Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/pixar/status/1526200930743398406?s=21

Ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Women be crazy and need to relax, the movie?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I’ll be interested to see how this differentiates itself in terms of structure and joke design from Inside Out

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was wondering if they're doing a play on "mental"

but then I had that same question

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Water. Earth. Fire. Air.

Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar, master of all four elements, could stop them, but when the world needed him most, he vanished.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Can't wait to see this concept get overexplained and joked about for the first 5 minutes of the movie, then mostly just turn into a buddy comedy for the rest of it.

Am I being overly cynical? Probably. But they're really developing a bad track record for doing way more world building than is actually required for whatever story they're trying to tell.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

Water. Earth. Fire. Air.

Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar, master of all four elements, could stop them, but when the world needed him most, he vanished.
I saw a lot of snark about ATLA in the comments on Pixar’s tweet but ATLA wasn’t about a firey fire nation lady learning to live with a mellow water nation guy… although maybe there’s a big Azula/Sokka shipping fandom I’m unaware of

The pitch as presented via tweet sounds really really basic so I need to know what the real story entails because otherwise this feels almost too old school Pixar for me

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

This feels like a parody.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The 7th Guest posted:

I saw a lot of snark about ATLA in the comments on Pixar’s tweet but ATLA wasn’t about a firey fire nation lady learning to live with a mellow water nation guy… although maybe there’s a big Azula/Sokka shipping fandom I’m unaware of

Zuko/Sokka was the ship for real fans. :smugbert:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Fire is so hard to animate well. If they are going to have their main character be made of fire, they must have some cool tech. Bet it will look great.

I guess it could be, women be crazy. It could also be, men are the most dangerous thing to women. Not exactly enough info to judge it one way or another. An extremely ungenerous read of Turning Reds premise could be just as hackneyed and offensive after all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

imo it'd go over better if we had an idea of what the actual movie will look like, not just some concept art

Here's the way they revealed Turning Red:

https://twitter.com/Pixar/status/1337194975734292480

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I find it kinda funny that Water Bro is encouraging Fire Lady to chill out while being blissfully unaware that Fire Ladies gotta be vigilant because Water Bros can literally kill them.

We live in a society.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm more tired of the Twitter comedy geniuses that post the WHAT IF CARS HAD EMOTIONS WHAT IF EMOTIONS HAD EMOTIONS WHAT IF MONSTERS HAD EMOTIONS WHAT IF thing over and over again.

Ya know what's cool about animation? That you just aren't constrained to humans and anything can be given a voice and personality. WHAT IF ELEMENTS HAD EMOTIONS shut the gently caress up.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Wittgen posted:

X is so hard to animate well. If they are going to have their [main character and/or world] be made of X, they must have some cool tech. Bet it will look great.

I'm pretty sure that's the initial design pitch for literally every Pixar movie. :v:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This seems like a slide backward compared to Turning Red but who knows. I just hope the ppl at the top aren't surrounded by tons of yes men these days.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

New from Pixar in 2026: meet Ro the rock, Sham the paper, and Beau the scissors! Can they all get along?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
what if a [throws dart] elbow fell in love with a [throws another dart] buttcheek

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

New from Pixar in 2026: meet Ro the rock, Sham the paper, and Beau the scissors! Can they all get along?

1-2 hours later: poo poo UP IM NOT CRYING YOU’RE CRYING!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

readingatwork posted:

1-2 hours later: poo poo UP IM NOT CRYING YOU’RE CRYING!

Beau: Hey Sham, maybe you can fold yourself into a pair of wings and use my weight to steer you across the river!
Sham: But if you move just slightly wrong, it will kill us both!
Beau: Hey Sham, trust me! I'm very careful.
*10 minutes later*
snip
Sham: Beau, you fool! Now we'll both die!
Beau: I am sorry. It is my nature.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

My god Pixar's The Scorpion and the Frog would be amazing

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'd love to see a hard truth about a toxic person's nature and extracting yourself from someone that isn't interested in changing themself, but that might be a little much for an all-ages movie. Even if it's a lesson all kids need to learn. :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, MLP did it

They kinda walked it back years later in a redemption arc sort of thing, but for a long time it stood as a moral of "some people are just lovely and don't deserve your friendship"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Scorpion is a jaded out of work actor and the frog is their stalwart agent. Watch as they apiralninto madness together

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Is this a new Pixar or a new Bojack Horseman?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
semi-related to animation I guess, but I just saw this in the other tweets below that pixar one and boy, I really did not know what character was going to show up next
https://twitter.com/multiversus/status/1526185742690664449

I did think it was cute when superman showed up, tried to say his classic catchphrase, and then the iron giant interrupted him to finish it :3:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Warner bros loves putting the Iron giant in combat situations huh

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Embracing the Meme Shaggy I see

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macaluso posted:

I'm more tired of the Twitter comedy geniuses that post the WHAT IF CARS HAD EMOTIONS WHAT IF EMOTIONS HAD EMOTIONS WHAT IF MONSTERS HAD EMOTIONS WHAT IF thing over and over again.

Ya know what's cool about animation? That you just aren't constrained to humans and anything can be given a voice and personality. WHAT IF ELEMENTS HAD EMOTIONS shut the gently caress up.

what if they existed in a workplace bureaucracy

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

what if they existed in a workplace bureaucracy

So like real talk I'm a total sucker for that trope that Pixar loves so much so hell yeah keep doing it

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I was like who's that Arya Stark looking toon, and it is Arya Stark. Who knew! She didn't even have a cartoon, but that's okay.

I guess a novel is just a graphic novel without doodles.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Macaluso posted:

I thought Pixar's thing was WHAT IF THING WAS A BUREAUCRACY

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Magic Hate Ball posted:

what if a [throws dart] elbow fell in love with a [throws another dart] buttcheek

Holy gently caress it sounds dangerous to be a Pixar intern

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Okay, but what if, instead of fire lady and water guy, it was fire lady and water lady? Or, alternatively, fire guy and water guy.

The world is ready for it I feel.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Heavy Metal posted:

I was like who's that Arya Stark looking toon, and it is Arya Stark. Who knew! She didn't even have a cartoon, but that's okay.

I guess a novel is just a graphic novel without doodles.

The roster isn't just limited to comics and cartoons!

According to a leaked roster from a while back (that's slowly looking more and more like it's real) we're also getting characters like Mad Max, LeBron James, Gandalf, and Harry Potter.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

WB owns a LOT of IPs

Steven and Garnet are in it, we know that Rick and Morty have been datamined, so it appears that Cartoon Network and Adult Swim are all fair game.

So consider this:

Shake, Meatwad & Frylock and Pim & Charlie in Multiversus

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay, but what if, instead of fire lady and water guy, it was fire lady and water lady? Or, alternatively, fire guy and water guy.

Fun fact: the comments are full of Nazis getting super pissy over the idea that maybe we don’t need yet another generic love story about straight people.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Or, alternatively, fire guy and water guy.

Pixar’s Flaming, coming Summer 2024

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

also Adventure Time already did Fire Lady

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 17, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vandar posted:

The roster isn't just limited to comics and cartoons!

According to a leaked roster from a while back (that's slowly looking more and more like it's real) we're also getting characters like Mad Max, LeBron James, Gandalf, and Harry Potter.

Of course Neil C was there first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

What if water guy was gender fluid?