Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Claiming Bella Garcia, the cryogenic time-orphan depressed and disgusted at the regression of Humanity, if taking solace from new life.

B Use the Datavault Data to bring these primitive medical capabilities a little closer to what they once were.

Military is fine.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
AJ Impy, I'll get you either a Military or Security briefing when I get home from my parents'- Military unless you specify you'd rather get a Security briefing.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Director-Consort Mariko Weiss posted:

At the moment, I'd say we have two primary diplomatic concerns. First, we obviously have the matter of cementing legitimacy in our new colonies. I've been having Diplomacy work on that as fast as I can, but I'll still need years more to finish that up. As long as we don't have that settled, it's going to have public order implications and make the local barons more unreliable. The second is the fact that with the fines on Coordinator Adair Marshall, his loyalty is currently rather unreliable, in my opinion. It's hardly guaranteed, but we might have to deal with a revolt at some point from the Marshall Collective.

Yardley Patton doesn't like us, but this isn't something I think anybody in this council is actually too concerned about. Otherwise, our vassals range from highly to mildly supportive, and the rulers of neighboring realms have relatively good opinions of us- most notably King Lowell Lamb, who I continue to think we might be able to sway into the league. If necessary, once I get our new acquisitions stabilised I can look into making the case for us running Salm and Rotanev as preparation for us taking down the Patton Quadrant once and for all.

I personally have to say how pleased I am that we've been able to forge a new league to represent the interests of several realms. We're no League of Starfaring Nations, I know, but forging common cause and cooperation here is something I feel very proud of.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 17, 2024

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Voting C. Let's go all in on the cash money.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
B. Genetic therapies is my vote for bloodlines upgrade

Ilario Goodman to Technology Director Prudence Weiss posted:

Well, if I'm going to be a human pincushion while I get healed up, what's a little extra brain surgery, am I right? But honestly, thank you. Both for your medical attention and for the chip. Being so useless has given me a little too much time to stew in my own thoughts. I don't like the feeling of not being able to help. No, that's not exactly it. I don't like where my thoughts go when I can't distract myself with work.

Do you know how much that exile hurt? Oh at first it had the trappings of nothing but a trip, a social call to neighboring nobles. Shoring up ties and improving relationships. There are appearances to be maintained. But that can only last for a while. What could I do after that? Throw myself into work. It's hard to miss your family when you don't have time to worry about things like that. When you're overwhelmed with patients and worrying about finding a patron to help fun you for a little longer, when you're jumping back and forth between ingratiating yourself with the local nobles, and the working tirelessly for the poor, you can be too tired to worry about that family sized hole in your heart.

Heh. Thanks for listening. I never get tired of seeing you, Jane, and Thomas working together like a functional family. Go ahead and put me under, Doc. Let's see what's on this chip.

Ilario Goodman waking up from surgery posted:

That was amazing. Is that really what life was like before the collapse? I can't believe how much we lost. Such beauty, such technology. It brings a tear to my eyes.

I don't even have words for all the things I saw.

Ilario Goodman, blinded by respect for Jane (It's just respect, right?), and with his arm finally healed posted:

An engagement? You... You're asking me to marry into the family? I... That's what I wanted so much. Forgive me for letting my emotions get the better of me. This means so much for me. As long as Rebecca is alright, after all, the difference in age between us is noticeable, then, yes. Of course I accept.

