Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Best Breakfast Potato Dish
Hash Browns
Home Fries
Skillet Potatoes or some other regional dish that no one has really heard of
View Results

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Inkdaub posted:

I love hash browns mostly because they are similar to fried potatoes.

1. Fried Potatoes
2. Hash Browns

this guy gets it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Home fries are good when they’re Patatas Bravas.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Vakal posted:

The answer should be diced hash browns.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

Honestly who the gently caress is calling potato wedges 'JoJos' you sound legitimately mentally handicapped or like a two year old.

Fucks sake they're potato wedges.
And to get them not undercooked and so they're fluffy inside and crisp outside you boil them in salted water for about 3-4 minutes before roasting them. I'm sorry the complete mental giants that clearly raised you were incapable of either doing this herculean task or being able to explain it to someone who insisted on calling them 'JoJos' which sounds like you're simultaneously eating crayons while saying it

You don't get out much, do you?

https://www.wweek.com/restaurants/reviews/2017/07/12/the-history-of-the-american-jojo-which-is-definitely-not-a-potato-wedge/

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

the history of both jojos and broasted chicken is interesting. both terms were trademarked at one point but now both have become generic like kleenex

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

Big Beef City posted:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Fixed those multiple spelling errors for you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the history of both jojos and broasted chicken is interesting. both terms were trademarked at one point but now both have become generic like kleenex

And chances are they got their broasters from Wisconsin which were invented here! As was the first broasted chicken!

We had a place here that sold "mojos" when I was very young and they were pretty good potato wedges. I don't think I've heard that term used at any other place here.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
po ta toes

boil em

mash em

put em in a stew

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
I wish garlic mashed potatoes were a breakfast thing.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

you can eat anything you want for breakfast, once you reach adulthood

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

grellgraxer posted:

I wish garlic mashed potatoes were a breakfast thing.

[Alucard Garlicsmacks kicks down your door] DID YOU KIDS SAY YOU WISH YOU COULD HAVE GARLIC MASHED POTATOES FOR BREAKFAST?!

barmk ima dog lol
Apr 6, 2022
Home Fries vs. Hash Browns vs. Rambo

Hash Browns win

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Playing Home Fries and Rambo against one another, clever.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Nooner how the heck was ya risotto?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Vakal posted:

The real question should be diced hash browns vs shredded hash browns.

I hate brunch places that just load up 3/4 of the plate with big cubes of potatoes.

Love the shredded variety tho, I make em at home pretty frequently. It's a bit of work tho.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shredded are the correct form of hash browns. Anything else is a pretender.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Shredded are the correct form of hash browns. Anything else is a pretender.

Right, because everything else is called "home fries" or something else

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
One, you shredd yourself and have water related issuses. Other, rehydrate filling those.

Result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSDLNjwIjbM

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If you shred them yourself, what I do is use a mandolin so it's faster and easier than a grater, and then salt them a little to start drawing the water out, then put them in a salad spinner and let rip on that bad boy.
Sucks all the water right out of them, you'd be surprised.
Then they fry up super crispy every time. Nice and easy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've seen people put the shredded hashbrowns in cheesecloth and twist until it wrings all the water out.

There is a LOT of water in those.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've seen people put the shredded hashbrowns in cheesecloth and twist until it wrings all the water out.

There is a LOT of water in those.

yeah I've done that but found that the salad spinner doesn't mush 'em, where the cheesecloth wringing can just get em all clumped up and sorta mashed. I mean, you're frying them anyway, but if you keep the shreds 'whole' instead of crushing them they keep shape better and seem to fry nicer. Plus you don't have to shake them and pick them out of the cloth which is sorta annoying.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

Honestly who the gently caress is calling potato wedges 'JoJos' you sound legitimately mentally handicapped or like a two year old.

Fucks sake they're potato wedges.
And to get them not undercooked and so they're fluffy inside and crisp outside you boil them in salted water for about 3-4 minutes before roasting them. I'm sorry the complete mental giants that clearly raised you were incapable of either doing this herculean task or being able to explain it to someone who insisted on calling them 'JoJos' which sounds like you're simultaneously eating crayons while saying it

:dafuq:
idk man I usually see it at bbq spots and little non-chain fast food and we both live in the midwest, right?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Home fries if I’m at an overpriced brunch spot, hash browns if I’m at Waffle House but I’m not paying 15 loving dollars for something I can make in 10 minutes very easily and I don’t drink enough to go to Waffle House so I only do either if someone else is paying

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hash Browns are preferred. Home fries have their uses but they're not the same. With Hashbrowns you get better versatility because they soak up the fried egg and gravy and whatnot better and the crisp adds texture. I usually suggest it as a base for the eggs and breakfast toppings. If you do the home fries right there's use for them but the hash is a step above.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

AKZ posted:

:dafuq:
idk man I usually see it at bbq spots and little non-chain fast food and we both live in the midwest, right?

you're just rubbing it in now and I refuse to acknowledge this as real or that this is happening to me

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Potato Wedges and JoJo's are two completely different things.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

the only places here that serve consistently good potato wedges are the local non-chain fried chicken places that are all cash-only, in absolutely decrepit buildings, and taste amazing and it feels wrong to me to eat potato wedges without fried chicken now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hash browns when bad are usually still pretty good.

But bad home fries can genuinely ruin the meal. Voting Hashbrowns

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

Big Beef City posted:

you're just rubbing it in now and I refuse to acknowledge this as real or that this is happening to me

I have never once in my life heard of "JoJo's". poo poo sounds preposterous.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Charles Bukowski posted:

Nooner how the heck was ya risotto?

We got too busy and had a super late lunch yesterday so i didnt make it! Im making it tonight though will post trip report!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

grellgraxer posted:

I have never once in my life heard of "JoJo's". poo poo sounds preposterous.

When this world falls away, you and I will stand. Together. With actual fried potato products.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Potatoe wedges are just large steak fries, and don't get me wrong I like em, but it's not the same as a jojo, which is battered and fried. I've seen a trend towards calling jojo's potatoe wedges, which is wrong and adds ambiguity, but everywhere that does this knows what you're asking for when you say jojo so I'm not sure what rock you have to live under to have not heard the term.

For reference I was born in the midwest and now live in the pnw so we're talking at least 2/3rds of the country knows about it, maybe east coast or southwest is missing out I dunno.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Children of the corn.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ArbitraryC posted:

so I'm not sure what rock you have to live under to have not heard the term.

Things are different in other regions of the country.

I've never heard of them here. thb I don't even think I heard of them when I was in Seattle. I don't know how popular they really are there. I don't know, I never ran into them in 7 years being out there. :shrug:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Things are different in other regions of the country.

I've never heard of them here. thb I don't even think I heard of them when I was in Seattle. I don't know how popular they really are there. I don't know, I never ran into them in 7 years being out there. :shrug:

I lived around a decade in Seattle. I guarantee you can walk into literally any grocery store that has a deli with hot food, ask for a quarter pound of jojo's, and they will give you a parcel containing probably closer to a third of a pound of jojo's without batting an eye.

In fact I challenge anyone who doesn't recognize the term or thinks it's an obscure thing to try this. I'd bet money no one is ever going to ask a clarifying question about what you are ordering because it's common.

It's not a regional thing, and I know regional. Ordering a coke, getting asked what kind, and saying sprite was a normal exchange where I was born.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nein. People are people. Why can't you see?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

ArbitraryC posted:

I lived around a decade in Seattle. I guarantee you can walk into literally any grocery store that has a deli with hot food, ask for a quarter pound of jojo's, and they will give you a parcel containing probably closer to a third of a pound of jojo's without batting an eye.

In fact I challenge anyone who doesn't recognize the term or thinks it's an obscure thing to try this. I'd bet money no one is ever going to ask a clarifying question about what you are ordering because it's common.

It's not a regional thing, and I know regional. Ordering a coke, getting asked what kind, and saying sprite was a normal exchange where I was born.

I remember seeing jojos all over the drat place when I first moved to the PNW 28 years ago (gently caress), but it seems like I see them less now. Or maybe I just don’t notice anymore. Whatever the case, any chain grocery deli will still 100% have them.

Never saw them in the Midwest where I grew up though.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

It's not a regional thing, and I know regional.

There's multiple people in this thread saying they've never seen or heard them called that, or only in various areas that they've been to.
That's the definition of 'regional', so you might want to strike that off your application.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
risotto was big hit even though i didnt even make it right cause the dang onion I just bought yesterday was all rotten on the inside so i had to make it without onion :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nooner posted:

risotto was big hit even though i didnt even make it right cause the dang onion I just bought yesterday was all rotten on the inside so i had to make it without onion :argh:

I made your sprouts thing

Post the risotto recipe