Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

I don't want more Tennant.

There, I've said it.

Have to say, this is where I am. There's something about RTD returning, then bringing back Tennant, and then the enormous degree of leaks over this shoot all screaming "really cynical damage control."

PantsOptional posted:

Clearly it’s the Rani. Or a Rutan. Or both.

"Donna Noble is a Rutan!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

the regeneration energy explodes and there's no actual regeneration shown. the sixtieth is dreams of old doctors fixing things. 10 fixes Donna and gives her a better ending. 4 saves Nyssa's planet. 1 saves Sarah Kingdom. 5 lets Adric die again. But the wraparound is the 10/Donna story, and then we see the regeneration and they technobabble all that as Regeneration Magic.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
The Master regenerates into the 10th Doctor because we need Tennant as a villain

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

jisforjosh posted:

The Master regenerates into the 10th Doctor because we need Tennant as a villain

Acceptable. Especially if Master Tennant used his natural accent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wolfechu posted:

Has there been anything 'official' in the announcements that said Tennant is returning as the Doctor? Or just that Tennant is returning?

Because if we don't see that regeneration, we might have a new Master.

He's the Valeyard.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jisforjosh posted:

This would be great and I really want to see it now.

MasterTen, looking in a mirror:
“Finally, a convincing disguise!”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Honestly, if you think they’re going to pass up Jodie regenerating into Tennant so he can look in the mirror and not do his patented “What…? What? …WHAT?!” as a cliffhanger, you don’t know RTD very well.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I find it hard to not be cynical when RTD exits with Tennant regenerating and then RTD returns with Tennant regenerating and isn't somehow poo-pooing 3+ Doctors and a decade or 70% of the nu-Who he was absent from.

I know for a fact that a bunch of people want to watch DW for the first time because of the Ncuti announcement, and I feel like they're going to be disappointed with this nostalgia focus; and likewise, the mainstream audience who're getting baited by Tennant returning are going to bounce hard off once he turns into Ncuti (see also racism). I feel like it's going to be a disservice to everyone.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Szmitten posted:

I find it hard to not be cynical when RTD exits with Tennant regenerating and then RTD returns with Tennant regenerating and isn't somehow poo-pooing 3+ Doctors and a decade or 70% of the nu-Who he was absent from.

I know for a fact that a bunch of people want to watch DW for the first time because of the Ncuti announcement, and I feel like they're going to be disappointed with this nostalgia focus; and likewise, the mainstream audience who're getting baited by Tennant returning are going to bounce hard off once he turns into Ncuti (see also racism). I feel like it's going to be a disservice to everyone.

I want to say this is a bit of a snap reaction but honestly? I kinda feel the same way about this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Szmitten posted:

I know for a fact that a bunch of people want to watch DW for the first time because of the Ncuti announcement,

Very much so, this was the prevailing mood on black Twitter:

https://twitter.com/tiannathewriter/status/1523272867340685312

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I dropped off hard in Capaldi's first season, RTD coming back started to reignite my interest, but if as everyone's saying Tennant is coming back as the next doctor and not some sort of day of the doctor thing it's kind of killed the tiny amount of interest I had :(

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, it's the 60th so Tennant coming back makes sense to me. I'm gonna be way more surprised if Tennant is the only Doctor to come back. Maybe it's just foolish of me, but I'm still expecting this to largely be misdirection.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think it's cynical. Davies really liked his run on Doctor Who but it's been over a decade, it was a very difficult time for him with what was going on with his partner, and he probably has his own feelings about "his" Doctors and companions that he has the unique ability to revisit with some perspective.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
*furiously banging on table*
BRING
BACK
MATT
SMITH

We even know RTD can write him (well, even!)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

*furiously banging on table*
BRING
BACK
MATT
SMITH

We even know RTD can write him (well, even!)

I'm going to be really surprised if he doesn't come back. It seems kind of a no-brainer, honestly. I'm hoping Capaldi comes back too, but that one seems a little less likely.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I had a dream last night that all three of them were back.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It'll be interesting to see which other Doctors they've secured for the upcoming centenary (I gather there are several coming back -- this is from the same discord source that said the thing about the three Catherine Tate / Tennant specials and the dodgy Sea Devil stuff from the Easter episode, so I've started to trust them).

I mean, take me with a grain of salt, I get it. But the rumours are kinda wild.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a distraction from filming the real specials, Tennent just out there to get everyone whipped up but the cameras aren't even on.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want Jodie to come back so she can have at least one special written by someone who isn't Chibnal

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Burkion posted:

I want Jodie to come back so she can have at least one special written by someone who isn't Chibnal

lol yeah. i thought capaldi got a bad run of it but at least he got a couple good episodes and a distinct personality

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Capaldi's last season was close to perfect. Two real stinkers, one terrible Christmas special, otherwise incredible stuff.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Dabir posted:

Capaldi's last season was close to perfect. Two real stinkers, one terrible Christmas special, otherwise incredible stuff.

The stinkers being the monk two parter? For me season 10 is definitely in my top three seasons.
1. S1.
2. S5
3. S10
Spoiler content. I really am looking foward to seeing Cribbs again!! Never thought he would be back in a million years! Also am digging the new sonic.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 22, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Extremis had a promising setup, which Pyramid at the End of the World pissed away (written by one Peter Harness (Kill the Moon/Zygon Invasion/Inversion) and Moffat didn't do much to curb the crap; any time the military was on screen in Harness's writing was appalling)

Lie of the Land I'm somewhat mixed on since it has massive Half-Life 2 vibes in its aesthetic, which brought it up for me

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think I ended up prefering Pyramid to Lie of the Land just because Pyramid didn't feature the Doctor playing cruel mind games on Bill.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pyramid is just godawfully written start to finish. Lie of the Land was given an untenably poo poo starting point and locked into an end goal and kinda makes it across the line by the end but it's still not really any good. It sucks that the worst episodes of Moffat's first and last seasons (which were his best seasons) were so important to the ongoing arcs. If The Beast Below or Empress of Mars had sucked, who cares, they're basically safe skips.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's funny you say this because Moffat HATES beast below and thinks it's a hackjob

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I really, really like The Beast Below and I think it's one of Matt Smith's all time best acted episode

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

It's funny you say this because Moffat HATES beast below and thinks it's a hackjob

It was fairly extensively reshot as well, with uncredited work by Euros Lynn.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I just went looking for this quote. Didn't find it, but I did find this pretty scathing takedown of the Chibnall era. Probably worth a read.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

I really, really like The Beast Below and I think it's one of Matt Smith's all time best acted episode

Same here. When it first aired I thought it had been stealth written by Neil Gaiman, since I think he had been announced as writing an episode around then. Ended up being better than both of his episodes!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I feel like the Beast Below is a 10th Doctor script that they retooled for 11.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
IIRC it was the very first filmed 11 story, specifically so that when Smith filmed The Eleventh Hour he’d already have a feel for 11’s personality.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC it was the very first filmed 11 story, specifically so that when Smith filmed The Eleventh Hour he’d already have a feel for 11’s personality.

I think the first filmed ones were the ones where he has a different jacket and haircut, so the Angels two parter and the silly Daleks one. Certainly he seems to have more of a grip lf and developed direction for the character in TBB and The Eleventh Hour in comparison, I think.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I seem to recall them talking about how Matt Smiths first scenes as The Doctor were filmed on the beach for the Angels 2 parter.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

I feel like the Beast Below is a 10th Doctor script that they retooled for 11.

I've always felt that it was the episode where they sort of nailed down a lot of the tonal differences between 10 and 11. While The Elventh Hour is magnificent, it actually doesn't feel very different from a 10 episode.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I like TBB (much more so than The Eleventh Hour), although am always slightly offput by the wipes

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Dabir posted:

I just went looking for this quote. Didn't find it, but I did find this pretty scathing takedown of the Chibnall era. Probably worth a read.

This read is extremely obsequious to the Moffat era to the point where it actually passes down some of its failings to fan expectations, so IMO it's not that great. Moffat wasn't clever when he broke the fan's expectations of a 'return to Gallifrey' arc because, frankly, he was the one to set up those expectations with the way he ended the 50th.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, there's a few things in that article I really don't like, including the above.

There's also this appeal to good taste at one point, which, yeah, I get the notion behind it, but it's kinda arbitrary and classist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's a lot I like in the article but stuff like the defence of Hell Bent doesn't work for me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Moffat's first season is really good and his last season with Capaldi is great but the stuff in the middle can be REALLY hit or miss. The 60th was great but it took years to Clara's character down as a thing, Amy is less fleshed out version of Rose (it helps that Karen Gillian is just talented as an actress) and his reliance on Riversong bogs down a lot of his tenure.

I think his tenure is a bit overrated to fans because the start and end are so good and he nailed the 50th but there is a lot to annoy or not like in there.