Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Just turn Duke into a Johnny Bravo-esque himbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Drakkel posted:

I could 100% see Randy Pitchford stumbling into the offices post-acquisition and going "What we really need in this game is a big wall of tits you can slap around!"

Simon Hurley (today a bigwig on fortnite) nearly got fired in his first week in the game industry because he made fun of duke nukem forever in 2003 and randy pitchford overheard him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Simon Hurley (today a bigwig on fortnite) nearly got fired in his first week in the game industry because he made fun of duke nukem forever in 2003 and randy pitchford overheard him.

Randy got his start designing levels for Duke and other related games, it's no wonder he's so attached to the property. Sure fits his personality, too.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Anyway they already made the perfect modern duke nukem game, it was doom 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Funnily enough in the 2001 build, you gain health back by killing enemies. So something like the glory kill gameplay loop was planned for Duke Nukem Forever, they just scrapped it for the hiding behind cover and sucking your thumb approach CoD has for the final build.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Just add interactable props everywhere to Serious Sam and you're pretty much done.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There was a contingent of people like myself who wanted DNF to be a deconstruction of the FPS genre told with tongue in cheek sensibilities.

What we got eventually was Bulletstorm

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

Doom 2016 is a fun shooter but it doesn't really do the stuff that makes Duke Nukem memorable.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I keep telling ya, reboot Duke Nukem as a lovable, himbo dingus

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I keep telling ya, reboot Duke Nukem as a lovable, himbo dingus

SCheeseman posted:

Just turn Duke into a Johnny Bravo-esque himbo.

They're the same picture.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Imagine a modern game where they depicted cops as pig monsters, people would go wild

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fried Watermelon posted:

Imagine a modern game where they depicted cops as pig monsters, people would go wild

I like the implication in Duke 3D in that the cops just turned into pig monsters once the aliens showed up, meaning all cops in Duke's world are evil pig aliens in disguise just waiting for the right moment to let the mask slip.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I preordered DNF. :cripes:
And simcity 2013. :cripes:

I don't preorder anymore.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Funnily enough in the 2001 build, you gain health back by killing enemies. So something like the glory kill gameplay loop was planned for Duke Nukem Forever, they just scrapped it for the hiding behind cover and sucking your thumb approach CoD has for the final build.
Weirdly I think DNF was one of the few games who did the awful hide and regenerate health decently. By turning it into ego, and you raised your maximum by doing stupid macho crap like lifting weights, sports, etc. Sure it's very silly but it fit thematically and was explained in an acceptable way instead of the usual 'lol you just get health back by magic in this non-magic setting somehow I don't know'.

The game was garbage except that's an insult to garbage everywhere.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I like the implication in Duke 3D in that the cops just turned into pig monsters once the aliens showed up, meaning all cops in Duke's world are evil pig aliens in disguise just waiting for the right moment to let the mask slip.
In Duke's world?

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Ego as a health pool fits way better with killing enemies for health recovery rather than sitting in cover and letting it regenerate over time, tho

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Poil posted:

The only times it's really worth preordering are the rare occasions when you get a discount for doing so. You could also make a case for preloading large games if you have a slow/bad/unreliable internet connection.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Poil posted:

Weirdly I think DNF was one of the few games who did the awful hide and regenerate health decently. By turning it into ego, and you raised your maximum by doing stupid macho crap like lifting weights, sports, etc. Sure it's very silly but it fit thematically and was explained in an acceptable way instead of the usual 'lol you just get health back by magic in this non-magic setting somehow I don't know'.

The game was garbage except that's an insult to garbage everywhere.

In Duke's world?

I mean raising your maximum ego was fine in the finished game but I think being badass and killing tons of enemies without getting hit to regain health as ego as in the 2001 build works better than sitting in cover waiting for it to regenerate as in the 2011 build. You'd need enemies that attack mostly with avoidable projectiles instead of hitscanners (like how Doom 2016 did it) for this system to work though which the 2001 build seems lacking in so, yeah. And by Duke's world I mean the games version of Earth. It implies all cops are not just bastards but alien bastards who are going to pay for shooting down his ride.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

The only times it's really worth preordering are the rare occasions when you get a discount for doing so. You could also make a case for preloading large games if you have a slow/bad/unreliable internet connection.

I would also add "you want a physical copy of some niche title." You aren't going to have a hard time getting a copy of the latest Call of Duty or Madden, but somehow I don't think your local Target is going to have many copies of Touhou Genso Wanderer on the shelves.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

yook posted:

Ego as a health pool fits way better with killing enemies for health recovery rather than sitting in cover and letting it regenerate over time, tho
Oh yeah, that's true.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I mean raising your maximum ego was fine in the finished game but I think being badass and killing tons of enemies without getting hit to regain health as ego as in the 2001 build works better than sitting in cover waiting for it to regenerate as in the 2011 build. You'd need enemies that attack mostly with avoidable projectiles instead of hitscanners (like how Doom 2016 did it) for this system to work though which the 2001 build seems lacking in so, yeah. And by Duke's world I mean the games version of Earth. It implies all cops are not just bastards but alien bastards who are going to pay for shooting down his ride.
Yep. It had some avoidable projectiles if I remember correctly but maybe I'm getting it mixed up with Duke3d.

Sorry I got the tone wrong at the end of that post. I meant it as in it's not exclusive to just Duke's world. Although that's insulting to actual pigs so I apologize to the animals.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Duke Nukem: Time to Kill was low-key a pretty great PS1 game. Multiplayer was fun, too.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Shut the gently caress up Jim Ryan
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1524833769580023829

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah the guy needs to gently caress off via cannon.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Playstation used to have a number of good, seemingly genuine public-facing executives to their name. Now all that's left is Jim Ryan constantly putting his foot in his mouth. What a tosser.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

More proof that cat people are the worst.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Shooting Blanks posted:

I will fight you

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I thought the crackpot theory was Lizard People

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Saying dogs are cool because they "know their place" doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Cats and Dogs are both good.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anno posted:

Saying dogs are cool because they "know their place" doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either.

You might call it... dog-whistling

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

Cats and Dogs are both good.

drat, edgy much???

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1374033875601477632

Jim Ryan's the fuckwit who doesn't understand why people like playing BC games
seems like a liability for sony to me tbh

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s probably true that backwards compatibility is a pain in the rear end thing to build that doesn’t generate much revenue.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Vegetable posted:

It’s probably true that backwards compatibility is a pain in the rear end thing to build that doesn’t generate much revenue.

Probably. Generating revenue seems to be the only thing this guy can do halfway right.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jim Ryan walks into museums and asks why the gently caress does anyone come to see the ancient relics

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm getting tired of all these ancient ps4 games clogging up my ps5. Get rid of all that sad old poo poo for nerds

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mona Lisa? poo poo, mate

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
playstation are already working on game preservation

time will tell what they mean by it

e: https://twitter.com/SomeCronzaGuy/status/1518616882357571586

kliras fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 13, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We have preserved your ability to pay $60 for a PS3 port of your favorite PSX games that run in 720p on PS5

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Rarity posted:

Jim Ryan walks into museums and asks why the gently caress does anyone come to see the ancient relics

Rarity posted:

Mona Lisa? poo poo, mate

This is a terrible analogy. Art deserves to be preserved. Old video games, not so much.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

This is a terrible analogy. Art deserves to be preserved. Old video games, not so much.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Doom Rooster posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmm