Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

izagoof posted:

this was posted in one of the threads a long time ago and I have no idea what the deal with this video is but it always made me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3vB8D-SRMI

lol big fan of the nostalgia trip going on rn

was there even an attack this time? wasn't it just too many people taking their money and running (the worst cyberattack of all)

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pigbuster posted:

was there even an attack this time? wasn't it just too many people taking their money and running (the worst cyberattack of all)

Reality was the attack.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pigbuster posted:

So wait, all those folks who were like "gently caress it, I'll YOLO my last few bucks into Luna in case it recovers" will now no longer have any, since those transactions won't exist?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Crossposting this from the Tesla thread:

Bitcoin’s 50% crash erases all of Elon Musk’s gains on Tesla balance sheet

quote:

In early 2021, Elon Musk bestowed the landmark endorsement that, more than any other high-profile purchase, sent Bitcoin on a moonshot and clinched its status as a mainstream investment. Musk famously purchased $1.5 billion in the king of cryptocurrencies using spare cash on the EV maker’s balance sheet, a highly unorthodox move since most companies abhor putting their war chests at risk. In public statements, Musk and CFO Zach Kirkhorn expressed great pride in pioneering a new practice of wagering to make big money on dollars virtually every other enterprise just wants to keep safe. Kirkhorn declared on last year’s Q1 conference call that the purpose was to “get some return” on cash “not immediately being used for operations.” In a SEC filing weeks earlier, Kirkhorn went so far as adding a second title to his rank as CFO: “Master of Coin.”

But so far, the grand experiment’s proved a bust. On the morning of May 11, Bitcoin dropped below $29,400, erasing all of Musk’s once-sumptuous gains, and though it rebounded later in the day, it’s now hovering near the break-even point. Let’s review how Musk’s bet took shareholders on a roller-coaster ride so wild that it left them dizzy not from awe but dread, yet went nowhere.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://twitter.com/LegalEagle/status/1525114475535224832?t=mReDWL7HH3YT_NJWVKjX9A&s=19

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

So wait, all those folks who were like "gently caress it, I'll YOLO my last few bucks into Luna in case it recovers" will now no longer have any, since those transactions won't exist?

I believe so, yes. When Binance delists the token, they liquidate your position. If you bought Luna on Binance you no longer have that Luna.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LanceHunter posted:

yes.

they can eat poo poo for being idiots, just like all the other idiots who will eat poo poo because the currency will immediately collapse again after they roll it back.

also, everyone now knows they can and will arbitrarily gently caress over anyone and everyone using it, which should do wonders for uptake

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Could he even do that since he waived his opportunity for due diligence?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

no people will just dismiss this as an extreme case and continue throwing money into the pit like they have with every other thing that should've ruined the reputation of crypto

Khorne
May 1, 2002

LanceHunter posted:

If you put $300 into luna after the crash yesterday you would have woken up to it being worth around $0.25, a quarter, this morning.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

DarkSol posted:

Could he even do that since he waived his opportunity for due diligence?

no, he can't do that at all

so i'm sure there will be some serious repercussions when he does it anyway

just like all the other times

really though i'd love to see elon lose some huge securities fraud trial as the result of this bullshit, i feel like you could make a pretty convincing case when twitter's stock tanks in the aftermath

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

gschmidl posted:

How do they reverse transactions?

no actual on-chain trades happen when you buy or sell things on an exchange. they just increment a number in their centralized database.

if this sounds like it defeats the entire point of a blockchain, you're right.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
the first thing any bitcoin-based business has to do is figure out how to do business without using bitcoin

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

i kinda want to fix this up to make it more realistic so that someone with access to twitter crypto people can claim luna's new stabilization strategy is to redeem it for their own fiat and watch the cognitive dissonance roll in but i'm not sure it's worth the effort

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Plorkyeran posted:

no actual on-chain trades happen when you buy or sell things on an exchange. they just increment a number in their centralized database.

if this sounds like it defeats the entire point of a blockchain, you're right.

