Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Looks cool!

I like that it's holding back and not revealing too much. Also it's great that people are giving George Miller money to make poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Dope trailer. I like the Tarsem vibes.

Off course, that's what it kept reminding me of.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tim Whatley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJsT-O8iQTY

Chris Pratt finally getting to live out his chud fantasies, based on a book by a hyper chud

Holy poo poo that's bad. Like... wayyyyyyyy bad. Hate to see it for Chris Pratt no ya don't.

Why did he have to turn out that way? I mean he was poised to be an even huger star. Went from awesome Andy Dwyer to awesome Star Lord and then just took a huge steaming dump on his own career by turning out to be a total shithead.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Amazon Prime essentially has a Black Rifle Coffee Movie Division that churns out Tom Clancy pap, so this is right in their wheelhouse.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
he's still star lord, and he's the lead in Jurassic Park movies, which i wouldn't call the most prestigious listing available but he obviously hasn't lost clout with hollywood yet

i dont think execs particularly care about his views as long as he has puts butts in seats, which is tragically still the case

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Venuz Patrol posted:

he's still star lord, and he's the lead in Jurassic Park movies, which i wouldn't call the most prestigious listing available but he obviously hasn't lost clout with hollywood yet

i dont think execs particularly care about his views as long as he has puts butts in seats, which is tragically still the case

I bet once his contracts are fulfilled for Marvel and JP he probably won't be on any more big ones after that. I feel like those are just lingering effects. (Could be wrong though)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Tim Whatley posted:

Chris Pratt finally getting to live out his chud fantasies, based on a book by a hyper chud

Looks like poo poo. Antoine Fuqua directed this?! If I didn't even watch their Michael B. Jordan/Tom Clancy movie there's no way they're getting me to watch this sludge.

I do like Taylor Kitsch though, so good for him getting a paycheck, I guess.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Venuz Patrol posted:

Who watches dinosaur movies for Chris Pratt? I'm here for the dinosaurs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just watch Prehistoric Planet and skip the Trevorrow sludge

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm reading about this series on good reads and lmao that it does the scp redacted thing

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i hadnt actually watched the trailer until now and i'm almost irrationally annoyed at them using war pigs for the backing track

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Venuz Patrol posted:

i hadnt actually watched the trailer until now and i'm almost irrationally annoyed at them using war pigs for the backing track

"Generals gathered in their masses" followed by a shot of military commanders meeting? ChristianBaleGoodForYou.mp3

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

oh cool another Pratt movie where he gets to cosplay as an tier-one operator, like an unironic Nick Mullen

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FoneBone posted:

to be fair, I'll watch Tilda in anything, but I'm definitely in for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGvntl9itE&t=1s

oh wow

anyone wondering what the song with the creepy descending melody that plays halfway through and at the end, it's Canadian band SUUNS

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

FoneBone posted:

to be fair, I'll watch Tilda in anything, but I'm definitely in for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGvntl9itE&t=1s

looks sickkk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LesterGroans posted:

Michael B. Jordan/Tom Clancy movie

oh hey i watched that!

per clancy, theres lots of jingoism & plot is too convoluted for its own good (quadruple-crosses & russian sleeper agents) and yet the script is lazily straightforward.

but tbh jordan carried it through for me... so, i guess its ok for a lazy whatever's on type deal or if you feel like seeing him gently caress up dudes?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That Chris Pratt show looks bad, but it's not really all that surprising given what I think is brewing in military/political movies and TV shows right now. Something similar happened at the tail end of the Cold War, and for the decade after it, where we got a ton of movies about how awesome America was, and how nothing could stand in our way. Like all the Jack Ryan movies where, even if in some of them the main enemies were part of the government, there would still be the "good government guys" to save us. Like Clear and Present Danger, where sure, the President was the bad guy, but Harrison Ford and James Earl Jones, the Deputy Director and Director of the god drat CIA, are the good guys. There's a great podcast that breaks down the movies from that era, and what they did to us as a movie going audience (short version, really hosed up both liberals and conservatives, but there's more to it than that) called Unclear and Present Danger that I can't recommend enough. One of their points was that after 9/11, most people thought the war that followed would be over very quickly, because movies had shown America being so efficient at war, that al-Qaeda didn't stand a god drat chance. I remember people talking about how soon there would be a "Lake Afghanistan", as hosed up as that is. And then that just didn't happen, and there was a large culture shock as a result.

Now we're in a (sort of) post War on Terror era where soldiers are coming back from unwinnable wars we never should have been in, where the perception is that the soldiers signed up for the right reasons (whatever you think of them, I'm talking what the movie going audience by and large think) and are now being screwed and left behind by the government they signed up to serve. Hence why we're getting stuff like this, and that very similar looking Chris Pine movie (loving Chris's) called The Contractor, where good soldiers who have come home from the war try to right the wrongs done to them by those above them.

