Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Madurai posted:

with a dark side

So just an otter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, I think the "human" part of the equation is the part she's hung up on more than anything else, as she was ready to kill Luz before she was an outlaw.

She was willing to kill Luz because Luz was "distracting" her daughter from her studies. Figure boy, girl, witchling or what, at that point anyone "distracting" Amity was in for a bad time from Odalia.

Meanwhile, Odalia really needs to get some perspective on this from Bradley "If the world is destroyed, who would we larceny against?" Buzzard. I mean with 90%+ of the Boiling Isles dead barring a few wild witches who would have very little in snails, to whom exactly is Odalia going to sell her abominations? You'd think she'd oppose Belos just to keep her market intact.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, I thought Belos’ plan was to wipe out the entire population so if the draining spell only affects those that bear a sigil I’m curious how he intends to clean up the remainder after the Day of Unity

Then again, they did say Eda’s curse had the potential to gently caress up the spell so it’s likely things won’t go as smoothly as he hopes

On another note, I was unaware until now that Kikimora was based on an actual mythological creature

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 23, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Thank you! I knew I had heard this somewhere before but I couldn't remember where

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Everyone posted:

She was willing to kill Luz because Luz was "distracting" her daughter from her studies. Figure boy, girl, witchling or what, at that point anyone "distracting" Amity was in for a bad time from Odalia.

Meanwhile, Odalia really needs to get some perspective on this from Bradley "If the world is destroyed, who would we larceny against?" Buzzard. I mean with 90%+ of the Boiling Isles dead barring a few wild witches who would have very little in snails, to whom exactly is Odalia going to sell her abominations? You'd think she'd oppose Belos just to keep her market intact.

I have to assume that Odalia was told a version of the Day of Unity that was more or less the "bad elements" would finally be dealt with (killed) and you will be rewarded for your part in bringing about this new world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly I wouldn’t mind too much if Odalia gets what she deserves, she’s been a toxic element in her children’s lives for a while (especially Amity) and was likely stringing her husband along the whole time too as she doesn’t really seem capable of loving someone (her entire persona is based purely on control and she’s kind of burned all her bridges at this point).

We’ll see I suppose, maybe there’s still a chance for them to surprise us. As others have said, at the very least she could stand to oppose Belos out of pragmatic reasons if nothing else (who’s going to buy from you when the people with the real money are all dead?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 23, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It could be that the Collector is deliberately being misrepresented - when we saw him in Belos' memories and he was gleefully talking about how everyone would die, maybe that wasn't what he was getting joy from. Maybe he was just excited because that happening would mean Belos would finally release him.

It could be that his destiny is a more benign one - King gets to talking with him, and offers him a better deal. A friendship without strings attached. From one megalomaniac to another, they thought they wanted toys, but really actual friends are FAR better, because the love is genuine and unconditional.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Happy Landfill posted:

Thank you! I knew I had heard this somewhere before but I couldn't remember where

The name was also used for ant monsters in the Witches games. That's where I first heard it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

It could be that the Collector is deliberately being misrepresented - when we saw him in Belos' memories and he was gleefully talking about how everyone would die, maybe that wasn't what he was getting joy from. Maybe he was just excited because that happening would mean Belos would finally release him.

It could be that his destiny is a more benign one - King gets to talking with him, and offers him a better deal. A friendship without strings attached. From one megalomaniac to another, they thought they wanted toys, but really actual friends are FAR better, because the love is genuine and unconditional.

I’d say the Collector has a better chance of redemption than Belos does at the very least (at the moment it’s kind of 50-50 on whether they actually want to cause chaos or is just lonely and want out of their dimensional prison), then again it’s possible there’s a good reason why they were locked up in the first place (if the flashback from a while ago was real they did try to trap Owl Eda at one point after all)

As far as I’m aware we still don’t know a whole lot about who or what they actually are (a fallen god with a connection to the titans maybe?) and there’s even some hints that their current shadow state isn’t their real form so I’ll be interested in learning more about that during the 4 remaining episodes.

Also if they’re called “The Collector” then what exactly did they collect?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 23, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Also if they’re called “The Collector” then what exactly did they collect?

If I had to guess, in between the whole of the Day of Unity plan being about draining/killing witches, plus how the Titan Hunters were apparently going to sacrifice King to summon another Collector, it's probably either souls or wild magic itself.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Getting some major Johnny Sasaki from Metal Gear Solid 4 vibes from Steve.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpiderLink posted:

Getting some major Johnny Sasaki from Metal Gear Solid 4 vibes from Steve.

Such as the fact that he’s been mostly a comic relief character throughout the series, was originally on the side of the enemy, and is actually kind of good looking underneath his mask. Wonder if that was intentional on the writers’ part (and if so, I wonder if they’re going to hook him up with Lilith by the end to complete the cycle)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Kikimura tries to avoid trouble at the end by sneaking through the portal while everyone else is fighting. Finds herself at a truckstop venting to some random humans about Belos terrible treatment of her, and they mention that that's why they unionised. 3 months later, Luz sees Kikimura driving past her house delivering groceries door to door, happier than she's ever been.

Inspired by the latest episode as she is basically reduced to a magic trucker now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, as I’ve said before while Amphibia ended with the worlds being permanently separated I don’t think Owl House’s finale is going to be quite as clear cut (there’s the whole Luz/Amity relationship to consider after all, it feels like Dana and her team fought way too hard for that to just give it up at the very end).

That said, I do hope we still get a timeskip of some kind at the end of this series as well though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 23, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, just building a portal-door that links the Owl House and the Noceda household feels like it would fix all the important problems and wouldn't be particularly difficult considering the brains and resources they have available, particularly if there's a magical renaissance after Belos's fall. Not like there's many people who really want and need a quick, easy way to cross over.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’d be the simplest solution, yeah (though I still want Camila to meet Eda and the others first to get her used to the idea as well as see firsthand the hero her daughter has become since she left)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
the hooty episode where he tries to help King know what he is already had a blood draw, so they've got a (presumably) renewable source of the main ingredient

they just need those little juice cups they give you

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There's going to be one hell of a boom when King starts his growth spurts. It'll be like Tinkerbell where at first pixie dust is really rare but then after one of the movies there is so much that it sparks a technological revolution, although in this case it'll be because King will be the size of a large building. "OH you need a pint of blood to do a thing? Sure, I've got gallons of the stuff..."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if there was some sort of intentional religious allegory between the juxtaposition of Phillip and Luz (one got trapped on the Isles, effectively fell from grace after turning on his brother, and devoted his life to building an elaborate scheme to destroy it while the other stayed willingly, developed something of a following among the locals through her actions and is going to eventually become their savior), plus the whole false prophet thing Belos has going on.

Also the legend a while back mentioned that it was a witch who trapped the Wittebane brothers in the demon realm in the first place so I’m also curious how true that is and if it’s going to come back into play later.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 23, 2022

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Preview image from the director of King's Tide:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Preview image from the director of King's Tide:

Welp, that’s ominous (when I first saw the description I thought the “king” in the title referred to Belos but now I’m worried)

Also according to a recent tweet by Dana, one of the plot points they had to drop due to the final season being cut down was Steve being Mattholomule's older half-brother

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 24, 2022

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeCatSU/status/1529319191043616768?t=eQtOKlLXj1N5HNQEA4-19g&s=19

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That tweet's replies sure are... Something :ohdear:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This season finale is going to hurt isn’t it

Hopefully the last 3 episodes after this won’t be too far behind at least (if some articles I read are to be believed the crew apparently has a start date for Season 3 already but won’t be revealing that information just yet)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 25, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, while she might have to alter her human disguise slightly and I’m not sure how they’d explain it to other people (especially living family members) I’d kind of like it if Vee continued to stay with the Noceda family even after everything’s all said and done.

I could also see Eda or Lilith possibly adopting Hunter as well since in a roundabout way he’s family (based on the portraits in Hollow Mind it’s highly probable that the witch Phillip’s brother hooked up with was a Clawthorne ancestor). As others have suggested, it might also be neat if he took back the Wittebane name and formally enrolled in Hexside.

