Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It's probably pretty different but it reminds me of Eaves NX-01 that Berman ordered scrapped and replaced with the Akira, since that was a smaller and flatter Connie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

TOS Sovereign Refit please

now you're talking

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Seatbelts, bah it's the far future with far future technology, it's pretty obvious the seats should be velcro. And I mean you don't even have to show it. Just get the sound peeps to add a loud velcro tearing sound when ever anyone gets out of any seat.

hahaha this is perfect. closest we'll get to people walking on the walls and ceilings. imo just a practical use of space with artificial gravity. granted most trek rooms dont have high ceilings but like, 12 foot tall hallway or room, might as well double up on the ceiling being another walkway. folks who are too tall will make eye contact as they move about making it easy to not butt heads

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the downside of the up-down hallways is people are constantly fighting the urge to spiderman-kiss eachother

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

speaking of TOS redesigns I can't remember where I found this but this is a much nicer design for the USS Discovery

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Tiberius Christ posted:

speaking of TOS redesigns I can't remember where I found this but this is a much nicer design for the USS Discovery

How can it jump into hypershroom without a giant, circular speed hole in the saucer?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

How can it jump into hypershroom without a giant, circular speed hole in the saucer?

Very well, thank you

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

Tiberius Christ posted:

No thanks.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Also just noticed its actually the uss dicovery :negative:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiberius Christ posted:

Also just noticed its actually the uss dicovery :negative:

Don't wanna get sued

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Don't wanna get sued

You gotta cover your rear end twice when it comes to Star Trek IP, apparently.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tiberius Christ posted:

Literally any design is better than the one they went with in the show

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
dicovery

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

CLAM DOWN posted:

Literally any design is better than the one they went with in the show

Could have used the actual USS Constellation filming model from the 60's, the one with the hosed up nacelles that pointed in different directions after the Doomsday Machine chewed on it... and it would have been better than what they went with.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
honestly i like the discovery ship, as far as trek ships go, I don't think the detached nacelles are any more of a dumb idea than having two bigass jet engines sticking out the dingleberry of your flying saucer, but btw they're not jet engines and what they do is magic and arbitrary but don't you dare mess with em lol. The hole in saucer doesn't bug me because the space inside trek ships is madeup and fluid, and by disco's time the only reason ppl don't just site-to-site every single place is there's probably some societal pressure to get yours steps in everyday. The hole is also good because everyone wants a window office and now more folks can.

I think I know what y'all hate about it though and I think the hole in saucer and detached nacelles can be salvaged while making it into tos shape enough to pass muster. their fatal flaw is forgoing the big belly, and not putting the nacelles up and back.

i've made a crude mockup and i think this is a rough guide on how to "fix" the ship without losing the two identifying parts

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

My problem with detached nacelles is that I just can’t believe that this wouldn’t immediately be a target for new weapons to be developed that could disrupt the magnets holding them in place (I think magnets was the explanation they offered?)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Khanstant posted:

i've made a crude mockup and i think this is a rough guide on how to "fix" the ship without losing the two identifying parts

:barf:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khanstant posted:

honestly i like the discovery ship, as far as trek ships go, I don't think the detached nacelles are any more of a dumb idea than having two bigass jet engines sticking out the dingleberry of your flying saucer, but btw they're not jet engines and what they do is magic and arbitrary but don't you dare mess with em lol. The hole in saucer doesn't bug me because the space inside trek ships is madeup and fluid, and by disco's time the only reason ppl don't just site-to-site every single place is there's probably some societal pressure to get yours steps in everyday. The hole is also good because everyone wants a window office and now more folks can.

sorry op it's ugly as poo poo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
well if ya don't like this one you don't like the tos enterprise

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

holefoods posted:

My problem with detached nacelles is that I just can’t believe that this wouldn’t immediately be a target for new weapons to be developed that could disrupt the magnets holding them in place (I think magnets was the explanation they offered?)

The only difference between conventional nacelles and detached nacelles is that detached ones don't have a little ship crippling "shoot here" target that nobody ever actually shoots

Every Star Trek battle against Starfleet should be enemies concentrating fire on the nacelles and the bridge, this isn't done because knowing the one weird trick to end all fights against Starfleet designs instantly isn't actually interesting or entertaining.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Tiberius Christ posted:

Where do you fit the implausibly cavernous turbolift area??

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Seemlar posted:

The only difference between conventional nacelles and detached nacelles is that detached ones don't have a little ship crippling "shoot here" target that nobody ever actually shoots

Every Star Trek battle against Starfleet should be enemies concentrating fire on the nacelles and the bridge, this isn't done because knowing the one weird trick to end all fights against Starfleet designs instantly isn't actually interesting or entertaining.

That’s a good point. Honestly, I’d just love for someone to try to write a Discovery tech manual because it would be pretty funny for them to try to explain all of the bullshit they cooked up in a semi convincing way like the TNG manual.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't have a hard time accepting detached nacelles, I just assume there are stronger forces and bonds in the world than metal alloys fused together in a big strip.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

holefoods posted:

That’s a good point. Honestly, I’d just love for someone to try to write a Discovery tech manual because it would be pretty funny for them to try to explain all of the bullshit they cooked up in a semi convincing way like the TNG manual.

"The flamethrowers (directly derived from similar units at the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular show at 21st-century Disney World) are placed at 30-degree angles around the entire circumference of the bridge. They are under computer control and powered by the main EPS grid."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mike the TV posted:

Where do you fit the implausibly cavernous turbolift area??

Look it's easier just to tell you where the cavernous turbolift area isn't.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 18, 2022

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Khanstant posted:

Oh good, we found our new gang tag

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Khanstant posted:

My beef with Starship Discoball is that it looks more at home in Tron than it does in Trek.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Powered Descent posted:

"The flamethrowers (directly derived from similar units at the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular show at 21st-century Disney World) are placed at 30-degree angles around the entire circumference of the bridge. They are under computer control and powered by the main EPS grid."

“During particularly emotional moments, Zora was known to activate them to alert the crew to her mental distress. The crew would then respond by seeing and hearing Zora.”

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khanstant posted:

well if ya don't like this one you don't like the tos enterprise

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

My only issue with the detached nacelles, enormous turbolift space and programmable matter is they would even continue to use starships in any form. The tech is so advanced they could literally be anything you want but somehow they look like centuries old space travel, they might as well have clipper ships traveling in space.

Like everything in discovery its all wasted science fiction ideas only to wallow in nostalgia and individual ego. I wouldn't mind space travel that was more like magic in the 31st century but then they're just making Dr. Who.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the ideal spaceship is indestructible, teleports anywhere instantly, has the best weapon, carpet, and is made of totally invisible material. all you need are cloaking devices for individuals, otherwise it just looks like a couple hundred people zipping around space

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Khanstant posted:

the ideal spaceship is indestructible, teleports anywhere instantly, has the best weapon, carpet, and is made of totally invisible material. all you need are cloaking devices for individuals, otherwise it just looks like a couple hundred people zipping around space

But does it almost kill all it's crew in entirely implausible ways every two weeks or so? If not that's far from "ideal"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

This would loving own.

How do they clean the invisible carpets though?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i love and hate this

Khanstant posted:

i also like the idea of the classic ufo saucer with the ring around it. oneill cylinder is my favourite kind of space habitat, and ring variants are cool too. obvs the ship here isn't a habitat, but i like the visual and mechanical motif of a big ring.

crude mouse drawing but i think this ship is half of the best friend necklace and they come together to make the ultimate ship

yes please, we need the best friend ship

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
There was a Mad parody of one of the early films, might have been WOK or Search for Spock where Mort Drucker drew the Enterprise flying upside down the entire story. I want to see that in canon. Also the gold key comics version that has turbo fire coming out of it's nacelles:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sooper Gila posted:

There was a Mad parody of one of the early films, might have been WOK or Search for Spock where Mort Drucker drew the Enterprise flying upside down the entire story. I want to see that in canon. Also the gold key comics version that has turbo fire coming out of it's nacelles:

Ohhh. Those are nacelles.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I ran the dinner party scene and when it got to the part with Hemmer talking about 'superior senses' and 'I like her', it seemed clear that Bruce Horak is basing his portrayal of Hemmer at least partly on Jeremy Combs' Shran. The delivery was just so... Shran.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It is still funny to me that nacelle is a real thing in aeronautical engineering, and not a made up space word.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Seemlar posted:

Happens a couple times in ST:LD S1e10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
TNG pretty sure the nacelles were particularly shot once or twice when one ship was looking to just disable the other and stop it from leaving somewhere in a hurry but not destroy it.

Maybe The chase?