I really should've expected it and yet... :psyboom:

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

I can't believe it, after all these years someone finally said buttcoin

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
CNBC is saying this may just force Twitter to renegotiate a lower price if they're thinking the legal costs of suing would be too much.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Boxturret posted:

oh no I think the god damnit bruce not again video is gone, I had it in a playlist of funny bitcoin things and it isn't there anymore:cry:

honestly man if the last few years have taught me anything it's that you gotta pull poo poo like down onto local storage if you want to keep it. we are responsible for maintaining our own legacy.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Fabricated posted:

CNBC is saying this may just force Twitter to renegotiate a lower price if they're thinking the legal costs of suing would be too much.

they'd most likely win though and melon doesn't have the liquidity to bankroll anything of consequence it seems. i really doubt the tesla board would let him use their funds (not tied up in stock) for his fanciful twitter adventure, let alone a high powered legal team. sounds like cnbc is just invested in "it's definitely happening because husk isn't a charlatan", imo

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Fabricated posted:

Twitter gets liquidated damages to the tune of $1 billion, so that's absolutely worth the hassle. The real calculus is whether they try to force the deal to close regardless at $54, or if they think any renegotiated deal would be less valuable than taking the billion and running, minus legal costs. A lot would depend on what price target Musk would have in mind in such a scenario, a few dollars hair cut but still above 50 would be a no brainer "Yes, let's still do it," because Twitter isn't really worth $50. Below that and you might get into a bunch of shareholder suits, though there is one pending right now because a pension fund in Florida thinks the board is under-valuating it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Oh no! Our dollar cost averaging chart is showing that everyone who bought in over the last two years is underwater. There's only one thing we can do: break out the log chart!

https://twitter.com/ChartsBtc/status/1525186739211407361

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

average four simultaneous price paid same USD rotation

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

average four simultaneous price paid same USD rotation

imagine 4 prices at the edge of a cliff

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

Oh no! Our dollar cost averaging chart is showing that everyone who bought in over the last two years is underwater. There's only one thing we can do: break out the log chart!

https://twitter.com/ChartsBtc/status/1525186739211407361

there's only one thing to do! buy buy buy, lower that average!

wait what do you mean you don't have any money left, i thought bitcoin returns were guaranteed

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Beeftweeter posted:

there's only one thing to do! buy buy buy, lower that average!

wait what do you mean you don't have any money left, i thought bitcoin returns were guaranteed
zero is a valid return value

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

SubG posted:

:golfclap:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SubG posted:

I mean zero dollars is better than NaN dollars

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
https://english.elpais.com/economy-and-business/2022-05-10/el-salvador-expected-to-default-as-bitcoin-plummets.html

Bukele Bought!! The Dip!!!

What a shame.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

I mean zero dollars is better than NaN dollars

is it really? if i had NaN dollars i'm pretty sure like two thirds of all bank, atm, brokers, and PoS terminals would basically let me do any transactions and leave me with NaN dollars

they might also end up with NaN dollars in the process, so it's win-win really

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think you’ll find most [non-coiner] financial systems are specifically set up to reject any transaction with an invalid amount since everyone tried to withdraw drop table dollars or whatever on a bank 2 decades ago

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

their next payment isn't until 2023 and if there is one thing i've learned from following cryptocurrency it's that there are always enough stupid people for it to recover

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1525230658662060032

lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not so based any more

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

amazing

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

I think you’ll find most [non-coiner] financial systems are specifically set up to reject any transaction with an invalid amount since everyone tried to withdraw drop table dollars or whatever on a bank 2 decades ago

yeah maybe i've stared into the crypto abyss for too long and i'm starting to underestimate the competence of the average programmer

that's not something i ever thought i'd type but i guess here we are

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so many Internet personalities are going to pretend they didn’t spend 3 years trying to con people into this poo poo

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

yeah maybe i've stared into the crypto abyss for too long and i'm starting to underestimate the competence of the average programmer

that's not something i ever thought i'd type but i guess here we are

banks don’t have especially talented developers they’ve just been doing this poo poo for so long every obvious fuckup happened already