Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol the eagle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/KirbyCheatFurby/status/1524144899574087680?t=rNAPHwIDgKjZN76yG3-h7Q&s=19

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I didn't just find this out, but it took me a long time. For the first few Final Fantasy games i played, I had always assumed Phoenix Down was just a name. I didn't realize it was referring to the down of a phoenix until way, way later.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

that's fuckin cool

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I didn't just find this out, but it took me a long time. For the first few Final Fantasy games i played, I had always assumed Phoenix Down was just a name. I didn't realize it was referring to the down of a phoenix until way, way later.

phoenix :downs:

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

When a phoenix goes down, it gets back up. Triple entendre!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Gods console

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

now imagine 'Fenix Down' is the only thing you knew for a decade until your family computer was good enough to run the FF7 PC port

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

It ahouks be called Phoenix up

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I thought it was because you were "phoenixing" the person who had "gone down" and it was awkward phrasing due to charavrer limits like some of the enemy names and stuff

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of FF7 I only recently found out that the name of the mayor of midgar and his assistant were originally "Domino" and "Hut", and was supposed to be a joke about Midgar being a pizza. the translator missed the joke and changed it to "Hart"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

speaking of FF7 I only recently found out that the name of the mayor of midgar and his assistant were originally "Domino" and "Hut", and was supposed to be a joke about Midgar being a pizza. the translator missed the joke and changed it to "Hart"

lol

it's cause of that !@#$ing translator that people are sufferin'!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Mescal posted:

Bicyclops posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mescal posted:

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I thought it was because you were "phoenixing" the person who had "gone down" and it was awkward phrasing due to charavrer limits like some of the enemy names and stuff

This was my pretty much thought process about it!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I was going to say "echo scream" was a cool and weirdly evocative name for the item that cures Silence, I always pictured it as some kind of semi-magic herb or pill that causes a weird resonant noise that dispels whatever inflicts the silence
but it turns out it was "echo screen" so I guess I just found that out

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Lol drat nice throwback Pablo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Lol drat nice throwback Pablo

Thanks man.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol I never knew that

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I put those together after reading Harry Potter I think.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i understood it immediately when i was 10 and played the first ff on nesticle. i was born a genius though so its not fair to expect everyone else to meet my standards

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

i understood it immediately when i was 10 and played the first ff on nesticle. i was born a genius though so its not fair to expect everyone else to meet my standards

phoenix downs aren't even in the original final fantasy. name two of nobuo uematu's albums.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

phoenix downs aren't even in the original final fantasy. name two of nobuo uematu's albums.

Make him your bitch

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

maybe it was two, i dont know, it was over 20 years ago and i got bored never finished. the only other time i played a ff game was pirating the ds version of 3 in like 2006 and immediately having my will to play any other games in the series poisoned forever

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

trying to jack off posted:

maybe it was two, i dont know, it was over 20 years ago and i got bored never finished. the only other time i played a ff game was pirating the ds version of 3 in like 2006 and immediately having my will to play any other games in the series poisoned forever

the DS version of 3 is an absolute turd. I forgot all my DS games when going on holiday as a kid so I bought it in the airport and I was all I could play for two weeks. I still never got past the dungeon where you shrink down to tiny size and go inside a tree or something

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

bees x1000 posted:

Sometime in the last year I learned that Mega Man 2's Bubble Lead is pronounced like leed. For three decades I'd assumed the gray bubbles were dangerous because they were a poisonous heavy metal.

Wait what?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

welcome posted:

Wait what?

Sometime in the last year he learned that Mega Man 2's Bubble Lead is pronounced like leed. For three decades he had assumed the gray bubbles were dangerous because they were a poisonous heavy metal.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's with NES games and bubbles anyway. i feel like half of all avgn episodes on the nes feature bubble enemies or a bubble attack

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Sometime in the last year he learned that Mega Man 2's Bubble Lead is pronounced like leed. For three decades he had assumed the gray bubbles were dangerous because they were a poisonous heavy metal.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

What's with NES games and bubbles anyway. i feel like half of all avgn episodes on the nes feature bubble enemies or a bubble attack

They’re pretty and easy to draw, OP. Plus Japanese people might think they’re extra gross or dangerous when they consist of poisonous drool etc.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Larry had a traumatic experience with bubbles when he was a kid (getting trapped inside one and floating away).

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

American McGay posted:

Larry had a traumatic experience with bubbles when he was a kid (getting trapped inside one and floating away).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

American McGay posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

Lol

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

American McGay posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

American McGay posted:

lol