Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

kirbysuperstar posted:

funny considering he turned out to be a huge creeper lol

drat, that sucks to learn about him all these years later :smith:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sally posted:

Not every game needs to be LPed.

Disagree, my pokemon hunting girl or w/e LP has been my most successful so far, more views than most and has kept a 100% viewer retention rate!

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Geez... This gets blown out of proportion. I expected that maybe 1-2 users to answer my question, not sending the subforum into a crapstorm.

In my opinion, cancelling an LP outright just because 1 or 2 enemies has unusually questionable design is such an overkill reaction. Since I'm stubborn, I hope I can get the update nicely by filtering it under heavy censorship and making those enemies not exist.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Geez... This gets blown out of proportion. I expected that maybe 1-2 users to answer my question, not sending the subforum into a crapstorm.

In my opinion, cancelling an LP outright just because 1 or 2 enemies has unusually questionable design is such an overkill reaction. Since I'm stubborn, I hope I can get the update nicely by filtering it under heavy censorship and making those enemies not exist.

there's no reason to show young girls in their underwear, as it happens, and people reasonably have strong opinions on this. They also don't know if this is a one-off "okay someone made a really bad judgment call" or "actually that attitude is everywhere in the game", and so are also going to react accordingly.

If you think this was blown out of proportion and that you think this is a shitstorm of a response, I'd seriously think about your viewpoints and judgment that led you to that thought, and consider why people are reacting the way they are.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I am just glad that they had the presence of mind to ask about it first, and then (hopefully) reconsider doing it when everyone went “Ew, dude, that’s gross.”

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I was being too oblivious regarding the actual reason why it got blown out. I kept thinking of her as an enemy with unusually questionable design.

I'm truly sorry for causing this whole mess in the first place. I swear I never intended for this crapstorm.

nine-gear crow posted:

I am just glad that they had the presence of mind to ask about it first, and then (hopefully) reconsider doing it when everyone went “Ew, dude, that’s gross.”

I already reconsidered it. I replaced her sprite with Vivi from Final Fantasy IX.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 7, 2022

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Your Everyday NEET posted:

As mentioned a month or two ago (or was it longer than that? I can't even remember), this subforum is more devoid of drama/self-immolation incidents than a lot of the others. You take your rubbernecking opportunities where you can, which is why there were so many responses. We're all secretly keeping a sharp eye out for the next wesflagr or Pokemon Girls Hunter dude so we can join the communal dogpile and feel like a big happy family. That's why you need to be ever vigilant, lest you end up being at the bottom of such a pile.

*Tagging this post for future reference when I inevitably fuckup and eat my own words.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Psycho Knight posted:

the next wesflagr

Wait, who did I miss here? :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
He who wears the Richard Gamingo suit becomes the Richard Gamingo

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Psycho Knight posted:

That's why you need to be ever vigilant, lest you end up being at the bottom of such a pile.

*Tagging this post for future reference when I inevitably fuckup and eat my own words.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. *shoots up a civilian vessel full of pantsu anime girls*

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

PurpleXVI posted:

Good ol' wesflarger: https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=226013

He decided to join so he could post several youtube dumps, got probated and then made a meltdown video which has since been removed. Then he returned and posted another dump and when people called him out again he asked for help on how to make a good LP for the forum, people gave him sound advice which he completely ignored and carried on with lovely threads and more dumps, most of which ended up in the toxic waste dump. I believe he made a second meltdown video aimed at the LP forum which was also removed as he was still trying to make a name for himself here.

He proceeded to post elsewhere on the forums which quite often consisted of a lot of misogynistic and homophobic talk which promptly got him probated and banned numerous times. He made two alt accounts and continued this behaviour which also got probated and banned. He decided to make a few more meltdown videos which contained more toxic language. He then paid to unban his own account and made a post in GBS about a book that he wrote: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917402

The thread in which he ate a 100,000-hour probe is either deleted or removed from public view. The guy was a dickhead and deserved the backlash he received.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 7, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

No one.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
I'm going to be moving lpix/lparchive over to a new server tomorrow morning (12 hours from this post, ish). You shouldn't notice much disruption except that I will turn off lpix uploads right before I switch, so you won't be able to upload until the new server has propagated DNS.

If anything is broken after the switch let me know, I'll keep an eye on it to see if I spot anything myself.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

baldurk posted:

I'm going to be moving lpix/lparchive over to a new server tomorrow morning (12 hours from this post, ish). You shouldn't notice much disruption except that I will turn off lpix uploads right before I switch, so you won't be able to upload until the new server has propagated DNS.

If anything is broken after the switch let me know, I'll keep an eye on it to see if I spot anything myself.

You are literally the wind beneath my wings dude

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
x-posting this from a much worse forum

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

People still upset about that? :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's kinda amazing that one LP can be attributed to getting an entire franchise localized. That's a pretty solid achievement no matter what.

The paywall-related meltdowns are a bonus.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Seems like it's propagated in most places, let me know if anything is broken anywhere. If you go to lpix.org and it's in maintenance mode you're still getting the old site.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

It's kinda amazing that one LP can be attributed to getting an entire franchise localized. That's a pretty solid achievement no matter what.

Hell, the Drakengard LP might well be responsible for the franchise continuing at all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Drakengard 2 predates the LP, so probably not. TDI's writing style definitely influenced Drakengard 3 though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Been saying this for years, but always believe in baldurk

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Without any actual evidence to the contrary, I've decided Yakuza only continued to be localized because of my LP.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ultrafilter posted:

Drakengard 2 predates the LP, so probably not. TDI's writing style definitely influenced Drakengard 3 though.