These movies will likely also gently caress up an entire generation or two.

fake edit: I don't know how to reconcile the Jack Ryan TV show with all of this. I haven't watched it, because I have no desire to, but that is a weird anomaly, to me. A show, today, where the CIA are the good guys.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 20, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that all checks out except for "Now we're in a (sort of) post War on Terror era where soldiers are coming back"

that very short period was like 5-10 years ago. soldiers were still coming back even last year, but "everyone" has been over it for a long while & the only english-language movies about it are weird Segal type poo poo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

fake edit: I don't know how to reconcile the Jack Ryan TV show with all of this. I haven't watched it, because I have no desire to, but that is a weird anomaly, to me. A show, today, where the CIA are the good guys.

John Krasinski irl strikes me as the type to work for the CIA

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

John Krasinski irl strikes me as the type to work for the CIA

John Krasinski irl does work for the CIA. (or "with" I guess)

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh hey i watched that!

per clancy, theres lots of jingoism & plot is too convoluted for its own good (quadruple-crosses & russian sleeper agents) and yet the script is lazily straightforward.

but tbh jordan carried it through for me... so, i guess its ok for a lazy whatever's on type deal or if you feel like seeing him gently caress up dudes?

Love MBJ, so maybe I'll save it for a weekend hangover movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Carthag Tuek posted:

that all checks out except for "Now we're in a (sort of) post War on Terror era where soldiers are coming back"

that very short period was like 5-10 years ago. soldiers were still coming back even last year, but "everyone" has been over it for a long while & the only english-language movies about it are weird Segal type poo poo

Fair, I phrased it poorly it. I should have said, "Soldiers have been home from the wars trying to reintegrate for a little while now, and there is a discontent/malaise about what happened there, and people are trying to find blame for what went wrong."

And as far as there being no English-language movies about it, well, this Pratt show is a show, but there's this, and the Pine movie I mentioned. My thinking is that we're about to get a lot more of them. But when I phrased it as "Soldiers coming back," yeah, there's not really any of those movies.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 20, 2022

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Also The Card Counter.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ok yeah, I gotcha. I feel like there's been a lull, but now that "the war is over," there will definitely be an uptick yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZOLq82m2Ks&t=7s

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Eggnogium posted:

Also The Card Counter.

I'd actually never heard of this movie, but watching the trailer just now, wow, yes, that definitely fits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvVT1cDiNc

It also looks pretty decent, and at least like a more honest take on the subject. Is it any good?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yes, it's Paul Schrader. It was one of last years best movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

John Krasinski irl does work for the CIA. (or "with" I guess)

Ahh, I see, so he joins Ben Affleck in the prestigious club

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I'd actually never heard of this movie, but watching the trailer just now, wow, yes, that definitely fits.

It also looks pretty decent, and at least like a more honest take on the subject. Is it any good?

Yeah, it’s really good. The abu ghraib stuff is terrifying and excellently reckoned with.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

It has some very intense and good moments, needed a bit more time in the edit imo. Not quite the quality that First Reformed was.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jewmanji posted:

Yes, it's Paul Schrader. It was one of last years best movies.

Eggnogium posted:

Yeah, it’s really good. The abu ghraib stuff is terrifying and excellently reckoned with.

Excellent. It's on the "to watch very soon" list.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that looks interesting, so i typed into my streaming service: "the carrrd" like i was teddy fuckin kgb. i guess the poker theme got me

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Just watched the trailer and lol it hilariously misrepresents the tone, makes it look like a Tarantino movie. It's a very somber, lonely film (like all the best Schrader).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Eggnogium posted:

Just watched the trailer and lol it hilariously misrepresents the tone, makes it look like a Tarantino movie. It's a very somber, lonely film (like all the best Schrader).

Yeah, I kind of figured once I saw Schrader's name, and when Haddish wasn't all that unleashed (which she would be, in a trailer, if she was at all in the movie). But that's a good thing, for this kind of movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

First Reformed was amazing, but tbh i felt it chickened out at the end. Should've gone all the way.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I loved First Reformed. The Card Counter isn't quite at that level, but it's still great.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

interview with george miller

https://deadline.com/2022/05/george-miller-cannes-three-thousand-years-of-longing-1235020237/

edit; he calls his daughter "Gussie" :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 20, 2022

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

interview with george miller
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, they're already shooting Furiosa. :rock:

Also: shout out to Happy Feet 2, which owns and has shots that would make Sam Raimi plotz.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
george miller positioned to become the next actual Great Director, get duked Tarantino et al

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Too bad he’s almost 80 :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah usually old directors are like "well, they're fine", like lou reed solo albums, but george straight up poised to have his two best films also be his two most recent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Tim Whatley posted:

I’ve never heard of this jack carr fella

:frogon: