Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Getting into the gauss hog and discovering I'd never be able to actually use it was the most heartbreaking moment. I've been waiting for this video just so I can vent about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

09 - Coastal Highway

The city is lost, but Vergil has been found. The only thing left to do is make a dramatic exit.

Quote for new page.

Deformed Church posted:

Getting into the gauss hog and discovering I'd never be able to actually use it was the most heartbreaking moment. I've been waiting for this video just so I can vent about it.

That's what co-op is for!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The ending of this level always seemed a little anticlimactic to me. Sure, there's the approaching carrier in the background, but otherwise it's kind of just a pleasant sunset and other than the waves of enemies it doesn't feel as 'final' as the finales of the other games.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

bewilderment posted:

The ending of this level always seemed a little anticlimactic to me. Sure, there's the approaching carrier in the background, but otherwise it's kind of just a pleasant sunset and other than the waves of enemies it doesn't feel as 'final' as the finales of the other games.

Did ODST come out in the era of the interactive cutscene? Because they could have made a boss fight out of trying to shove the Engineer into the transport beam. Or borrowed from Saint's Row IV and had the Phantom try to do a barrel roll.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I mean, in a lot of ways it isn't final. This is all still less than a day after Metropolis happened, and the Battle of Earth is going to keep going for a couple months yet. The objective isn't finishing the fight (tm), it's getting you and your squad out of this hellscape and back into relative safety.

Also, it's a sunrise. Apparently we were down in the datacenter a lot longer than it looked.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In regards to what kind of ideas you can do in Halo a Youtube channel I watch had a recent video comparing Mass Effect to Warhammer/40K. Both are fictions with a ton of ~lore~, alien races, factions within factions within factions, crazy historical events from entire worlds with their own history, cultural clashes, just so much to draw on for almost anything you want to do with it. Yet Mass Effect only had 4 mainline games, 1 of which is resetting things to 0 in a new location anyways, and a smattering of other media (books, animation) because EA keeps it under lock and key whereas Warhammer and 40K probably have something for you no matter what kind of genre of video game, movie, or book you're looking for because (at least more recently) Games Workshop have just been giving it out to anybody who can demonstrate they can make something. There's something to be said about trying to make sure everything you make for A Thing is always of consistent quality but that can also make everything into a sort of grey mush of similarities. Sure there's a ton of poo poo Warhammer games now but you probably only remember the good ones anyways unless its a spectacular failure. You could apply the exact same comparison to Halo where there's always hints of big things going on over there just off screen but the game is about a space soldier shooting space aliens with space guns so it always has to be just that. Halo Reach was praised just for having the "audacity" of putting a space soldier into an inevitable lost battle.

Anyways game still good and so was LP.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

That's what co-op is for!

I do remember this level being a lot of fun on co-op.

bewilderment posted:

It definitely doesn't have the same feeling of scale as the others, but I'm not sure I'd agree with "anticlimactic". Running away from a giant explosion as there are a lot of smaller explosions happening all over the place has a pretty intense feeling to it. But I always liked the progression in this level. The carriers start showing up and buzzing overhead, and then the giant one shows up, and the city starts being glassed. It's different, but I still like it.

Kibayasu posted:

In regards to what kind of ideas you can do in Halo a Youtube channel I watch had a recent video comparing Mass Effect to Warhammer/40K. Both are fictions with a ton of ~lore~, alien races, factions within factions within factions, crazy historical events from entire worlds with their own history, cultural clashes, just so much to draw on for almost anything you want to do with it. Yet Mass Effect only had 4 mainline games, 1 of which is resetting things to 0 in a new location anyways, and a smattering of other media (books, animation) because EA keeps it under lock and key whereas Warhammer and 40K probably have something for you no matter what kind of genre of video game, movie, or book you're looking for because (at least more recently) Games Workshop have just been giving it out to anybody who can demonstrate they can make something. There's something to be said about trying to make sure everything you make for A Thing is always of consistent quality but that can also make everything into a sort of grey mush of similarities. Sure there's a ton of poo poo Warhammer games now but you probably only remember the good ones anyways unless its a spectacular failure. You could apply the exact same comparison to Halo where there's always hints of big things going on over there just off screen but the game is about a space soldier shooting space aliens with space guns so it always has to be just that. Halo Reach was praised just for having the "audacity" of putting a space soldier into an inevitable lost battle.

Granted that I don't know a whole lot about Warhammer, but I think the difference is that its lore was intended to be a framework for people to tell their own stories, rather than a story in itself. Sort of like how Rimworld calls itself a story generator. The thing with Halo and Mass Effect is that they are trying to tell a specific story, and a specific story with very important, high-stakes outcomes. It seems like it should be easy to just tell a different story where one faction is fighting another, but people always want to know how it fits into the main story. I think Reach was kind of an exception that's hard to emulate without being a complete copy. You can tell almost any story you want with any (new) characters you want because it doesn't have to fit into the main story in any way except they all died...except for Dr Halsey.

All that being said, I think the biggest opportunity for interesting alternate Halo stories right now would be something about the UNSC fighting insurrectionists immediately post-war. Move away from the alien stuff for a while and deal with the discomfort of humans killing each other after fighting to avoid extinction. Or lean into the alien stuff and focus on the Arbiter leading his fleet to track down remaining Prophet and Brute factions and wiping them out. I guess I'm saying that the post-war chaos has the biggest potential for interesting stories, but 343i really pushed through into the next big story beats and it's a little hard to move backwards at this point.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

All that being said, I think the biggest opportunity for interesting alternate Halo stories right now would be something about the UNSC fighting insurrectionists immediately post-war. Move away from the alien stuff for a while and deal with the discomfort of humans killing each other after fighting to avoid extinction. Or lean into the alien stuff and focus on the Arbiter leading his fleet to track down remaining Prophet and Brute factions and wiping them out. I guess I'm saying that the post-war chaos has the biggest potential for interesting stories, but 343i really pushed through into the next big story beats and it's a little hard to move backwards at this point.

they could always pull another ODST and put all sorts of stuff in the gaps between 3 and the 343 games

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Everything after this is going to "new" halo to me so I'll have to start actually paying attention.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That was a nice ending of the game. I'm a huge sucker for gauntlet runs where you get to mow down hordes of enemies.

And I think I have my timelines a bit fuzzy, but where those Covenant ships glassing the city or ex-Covvies trying to put down the Flood?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That was a nice ending of the game. I'm a huge sucker for gauntlet runs where you get to mow down hordes of enemies.

And I think I have my timelines a bit fuzzy, but where those Covenant ships glassing the city or ex-Covvies trying to put down the Flood?

Starting the Portal excavation. This is still just a day after Metropolis, the Flood won't show up for a couple months.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Gotcha, thanks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kibayasu posted:

It also helps that in 40K, the setting is so massive that there can be loads of major cataclysmic situations that need no major continuities between games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

bewilderment posted:

I feel like it could have been greatly improved by switching the rookie and Dare. Since they won't let you man the gun and ate making you primarily fight by running over dudes, why not have given the player the shielded juggernaut trampling all the cars in its way?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

I feel like it could have been greatly improved by switching the rookie and Dare. Since they won't let you man the gun and ate making you primarily fight by running over dudes, why not have given the player the shielded juggernaut trampling all the cars in its way?

This series is deeply allergic to letting you play as a woman.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

This series is deeply allergic to letting you play as a woman.

...I think they mean "have the Rookie drive the garbage truck".

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Ablative posted:

...I think they mean "have the Rookie drive the garbage truck".

Look, who's driving is immaterial here: the only important thing is that they set up that scene and then had you play the person driving the warthog and not the one driving the garbage truck doomrolling down the highway.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So I'm still undecided about whether to play Halo: Reach or Halo 4 next. Originally I didn't want to take too long of a break between Halo 3 and Halo 4, but I'm going to end up doing that anyways. And I have some other plans for intermissions between the main Halo games in the future. Essentially I don't know that I have a great argument for skipping Halo: Reach at this point. I put up a poll on my YouTube channel about it, so if you have an opinion I'd appreciate it if you put a vote in.

FoolyCharged posted:

Look, who's driving is immaterial here: the only important thing is that they set up that scene and then had you play the person driving the warthog and not the one driving the garbage truck doomrolling down the highway.

The garbage truck is basically driving on a track, and I'm pretty sure they don't want to let the AI drive anything else because they're still god awful at it.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
I find the epilogue of ODST to be a bit anti-climactic. We go through all that trouble to get an Engineer who knows something about the Covenant, and it turns out to just be the thing that we already know about from the start of Halo 3.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Halo: Reach > Halo 4 imo

Even though Reach was a prequel without Master Chef, I'm still not sure what 4 was even about. Something about Protheans and different looking Elites? No ringworld but instead a Dyson sphere?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

No ringworld but instead a Dyson sphere?

Admittedly that wasn't new to Halo 4, they had one in Halo Wars. And the books.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Outpost22 posted:

Halo: Reach > Halo 4 imo

I wasn't trying to sort out which was better (I'm not sure it's much of an argument anyways lol). This whole thread I've been talking about how I was going to skip Reach because I feel like it's too much of a narrative departure from the series. But I never felt entirely confident about that decision and now I'm at the point where I do need to figure it out. Poll has been up for about a day and it's at 80% Reach, so I think that'll pretty much settle it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm trying to come up with a pun for not skipping it, but I always feel like they're Reaching a bit too much.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

XX - Bonus Content

A handful of extra stuff that I wasn't able to show in the main LP.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Was confused as hell by that easter egg of Frank O'Connor . Why is Bungie putting an old Irish author in their game, and why is he a janitor?

Then I check online and saw there was a Frank O'Connor at Bungie, too. Makes a bit more sense.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Was confused as hell by that easter egg of Frank O'Connor . Why is Bungie putting an old Irish author in their game, and why is he a janitor?

Then I check online and saw there was a Frank O'Connor at Bungie, too. Makes a bit more sense.

And the Bungie one's Scottish.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Oh yeah, and speaking of Whitconb, he has a face now!

And extremely powerful facial hair.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The fact that such a powerful moustache did not act as a barrier against death for Whitcomb is a failure unlike anything we've seen before.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Yeah, I would follow that moustache anywhere. Is that from the new Halo Encyclopedia?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

It is, yeah. Lot of people got new artwork. Lot of them got faces.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:hmmyes:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Donk

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
That's a great gif

I should probably mention that this thread will be on hold for a couple months. I'll be posting a Portal 2 LP while I get Halo: Reach ready to go.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Oh hey that's from Cursed Halo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Remalle posted:

Oh hey that's from Cursed Halo

You mean the show? I heard about the first episode, then almost nothing. I guess that means it wasn't good?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Samovar posted:

You mean the show? I heard about the first episode, then almost nothing. I guess that means it wasn't good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMxIjGjMJz0

throwing pistol is within the first two minutes, but the whole thing is a treat. InfernoPlus is an incredibly talented modder who only uses his powers for stupid

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Halo Wars was first announced at the X06 Xbox show in 2006 and was released in early 2009. It's the first Halo game not made by Bungie and the first to completely break the FPS mold. Halo Wars is a Real-Time Strategy (RTS) game developed by Ensemble Studios, who previously made the Age of Empires games. This game takes many recognizable elements from the main games and presents them in an entirely new way, and it works pretty drat well! Halo Wars was developed specifically and exclusively for the Xbox 360 and was actually designed to be played with a controller. As such, the controls and gameplay features are simpler and more streamlined compared to other RTS games. It still contains all the base building, resource management, and army commanding that you'd expect, but at a smaller scale and with some restrictions.

Halo Wars is a prequel story in the Halo universe. It takes place a full 20 years before the events of Halo and deals with some of the earliest battles in the Human-Covenant war. We play as the crew of the Spirit of Fire, a fleet support ship tasked with trying to maintain control over the planet Harvest. Harvest is where first contact was made with the Covenant and where the war started. The UNSC concentrated a lot of resources to push back the Covenant and retake the colony, but it remains hotly contested.

I do feel the need to point out that I really never intended to play this game for the LP. I'm not a big RTS guy, and I feel like Halo Wars' lore contributions to the Halo universe could be summed up in a bonus video. But I dislocated one of the fingers on my left hand, making it very difficult to play most video games. Rather than let this thread languish any longer, I figured what the heck let's do it. At the end of the day it is an interesting and fun game and it's just more Halo for the Halo thread.

01 - Alpha Base
02 - Relic Interior
XX - Arcadia City on Legendary
03 - Arcadia Outskirts
04 - Dome of Light
05 - Scarab
06 - Anders' Signal
07 - The Flood
08 - Shield World
09 - Cleansing
10 - Repairs
11 - Beachhead
12 - Reactor
13 - Escape

X06 Announce Trailer

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 30, 2023

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

01 - Alpha Base

If we're going to keep Harvest out of the Covenant's hands, we'll need a base...and an army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All Units