Related, I’ve seen a few things online referring to Phillip’s brother as “Caleb”. Is this actually canon or just something fans came up with?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Related, I’ve seen a few things online referring to Phillip’s brother as “Caleb”. Is this actually canon or just something fans came up with?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce9zEIee-Uo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah right, well it’s something at least

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

More preview images from the crew:

https://twitter.com/danaterrace/status/1529644732162273280?s=21&t=9A9BHbFcAXP8vAADVeyAzw

https://twitter.com/heyrebeccarose/status/1529502626731024384?s=21&t=4xM2c4mndOKFUJbhkyeYsg

https://twitter.com/oh_heyyy_andy/status/1529481941644259328?s=21&t=ln5dBIoirCFFtccZewhhZg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

King’s going to die isn’t he :ohdear:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

King’s going to die isn’t he :ohdear:

I think he's just going to start the wrenching, traumatic process of growing up. These publicity images and his screentime in recent episodes have an extremely 'childhood's end' vibe to them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I think he's just going to start the wrenching, traumatic process of growing up. These publicity images and his screentime in recent episodes have an extremely 'childhood's end' vibe to them.

True, we don’t know how fast titans grow after all (though I suspect he’s at least going to try something drastic to stop the Day of Unity and whatever happens as a result will be the basis of the three part finale). Hell, the previous two episodes pretty strongly hinted at this like you said

That said, I am kind of curious if we’re going to get a rematch between Luz and Belos this week or if they’re saving that for the series endgame

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 27, 2022

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The blue is...worrying. It could be tears or...

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

More screenshots

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hopefully Season 3 won’t be too far behind because I have a feeling this finale is going to hurt (though based on the above screenshots I’m hoping Luz will at least be able to kick some rear end/humiliate Belos again before poo poo really hits the fan)

I’m also curious if/just how much Eda’s curse is going to gently caress things up for Belos.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 27, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Hopefully Season 3 won’t be too far behind because I have a feeling this finale is going to hurt (though based on the above screenshots I’m hoping Luz will at least be able to kick some rear end/humiliate Belos again before poo poo really hits the fan)

I’m also curious if/just how much Eda’s curse is going to gently caress things up for Belos.

I don't know, judging from the last episode and Odalia's mention that they know about the resistance, I wouldn't be surprised if the curse isn't somehow part of the plan in the first place. As usual, Luz is the wild card, since Hunter was supposed to be taken to Belos while Luz was going to be left behind. Before, of course, the opposite happened.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 28, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, judging from the last episode and Odalia's mention that they know about the resistance, I wouldn't be surprised if the curse isn't somehow part of the plan in the first place.

To be fair, Belos has underestimated Luz & Co. more than once in the past but yeah, I don't imagine things are going to go as smoothly as the resistance hopes they will either. With Luz on the inside and Eda currently disguised as Raine hopefully one or both of them will be able to do some damage beforehand if nothing else

Since the draining spell apparently only affects those with a sigil there will at least be a few people left to start fighting back when everything invariably goes to hell (length wise we do still have the equivalent of 6 episodes left to go following this after all), although I'm assuming Belos had some sort of cleanup plan in mind for after the Day of Unity considering his goal as I understand it was basically a total genocide of the island

But yeah, Luz is currently the biggest thorn in his side at the moment (she's human like he is so therefore the draining spell can't affect her and on top of knowing everything she's also firmly on the side of the demon realm to boot so he can’t control her either) so I'm curious to see how this all goes down

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 28, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Can't believe hooty x eda is canon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Season 2 has come to a close and that was not what I was expecting. The Collector has been revived, Belos is down (but probably not out as a piece of him landed on Hunter at the end) and seems like we’re going to be aping the last season of Amphibia a bit as Luz is now back in the human world but has apparently brought Amity, Willow, Gus, and Hunter along with her

I hope we have enough time for Amity and the others to explore the human realm a bit and for Luz to spend some quality time with her basalisk sister (some Camila & Amity interaction would be good as well, the poor girl needs a decent mother figure in her life)

I am sort of curious how the kids will get back to the demon realm though considering the portal was damaged during the fight, if Phillip was right it only had enough juice for one trip, and the gang has no current means of making another one

I’m even more curious to see how Season 3’s going to work now (hopefully we won’t have too long to wait)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 28, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
So out of everything else, my biggest takeaway is that Amphibia links to the same Earth as the Boiling Isle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Was not expecting Belos to turn into a splatter on the wall. That was surprisingly grisly.