Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

in forex trading it has been empirically shown that an automated loss-exit strategy is a net positive in the long run. however, this strategy is counter to natural human behavior.

basically, if you set every trade to cash out immediately at a small loss or large gain, you'll take a lot of tiny losses but gain more than enough on winners to make up for it. however, humans suffer from what is known as the disposition effect. so when a human watches the trade, even if they set stop losses or take profits at the start of the trade, they'll cut winners too soon and hold onto losers forever if they can change their stop loss.

the people who started yelling diamond hands at others were, in large part, making sure that the bagholders they were duping kept holding the bags long enough for them to make money off of it. people on wallstreetbets aren't just jackasses off the street. a loving bloomberg terminal is tens of thousands of dollars a month. all the meme stock and crypto poo poo has been predatory from the start.

i would like to see this empirical study because as you've described it, it doesn't sound likely that it's accurate. forex is a negative-sum game (once you include the house's cut, like all commodities trading). so it seems much more likely to me that in the particular sample studied that was true, but that if you repeated the game in other samples you would get different results. that would be expected simply based on how you described it, the strategy's effectiveness would swing wildly based on how many rare "hits" you have in the sample size.

the only way you can have a net positive strategy in a net negative game like forex is if you have an information advantage (not present here, but you can have it in other circumstances like blackjack card counting), or the other side has managed to develop a strategy provably worse than average and insists on using it (and that seems unlikely).

after all if the study you're describing is true, goldman would code it into a bot and let the bot trade, as would its competitors, until all the profit from that strategy was squeezed out of the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

market makers don't need bots because 1.) they get the spread and 2.) they can pre-trade any really big deals if they want [although a deal big enough to impact an actual currency is super rare nowadays]

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

i would like to see this empirical study because as you've described it, it doesn't sound likely that it's accurate. forex is a negative-sum game (once you include the house's cut, like all commodities trading). so it seems much more likely to me that in the particular sample studied that was true, but that if you repeated the game in other samples you would get different results. that would be expected simply based on how you described it, the strategy's effectiveness would swing wildly based on how many rare "hits" you have in the sample size.

the only way you can have a net positive strategy in a net negative game like forex is if you have an information advantage (not present here, but you can have it in other circumstances like blackjack card counting), or the other side has managed to develop a strategy provably worse than average and insists on using it (and that seems unlikely).

after all if the study you're describing is true, goldman would code it into a bot and let the bot trade, as would its competitors, until all the profit from that strategy was squeezed out of the market.

responded via pm rather than continuing a derail in the buttcoin thread.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
forex trading is absolutely rigged either way. iirc deutsche bank and barclays (both in london) had a system going where they'd tip eachother off on currency movement, allowing both to absolutely clean up even in the event of a horrifyingly bad trade

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I have funged your ape, pray that I do not funge it further

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

has any said "marky marks and the fungible bunch" yet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Beeftweeter posted:

forex trading is absolutely rigged either way. iirc deutsche bank and barclays (both in london) had a system going where they'd tip eachother off on currency movement, allowing both to absolutely clean up even in the event of a horrifyingly bad trade

all gambling is rigged against the gambler.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Escape From Noise posted:

Oh it's happening!

Lol. This article.

"As I described in an earlier article, the artwork is really important when I buy a collectible or piece of art that I intend on holding for a long time. It needs to be interesting and unique enough to stand out and attract and maintain a large audience, and ideally be something people want to show off, thus acting as promoters for the project.

The Gambling Apes artwork is of really high quality. The apes themselves are super well done and the discrete background illustrations add a nice visual element."

https://www.gamblingapes.com/
lol

e: also check out the link he posted to the NFT he bought https://opensea.io/assets/0x90ca8a3eb2574f937f514749ce619fdcca187d45/5900

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

responded via pm rather than continuing a derail in the buttcoin thread.
we're going to need something to talk about itt when the crypto market has its death fart; hfts are good enough

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

lmao:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

shackleford posted:

so it looks like about 9% of the tether market cap has been redeemed in the past week

very normal looking pattern

lol

lol I never did get that 1500 dollars in tether out

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shageletic posted:

hodl fool, don't be a weak handed bitch

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Oh it's happening!

Lol. This article.

