Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

1stGear posted:

Lol and, I cannot emphasize this enough, lmao

Even lmfao, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Skwirl posted:

The target makes certain assumptions pretty safe. A school, who knows, a synagogue or majority black church, probably safe to assume white supremacy was the motivation

Also, keep in mind, someone doesn't have to be white to be a white supremacist.

There's also occasionally some non-americentric racist hate going on. Like the 68 year old Mainland Chinese guy who shot up a Taiwanese church in California 9 days ago...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Skwirl posted:

But it helps!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Oh, poo poo. LeClerc is on the case! Step aside, coppers! This false flag has been exposed! :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/roadofnothing/status/1529271161455988736

Skwirl posted:

Oh, absolutely. I was gonna say "Lol, what if the shooter turns out to be a minority AND a white supremacist", but didn't wanna seem too glib (is that the word I'm looking for?). For example, the Black dude who tried (and failed) to attack the NYC subway car seemed to hate his own race, particularly Black women.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There's also occasionally some non-americentric racist hate going on. Like the 68 year old Mainland Chinese guy who shot up a Taiwanese church in California 9 days ago...

:yeah: That's what I was thinking of. To use today as an example, "town with 80%+ Latino population had a school shooting" could absolutely mean "Outsider from elsewhere came to a different community to kill them" (such as in the Buffalo shooting)...OR it could mean "Insider from the community attacked his own community, because that is who is around him and thus easiest to reach" (such as the 2005 Red Lake school shooting, blanking on a more recent example).

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Woozie66 posted:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1529234787579355136?t=HA7cug8rQl4yaHrm4nFYDg&s=19

I just...can't fathom thinking this was a good idea to put out there

It’s his entire job to poo poo out evil garbage like this.

Nucleic Acids has a new favorite as of 03:30 on May 25, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Didn't it turn out he was originally from Taiwan as well?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm gonna be honest, the worst sin of this is the soundtrack, which is unselfconscious Millennial bait. The integration of the animation and live actors is not bad, the voice acting is decent, over all it seems like the NFT tie in is a weird branding move that wasn't necessary. It seems derivative and nostalgia-driven, but I mean it's 2022 that's what shows are. I almost wish it had been attempted without the NFT angle, it might have been fine.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah but without the crypto tie in they wouldn't have that sweet sweet SEO

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Didn't it turn out he was originally from Taiwan as well?

Yeah he was a Taiwanese-born pro-China guy.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Censored the names again since it's just someone being generally dumb, and not something gross posted publicly that should he shamed:

So in an ad for battery backups a person is asking if they could save money by charging the battery and then running appliances off the battery instead of their wall socket. Even including "Can I charge the battery while draining it?"
:psyduck: do they think batteries are magic? How would that reduce their energy bill?
I could maybe squint and see "I'll charge a ton of stuff late at night, and switch to the battery during peak usage rates" but they explicity asked if plugging the battery into the wall, then plugging things into the battery could help.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's a pretty innocent stupidity, really. Someone who didn't have a great science education could easily see the ad copy for batteries saying they're good for your energy efficiency and genuinely not be sure if it will still help even if you don't have the rest of the equipment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I mean, no one understands how batteries work.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
and it gets worse
https://twitter.com/caitlanswilber/status/1529274366386753537

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Skwirl posted:

You joke, but it’s really not that complex.

It’s a battery when you lay hands on the other person. Assault is actually specifically the act of threatening physical violence, it becomes battery as soon as you commit it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Skwirl posted:

I thought it was magnets people didn't understand...

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's entirely possible to save money by charging a big ol' battery during off-peak times and using it to power AC and whatnot during peak times.

It's not clear if that person is in any way referring to that, though.

Also any useful battery for this would not be cheap.

stringless has a new favorite as of 12:03 on May 25, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

FFT posted:

It's entirely possible to save money by charging a big ol' battery during off-peak times and using it to power AC and whatnot during peak times.

It's not clear if that person is in any way referring to that, though.

Also any useful battery for this would not be cheap.

The last bit makes me lean towards magical thinking, not off-peak charging, because like you said it would take massive investment and cells -and certainly not the sort of stuff being hawked on an FB ad. Especially running something like AC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samovar posted:

Aren't they just bastard cousins of each other?

Like I know you can make a magnet with a battery and some copper, but I have no idea why.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Coolness Averted posted:

The last bit makes me lean towards magical thinking, not off-peak charging, because like you said it would take massive investment and cells -and certainly not the sort of stuff being hawked on an FB ad. Especially running something like AC.
You left out that it was for a "BLUETTI", which is apparently a brand of power back-ups and solar panels

Not even magical thinking if the person was just as bad at describing what they wanted to do as they were at spelling the brand name

But, yeah, probably magical thinking -- outlet -> battery -> AC must be super efficient obviously

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Skwirl posted:

Aren't they just bastard cousins of each other?

Like I know you can make a magnet with a battery and some copper, but I have no idea why.

That's an electromagnet. Those are deceptively simple; anything that has an active direct current is slightly magnetic, and by spooling the copper you align all those little magnets and they stack and make one big one.

It's the non-electric magnets that are the magical ones.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's an electromagnet. Those are deceptively simple; anything that has an active direct current is slightly magnetic, and by spooling the copper you align all those little magnets and they stack and make one big one.

It's the non-electric magnets that are the magical ones.

This is literal magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7tIi71-AjA&t=8s

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, that's what I said. No batteries in sight. :colbert:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There is electricity at work there, though. Just like an electric current is magnetic, a moving magnetic field generates electricity. The magnet induces a current in the pipe, and the current in turn makes a magnetic field, which slows down the magnet.

Magnetism is just electricity rotated through the imaginary dimension

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, that's what I said. No batteries in sight. :colbert:

Picking something up and then holding it up high is actually a mechanical battery.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Kenning posted:

I'm gonna be honest, the worst sin of this is the soundtrack, which is unselfconscious Millennial bait. The integration of the animation and live actors is not bad, the voice acting is decent, over all it seems like the NFT tie in is a weird branding move that wasn't necessary. It seems derivative and nostalgia-driven, but I mean it's 2022 that's what shows are. I almost wish it had been attempted without the NFT angle, it might have been fine.

It’s a cynical of me but wouldn’t the point of using Seth’s own NFT ape be that the price of Seth’s own NFT ape goes up? I think I saw a headline that the NFT game was petering out so maybe this will drive some fresh money into the NFT ponzi.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Baron von Eevl posted:

Picking something up and then holding it up high is actually a mechanical battery.

https://youtu.be/RHrlnnbJuDg

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

christmas boots posted:

In a way that's even funnier than any reply could ever be
:hmmyes:

Baron von Eevl posted:

Only if you do it with your left hand, if you do this with your right hand it's a electromagnetic battery.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair I assume a large amount of immigrants are just buying America propaganda rather than making well researched decisions.

That's pretty loving dehumanizing and insulting but go off

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Actually I think you trying to use them as some sort of gotcha is way more dehumanizing and really gross but I think your to shameless to realize that

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/jonatha00412152/status/1529422804453675009?s=21&t=6nVPb4UltrRfef7o6H4koQ

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like I was taught evolution wrong

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Baron von Eevl posted:

:science: This is how water towers work, and why you can assume if you see one built on a hill it's at or near the highest point locally! They use pumps to "charge" the "battery", then discharge it during times of high usage!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
the THEORY of evolution shot those kids

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Eh, as an immigrant I can’t really argue against it. Especially with older generations. My parents moved to the US specifically because they believed it was a ludicrously wealthy country and they also wanted to escape what they perceived to be encroaching fascism. My partner moved to the US because she wanted to find out herself if the rumors about the US she grew up with (as someone from South America) were true. Even now as I travel between countries in Europe and South America meeting old friends and their friends I can’t even begin to count how many of them want to move to the US because they genuinely believe they’ll have an easier time earning money and getting healthcare. The US is exceptionally good at making itself seem like the best place in the world to people abroad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Eh, as an immigrant I can’t really argue against it. Especially with older generations. My parents moved to the US specifically because they believed it was a ludicrously wealthy country and they also wanted to escape what they perceived to be encroaching fascism. My partner moved to the US because she wanted to find out herself if the rumors about the US she grew up with (as someone from South America) were true. Even now as I travel between countries in Europe and South America meeting old friends and their friends I can’t even begin to count how many of them want to move to the US because they genuinely believe they’ll have an easier time earning money and getting healthcare. The US is exceptionally good at making itself seem like the best place in the world to people abroad

It’s not degumanizing in the slightest. I would argue it’s the exact opposite. Immigrants are people and people generally don’t make rational decisions.

Literally the only people who believe they do is libertarians.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Samovar posted:

iCP sagely asked how magnets work, not what magnets do. Most people know the latter, very few know the former. Rock on Shaggy 2 Dope and Violent J.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I present to you the wrongest tweet of all time

https://twitter.com/michaeljknowles/status/1529089665529221120