After a little offsite conversation with Nweismuller, we're assuming the memory chip is a memory of a trip to Ecola State Park, or some similar location.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 18, 2022

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Director-General Jane Weiss posted:

I believe the military situation may have stabilised at Haldus. I think we can safely reassign Romeo from assembling resources there for local shipbuilding. Thomas, do you think it might be worthwhile to assign Romeo to helping manage tax collections from the Lamb Clan if we bring them in? I suppose otherwise assigning him to Kajam or Beta Eridani to help monitor tax collections might be worthwhile. Speaking of the military situation, do you have any counsel, Father?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Director-Heir Thomas Weiss posted:

I'd need to see what the projected tax income for the Lamb Clan would be before I could give informed advice, but I imagine Romeo could do more for our bottom line at Kajam or Beta Eridani, given their greater wealth. That said, if the Lamb Clan produces enough wealth, by all means send him their way.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

My estimate of current revenues by the Lamb Clan is roughly fourteen thousand four hundred semi-annually from their their home colony and, as a very rough estimate, seven thousand two hundred from their taxes from vassals. As such, I estimate our baseline revenue from them as a vassal would likely be over twice the take from Kajam. They have a well-developed home colony- notably with extensive hydroponics facilities, a large waste management facility, and an extensive local chemical industry- with rich radioactives and a competent Administration team running affairs.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Director-Heir Thomas Weiss posted:

Ooh, now you're speaking my language. Send Romeo over as soon as the paperwork's official, so we can start shearing those lambs.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

nweismuller posted:

My estimate of current revenues by the Lamb Clan is roughly fourteen thousand four hundred semi-annually from their their home colony and, as a very rough estimate, seven thousand two hundred from their taxes from vassals. As such, I estimate our baseline revenue from them as a vassal would likely be over twice the take from Kajam. They have a well-developed home colony- notably with extensive hydroponics facilities, a large waste management facility, and an extensive local chemical industry- with rich radioactives and a competent Administration team running affairs.

Oh boy! Romeo gets to oversee chem industry like I do!

Ok, I oversee the controls and instrumentation of a chemical plant. Not quite the same, but in the ballpark.

Lady Jaybird fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 18, 2022

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

dervinosdoom posted:

Oh boy! Romeo gets to oversee chem industry like I do!

Ok, I oversee the controls and instrumentation of a chemical plant. Not quite the same, but in the ballpark.

Speaking of, does Romeo have anything to say about the current situation?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Admiral Harold Weiss posted:

The remains of the Patton Quadrant are ripe for the taking.
We need only the proper diplomatic pretext. Mariko, if you please?
Sooner is better than later I would think, before Patton pledges allegiance to one of our rivals for his protection.
The man is also despised by some of our vassals. Removing him from power once and for all would surely lift their spirits, and cement our authority.

As for unrest, the situation is far more grim. For the moment I am recommending myself to be deployed to Mu Capricorni, and that Carmen remains at Nashira.

Lastly, I intend to serve House Weiss as duty demands until my last breath. That breath, God willing, is still a few years away.
Even so, it is time to consider my successor. I have been blessed with several grandchildren. It seems fitting that I hand over the reins to the newest generation Weiss.
Prudence, I trust you will oversee training my successor in military matters?

Doctor Prudence Weiss posted:

As noted, Rebecca will soon reach her majority, and I suggest we begin training her immediately so that she is as capable as possible when the time comes, though I pray it's many years in the future yet Father!

I don't have much else to add to the current situation, really. As my brother noted, out realm has grown too large to practically micromanage each and every facility.
I suggest we'll keep up our training together Jane until Rebecca comes of age, at which point she hopefully shows some military aptitude and I'll begin her training.
Naturally Ilario is going to keep up the technology training.

Bloodline upgrade: B

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Romeo, the rambling, gambling, project manager posted:

Well drat, our diplomatic corp is something to behold! 6 new systems in 2 years, and Jane is now an Archon (makes me even hotter under the collar!) I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to be relocated again, because I am drat great at my job making numbers go up and coffers full (mine and the league's). I hate having to move my beautiful mahogany desk though.

Romeo, after meeting with Thomas posted:

I was right, getting moved again. At least I made the desk easy to move. *sigh*

Saw the meme Thomas had in his office, nice dig, rear end in a top hat. Mine is better though.

Maybe one day I'll be on the council after Tommy dies from the universe finding him too boring. I won't have to move anymore, I'll have to see the wife more, but it's a small price to pay. I'll get to see Jane more.

