Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's why i really liked turtle/shield wall formations in 3K. You can get your units close without losing many people at all and range exists as either a pressure to get you moving or a killer for unshielded elite killer units.

Granted 100% is a little insane in the case of turtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've gone back to Ham 2 for a Norsca campaign, since they're one of the few I never got around to. It's a lot of fun! I consolidated my initial province as Wulfrik and then immediately jumped on Bretonnia. I had like three extremely hairy battles in a row, and was saved mostly by Louen's refusal to recruit proper knights; managed to kill him off around turn 20. Despite their awful campaign mechanics (5 turns to global-recruit basic infantry), Norsca is amazing in battles, their infantry just hit so hard. Anyway literally everything else in Bretonnia has been overrun by Moussilon and Ikit, so I'm now trying to kill of Franz. He's already confederated with Gelt and Talabecland, but I'm in a good position to take Altdorf. I've been majorly neglecting actually razing towns for the gods, should be able to make up for it once Franz is out of the picture. Luckily, all the rest of Norsca has been confederated by one of my friends (who asks me for $2k every now and then but I don't mind too much). I forgot how nice the defeat->confederation mechanic is; if they betray me, I just need to beat their faction leader, and the war basically ends.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Also more powerful techs further limits usefulness of allies. Which is part of why I generally liked the techs and redline as-is. Again, while the game had some problems, I'm not sure the reddit hivemind identified them all correctly.

You could just give the allied units whatever tech the ally has. Red-line skills on lords are more of a problem.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the one idea id like to see is damage falloff so range isn't the end all be all for ranged units. indirect shots ought to be less damaging as well. it doesn't help that "AP" is so binary, as is the notion of something hitting something else or not.

really tho the biggest issue that makes ranged op in campaign is just too many stacking bonuses to ammo, and that the ai is really terrible at dealing with it. in mp you generally want two or three infantry units for every ranged since players will mercilessly try to throttle any ranged unit you've got - even as wood elves you'd rather not have your elite fire-while-moving fae lads waste all their expertly crafted arrows on some menacing goblins running after them.

What is too many stacking bonuses? You got a tech that might give ten percent more and a red line skill that might give another 5-10 percent. That's maybe 4 additional volleys at best. Most units that have good long range arcing fire don't have good ap values, and firing indirectly greatly increases the hang time of the projectile making it easier to avoid or accidently hit friendly units.

Another solution could be to vary the maximum arc of the projectile so weapons like repeater crossbows ending up halfway between arrows and bullets in arc.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

You could just give the allied units whatever tech the ally has. Red-line skills on lords are more of a problem.

Units you are using from allies should always be “weaker” than your own units in some way. You shouldn’t be able to use fully powered up units that aren’t naturally yours.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah the allied recruitment system feels fine as is. It's either for filling up obvious gaps in the roster like ranged units for daemon factions, or simply for flavor/fun.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Definitely looking forward to allied recruitment as Bretonnia just to really play up the feudal vibes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am excited for dogs of war which is just allied recruitment bonus x 2

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All I’ve ever wanted is to bring elf monsters and dwarf artillery into my Empire army.

Combined arms? Combined armies!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

"Screening" ranged fire can't really exist as long as a ranged unit can do full damage at full range in an arc over any potential screens.

a sort of it does, where you just run the infantry at the ranged guys so they either have to shoot it (good), waste time running from it (good), or get something else to intercept. it is the reason you don't mass all your ranged units together in mp, since then one unit can chase them all around the place.

e: delete all techs and red skills and replace them with a better game mechanic, like making individual unit upgrades a universal mechanic

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 20, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Panfilo posted:

What is too many stacking bonuses? You got a tech that might give ten percent more and a red line skill that might give another 5-10 percent. That's maybe 4 additional volleys at best. Most units that have good long range arcing fire don't have good ap values, and firing indirectly greatly increases the hang time of the projectile making it easier to avoid or accidently hit friendly units.

Darkshards, all flavors of Shade, Starfire Glade Guard, Waywatchers, and Sisters of Avelorn are all primarily AP. Jezzails have arcing fire(for some reason) and are primarily AP(as do Crane Gunners, because they're pretty much Jeezails). You also have weird units like Ushabti Greatbows.

But huge AP values aren't the only real issue with regards to ranged AP. The ability for arcing fire units to mass focus fire on units means even a couple points of AP on arc fire ranged units adds up enormously. Yeah, high elf archers only have 3 points of AP to go with their 16 points of normal damage baseline, but you can drill a unit with 4 units of archers and that adds up enormously. It's a lot different than, say, some high elf spearmen having a few points of AP - they have to beat melee defense, which is the strongest defensive stat in the game, and the entire unit can't get into combat simultaneously and you can't focus fire a unit with 4 regiments of spearmen and have all the spearmen attacking.

This aspect really comes out when you're playing Grom and can mass goblin archers that have like 160 dudes in a unit and can get an upgrade that gives them a couple of points of AP.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Panfilo posted:

imo it is too many when it + damage and rates of fire buffs means you can have a stationary, fully ranged army completely trash a full melee army without ever running out of ammo. four additional vollys can end up titling it to that point, yes. i think there are too many zero cost buffs in campaign, in general - but there are very few that improve damage mitigation from ranged fire, compared to the amount that improves it.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 20, 2022

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Units you are using from allies should always be “weaker” than your own units in some way. You shouldn’t be able to use fully powered up units that aren’t naturally yours.

Agreed although this would be a solid niche for a new LL: red buffs effecting ally units and extra ally unit slots and so on

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Chad Jihad posted:

Agreed although this would be a solid niche for a new LL: red buffs effecting ally units and extra ally unit slots and so on

That's a good idea. I think caravan masters should get it for sure, that makes a lot of sense for their role, not sure about who makes sense from other races unless they come up with new ones.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

The Chad Jihad posted:

This is my dogs of war buff thanks

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

jokes posted:

All I’ve ever wanted is to bring elf monsters and dwarf artillery into my Empire army.

Combined arms? Combined armies!

I want dwarf infantry in my Empire gun lines.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ultimate team up: anything with Minotaurs

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Personally, I have always thought Drycha and Settra would make the ultimate couple and I'm thinking treekin with Ushabti frontline would be fun, lore of life and constructs in general is obscene

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If every LL at the beginning of the game just got to pick a best friend that would be great

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dwarfs and Empire, so I don't have to interact with my army after deployment

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

jokes posted:

If every LL at the beginning of the game just got to pick a best friend that would be great

want to see Taurox Throgg buddy comedy

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No joke I’d love to just pick a best friend LL at the beginning. Do a vampire playthrough where empire is friends not food, and we join teams to gobble up the elector counts together :thumbsup:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

jokes posted:

No joke I’d love to just pick a best friend LL at the beginning. Do a vampire playthrough where empire is friends not food, and we join teams to gobble up the elector counts together :thumbsup:

Can you boot up a co-op multiplayer campaign with one of the players missing? If so, does AI take over the second faction you're in a forced military alliance with?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

With allied units that’d be an interesting idea. Come on IE, gently caress

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I want dwarf infantry in my Empire gun lines.
can already get some of this this with streltsi firing over the heads of dwarf ironbreakers. it is good.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Twigand Berries posted:

want to see Taurox Throgg buddy comedy

Taurox and Skarbrand RAEG the world to death. Together. :allears:

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Gonkish posted:

Taurox and Skarbrand RAEG the world to death. Together. :allears:

It’d be like Legolas and Gimli with some poor plaguebearer trying to keep count

GIGADEATH

look my handgunners shoot over dwarf he..GIGADEATH

GIGADEATH

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

i can’t believe these fuckers with the blood where’s my blooooooooood

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgWZaUfKjI
gently caress these modders are getting really good those models are awesome esp the dragon.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I played a bunch of campaign at launch, but I mainly play these games in mp in coop with a buddy.
Do we have any idea how the different chaos factions play with others if you are allied with another?

Was pretty annoying in previous where we were restricted on factions which we could realistically choose due to where their corruption hosed my allies

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You can go with Demon Prince + 1 Chaos faction. Can even devote to that faction for maximum roleplay. Had no chaos overlap doing this with a friend. Or just separate your gains and don't aggressively spread corruption to adjacent provinces. Take one province for Faction 1, then one for Faction 2, trading cities is really great for this in the new WH3 diplomacy.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

One of the things I want to see once IE drops is an 8 player coop Chaos campaign. The 4 monogods, Daniel, WoC, Norsca, and Beastmen working together to poo poo on the world? Seems like it would end really quickly.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arghy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgWZaUfKjI
gently caress these modders are getting really good those models are awesome esp the dragon.

Oh dang that's actually really sick. Looking forward to what modders can do with the third game once IE is released

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Reik posted:

Can you boot up a co-op multiplayer campaign with one of the players missing? If so, does AI take over the second faction you're in a forced military alliance with?

Start from scratch no, I don't think so.

But you can continue a multiplayer game with less than the # of starting humans I believe and the AI does take over. So if you started with 3 it will let you launch a rehost with 2. But I'm not sure it will let you start an originally 2 player one with just a solo person.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 21, 2022

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

Start from scratch no, I don't think so.

But you can continue a multiplayer game with less than the # of starting humans I believe and the AI does take over. So if you started with 3 it will let you launch a rehost with 2. But I'm not sure it will let you start an originally 2 player one with just a solo person.

I was thinking you get someone to start the campaign with you and then they immediately drop, leaving you with a "solo campaign" + 1 military alliance

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Fake Rasputin makes such a good backup emergency recruitment/suicide lord its almost a shame. Between his global recruitment and general recruitment discounts he can very cheaply (or freely) raise nearly a full stack in 1 to 2 turns and he personally recovers in maybe 2 turns anyway. Terrible skills for an LL, great skills to just pop up anywhere you quickly need an army and then disband. Katarin and the Ice Witches (and Boris) make up your regular army needs and he just acts as a permanent potential army or short term roadblock. Having him get wounded means basically nothing. And with the way XP has changed in terms of how fast lords gain it, he isnt missing out much like he would have in WH1/2

But yeah as an LL those advantages are all worthless.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

jokes posted:

It would be cool if Vlad or Manfred could play elector politics like the human factions.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I believe dominating/seducing major factions as Slaanesh is a recent addition but does anyone know if it stops them from competing in the Ursun race?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Fake Rasputin makes such a good backup emergency recruitment/suicide lord its almost a shame. Between his global recruitment and general recruitment discounts he can very cheaply (or freely) raise nearly a full stack in 1 to 2 turns and he personally recovers in maybe 2 turns anyway. Terrible skills for an LL, great skills to just pop up anywhere you quickly need an army and then disband. Katarin and the Ice Witches (and Boris) make up your regular army needs and he just acts as a permanent potential army or short term roadblock. Having him get wounded means basically nothing. And with the way XP has changed in terms of how fast lords gain it, he isnt missing out much like he would have in WH1/2

But yeah as an LL those advantages are all worthless.

Yeah, the ability to literally poof into existence a near full stack of war sleds anywhere in a turn is silly stupid

The thing that was kinda annoying is that once you confederate him the sacred tree building becomes super expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

imo it is too many when it + damage and rates of fire buffs means you can have a stationary, fully ranged army completely trash a full melee army without ever running out of ammo. four additional vollys can end up titling it to that point, yes. i think there are too many zero cost buffs in campaign, in general - but there are very few that improve damage mitigation from ranged fire, compared to the amount that improves it.

Just give melee whatever the gently caress Ungrim has in my Skryre campaign where I need to shoot him for 8 hours in order for him to keel over.

(Don't actually do this, I'd hate it)