Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its kinda sad that dominant Terunofuji already seems to be gone. He's a bit of a kinboshi machine though so good for all of the other guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, I wonder if he took a basho off if he could recover and put together a couple more monster basho. That said, if he's on his decline he's 30 now and has 6 yusho, which puts him square in the middle of the pack of yokozuna. That's more than his oyakata got (ex-Asahifuji has 4), and ties Kakuryu. Along with his magnificent comeback story it's an incredible career. I bet he can hang around and snag a couple more, considering Kakuryu picked up 3 yusho after pulling out or sitting out of 4 tournaments in a row in 2017. Hopefully he doesn't feel the yokozuna pressure too much and can allow himself to pull out occasionally to rest up and get back to form.

The real question to me is who's on deck for the next ozeki and yokozuna promotions. I don't know if Takakeisho's body is able to be consistent enough for the rope, and Mitakeumi is just too flaky. Of the up-and-comers Wakatakakage and Hoshoryu are promising, although this basho they're getting worked over a bit, along with my boy Kotonowaka. I just don't see another rope run this year, and even next year seems tough unless somebody really comes to life. It might be chaos for another couple years.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Now I seem to have 1 point more than I should after Day 8.

5-3 Terunofuji
5-3 Hoshoryu
6-2 Takanosho + kinboshi
4-4 Okinoumi
4-4 Meisei

= 25 points

Did you accidentally count the Hoshoryu screwjob as a win for him on day 8?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kinboshi are 2 bonus points! You got 24 points for wins, and 2 for the kinboshi, for a total of 26.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess a spoiler if someone has my team memorized, but I think I had one win today. Just decimated lol.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I do not trade unless someone goes out, but man Takayasu tempted me. How can someone who usually looks decent stink it up this bad? He really needs to get his poo poo together and rally in the back half.

Meanwhile, Big Dan is doing great.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Mitakeumi just plain forgetting that he was supposed to do sumo today, I guess? What the hell was that, big man?

It looked like Wakatakakage just gassed Takakeisho out, which seemed like a super risky strategy.

Takarafuji getting his first win was very bittersweet :unsmith:

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Takakeisho got robbed in a major way today. Wakatakage's hand touched down a second or two before the finish without anyone noticing.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Kenning posted:

Kinboshi are 2 bonus points! You got 24 points for wins, and 2 for the kinboshi, for a total of 26.

Huh. All these tournaments and I did not realise a k-win was worth 3 total points.

I'm always slightly bummed when two of my rikishi draw against each other but now I'm really glad Majin Buu won that match and both him and Kaiju are still in contention.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Skjorte posted:

Takakeisho got robbed in a major way today. Wakatakage's hand touched down a second or two before the finish without anyone noticing.

You want to talk about getting robbed, I swear the replay showed Kotonowaka's heel down waaaay before Hokutofuji was even on his way out of the ring.

Also, ahaha Teru.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm happy for Aoiyama :unsmith:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

net work error posted:

I'm happy for Aoiyama :unsmith:

I'm pulling for him this Basho. He's been around so long I'd like to see him grab one.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Skjorte posted:

I went back and had another look and I think you can see the marks in the clay from his fingertips. Wouldn't this be the second time that Wakatakakage's fingers have touched the dohyo from him letting his hands get too low?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ever since I saw an interview with Tobizaru in which he said he goes into each match with no plan whatsoever, I'm delighted to see what he does in the ring, win or lose. Hell, the man himself seems happier after a loss--like he's having the time of his life getting his poo poo kicked in by the big boys.

But the gyoji and shinpan better get their poo poo together. Too many bad calls, too many mono-ii gone unconvened. Even when it's my least favorite rikishi getting stiffed (eat poo poo, Takakeisho). The Japanese NHK commentators were looking right at the slow-mo replay of Wakapakawhaka's hand touching down and didn't say a word about it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Heroic Tokushoryu is doing well in juryo. I hope he can get back up soon.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takayasu cannot beat young guys with good lateral movement unless he can get a hard grip on them immediately.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Even though it favored me this time, I do think that Kotonowaka's win over Hokutofuji deserved a re-look. I didn't notice the Wakatakakage vs. Takakeisho situation, but overall it does seem like the new shimpan need a bit more willingness to stand up. Other than that, goddamn I love seeing the Kaiju pick dudes up.