I vote C :homebrew:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
OK, I'm off for a few days, and will be coming back Saturday evening. I'll be playing through the update one way or another when I get back, so best if Bella gets in a post before then. Thanks to everybody for your participation, and I'll be back soon!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Speak of the devil out of history...

Colonel Bella Garcia, formerly Major of the Interstellar Authority. posted:

It may not be the League of Starfaring Nations, it may be backwards, primitive, baroque and trying to rebuild the old rather than innovate on it, but given what I can see of the rest of the remnants out there, it could be a lot worse. I'll admit, starting a family was a life goal I thought I'd have had to give up on, they don't usually put part of a family in cryosleep, but, well, here we are. Something to look forward to. So, if I'm bringing someone into this world, these worlds, I'm going to make damned sure it's worth doing so. We've got a fair few worlds that could use a firm hand right now, so I'll be looking to keep the peace, by whichever means prove necessary.

Admiral Weiss, Vega's naval forces could probably have held their own even by the standards of my time, which is no mean feat. I certainly hope you'll be around for many years to come, and in terms of future proofing, I've learned a fair few things I could see if I could pass on, tricks so old they're new again. Just say the word, sir.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Father, granted that I'll assign Bella Garcia to your department, where would you think she should be assigned for now, once she's done with doing the training assignment?

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 17, 2023

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Admiral Harold Weiss posted:

Colonel, you were a peacekeeper of sorts before the Collapse, correct?
I'm assigning you to Albireo, capital of the White Federation.
Unrest there is getting severe. Securing peace and stability in our vassals is vital.

Further, at the risk of getting ahead of myself:
When the time comes to take the Patton Quadrant, I want you to lead the fleet. A chance to prove these "old tricks" of yours.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The personal log of Thomas Weiss posted:

Recent events have given me cause to record my thoughts, so as to better organize them. As it stands, the Weiss Guild has risen from obscurity to become possibly the most powerful state in known space, and that brings with it a host of changes. Ilario Goodman's arrival was welcome, if unexpected, but I'd be lying if I said Janey's suggestion didn't take me aback. He's more than twenty years her senior! He's a close friend, certainly, and if he were ten or fifteen years younger, I'd honestly be overjoyed at the prospect, but as it is, I have misgivings. Of course, I know it's for the best. Tying his bloodline to ours will do much to mollify those few remaining detractors who still support the fallen House Goodman, and he's a gifted healer. The betrothal will likely proceed as proposed, I just hope Rebecca is comfortable with the arrangement.

Father and Pru were also suggesting Rebecca be assigned to the military once she reaches majority, but, it seems hasty to force her into such a violent profession. Father's not wrong when he says he needs a successor; he's, sadly, not getting any younger. But my little girl? I'd always hoped she'd be the one to sit at this sensible, oak desk when I finally retire. "Heir" or not, I hold no illusions that I have any choice in the matter; what Jane says, goes. Perhaps Emily or little Alice could be my successor, instead. They're all bright girls, I've no doubt any of them would surpass even my own logistical acumen.

But sometimes, I worry. I saw what happened to Zoltan Lindsey. That could happen to any of us, without warning. I shudder to imagine the Weiss Guild without a competent administrator. Or worse, with that mustachioed fool, Romeo, at the helm. The man's more interested in trading barbs and self-aggrandizement than securing funds for the guild. The very thought of him running my department into the ground with his inefficiency makes my blood boil. And the way he treats Pru, while making eyes at Janey, of all people (and he thinks nobody's noticed), has me this close to just shoving him out an airlock, myself. Insulting me is one thing, but insulting my family? My patience has its limits.

At least Ilario will treat Rebecca well. Maybe their marriage is for the best, if the alternative is risking her meeting a boor like Romeo.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I imagine that Romeo would freak out if Thomas kicked it early and he would be on the council. Romeo is a genius, but horny has a tendency of ruining even the smartest of people. Maybe Romeo will come to his senses, or we could get some grade A prime drama!

Kinda hoping for the drama

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Colonel Bella Garcia posted:

Albireo was pretty much at the top of my list, Admiral. Far be it for me to speak ill, but Governor-General White's control over her whole demesne seems lacking. A good baptism of fire for my elites. As for our future endeavours, I'd be honoured.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Director-General Jane Weiss- personal journal posted:

I often wonder what Mother would have made of our Guild had she lived to do more than leave me the crown. I have striven to live up to the standards she set for me, but still- I cannot help but feel that I have failed in that regard. For all that Yardley Patton is a man worth no regard and Walt Wang was scarce better, I cannot deny that my destruction of the two realms of the Patton League was not just. I fear that in the end God will judge me sternly indeed for what I have done there. I can hope that in the end what I shall build in the aftermath is a finer thing than what the Patton League was, but my actions still haunt me. Would Mother have done the same? Would it have been better to keep the Guild the union of five colonies it began as?

What I do not doubt is that over these past twelve years Vega has prospered. Whether I truly brought good or ill to any other colony is beyond my wisdom- and I pray that it was good, for by my works shall God know me- but on my home of Vega I know that truly the years of the Guild have brought good. Our House can support many more of its own members than once it could, with periodic merriments and entertainments, and even the serfs seem more contented here in Vega. The crowding is less, they are better-fed, and the news announcements have told them of victory abroad and glorious deeds, tales that traders can confirm. Easy enough for the commoners to celebrate glorious deeds, I suppose, but still I fear the glory does not compensate for the wrong done along the way. Thanks to Mariko and to Diplomacy for crafting our propaganda, to tell the commons how well-ruled they are! Easier to see good rule when it's explained so readily to you.

And my thanks to Mariko for her many loyal years of service and her time as my wife is to see my heart turn fickle and treacherous. Truly the arm of flesh cannot be depended on! I pray to God he remove this trial from before me. I cannot stand how poorly I have rewarded one I know in my mind to be the best of women, and yet my heart betrays me. Let me never compound the sin of my disloyalty in my heart with the sin of acting upon it. My Lord, why have you seen fit to test me so?

Rebecca Weiss- personal journal posted:

I think it would be easy to love Ilario, now that I've heard what Jane has thought- he's kind, interesting, and good, and a scion of good blood (no matter the stories of how terrible his brother was! Not as if I ever knew the old King). I think I could be happy this way. I know Jane has said her own mother looked for somebody she thought she could be happy with. It seems she did well enough with Jane and Thomas at least, although Jessica and Prudence seem like they were less lucky. But, as I've been told, the pool of suitors is not always good- and we're all expected to serve the House in marriage as well as in labor. Soon I'll be an adult. I need to be an adult the rest of the House can be proud of- someday I'll have the crown myself. Will I be ready?

But, ugh, really, the idea I become Admiral someday? I'd sooner look to be Executive Director or Diplomacy Director, I think I might actually do some good in one of those seats before I take an even greater seat. 'To Build Tomorrow', as the House motto goes- I need to be ready to make my own welds on what we're building when my time comes.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 21, 2022

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So something I've been wondering - part of the idea at the start of the LP was that Vega was home to a number of noble houses, and a lot of our vassal stars are technically ruled by non-Weiss house members. Yet for all that, we haven't seen much of the rest of the Guild's nobility. Obviously the nobility of the wider League will come into play as time goes on (we're already seeing that with Jane :v:), but what are the rest of the Vega nobles up to? Or the poor folks who rule places like Kapetyn's, where they gotta deal with all that rattle-lung? What's the situation like with our internal feudalism? Because managing that is a huge part of games like CK.

Also drat you AJ, this is what I get for not following the thread more closely :argh:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

SpaceDrake posted:

So something I've been wondering - part of the idea at the start of the LP was that Vega was home to a number of noble houses, and a lot of our vassal stars are technically ruled by non-Weiss house members. Yet for all that, we haven't seen much of the rest of the Guild's nobility. Obviously the nobility of the wider League will come into play as time goes on (we're already seeing that with Jane :v:), but what are the rest of the Vega nobles up to? Or the poor folks who rule places like Kapetyn's, where they gotta deal with all that rattle-lung? What's the situation like with our internal feudalism? Because managing that is a huge part of games like CK.

Also drat you AJ, this is what I get for not following the thread more closely :argh:

I can answer this on several levels. First- we did indeed start with an unusual number of minor Houses at Vega, although that number has been reduced because some of those Houses have been transplanted to be new baronial Houses elsewhere. Second- the agency of minor Houses in this game is pretty limited- much of the time what they're doing is 'arranging needed marriages, thus adding to the marriage pool, serving as candidates to lead rebellions when rebellions get triggered, and occasionally getting involved in love affairs or crimes, and getting invited to feasts held at their colony'. Events with our minor Houses have, as such, not risen to the level of notice for the most part at Vega. Barons do more, but still have restricted options compared to dukes (barons can't conquer, only raid, can't host feasts, and have relatively limited diplomacy options other than pressing demands against their master or offering to join a new master); dukes and archons really start having full scope for action in Star Dynasties. Third, there are indeed a bunch of baronial vassals running our colonies other than Vega; our relations with them have remained strong and helped ensure Guild stability. Managing vassals is, indeed, important, but 'long-term low taxes and having a good reputation' goes a long way towards strengthening ties with your vassals, and we've not moved our taxes over the course of the game. The vassals we've had for long enough have 'generally low taxes' as a major positive opinion factor and likewise the influence of the opinion bonuses from your Diplomacy department is strengthened for your direct vassals. Fourth, I can indeed provide detailed and in-depth reports on our vassals and neighbors and what they think of us, but nobody's wanted to claim Mariko and get a Diplomacy report (The people who are getting Administration and Military reports can attest my departmental reports are indeed in-depth, I think. The Technology report is shorter in large part because a major part of what Technology focuses on is your own personnel, which is covered in the main updates). Fifth, I can't get you more details just yet, because I'm not yet back home with the game saves, but I'll at least update you on the basic status of our minor Houses we started with when I get back.

E: Also, incidentally: good to see somebody new chiming in! Always nice to see evidence of more readers. Hope you're enjoying the trip!

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 22, 2022

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

SpaceDrake posted:

Had to take her, probably for the selfsame reasons you wanted to. There will be other compelling characters to take, and I do have a bit of history taking odd outliers in nweissmuller threads.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
So, about the Houses of Vega, as was asked...

House Goodman is extinct, as far as we know. Ilario Goodman, although born into House Goodman, was adopted into House Weiss and is now part of House Weiss.

House Weiss... we've seen in detail.

House Fardell currently consists of six members, led by Lady Belicia Fardell, sister to Mariko Weiss. Belicia has just inherited from her mother, Penelope Fardell, and is in mourning over her death. Belicia is a Rulebreaker, and thus not very trustworthy, but she likes Jane quite a bit, basically because of a mix of Jane's glorious conquests and Jane having been very good to her sister. This means we'll probably not get Belicia trying to murder Jane. A woman from House Eaton has married into House Fardell (via Belicia's brother), a man from House Kelley married in (through Belicia's daughter) before his mysterious and untimely death at age 25 (almost certainly a murder, but one we don't know the facts of), and Belicia's son married out into House Noble, and her mother remarried the young son of the head of House Oneal, so House Fardell has multiple marriage connections with other Vegan Houses.

House Oneal of Vega is still led by Sir Sutton Oneal, their leader since House Weiss seized power twelve years ago. Five members currently comprise the House. He's brave, humble, and a rulebreaker. He's miserable right now largely because his son is miserable after Penelope Fardell's death. His stepfather stands to inherit Ross 128 when the current ruler from House Kelley dies, because Ross 128 is passing on to the oldest sibling and his stepfather was originally born into House Kelley. His sister married into House Nichols, his son married into House Fardell, and his stepfather married in from House Kelley. Sir Sutton Oneal is considered a distant relative of Jane Weiss because his son is Mariko's stepfather and his own stepfather is Romeo's brother.

House Noble comprises seven members led by Sir Virgil Noble, their leader since House Weiss seized power. Virgil is Satisfied, a Rulebreaker, and Vengeful, so another potentially dangerous man... but thankfully one who seems to like Jane. More than he probably should, given known factors, which suggests to me he might be in love with the Director-General. -sigh- Virgil has two brothers, one of whom married into House Kelley and one of whom has a wife who married in from House Fardell. One of his two sons has been married to the heiress of Haldus, who was born into House Eaton. His mother has remarried one of Belicia Fardell's sons, a marriage with a 43 year age difference, which makes the Ilario/Rebecca difference of 24 years not seem so bad. Virgil Noble is distantly related to Jane because his brother is Romeo's stepfather and one of his sons is the husband of the daughter of Jane's current stepmother.

House Nichols was once a minor House at Vega, but has relocated to Miaplacidus after their head, Javen Nichols, was named Colonial Director of Miaplacidus after the old baron was deposed for his crimes six years ago. Javen is Humble and Dull, and gets along well with Jane. House Nichols has seven members, and is closely tied to House Weiss because Oriole is Javen's sister. Oriole is next in line to inherit Miaplacidus, but the Colonial Directorship will eventually pass thereafter to Javen's daughter. If Javen's daughter's wife (who is sickly) dies soon enough, his daughter will most likely remarry a man and might have children who inherit Miaplacidus, as she's actually straight. Otherwise the Colonial Directorship will eventually end up with Rebecca Weiss, who will need to grant Miaplacidus to somebody else once she ends up heading House Weiss since we can only directly run one colony at a time.

House Kelley, once a minor House at Vega, has since relocated to Ross 128 when their family was granted the Colonial Directorship of that colony following its conquest by the Guild. Unfortunately for House Kelley, it only has four members, which leaves them unable to even fill all their council seats as colonial rulers and limits their scope of action. None of their marriages are fertile, either, which means that Ross 128 is basically doomed to eventually be ruled by a Weiss branch family after Romeo and then Malachi inherit the colony. Hopefully Romeo and Malachi can rebuild the House there to be large enough to be functional. Devon Kelley, the Colonial Director, is Romeo's older sister, and is Brave, Friendly, Humble, and Cruel.

When Haldus was conquered by the Guild, Jane Weiss enforced the (weak) claim Sir Bradford Eaton had to the baronial throne of Haldus, relocating House Eaton to Haldus. Once he took Haldus, he divorced his old wife and mother of his children, and remarried to a cousin of House Wang, the old rulers of Haldus. House Eaton also only has four members, leaving them very short-staffed, although they appear to have a reasonable line of inheritance. Bradford Eaton's divorced wife, Carmen, proceeded to remarry into House Weiss, and is now Jane's stepmother and a fairly unremarkable colonel of peacekeepers for House Weiss. Bradford Eaton is also notable for a failed raid against Rotanev that we ended up fining him for, at the demand of House Patton.

That satisfy you as to what the other Houses of Vega have been up to?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Indeed, thank you! Gives a fairly clear idea of what minor nobility are capable of in the scope of the game.

Is it actually possible to start play as the player in that position and work your way up, or can players only be Dukes?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

SpaceDrake posted:

Indeed, thank you! Gives a fairly clear idea of what minor nobility are capable of in the scope of the game.

Is it actually possible to start play as the player in that position and work your way up, or can players only be Dukes?

Players may only be dukes or above. Losing ducal rank is actually a game loss condition.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Is there any way to help our vassals not be short-staffed? Relatedly, is there any way to put idle houses to work if they don't have a colony to rule over? We've got a score of nobles just loafing around, it would be nice if we could get them to help collect taxes in the meantime.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

Is there any way to help our vassals not be short-staffed? Relatedly, is there any way to put idle houses to work if they don't have a colony to rule over? We've got a score of nobles just loafing around, it would be nice if we could get them to help collect taxes in the meantime.

No (mostly) and no. Their staffing issues are their own to solve, although arranging a marriage into a House can help (assuming circumstances allow). And, although minor Houses aren't mechanically doing anything, they are assumed to be overseeing portions of their local colony; their members have responsibilities to their own House that are below the level of the simulation of the game and aren't free for assignment by us.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
All right, I've collected, sorted, and uploaded the images for the next update, and all that's left is the writing followed by the reports. Claimable characters at this point include Mariko Weiss, Oriole Weiss, Prudence Weiss, Noelle Garcia, and Rebecca Weiss, second in line for the throne, the newest adult in House Weiss, and the wife of Ilario Weiss. Everybody, meet Rebecca:

Our new heiress is Intelligent, Honorable, and Loyal, and skilled both in administration and diplomacy- diplomacy particularly because her scrupulous honesty makes her very, very easy to trust.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That string of marriages and family connections is just insane.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

General Revil posted:

What, with the minor Houses?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Admiral Harold Weiss, private journal posted:

I could not be more proud of my children.
House Weiss have grown beyond my wildest dreams. A League, in my own lifetime!

My dear granddaughter Rebecca is a bright one.
Sadly, I am forced to admit that she shows little aptitude military theory, and even less interest.
On the other hand she shows great potential both as an administrator or a diplomat.
She would still benefit from some military training to prepare her for taking the throne.

I have to consider alternatives.
Tradition calls for appointing close kin, but I cannot countenance leaving house Weiss without a competent Admiral when I pass.
In our most recent conversations Jane suggested Colonel Garcia.
I am hesitant. She seems competent enough, but she is an outsider. An unknown, and literally of a different time. No marriage ties to the Weiss line.
Still, I cannot think of a different option.
Even if some of my other grandchildren show promise, training them to be a competent strategist and tactician would take many years.
Years I am afraid I do not have.
House Weiss cannot be left without competent military leadership.

Admiral Harold Weiss, private journal, continued posted:

I have returned to my quarters following the council meeting.
Now we will find out what Colonel Garcia is really made of.
First the Albitern peacekeeping operation.
Then she will lead the fleet when we strike at the last sad remains of the Patton Quadrant.
I only pray to God that I live to see the outcome of these challenges.
I take some comfort in the fact that Jane is aware of these tests, as it were. Ultimately she is the Director-General and it is therfore her choice in the end.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm going to be real sad when Romeo kicks it, so that means he's gonna die in this upcoming update or the next one. Or he'll outlive everyone. I'll also probably die laughing if one of his kids ends up ruling.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
So I'm at my parents' place for a few days, as I am on weekends, but I'd like to discuss the basic design philosophy behind The Weight of Duty mod that I did, partly in the hopes of getting suggestions to extend it.

In the base game, there's a set of events labelled as 'PlayerTraitsEvents', which can fire when the player ruler has a certain personality trait. Sometimes the requirements are more specific, and sometimes not. As a rule, the traits that fire for positive traits are beneficial and those for negative traits detrimental, although that's not absolutely required. Thing is, in PlayerTraitsEvents, not all personality traits are covered, and I felt a desire to extend these to more traits. The base game has events for, let me see here...

Cowardly, Dull, Friendly, Greedy, Charming, Kind (and not Greedy), Kind (another event, with no requirement not to be Greedy), either Brave or Cowardly (with the best outcome for that event gated behind being both Brave and Kind), Cruel (and not Honorable), Intelligent, Satisfied, Vengeful, Stupid, and Brave.

I ended up with inspiration for a good event for Honorable rulers, and later had an idea (with quite specific trigger requirements) for Loyal rulers, and so the mod The Weight of Duty contains the two events The Weight of Duty and The Price of Loyalty. That said, there's still notable gaps- the Loyal event only triggers under very specific conditions and only once per game, the Intelligent event only triggers once per game, and Fickle, Reserved, Rulebreaker, Humble, Proud, Forgiving, Individualistic, and Tribal aren't represented at all yet. I can potentially get down into the more spoiler-laden weeds about various events if people want, and would certainly be interested in hearing ideas I might be able to work up into extensions for my Weight of Duty mod that helps round out PlayerTraitsEvents.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Actually that reminds me. Ilario is tribal, and that's one thing I've been really trying to play up. Loyalty to family (seeing Emmanuel in the best possible light, visiting his parents' graves), and also being depressed about the only Goodman left.

And while the age gap is extreme (we have seen a 40 year age gap), I'm assuming that this is basically crusader kings in space, and that sort of age gap happens, especially amongst the nobility. The positive reaction is basically Ilario going from no family to huge family (even if by marriage) and his personality being so focused on the tribe/family.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

General Revil posted:

Actually that reminds me. Ilario is tribal, and that's one thing I've been really trying to play up. Loyalty to family (seeing Emmanuel in the best possible light, visiting his parents' graves), and also being depressed about the only Goodman left.

And while the age gap is extreme (we have seen a 40 year age gap), I'm assuming that this is basically crusader kings in space, and that sort of age gap happens, especially amongst the nobility. The positive reaction is basically Ilario going from no family to huge family (even if by marriage) and his personality being so focused on the tribe/family.

Ilario and Rebecca is only a 24 year age gap, which is high but not entirely insane. But yes, very large age gaps actually do happen rather frequently in Star Dynasties, which makes me consider that 24-year gap not unreasonable for an aunt actually looking for a happy marriage for her niece.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

General Revil posted:

As a long time CK2/CK3 player, this doesn't seem that insane.

There are only two playable ranks if I understand correctly? Duke and whatever goes above it, when you lead a league containing several duchies? It's an interesting decision, because to come back to the Crusader Kings comparison, and the question of whether you can play a minor house/baron, you totally can in CK. Of course what Star Dynasties calls barons are counts in CK, the lowest playable rank. Followed by dukes, kings, and emperors. But the Star Dynasties world looks like it has the scope of a single CK2/3 empire at best, compare to Europe plus significant parts of Africa and Asia, so thr absence of the emperor rank equivalent makes sense.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Torrannor posted:

As a long time CK2/CK3 player, this doesn't seem that insane.

There are only two playable ranks if I understand correctly? Duke and whatever goes above it, when you lead a league containing several duchies? It's an interesting decision, because to come back to the Crusader Kings comparison, and the question of whether you can play a minor house/baron, you totally can in CK. Of course what Star Dynasties calls barons are counts in CK, the lowest playable rank. Followed by dukes, kings, and emperors. But the Star Dynasties world looks like it has the scope of a single CK2/3 empire at best, compare to Europe plus significant parts of Africa and Asia, so thr absence of the emperor rank equivalent makes sense.

Correct. Houses have four ranks in Star Dynasties, two of which are playable. Minor Houses led by local nobles, then barons, then dukes, then archons, of which only dukes and archons are playable. Whenever I use 'minor House', I'm specifically referring to the local Houses that aren't even of baronial rank.

E: also worth noting that the difference in the way CK and Star Dynasties handles 'even being a duke or king/archon' means that weaker dukes in Star Dynasties are a lot like playable counts in CK, and you can trivially become an archon, roughly equivalent to a CK king, well before you could be a king in CK, while later on you'll get to a point where running an archon looks like the equivalent of managing several CK kingdom titles at once.

You can't play as a baron, but people have shown some interest in 'starting from scratch', and maybe providing a setup option to start explicitly as a single-colony duke would be close to what people are looking for. I could certainly float the idea to Glen if people wanted me to, and see what he thought.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
The biggest age gap is Bella and Noelle by an order of magnitude, if you think about it.