Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How do I beat this spaceman guy with with the robots because I've gone from mostly enjoying P5R to never wanting to play it again in the space of one lovely boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sakurazuka posted:

How do I beat this spaceman guy with with the robots because I've gone from mostly enjoying P5R to never wanting to play it again in the space of one lovely boss.

Just hit weakness and pass for the boosts? That fights a pretty straight forward dps race until THE BIG MAN and then it's just kind of a basic fight

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Einander posted:

As far as tips go: move the MC out of the first slot of the party if you're doing a physical build. Magic is better at getting press turns.

I played that game for like 80 hours, and I somehow never figured you could do that.:anime:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay how do I make my dps high enough to kill the blue robots and big green robots in two turns before they reset and I have to start again because currently it is apparently not.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Okay how do I make my dps high enough to kill the blue robots and big green robots in two turns before they reset and I have to start again because currently it is apparently not.

You want to make sure you get a full baton pass boost whenever you can, so this is the fight where you actually use all those elemental attack items so you can hit the robots' weaknesses on characters that don't have access to the right spells. There's four robots at once, so for each turn you should use three single target spells on different characters to build up baton pass then use two multi-target spells in a row. Switching to merciless difficulty can also make that part of the fight easier, since it makes hitting weaknesses do a lot more damage, though you should still be able to do it on normal or hard with proper baton passing.

But yeah that's the worst fight in the game by far, I have no idea why they decided to make it like that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I remember in the base game it was a pretty forgettable boss fight sounds like they went too far and made it over complex

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

It's not really that it's complex, it's that there's a big emphasis on doing a lot of damage to a group of enemies in a small number of turns and there's not really any other fights that function as that kind of dps check so you may be totally unprepared for it when you get to that fight.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you change the difficulty to Merciless, weakness and critical hits will do 3x damage, in case you're still stuck.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

HGH posted:

I think it's good to have it for completion's sake. Nothing wrong with SNES and GBA ports but the PS1 has 3D backgrounds and CD audio (worse and better depending on the track) so it'll offer a different experience at least. I know certain people just wanna try the PS1 version for the novelty of it.
Plus there's always someone working on filling in the gaps of untranslated media if a series is big enough, whether as a personal project or out of public interest. Can't fault the passion there.

yea thats true too, honestly its p cool that the megaten games people were writing off as 'pie in the sky, never gonna get tled' a few years back are like, actually getting translated into english nowadays :)

now i need to keep praying for the rest of the obscure megatens and the majin tensei manga to finish getting tled please god its been like 2 years since vol 1 aaaaaaAAAAA :shepface:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

SpiderLink posted:

Isn't Strange Journey a mainline game?

It's not set in Tokyo, so no it isn't. That's why it doesn't have a number.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

But consider that II is set on Tokyo instead of in

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Welp. Guess I'll just never beat Nocturne. My save file is gone and I don't have any motivation to play it all over again. That sucks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Welp. Guess I'll just never beat Nocturne. My save file is gone and I don't have any motivation to play it all over again. That sucks.

Oh wow, that sucks. What system are you on? I would give you mine but I just have it on Steam. Also I probably got a different ending than you were going for

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Ate you full baton passing? Because that alone should let you clear out the waves as you go.

It's a pretty easy fight if you've mastered that system.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No because I forgot damage items existed so I never passed to the two characters who couldn't hit weaknesses. Having never really needed to before I didnt realise it upped your damage that much.

E: is there anywhere you can buy basic spell items as I'm not sure I have enough.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 17, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
imagine how much worse Persona would be as a series if it was based on Freudian psychology instead of Jungian

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Attack and Dethrone Mom

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Terper posted:

Attack and Dethrone Mom

Mother Harlot indeed.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

ONE MORE DAD REJECTED

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

KonvexKonkav posted:

ONE MORE DAD REJECTED

That's just Persona 2

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

No because I forgot damage items existed so I never passed to the two characters who couldn't hit weaknesses. Having never really needed to before I didnt realise it upped your damage that much.

E: is there anywhere you can buy basic spell items as I'm not sure I have enough.

I don't know how you got so far into the game.wothout realizing baton passing 8s a massive damage game. There's like 2 tutorials for it and it turns the boss fights into fun rushes instead of a slog of back and forth chip damage and healing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's been incredibly easy so far?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It still is if you baton pass.

Also it's just faster to have been passing since it denies enemies turns since it allows you to generate more half turns passing around after generating one.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh wow, that sucks. What system are you on? I would give you mine but I just have it on Steam. Also I probably got a different ending than you were going for

I had it on Switch, I grabbed it for like 15 bucks at Gamestop during their post Christmas sale (and then bought the Maniax DLC for 10 bucks more, still a really good deal). Was kind of hoping I could get back into my Nintendo account so I could at least still have the cloud backup but it looks like that's not going to happen.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Junpei posted:

I'm sorry for wanting homo/transphobic things Gone, Completely And Utterly

Nope sorry apparently that's evil because hmmm mmm hhhmmm mmmmm mmm hhh

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

You're very stupid and missed like every post talking about it if that is your take away.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 18, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're very stupid

Yeah sure

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUxzbnKKzf8

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://youtu.be/yLRv0b6wJlA

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

u good?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzIrfB9rLPM

Yahtzee talks about why he likes Persona despite not being a big JRPG guy: It turns out, he doesn't like any one aspect in particular but likes the stew/blend of it all together in concert.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I didn’t know Yahtzee was still active

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He just put out a review of rogue legacy 2 this week

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I know Jujutsu Kaisen and One Piece, and the one second to right says Attack on Titan, but what's the second-to-left one?

Also I'm really not sure what is so different about JK or OP, especially OP, from most anime. Like, its characters aren't especially original. Its main claim to fame, and why I like it, is that it's written very well. Its a great story executed to near perfection. So, to me, OP isn't doing anything radically different from most anime, it's just....better written in what it's doing, if that makes sense.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

So I know Jujutsu Kaisen and One Piece, and the one second to right says Attack on Titan, but what's the second-to-left one?

Demon Slayer

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sam Faust posted:

Demon Slayer

Thank you.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I'm really not sure what is so different about JK or OP, especially OP, from most anime. Like, its characters aren't especially original. Its main claim to fame, and why I like it, is that it's written very well. Its a great story executed to near perfection. So, to me, OP isn't doing anything radically different from most anime, it's just....better written in what it's doing, if that makes sense.

2 things, lol, demon slayer is literally the biggest anime in the entire world. funny one not to know.

also was yahtzee trolling when he said "I like the ones not everyone likes" and then showed the 4 of the most popular anime around? Is he saying those are the ones he doesn't like? It's like saying I only like the movies that do something special and showing th eposters of the last 4 mcu movies, lol.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mirello posted:

2 things, lol, demon slayer is literally the biggest anime in the entire world. funny one not to know.

also was yahtzee trolling when he said "I like the ones not everyone likes" and then showed the 4 of the most popular anime around? Is he saying those are the ones he doesn't like? It's like saying I only like the movies that do something special and showing th eposters of the last 4 mcu movies, lol.

I don't think he was saying they were unpopular, just different. Persona is popular but he gave an example of how it and EarthBound aren't going to the four temples of the four elements and then likened this to those anime. So presumably Attack on Titan at least is structured differently than most other anime, or so is my interpretation of what he was getting at.

It's like Death Note. Death Note was super popular but also very different from is competitors like Naruto and Bleach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Weird comparison for Earthbound because for most of the game you are going around a bunch of shines collecting the magic macguffin, the difference is in the setting.