"As I described in an earlier article, the artwork is really important when I buy a collectible or piece of art that I intend on holding for a long time. It needs to be interesting and unique enough to stand out and attract and maintain a large audience, and ideally be something people want to show off, thus acting as promoters for the project.

The Gambling Apes artwork is of really high quality. The apes themselves are super well done and the discrete background illustrations add a nice visual element."

pretty sure those "discrete background illustrations" are just a bunch of clip art lol

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Gazpacho posted:

they comin for you circle (grim reaper meme)

I'm the 107% APY

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Oh it's happening!

Lol. This article.

That loving monkey is high as balls

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

this is probably a dumb question but why do stable coins have an APY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shame Boy posted:

the theory of stablecoins is that they remain stable as a consequence of a set of overlapping incentives that produces free money

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

there'd be no reason to hold them otherwise. part of the grift is "guaranteed" returns

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Shame Boy posted:

what's the point of anything if i don't get money for doing nothing with it?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

The Wisest Moron posted:

I'm the 107% APY

goddamn, i missed this. isn't that coinbase's thing? they must be loving desperate, jfc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shageletic posted:

tbh, this is probably the best outcome you could have hoped for

worst ever at ping-pong
Jun 11, 2010

wait… what? So someone gives $1 to PegCoin LLC and receive 1 pegcoin on the promise that by the end of the year, it will “yield” 2 pegcoins that you can redeem for $2.

but if every pegcoin is backed by $1… where did pegcoin llc get the extra money to cover the yield? they can’t squeeze latecomers for ever-higher entry costs because the price of buying in doesn’t change!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
better have two latecomers for every person they need to pay out, then

literally just a ponzi scheme

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao

https://twitter.com/sethgreen/status/1526588358859759617?s=21&t=QK-m2JDVgLEupOq8u5BsyQ

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

:laffo:

seth green is a lovely person and i am glad his apes got swiped

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

weird that he keeps claiming its his ape. the immutable blockchain says it's darkwing84's

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
not your keys, not your apes

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1526540231561793538

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1526633363351564288

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Shame Boy posted:

it's there so you can gauge the risk associated with each coin - reinventing government bonds and money market accounts, but way shittier once again

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

worst ever at ping-pong posted:

wait… what? So someone gives $1 to PegCoin LLC and receive 1 pegcoin on the promise that by the end of the year, it will “yield” 2 pegcoins that you can redeem for $2.

but if every pegcoin is backed by $1… where did pegcoin llc get the extra money to cover the yield? they can’t squeeze latecomers for ever-higher entry costs because the price of buying in doesn’t change!

the way it "works" is you take you stable coin and you deposit it in a "protocol" where they lend it out and pay you the interest. for example, people were putting their ust into the anchor protocol which promised ponzi-esque returns.

edit: also ust was never backed by anything and the supply wasn't fixed, so it was certainly possible that new ust could appear from thin air.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 17, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

the replies to that are funny too
https://twitter.com/BillDungsroman/status/1526612452346974209

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

CommieGIR posted:

The whole diamond hands thing is hilarious: Because trading is buying AND selling, not sitting on devalued assets.

a pyramid topples on
shifting sands
that's why you need
diamond hands

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1526634106678824963

:perfect:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/mattbrownep/status/1526649837646659585?s=21&t=AOV6fT1uMyetVuq0U65nmg

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I read that as UFC and was confused about the football part but not surprised. One of the UFC’s main sponsors is crypto.com and the organization is run by terrible people

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

To attract fools.

worst ever at ping-pong posted:

They invested the money on NFTs, other coins with better yields, and extremely good Chinese commercial paper. With the 10000x returns they get from those they give you a measly 1000% return or so. Cheap bastards

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 17, 2022

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

the way it "works" is you take you stable coin and you deposit it in a "protocol" where they lend it out and pay you the interest. for example, people were putting their ust into the anchor protocol which promised ponzi-esque returns.

edit: also ust was never backed by anything and the supply wasn't fixed, so it was certainly possible that new ust could appear from thin air.

what i never get is who's supposed to be the other side of those loans, and what are they borrowing the money for?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
flash loans to drain daos, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Eeyo posted:

what i never get is who's supposed to be the other side of those loans, and what are they borrowing the money for?

alot of the time nobody is, they just mint new coins. yes this is a monumentally stupid way of providing interest