Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Third World Reagan posted:

I would fully expect a CA game to do worse.

As is their MO, they launch a buggy mess, work on it for years, and polish that dang turd into a good game.

tw1 and 2 were fun to play at launch, this one isn't. i don't have any solid stats but losing 95% of your players in three months seems bad, with less players playing both games than were playing the second one before launch.

but idk i hope you're right, i'm resigned to waiting for a long time for it to be good now so hopefully it will be some day :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Foul Fowl posted:

I don't have any solid stats but losing 95% of your players in three months seems bad,

This is an almost meaningless number. The "more people playing WH2 than 3 daily" has some weight, but almost no game launches with a high number they maintain forever without getting into standards that don't really apply here, i.e. Wrath of the Lich King era WoW.

The drop is very dramatic and larger than it would have been if the release WH3 was better but almost every game has a huge launch, people play it, then they stop playing it. As WH3 does not cost enough money to need a subscription setup or something to function this is not a fault that all the dudes who ran in, banged out a normal campaign with their favorite faction and left are not playing the game slavishly day after day.

For reference virtually every fighting game experiences this sort of opening and drop, though I understand that the genre and set up(almost exclusively pvp) doesn't cross over cleanly. Just an example. The make or break for WH3 is dlc sales and word of mouth adding to lifetime sales when IE hits.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Foul Fowl posted:

tw1 and 2 were fun to play at launch, this one isn't. i don't have any solid stats but losing 95% of your players in three months seems bad, with less players playing both games than were playing the second one before launch.

but idk i hope you're right, i'm resigned to waiting for a long time for it to be good now so hopefully it will be some day :pray:

TW2 was vortex at launch. It was not fun.

TW1 had some balance issues at launch. Some of it was fun.

TW3 has a good multiplayer mode. It is fun.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hey guys, lets go face lizards. Oh a full stack of dinosaurs. Oh look at all them blessed units.

Well lets ignore them and do a ritual. Oh no....

I hope you were not helfs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It looks very dire because Ham 2 had really unusual player counts by comparison. Iirc some of the DLC drops even skyrocketed higher than release day?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

TW1 balance went between blue tide and green tide for so long. Also remember goblin units with spinning loons at launch?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It looks very dire because Ham 2 had really unusual player counts by comparison. Iirc some of the DLC drops even skyrocketed higher than release day?

Yes. WH2 gained players over time and had their peak player count after one of the DLCs, though I dont remember which.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Third World Reagan posted:

TW2 was vortex at launch. It was not fun.

TW1 had some balance issues at launch. Some of it was fun.

TW3 has a good multiplayer mode. It is fun.

idk, vortex was a lot more ignorable than the chaos realms, i think? it's been so long since it came out, i just remember not minding it as much. but i guess releasing the same game for the second time instead of the third time will do that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Foul Fowl posted:

idk, vortex was a lot more ignorable than the chaos realms, i think? it's been so long since it came out, i just remember not minding it as much. but i guess releasing the same game for the second time instead of the third time will do that.

You could go the entire game without ever touching a Vortex ritual because every time another faction tried the finale you could warp to them and fight the interception battle from anywhere, and if you won it that faction was removed from the race permanently with no way to recover. This meant that Vortex was effectively miniature mortal empires because the gimmick objective was 100% optional and never needed to be interacted with until you felt like it. You could ignore it until you painted the entire map if you wanted.

Hell, until the Potion of Speed update, if I wanted to play as a TWW2 race, I would frequently play vortex because back then there weren't many starts where a TWW2 race would really interact with the old world, the turn times were much better, and the ME map really crunched the hell out of Ulthuan/Lustria/Naggaroth/Southlands. I'd just play it like Mortal Empires and it worked completely fine because the race wasn't a race at all.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 16, 2022

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Yeah for me Vortex was not fun at all, but you could ignore it and play as you liked on a good map.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I actually liked the vortex when I thought it was a race. Rushing Teclis around the map to snag ritual resource sites and stomp the enemy races' ritual cities was fun. Plus, the skaven rocket reveal was pretty drat good the first time. If the chaos mortals roster was less boring and there was some indication of where the ritual stacks would spawn...

Overall I like the direction of the narrative campaigns, with all the flavour, cutscenes, and different playstyles than "snowball," they just haven't quite landed it yet.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 16, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Turn times for Vortex were (and are) also stupid fast. I feel like TWWH3 turn times are longer?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Anecdotally myself and several friends are part of the 95% who "quit" or whatever the assertion is. I played my 60ish hours and I got what I wanted out of what's available right now. I do not think it's a bad game, in fact I liked it, and all of us plan to continue playing when more is added. It doesn't mean we hate the game and have abandoned it forever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I exist in the limbo zone where I really dislike TWW3 in its current form and am hugely disappointed in it, but I am totally willing to put faith in them fixing most of my issues with it and am simply waiting for them to do so. Their post-launch content team has been mostly incredible throughout the TWW series's life cycle and I see no reason to think that has changed.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Anecdotally myself and several friends are part of the 95% who "quit" or whatever the assertion is. I played my 60ish hours and I got what I wanted out of what's available right now. I do not think it's a bad game, in fact I liked it, and all of us plan to continue playing when more is added. It doesn't mean we hate the game and have abandoned it forever.

same, I've quietly dropped it until fall at the earliest. I got back into Stellaris and that can keep me occupied for a long time. The only change as a result of the poor rollout from CA's side is I'll wait to get DLCs when they're on sale, instead of always buying every DLC at its release, like I did with WH2.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I actually can't think of another game that's done post-release content as well as WH2. It sets a good precedent.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Also, yes, exactly that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ZeusJupitar posted:

IIRC it was the same guy who accused CA of deliberately hamstringing the Rome 1 remaster to give themselves an excuse not to make Medi 3 or remaster Medi 2.

Hahaha. I know the guys who made the Rome 1 remaster. CA didn't have to hamstring poo poo.

E:

Tirranek posted:

The impression I got was that most people had gone back to WH2 because it's currently much more comprehensive, has more factions, and has the ME map.

Yup, 5 of the factions share units. The other three are "lothern sea guard" "better empire" and "ogres" (which are a new gimmick, granted). I've also gone back to TW2 for more variety but i miss the QOL changes and the outpost system.

Foul Fowl posted:

I don't have any solid stats but losing 95% of your players in three months seems bad

This stat literally means gently caress all. What's important to companies is the number of hours played and how many refunded. I bet the answer for that is nowhere near 95%. It's probably not even at 5%. Someone who's played 200 hours and gone "after i've played this to death, its boring" doesn't even register for most companies. That's far beyond the scope they expect you to play.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Also this. I don't know anyone outside of these forums who've gone "nah gently caress warham 3, i'm never getting a dlc". Everyone's just gonna wait for IE. CA are absolutely fine with this.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 16, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Total War Warhammer 3 - I track how many people play a game I don’t like

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Twigand Berries posted:

Total War Warhammer 3 - I track how many people play a game I don’t like

-Archaon the Everchosen

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

dogstile posted:

This stat literally means gently caress all. What's important to companies is the number of hours played and how many refunded. I bet the answer for that is nowhere near 95%. It's probably not even at 5%. Someone who's played 200 hours and gone "after i've played this to death, its boring" doesn't even register for most companies. That's far beyond the scope they expect you to play.

i think it's an interesting stat when you look at the state of the game, which is what we were talking about. not about whatever you're talking about. the company's bottom line doesn't have a big effect on how much i enjoy a game.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah I don't know how useful a metric comparing WH3 to WH2 numbers is right now. WH2 has the advantage of literal years of patching/content and also years of going on sale repeatedly. WH3 has never gone on sale and is currently lacking the same amount of content. It's kind of an apples to oranges situation.

Once IE finally drops, it will be interesting to see the numbers there, but until then... meh, there are other games for me to play right now.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Also WH3 is on gamepass so just looking at the steam numbers could be missing a lot of data.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2799774034&searchtext=Epidemius+%26+Mortal+Warriors+of+Nurgle
Nurgle unit mod, wonder how the game would play with every race getting some unit mods haha.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
*The long hidden and contractually challenged fifth Chaos God Malal emerges from his slumber*

Ha ha ha! You nerds like a game that is bad! Everything you enjoy is not as good as it once was or will ever be again!