Wow that's dire.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Namtab posted:

Been saying this for years, but always believe in baldurk

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Speaking of Drakengard, when was thedarkid's youtube nuked? Are those videos archived anywhere else or is that it?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Squenix launched a wave of channel strikes about 2 months ago ahead of deploying their own Youtube Soundtrack channel.

Said channel has the OSTS 100% in Japanese and seemingly no inclination to localize them.

I don't think anything has been saved officially, I know some people made personal backups.

I've had luck with archive.org backing up some videos which was a great help when I go through a playlist and am plagued by the "hidden unavailable videos" taunt on the top that doesn't tell me what it was before it was nuked.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm not sure if I like this new iteration of the LP curse....

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I just noticed in the one thread of 1.8gb of old S.A. stuff being recovered that a bunch of the Freelance Astronauts stuff was up for grabs - is there a link to those vids here? I saw that Danaru was interested in preserving them.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm trying to remember an old LP I wanted to watch again, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called. It was a co-op video LP with some very old sprited graphics that you ran around like it was doom. Picked up carrots to have a moment of night vision, the weird emotes you could do at each other (Hurrah. :geno:) and a banshee miniboss with corrupted audio that made it sound like it was farting towards you.\\

Edit: And not even 2 minutes later I find it. I'm leaving this here though to preserve my derp, and maybe share it with some other folks. It was Amulets and Armor. On the LP archive like usual, thanks Baldurk.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Squenix launched a wave of channel strikes about 2 months ago ahead of deploying their own Youtube Soundtrack channel.

Said channel has the OSTS 100% in Japanese and seemingly no inclination to localize them.

I don't think anything has been saved officially, I know some people made personal backups.

I've had luck with archive.org backing up some videos which was a great help when I go through a playlist and am plagued by the "hidden unavailable videos" taunt on the top that doesn't tell me what it was before it was nuked.
What really annoys me is that about 50% of the time you'll get a title for a video that's unavailable, and you might have the necessary info to search for it elsewhere. And the other 50% there's just nothing there. No idea if there's some sort of logic involved or just pure arbitrary bullshit.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

FeyerbrandX posted:

This is something that drives me absolutely crazy with YouTube. Just let me click on that prompt and see what videos are gone so that I know what I'm missing!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Xander77 posted:

pure arbitrary bullshit

:thunk:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Psycho Knight posted:

This is something that drives me absolutely crazy with YouTube. Just let me click on that prompt and see what videos are gone so that I know what I'm missing!
I seem to remember still being able to access the (grayed-out) videos on mobile sometimes, I think, but not in Chrome. I know that if you can get the unique video-identifying string from the link in your playlist (or wherever), you can sometimes have luck Googling that just to find out what video it used to be.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Hi!

We are a group of forums Mafia players over at the Trad Games subforum, and we're running one such game as a cross-forums event in the Games forum.

We're looking for players who want to learn or just try something new! Game is completely newbie-friendly, and we'll have people helping you get started and solving all of your doubts. If you have ever played Werewolf, Town of Salem or real life Mafia, it is that, but in forum game version. If you want to join, just tell us over there!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Shellception posted:

Hi!

We are a group of forums Mafia players over at the Trad Games subforum, and we're running one such game as a cross-forums event in the Games forum.

We're looking for players who want to learn or just try something new! Game is completely newbie-friendly, and we'll have people helping you get started and solving all of your doubts. If you have ever played Werewolf, Town of Salem or real life Mafia, it is that, but in forum game version. If you want to join, just tell us over there!

You may want to post this in the New LPs thread to get more visibility: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722993

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

That Italian Guy posted:

You may want to post this in the New LPs thread to get more visibility: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722993

oh yah! you should definitely do this too!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Sally posted:

oh yah! you should definitely do this too!

Sure! Thanks to both of you!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is kind of a weird question but I've been thinking of making a new LP after several years gone and a name change, and the game that I would be interested in doing is Red Candle Games' excellent Detention. However, since it is an *incredibly* political game I'm concerned that the thread is going to just fill up with bad posters getting probated for bad posts. Is the SALP subforum, idk, "mature" enough to handle something like that?

My intention is to present the topic as the game presents it, with some historical background on the White Terror on a high level to set the stage. But as I am not a historian I don't plan on getting into the weeds, so to speak. The main focus of the LP is going to be the actions of the characters and their interpersonal conflicts, not the politics.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 5, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm unfamiliar with Detention, but I LP'd Disco Elysium, which is also extremely political, with no real issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is kind of a weird question but I've been thinking of making a new LP after several years gone and a name change, and the game that I would be interested in doing is Red Candle Games' excellent Detention. However, since it is an *incredibly* political game I'm concerned that the thread is going to just fill up with bad posters getting probated for bad posts. Is the SALP subforum, idk, "mature" enough to handle something like that?

My intention is to present the topic as the game presents it, with some historical background on the White Terror on a high level to set the stage. But as I am not a historian I don't plan on getting into the weeds, so to speak. The main focus of the LP is going to be the actions of the characters and their interpersonal conflicts, not the politics.

I think you should generally expect that most of the posters are going to be left-wing, so if the game, uh, glorifies anything right-wing, then it might start a shitfest(and justifiably so).

On the other hand if it actually has a humane and intelligent take on things, then posters might join in to ask questions or expand on things the game/poster touches on, but not start throwing rocks.