Day 9 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
30	Banana Canada
30	Firebatgyro
29	Skjorte
28	bessantj
27	Jobbo_Fett
27	Khizan
27	sivad
27	some kinda jackal
27	Thauros
27	Tochiazuma
26	Kenning
26	Neodoomium
26	Tiny Bug Child
26	whats for dinner
25.5	scripterror
25	anakha
25	bartolimu
25	Eli949
25	MyChemicalImbalance
25	NuclearPotato
25	pseudodragon
25	QuasiQuack
25	Takuan
24	Everyones Favorite Poster
23.5	Marching Powder
23	Ice Phisherman
22	captainblastum
22	Chinook
22	Iron Chef Nex
22	Lexorin
22	Lid
22	Teddybear
21	MalarkeyToboggan
20.5	Communist Thoughts
19.5	Charles Gnarwin
19	GoatSeeGuy
19	jmzero
19	Netsky
18	Vargatron
17.5	Fluffdaddy
17	Crusty Nutsack
7	Beeswax
Juryo
code:
31	Saturnine Aberrance
26	ilmucche
26	ratmosphere
26	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
25	Flinger
25	ullerrm
24	Brut
24	KungFu Grip
24	Scythe
23	Pakled
23	Robviously
22	Boogalo
22	Gaghskull
22	Kuros
22	Liquid Communism
22	Log082
22	Maigius
22	Mode 7
22	Shiroc
20	LlamaTrauma
19	Helianthus Annuus
19	Spokes
17	Biosys
This appears to be another one of those basho where a lot of guys are hovering right around .500, so the kachi-koshi and make-koshi will really make a huge difference in fantasy. We might see some wild swings over the final weekend.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Hoshoryu really taking it to Terunofuji on the tachiai and then still trying stuff even after Teru got himself set was really great to see. There was no way he was beating him after Terunofuji got his stance set, but at least he was still trying trips and pivots with what little purchase his feet could get. It feels like there's a lot of younger guys who just go limp once Terunofuji's got them locked down..

I cannot believe I'm back into the middle of the pack after that disastrous start to the basho. I don't think I'll stay there once the KK and MK start rolling in though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I haven't watched day 10 yet but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Takayasu will lose to Takayasu.

I'm real bummed, gang. Real bummed.

I hope I can make it back to Japan to watch the hairball fight and probably lose one last time before he retires. The only tournament I attended was a Takayasu L so I'm cursed :lol:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Looks like someone yelled at the shimpan yesterday, because they were sure quick to get up today.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Kenning posted:

17 Crusty Nutsack

lmao

I shouldn't have even bothered to trade anyone, gently caress me

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
My team is doing well. Gonna eat one MK, most likely, from S H O D A I, but the rest of my team is 6-4 or 5-5, so good chances at KK for most of my team.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm constantly reminded by how much I like Kiribayama because he seems to be more emotive about his wins. That and I could swear he'd be(en) a yakuza henchman with his looks.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Beeswax with 7 points still is very funny.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Over all solid sumo today. The shimpan were certainly jumpy, but also there were a lot of genuinely close calls today. KK and MK starting to come in.

Day 10 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
35	Firebatgyro
33	Banana Canada
33	bessantj
33	Skjorte
31	Jobbo_Fett
30	Khizan
30	sivad
30	some kinda jackal
30	Tochiazuma
30	whats for dinner
29.5	Thauros
29	Kenning
29	MyChemicalImbalance
29	Neodoomium
29	Takuan
29	Tiny Bug Child
28	anakha
28	bartolimu
28	Ice Phisherman
28	NuclearPotato
28	pseudodragon
27.5	Eli949
27	Everyones Favorite Poster
27	Iron Chef Nex
27	QuasiQuack
27	Teddybear
26.5	scripterror
25.5	Marching Powder
25	Lexorin
24.5	captainblastum
24	Chinook
24	Lid
23	jmzero
22	Communist Thoughts
21.5	Charles Gnarwin
21.5	GoatSeeGuy
21.5	MalarkeyToboggan
21.5	Netsky
20.5	Vargatron
19	Crusty Nutsack
17.5	Fluffdaddy
7	Beeswax
Juryo
code:
33	Saturnine Aberrance
30.5	ullerrm
29	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
28	Brut
28	Flinger
28	ilmucche
27.5	KungFu Grip
27	Pakled
27	ratmosphere
27	Scythe
26	Kuros
26	Robviously
25	Log082
25	Maigius
24.5	Gaghskull
24.5	Liquid Communism
24	Boogalo
23.5	Shiroc
22.5	Mode 7
21.5	Helianthus Annuus
21.5	LlamaTrauma
21	Spokes
19.5	Biosys

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KungFu Grip posted:

Beeswax with 7 points still is very funny.

:psyduck:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

He went kyujo, and is no longer accruing points.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Kenning posted:

He went kyujo, and is no longer accruing points.

Oh i missed that part, thought they just picked the worst roster ever

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Someone deciding to ride or die with Kotokuzan, Takarafuji and Shodai would be a noble hero of fantasy sumo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I think I reached 24 points four days ago and my score hasn't moved since. From top five to bottom.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Time to get the calculators out for Makushita!

At Ms1 both Chiyonoumi and Nishikawa are on 3-3. If they can both win their last bouts that'll be them up. Hokuseiho is 4-2 at Ms2, you have to feel that's enough to get him promoted even if he loses his last bout.

After that Chiyosakae is 4-2 at Ms3, if he wins his last bout he'll have a strong chance for promotion. Kinbozan is 5-1 at Ms4, going 6-1 would do his chances well. Oshoma is 6-0 at Ms8, another win either gives him the title or puts him into the play offs with Kitaharima (who is at Ms30) depending on match ups/results. If he does take the yusho that should get him promoted.

Of course this all depends on who will be falling from Juryo. Currently Shohozan, Daishomaru, Akua and Yago are all guaranteed MK but I think Akua is high enough up to miss the drop. Yago could be in danger if his results are sufficiently bad, he's currently 3-8 and would probably need to lose all his remaining bouts to drop down. Chiyoarashi, Kaisei, Our dear Enho and Chiyonokuni are all on the brink and again it would depend on how bad the results are to see if they go down or stay up but Chiyonokuni is J2 so probably safe and Chiyoarashi is J13 so probably hosed unless he can go KK. Tochimaru, Takakento and Churanoumi are all near the bottom and on 6-5 so squeaky bum time for them.

Obviously we'll have a better picture by the weekend.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Shodai.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lid posted:

Shodai.

He is resisting the Shodai, they're feeding him Tobizaru tomorrow.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

bessantj posted:

He is resisting the Shodai, they're feeding him Tobizaru tomorrow.

he did a cartwheel

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Felt like a pretty straightforward day of sumo today without any super wacky surprises. Hoshoryu's gonna get himself yelled at again for going for the least perceptible possible bow after losing a match

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

bessantj posted:

Of course this all depends on who will be falling from Juryo. Currently Shohozan, Daishomaru, Akua and Yago are all guaranteed MK but I think Akua is high enough up to miss the drop.
Been a sad descent for my man Shohozan.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 18, 2022

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Been a sad decent for my man Shohozan.

Pour a gold mawashi out for our boy

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Okinoumi was pretty much Mini Kaiju, carrying Midorifuji out by his shoulders.

Fight of the night for me was probably WTK/Mitakeumi or Oho/Kotoeko. Both were great belt games that could have gone either way.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Been a sad descent for my man Shohozan.

He's not hurt just old as hell, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

He’s 38, yeah.