TURN AGAINST YOUR OLD MASTERS AND ACCEPT MY GIFTS

*Plays Medieval 2*

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
*reinforcement stack that took 5 turns to train and get to the front lines randomly turns rebel because it wasn't being led by a general*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I did a few vortex campaigns staying on target to win the race and enjoyed it. It forced you to do some things that were risky and that was fun to me. I also liked that you could basically ignore it and just stomp anyone that tried to start the final ritual.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Remember those units in game 1 that took two turns to recruit that they moved to one turn

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I really wanted to like wh3, but the unit responsiveness problem was far too frustrating. It felt like orders were mere suggestions and more often or not, units would stand around doing nothing or even worse, expose their backs.

Flying units are pretty bad too with the whole flap around in circles and never attack thing. Ranged units are nerfed by their inability to attack, and holy hell, the seige map tower placement is really, really, bad. Like if you really hate that one house in particular, go ahead and build the tower next to it so it can blast away at the surrounding buildings, but many of them are just scenery.

The optimization is pretty crap too and it crashes where i never had a problem in either previous game. Idk, it will probably get better someday, but I beat the fantastic ogre campaign and went back to 2. I think acting like these aren't real issues isn't helpful. I want to like the game, but it's not fun to play.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I really wanted to like wh3, but the unit responsiveness problem was far too frustrating. It felt like orders were mere suggestions and more often or not, units would stand around doing nothing or even worse, expose their backs.

yeah, this is absolutely brutal. It's one design choice among several, like sieges and autoresolve issues, that I just cannot understand. I'm not saying this is what happened but it's like someone was there pointing out how to make the game slower, more tedious and less fun.

and, before anyone says anything, if a full garrison can't stand up to a five stack of crap without being wiped and losing the settlement, that is a stupid design choice. It's not about painting the map for me and never has been. Forcing so many boring, tedious siege battles is redundant and slow. Not everyone has the time to fight every single battle, waiting for the load screens on each end, on maps (another design choice) that make no loving sense.

A key metric they SHOULD be paying attention to is how many dedicated streamers are moving on to other content.

That said, land battle supremacy in multiplayer. Domination battles... woof.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

*reinforcement stack that took 5 turns to train and get to the front lines randomly turns rebel because it wasn't being led by a general*

Still fondly remember entire factions dying off in those games because you killed all their family members so everyone just shrugged and gave up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/twwh3-update120/

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Very cool RoRs, crane gunners are now jezzail+++(penetrates infantry!), auto resolve changes including linked to battle instead of campaign difficulty, anti player bias reduced, loads of balancing, some tech tree updates(but not touching stuff like Cathay ports, lmao), spell caster sems are being swapped to limited charge free spells instead of sharing WoM pool(thank god), some Greasus buffs but they're just costs/flat numbers instead of addressing the slow elephant sized wagon in the room, a bunch of other little bug fixes including funny stuff like WH 1-2 ai factions couldn't get rift protection in campaign.

Another nice step forward.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Silly to try and make giants more attractive by giving them missile resistance. I mean that helps but still why pick a giant over any other large monster (ogres or other factions)? They should give giants something else that makes them special like increased splash attack or something

The change for non lord greater deamons spells is great

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's a good patch with a lot of necessary changes and good QoL. "Lords/heroes automatically get their mounts instead of spending points on them" is such a no-brainer change that I'm honestly surprised it was never implemented before.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

It's like every patch I get to turn off like two or three more mods let's get this poo poo under 20 mods CA

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

they have buffed giants a few times and each time it is just lol

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
According to Legend, from what he said with the developers the focus is on getting Immortal Empires out ASAP and in the best state possible and keeping the game supported in patches that are low effort impact (Not making tremendous changes) but can substantially improve things for players.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Giants should just be the slower but way more tanky large unit imo. So giving them missile resist on top of their large healthpool is a good step. I sure do wish there were armored variants of giants though

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Big fan of Maneater ogres with huge imperial feathery hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

kanonvandekempen posted:

Big fan of Maneater ogres with huge imperial feathery hats

Which means they probably went to a hatter in Nuln and commissioned them specially :3: