Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Macaluso posted:

I'm more tired of the Twitter comedy geniuses that post the WHAT IF CARS HAD EMOTIONS WHAT IF EMOTIONS HAD EMOTIONS WHAT IF MONSTERS HAD EMOTIONS WHAT IF thing over and over again.

Ya know what's cool about animation? That you just aren't constrained to humans and anything can be given a voice and personality. WHAT IF ELEMENTS HAD EMOTIONS shut the gently caress up.

Yeah this joke originated with inside out because the punchline was 'what if emotions had emotions' but then people kept it going beyond that because they didn't get that that was the punchline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Wittgen posted:

Fire is so hard to animate well. If they are going to have their main character be made of fire, they must have some cool tech. Bet it will look great.

They could have just bought a digital camera and recorded some fires in front of a black sheet.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Why won't pixar just buy a digital camera already?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Idiots spent years and millions of dollars animating digital ants without realising you can go outside and just film ants, like, they're right there

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
After the way WB ignored Iron Giant and (intentionally? Can’t remember) sabotaged it’s release it’s kind of bullshit to see them stick him in EVERY SINGLE Gamemaster Anthony movie they make... which seems to be a lot of them lately.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Put Cats Don't Dance into Multiversus, cowards

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Macaluso posted:

This. Cats Don't Dance is so drat good and also gotten screwed over hard.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fuckin-a right it is. Honestly very little is as good-looking

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Macaluso posted:

how come there aren't droogs in this game

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hedrigall posted:

Idiots spent years and millions of dollars animating digital ants without realising you can go outside and just film ants, like, they're right there

Phase IV is absolutely better than anything with a cg ant, though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You want sexy ants? 'Cause that's how you get sexy ants!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

MikeJF posted:

Yeah this joke originated with inside out because the punchline was 'what if emotions had emotions' but then people kept it going beyond that because they didn't get that that was the punchline.

"what if mexicans had emotions" was also a place to end it.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Coincidentally, Dreamworks just dropped a trailer for "ANT2," A sequel produced by Sylvester Stallone in the vein of the "creed" movies, focusing on the children of the original Antz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUCPXEvBxZQ

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Macaluso posted:

DLC Season pass 1 will include Darla Dimple, Osmosis Jones, Kangaroo Jack, Duck Dodgers, and Byleth

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Pixeltendo posted:

DLC Season pass 1 will include Darla Dimple, Osmosis Jones, Kangaroo Jack, Duck Dodgers, and Byleth

GODDAMMIT NOT AGAIN

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Hedrigall posted:

Holy gently caress it sounds dangerous to be a Pixar intern

Just wanna give this good joke some recognition.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

FunkyAl posted:

Coincidentally, Dreamworks just dropped a trailer for "ANT2," A sequel produced by Sylvester Stallone in the vein of the "creed" movies, focusing on the children of the original Antz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUCPXEvBxZQ

No wonder Pixar is going for cartoony animation. Dreamworks has nailed the super realism!

My son is still going through Avatar. Amazing how topical Iroh can be sometimes.
"Get your information from different source for the best view of the world and learn from everyone."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Avatar is a miracle. Its incredible how James Cameron is spending untold millions on sequels to a blue people movie with the same name that won't contain even a sliver of the wisdom or nuance of the childrens cartoon avatar.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The most boring concept brought to you by the director of the worst Pixar movie, incredible, can’t wait

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1526646882302414848

the axe continues to fall. I knew Netflix was retreating to 'safe' content but I didn't think it was going to be THIS 'safe'. Antiracist Baby (a book for preschoolers) was a popular political target for conservatives just a couple of months ago during their ongoing "I don't know what CRT is but I hate it and it's everywhere" campaign with Ted Cruz in particular being incensed at the book's existence. if Netflix is making panicked politically-charged executive decisions it doesn't bode well for their creative department

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ccs posted:

Avatar is a miracle. Its incredible how James Cameron is spending untold millions on sequels to a blue people movie with the same name that won't contain even a sliver of the wisdom or nuance of the childrens cartoon avatar.

Who needs nuance when your message is ‘the American empire must be destroyed to preserve the environment’?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1526646882302414848

the axe continues to fall. I knew Netflix was retreating to 'safe' content but I didn't think it was going to be THIS 'safe'. Antiracist Baby (a book for preschoolers) was a popular political target for conservatives just a couple of months ago during their ongoing "I don't know what CRT is but I hate it and it's everywhere" campaign with Ted Cruz in particular being incensed at the book's existence. if Netflix is making panicked politically-charged executive decisions it doesn't bode well for their creative department

Wings of fire is also very very popular amongst kids, a tv adaptation seems like guaranteed money

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

That sucks, my daughter was so excited for Wings of Fire :(

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

boss baby

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

The 7th Guest posted:

Antiracist Baby (a book for preschoolers) was a popular political target for conservatives just a couple of months ago during their ongoing "I don't know what CRT is but I hate it and it's everywhere" campaign with Ted Cruz in particular being incensed at the book's existence. if Netflix is making panicked politically-charged executive decisions it doesn't bode well for their creative department
I don't know, even discounting the chuds I can imagine a lot of ways that adapting a 24 page board book to another format doesn't pan out

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Didn’t they make a whole series off of Green Eggs and Ham?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ccs posted:

It's so good. It's my first time actually watching complete seasons in order. Though I'm finding I've accidentally seen most if not all of those episodes already...except out of order.
But the best thing is how my son regularly comes back to me, either with why questions (like why did Aang give the fire nation baby back?), or how questions (how did Iroh shoot that lightning away?) or just general jokes he repeats with a big smile.

It's definitely a series that keeping his mind busy while watching it, with the appropriate questions.

The way the show goes out of it's way to make sure you know both sides have good and bad people is just great.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And The Ember Island Players is such a great reward for getting almost all the way through. I can only imagine how that kind of storytelling move must play to a kid.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Regalingualius posted:

Didn’t they make a whole series off of Green Eggs and Ham?

2 of them and I thought they were both fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fotvV-Ty9rU

Hmmm, it’s not terrible looking per se, it’s just… it’s very generic.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The_Doctor posted:

Who decided all male leads are lanky dudes with moppy hair, big close-set eyes, and large noses.
Why did they decide this.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

copying Linguini from Ratatouille, maybe

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Maybe everyone finally realized what a hot dad Roger from 101 Dalmatians is 50 years after the fact.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The_Doctor posted:

The models are all over the place. The two main characters look like they came from a stock animation course library. The cat has just an awful looking face, why did they design it like that? The rats, while actually looking good, also look like they borrowed assets from Ratatouille. No one feels like they belong in the same looking movie.

Also this is one of the worst instances of trailers putting dialogue in the wrong place I've ever seen

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A while ago I started wondering how much postmodern/deconstruction/parody we can do in the post-Space-Ghost/Venture-Bros/Shrek era before we've completely forgotten what tropes those things are making fun of.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We're already well past that

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pretty much, doing things sincerely is the real twist.

My concern with Amazing Maurice Movie is it feels like it's going to shove Maurice and the rats to focus more on the humans - the humans were pretty much all background characters in the book.

but I am still intensely bitter how the Watch TV series went - clearly made by people who have clear hatred and contempt for the source material.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 18, 2022

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there a Disney movie with a stronger emotional core than a goofy movie? I posit no

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just watched Sleeping Beauty for the first time the other day.

It's fascinating how despite it being the very basis of the tropes, it was itself doing its best to be mold-breaking at the time. The flat UPA-aping character design style (which the animators rankled at but Walt wanted), the fussbudgety interplay between the fairies (who almost were designed as identical triplets), the kings' frat-bro-y drinking song (lol), even the shoulder-punching relationship between Prince Phillip and the horse (which seems like a precursor to the same exact thing in Tangled) ... those were all aspects of a fairy tale that you didn't get out of a typical Grimm Bros storybook or a Tchaikovsky ballet. You even got dialogue between Rose and Phillip that suggested a more self-aware kind of characterization than were present in, say, Snow White; they were riffing on each other and the whole "once upon a dream" idea in a more tongue-in-cheek way than I'd been expecting.

I guess they've been pushing that kind of storytelling idea for decades. It just really kicked into overdrive in the 90s and never hit the brakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Many of the princesses have much greater characterization than most people want to give them credit for, including up to some really brain-dead readings.

Rose as mentioned is very tongue in cheek, and actually flirted with Phillip once the surprise of his being there wore off.

Cinderella was actually pretty drat snarky when she doesn't think her Stepmother or sisters would be around to punish her (and man do people love to downplay how awful and traumatic the dress-ripping scene is played out)